Just a bit of help with Elemental...

4 posts in this topic

Hello Icy Veins. It's been a while since I last asked for a second opinion on my rotations and stuff but I have approached a crossroads regarding my DPS. I don't know if this is average but I'm pulling around 13K or so on stationary fights. Sometimes it is much higher and other times lower than it should be. So I'd like for someone to take a look at my spell usage, and see if it can be improved. I've reached my wits end and need another perspective. 

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/aerie-peak/Rafeke/advanced is my armory profile if my gearing seems to be an issue.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fr8PjM9kyN3Fd64x#fight=35&type=summary contains the logs used for that night. The one that would probably be of interest is the Butcher Heroic attempts. 

If anyone reads this, I am thankful and appreciative of whatever assistance can be directed toward me. 

Hey bud,

I looked at the logs and fight replay and I'll give helping you out a shot.  I am by no means an expert at reading logs, but I do see some things out of place.  You should know that we got a significant DPS bump on Monday, so your numbers will look better the next time you raid.  

Here's the short story:  Yes, your DPS is bad for your ilevel.  Nowhere near as bad as the other ranged players in your group, though.

Here's the long story, broken down by topics:

Tactics for fight:

Before we even go into your rotation, I want you to consider how important strategy/tactics can be for the very static elemental shaman.  Every time you have to move you lose a significant amount of your DPS.  This is resolved in two ways: Stay put as much as you can, and maximize Spiritwalker's Grace usage.  The first thing I see on the log you posted (the last Butcher wipe, i'm assuming) is that your group's ranged players were pretty mobile.  The only movement that should happen for ranged on that fight is getting knocked back for bounding cleave and the immediate stack of ranged players to soak the cleave.  That takes probably 5 seconds, at best.   

It doesn't look like you used Spiritwalker's Grace at all during the fight.  Although Spiritwalker's Grace wasn't significant in MoP, it is now one of our most important cooldowns.  There are two glyphs for it: one that extends its usage time while maintaining its 2m cooldown, and another that halves it's duration and benefits.  The one that halves its duration and benefits is of great use on most fights in Highmaul, and the Butcher encounter is no exception.  It just happens that its usage synchronizes perfectly with the bounding cleave and range stacks, so you shouldn't be losing any effective dps until 30%, when the bounding cleaves hasten.

Rotation and Cooldown usage:

I'll start with talents first.

All our talents are pretty much ballpark equal in dps output.  But not all of them are used the same way.  Usage of Elemental Blast is perfectly fine, but if you do pick it over Unleash, you should be using Unleash every time you have to move short to medium distances but don't need to refresh searing totem, flameshock or unload with fulmination.  It gives a ghostwolf-life movementspeed bump for 4 seconds.  

I prefer the Unleash talent myself, because it makes my playstyle feel faster. With it, every time I have to cast any of the following, I reposition in a more convenient spot depending on what the encounter requires net: Searing Totem, Unleash Flame, Earthshock, Flameshock, Lavasurged LvB.  Remember that for each insta-cast spell you get 1.5 seconds of movement at no DPS loss.  

Now to the rotation.

It looks like you kept searing totem down only once.  That totem has to be kept up as close to 100% as you can, barring your Fire Elemental totem which should be up at the beginning of the fight.  It doesn't look like you used your Fire Elemental totem at all, but maybe that's because it was on cooldown from a previous wipe?  Please consider the glyph that halves the Fire Elemental's duration and cooldown.  It should be used on most fights on normal and many on heroic, as some do not last 6 minutes (the ideal fight duration for unglyphed fire elemental) 

It looks like you kept flameshock on the target close to 100%(provided that logs say 86%  because you were only alive for 86% of the fight), but it does not look like you used your fulmination stacks appropriately.  You should Earthshock somewhere between 17-20 stacks.  I sometimes do 15 if I have to move, but rarely lower. There's periods in your rotation where fulmination stacks were at 20 for some time.

Lastly there's raid preparation

It doesn't look like you used an intellect potion pre-pull or during the encounter.  Maybe I am reading the logs wrong on that one.  Also it looks like you do not have your weapon enchanted.  Even the lesser enchant is a dps boost.  

A big part of success at raiding goes into having your UI optimized for it, with weakauras and dbm warnings being readily available for view.  If you post a picture of it, I can give you some hints.  Similarly, if you mouseclick on any buttons on your screen, you're likely losing dps because of the higher reaction time.  

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  

Edited by Fendal
3 people like this

@ Fendal, my biggest issue or complication with Fulmination discharge is that I'll often get the required stack amount when it is time to refresh my flame shock or I'll realize I had high stacks going into Ascendance. Other than just being more prescient about discharging before Ascendance, is there much else I can do? I've been practicing discharging at roughly 15 stacks at all times but I feel that is overcompensating for spell line ups. 

As for UI set up, I'll work on getting you a link but until I do... it is largely unmodified from standard Blizzard UI. No custom bars, no alterations to layout save from having the six action bars on the screen, and having the "R", "X", "F", "G", and "H" keys bound (easily reachable keys from WASDQE).

Other than that... my own lack of prep work is my fault entirely and is something I aim to rectify quickly. 

Your issue with fulmination is the assumption that there is some sort of "required" stack amount.  That might be the case with the T17 bonus set, but the difference between 15 stacks and 20 stacks right now is not large.  You're better off clearing those stacks at 15 every time, rather than having it hang around 20 and missing on new stacks.  Real applications of fulmination vary greatly from simulated ones.  There are players out there that play much better than I, and I'm betting even they fumble this coveted "required" stack amount.  

That said, I'm quite confident that you lost far more DPS from not having your fire elemental out, and not using Spiritwalker's Grace than you did from fulmination stacks, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.  You will always exit Ascendence with full stacks of fulmination, and you should do your best to go into Ascendence with as few as possible, but with at least 15 seconds on your flame shock.   

Try the Elementarist add-on if you feel like the rotation is a struggle at times.  If not, I strongly recommend weakauras, powerauras, or tellmewhen.