FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Agromat

Protection Warrior log for review

Hi everyone,

I had the good fortune to get in a Group Finder raid with a very good tank who destroyed my DPS throughout the night, and who suggested I post my logs here for review, so here are some links:

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/AZdqrc4pW38hJfMB#fight=5&type=summary

My Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/chogall/Agromat/simple

Essentially, I'm looking for things I'm missing. I'm trying to maintain the rotation, not waste rage, save charges of shield block for when I'll need them - that sort of thing. I don't know what I don't know, and I would love DPS tips, or things that can improve my survivability, or even just some tips of what to look for in Warcraft Logs.

I linked to Twin Ogron since they're the fight with most consistent uptime, but I'd love any suggestions on any encounters.

Thanks, everyone!

- Agromat

So I took a glance at your armory this morning and you had mastery enchants and gems. I'd recommend going with crit. Right now, crit gives 1% parry at about the same rate that mastery gives 1% block. Thus, you get more damage reduction from a crit-focused build than a mastery build with similar smoothness due to Shield Block.

Looking at your active mitigation usage, you have a very nearly absolute maximum uptime on SBlk. A high uptime is good, but make sure you're planning your usage as well. You want a good uptime (which you have), but also want to make sure you're not wasting SBlk when the boss isn't hitting you because of casting or any other reason. Looking at your SBars, I see an average size of 13k. Considering I normally see around 40k even in heroic dungeons, this seems low to me. I'd recommend making sure you have 60 rage before using SBar. They're pretty pathetic at 60 rage, so any less makes them nearly useless. Not entirely useless, of course, since you still mitigated 511k damage with SBar.

I see you used Shockwave for this fight. I would not recommend Shockwave for Twin Ogron. I see five uses of Bloodbath, but only 4 uses of Ravager. Make sure you're syncing those up to get the most out of your CDs. As far as defensive CDs go, I see only one use of Shield Wall and one of Demo Shout and no Last Stands. Make sure you're utilizing your defensives.

Looking at your rage, you gained a total of 2905 and wasted a total of 149 rage, or 5%. So there's room for improvement there. Make sure you're using Heroic Strike or Shield Barrier to dump rage instead of capping.

I think with better talent choices and making sure you're using all of your rage, you'll be seeing better DPS fairly easily.

I have no idea why my Shield Barriers are averaging so low, relative to what you're seeing in heroics. I don't think I'm activating it for less than 60 rage, but I may be hitting it in a panic whenever I don't have anything else I can do to prevent damage, and throwing away rage for little value.

I have heard other reports of tanks seeing 16k max Shield Barriers when tanking bosses vs. packs, so maybe that's just what it is. I'll poke around WarcraftLogs for some great warrior tanks and see what they're doing. Any suggestions?

Ravager is interesting as prot. I've started using it as a defensive cooldown because of the 30% parry bonus. I am probably leaving a lot of damage on the table as a result.

Thanks for taking a look.

Edit: Removed a question about crit vs. mastery after reading the smoothing vs. DTPS section of your tanking post.

Edited by Agromat

Crit is better both for damage output and intake at this stage. For the same amount of stats, you get 1% parry from crit and 1 % block from mastery. Basically you'll end up with the same percent chance to mitigate 30% or avoid 100%. Thus, crit is significantly better. With SBlk, you really don't have to worry about being spiky either. Essentially, we have so little stats available at this point that the DR on parry is very low and we should be taking advantage of the lower damage intake.

Panic SBars are likely your culprit for the low values. Are you using any addons or WAs to track your estimated SBar size?

Using Ravager as a CD is perfectly fine, just toss Bloodbath in on top of it to take full advantage of everything it offers.

Crit is better both for damage output and intake at this stage. For the same amount of stats, you get 1% parry from crit and 1 % block from mastery. Basically you'll end up with the same percent chance to mitigate 30% or avoid 100%. Thus, crit is significantly better. With SBlk, you really don't have to worry about being spiky either. Essentially, we have so little stats available at this point that the DR on parry is very low and we should be taking advantage of the lower damage intake.

Panic SBars are likely your culprit for the low values. Are you using any addons or WAs to track your estimated SBar size?

Using Ravager as a CD is perfectly fine, just toss Bloodbath in on top of it to take full advantage of everything it offers.

I don't mean to highjack this thread but reading your last couple posts has me wondering about something.

Basically I've been following the prot warrior guide here on Icy and it says to stack mastery enchants and gems. Has that changed recently? Should I be using crit enchants/gems now?

Edited by Phobia253

The site guide is really only considering the fact that mastery, in general out-performs crit for smoothing damage. What it's missing is the interplay of diminishing return's effects on parry. Once we can have quite a bit of crit, we'll get less and less parry chance from it, making it less useful for survivability. At current gear levels, however, the number of stat points required to get 1% parry is roughly equal to the number of stat points to get 1% static block/1% crit block. Thus, by choosing crit>mastery, you're getting significantly lower damage intake with very little spikiness since we have Shield Block whether we stack mastery or not. Further, there are a couple of debuffs that can be avoided, which is rather nice. Ultimate, whether crit or mastery is better really depends on parry's DR. In this tier, we're not going to have enough crit to worry about that, so it's safe to say that crit is better than mastery for now. Additionally, you get the benefit of extra rage. Shield Barrier needs a big buff to make the extra rage the primary reason for gearing crit, but even now it is still beneficial.

To answer your second question, I would highly recommend crit enchants and gems.

I hope that cleared some things up. You can also check out my prot guide that is pinned at the top of this forum for further perspective.