FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Ziaru

What would be the ideal Challenge Mode setup?

What would be the ideal talents/glyph choices for Challenge Mode runs? (Frost Mage)

Would be helpful with a little reasoning behind each choice please

Looking to do silver+ runs as a Frost Mage (Full 630+) but not sure PC and FB are ideal for the CM situations. 

Thanks in advance

I'd go

Blazing Speed

Ice Barrier (or Alter Time if I predict a huge burst that could be mitigated by it)

Ring of Frost

Cauterize
Ice Nova for sure. Aoe interrupt, huge burst, can be shatter comboed.

Incanter's flow or Mirror Image. Need more damage on trash? IF. More on bosses? MI.

PC definitely. Huge burst on trash packs, and very very decent on bosses too.

Glyphs:

CoC. Can be shatter comboed, use it on CD.

Splitting Ice ofc
3rd one is preference one, but I'd go for Water Elemental. in CMs I like to have it near me, so I can always do my shatter combo 100% sure.

Glyph of Momentum as minor. You can blink backwards, while shooting tongue.png

That being said, Berlinia has a bit more experience in current CMs so, he will probably tell me I'm noob because.... :D

• Like 1

Would Ice Floes be a viable option instead of Blazing Speed? I feel Blazing would only be useful on a small variety of fights

The rest sounds pretty solid, thanks!

I'd go

Blazing Speed

Ice Barrier (or Alter Time if I predict a huge burst that could be mitigated by it)

Ring of Frost

Cauterize
Ice Nova for sure. Aoe interrupt, huge burst, can be shatter comboed.

Incanter's flow or Mirror Image. Need more damage on trash? IF. More on bosses? MI.

PC definitely. Huge burst on trash packs, and very very decent on bosses too.

Glyphs:

CoC. Can be shatter comboed, use it on CD.

Splitting Ice ofc
3rd one is preference one, but I'd go for Water Elemental. in CMs I like to have it near me, so I can always do my shatter combo 100% sure.

Glyph of Momentum as minor. You can blink backwards, while shooting tongue.png

That being said, Berlinia has a bit more experience in current CMs so, he will probably tell me I'm noob because.... biggrin.png

In CMs I don't take Blazing Speed because of its usefulness in the fights. I prefer it, as a speed boost to pull faster.

Also it can more easily "mitigate" a lethal damage than Ice Floes.

But of course, it's viable. Try out both!.. :)

Yeah I feel both are situational talents

Thanks

In CMs I don't take Blazing Speed because of its usefulness in the fights. I prefer it, as a speed boost to pull faster.

But of course, it's viable. Try out both!.. smile.png

But of course, it's viable. Try out both!.. smile.png

I honestly feel naked with out Blazing Speed. I took icy floes for Butcher since it's dps increase for knockback, but i didn't feel safe again until I had my Blazing Speed

Edited by Conamus

As iv only played with Ice Floes throughout WoD (Used Blazing when I PvPed in MoP) I would feel the same as you without Ice Floes tongue.png I suppose both are situational and personal preference talent choices

I honestly feel naked with out Blazing Speed. I took icy floes for Butcher since it's dps increase for knockback, but i didn't feel safe again until I had my Blazing Speed

it can more easily "mitigate" a lethal damage than Ice Floes.

Obviously provides no mitigation at all, it's not that sort of talent. The speed increase is great but you obviously have to stop casting (presuming you are probably casting a frostbolt), which is certainly a DPS loss despite being small. With an Icy Flows/FB macro you can simply use it (just click it midway through your normal FB cast) and move away from any of the 'lethal' incoming damage you're referring. If there were any very fast avoidable mechanics in WoD content I guess BS could be useful - but then why not just Blink? smile.png

I'd say take IF over BS 

Edited by Lawrence

Obviously provides no mitigation at all, it's not that sort of talent. The speed increase is great but you obviously have to stop casting (presuming you are probably casting a frostbolt), which is certainly a DPS loss despite being small. With an Icy Flows/FB macro you can simply use it (just click it midway through your normal FB cast) and move away from any of the 'lethal' incoming damage you're referring. If there were any very fast avoidable mechanics in WoD content I guess BS could be useful - but then why not just Blink? smile.png

I'd say take IF over BS 

And what will you do IE on UBRS Warlord Zaela CM, when you get a dragon on your head. You Blink... Then, you have it on CD an will walk through slowly some fire stuff, which on CMs, are lethal. That's what I meant as "mitigation" :)

We could go on about arguing if BS or IF is better. They are both good in certain cituations. :3