MarcusK

MM Questions / Clarifications

9 posts in this topic

Hey there. 

First, love the site. Thanks for all the info, general game related and class guides.

Now I don't lose any sleep over (not) being top DPS at all times. There are too may variables at this stage, and all I really care about is performing my role properly. 

I've been unlucky with trinkets (bought the Exarchs one and got one from missions) and got the Apexis cloak. This did help in performance, but I'm not really here to discuss numbers, cos I don't get them tbh.

1- Barrage v/s Glaive Toss: Considering the very long range of Barrage that can seemingly pull from behind hills (noticed in Everbloom) is it still much better than GT and therefore more advisable? (I know I can switch between encounters, if we're not worried about pulls, and more importantly, just position myself better)

2- Rapid Fire: At the start of the fight, Careful Aim is active. Would it then make sense to cast RF once the target drops below 80% instead of anyway at the start of the fight? Knowing some fights take long enough, I've tried experimenting with both, and have noticed some increase in DPS by starting the fight with RF. Not sure though as I can't use sims to save my life. So it may have been purely based on the group.

3- Kill Shot: I've frequently noticed that when it crits, Kill Shot deals more damage than Chimera. (again might be fluke) My question therefore is, should I cast KS as soon as it is off cd AND when available as a top priority? or does Chimera remain the top shot?

4- On Use Trinkets: I've first played a hunter back in Cata for a short while, and have come back to the game since 1 month before WoD release. My knowledge of using trinkets is limited, and had the habit (even in WoD levelling) of getting proc trinkets. If I were to macro the use of said trinket, would I macro it into a top shot? or leave it in it's own macro/keybind?

In case it might be of any help, here's a link to my armory

Thanks again for the info, the site, the support and guidance.

Cheers

1. On pure single target, using Barrage is a DPS loss, and using GT is a very minor DPS gain. In AOE situations, Barrage is ways more useful, especially considering MM's otherwise lackluster AOE. But you have to position yourself carefully to not pull additional mobs. Usually I just run behind the mobs, where melee DPSers are. 

GT is also useful to cast 1 second before the pull, so you get trinkets to proc before you start casting CS / AiS. 

2. You should start the fight with RF. It's been simmed as DPS gain. 

3. CS, KS and Crows have roughly the same priority, so cast first whichever seems more appriopriate. For example, you can cast KS while regenning focus to cast CS right after. 

4. Macro on-use trinkets into RF, if the cooldown matches up, and into CS if it doesn't.

1 minute cooldown syncs nicely with Crows.

Edited by Iridar
1 person likes this

Thanks for the reply. If I may elaborate further:

While many boss fights have adds (multiple targets), there are times when it's just the boss. At which point I usually do not use Barrage. As such, and based on your comment, the suggestion is to still keep it over GT since the DPS gain in single target is minor. Would that be correct?

I do enjoy the "Positioning Challenge" of Barrage, yet another layer to the gameplay. In any case GT didn't do it for me from a gameplay perspective.

Two questions I forgot to ask are about AoE:

a- I'm placing Explosive Trap when agains 2+ targets. I typically launch it midway through my rotation (after top 3). Should I be doing so earlier or is it just fine like that? (haven't noticed much change)

b- Considering that Multi-shot seems to be lacking (from comments here and a bit from experience), is it worth it to try and get bombardment, which would then require more MS?

Sorry for asking about these at a basic level, and I truly appreciate you taking the time.

Thanks a million :)

While many boss fights have adds (multiple targets), there are times when it's just the boss. At which point I usually do not use Barrage. As such, and based on your comment, the suggestion is to still keep it over GT since the DPS gain in single target is minor. Would that be correct?

Yes, that's how I do it. GT is pretty weak right now, myself I'd probably lose more DPS trying to cast it in optimal way rather than not casting it all. So I wouldn't take it except for fight where purely single target DPS is required, like The Butcher, which also happens to be a huge DPS check. 

You're correct in your priority of explosive trap.

Multi-shot is weak. Think of Barrage and Exp. Trap as your main AOE damage sources. Only use multi shot when things get really crowded, like 6+ targets that would survive 10+ seconds. Considering crit is our top stat, it would be a surprise if you didn't get Bombardment on your very first multishot. 

When you cast first multishot, pause a little to make sure you got Bombardment buff, and then spam multishot. Try to keep the bombardment buff for as long as you can (as long as you need to AOE). Casting 40 focus multishots without Bombardment's damage buff is a huge waste, and you need to compensate for it by not needing to get it up again. 

2. You should start the fight with RF. It's been simmed as DPS gain.

Can I ask why this is?

Is it so that you can use it more than twice in fights that go for more than 4 minutes?

I just don't see how stacking CA can be better per cast of RF

Can I ask why this is?

Is it so that you can use it more than twice in fights that go for more than 4 minutes?

I just don't see how stacking CA can be better per cast of RF

Probably because with RF you get more AiS casts off during CA, and yes, to get cooldown rolling sooner.

We had 3 MM hunters in our 15 man Butcher heroic yesterday, and CA phase took ~50 seconds for us to push through, that's almost half of RF's cooldown, which would take even more if we didn't use RF.

Edited by Iridar

It's basically why I tested it. Wanted to see how many I could squeeze per run (hc) always making sure it was off cd at the bosses. 

I did notice a difference in output and posted here for confirmation from those better than I with the math/sims behind it all. :)

There's no real need for sims to understand it.

If you use RF during CA, you get 15 seconds of CA, boosted by RF.

If you use RF outside of CA, you still get 15 second of CA, boosted by RF. 

So using RF outside of CA, logically, should be a DPS boost.

But, you have to account for the fact that you get your trinkets + scope proc at the start of the fight, so you get to cast more AiS, boosted by trinkets. 

And, this will result in DPS boost in fights where casting RF early will mean casting additional RF later on. Normally, this is unpredictable, except for certain fights, like the Butcher heroic, which will last surely less than 6 minutes, yet very probably more than 4 minutes. 

Simulationcraft is more of a "in general" tool in this case, because by default it varies the fight length by 20%. It is probable that sometimes delaying RF would be a DPS boost, but in general it is best to cast it at the start.

Edited by Iridar