FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
azerbaz

New to World of Warcraft and looking for friends and advice

Hello, I'm pretty new, I have played wow on and off for a few years but know pretty much nothing and suck at it. I'm from the Uk so any advice would be great thanks

Hello, I'm pretty new, I have played wow on and off for a few years but know pretty much nothing and suck at it. I'm from the Uk so any advice would be great thanks

Well, first off, what type of playstyle do you like?  

Class choices:

Ranged dps: Being able to attack from a distance and potentially having good kiting abilities.

Melee dps: Being right up in your opponents face (or behind them) and smashing heads in.

Healer: Keeping everyone alive, fairly self-explanatory.

Tank: Being the center of aggro, everything is attacking you or your co-tank and keeping things from attacking your lesser-armored dps and healers.

PvE vs PvP:

PvE: Dungeons and raids, large group content, takes a considerable amount of coordination at higher skill levels (Heroic and Mythic difficulties).

PvP: Fighting other players, never knowing what could happen next, a human opponent.

All of these are things to consider.  Once you go from there you can narrow down a class that you find both fun to play and that you're good at (which often occurs simultaneously).

Well, first off, what type of playstyle do you like?  

Class choices:

Ranged dps: Being able to attack from a distance and potentially having good kiting abilities.

Melee dps: Being right up in your opponents face (or behind them) and smashing heads in.

Healer: Keeping everyone alive, fairly self-explanatory.

Tank: Being the center of aggro, everything is attacking you or your co-tank and keeping things from attacking your lesser-armored dps and healers.

PvE vs PvP:

PvE: Dungeons and raids, large group content, takes a considerable amount of coordination at higher skill levels (Heroic and Mythic difficulties).

PvP: Fighting other players, never knowing what could happen next, a human opponent.

All of these are things to consider.  Once you go from there you can narrow down a class that you find both fun to play and that you're good at (which often occurs simultaneously).

I like to be ranged but I do enjoy been close also, I tend to stay away from pvp as I'm pretty terrible at it, I enjoy dungeons ( when am not getting moaned at :p) I have thought about a tank but I have always thought as am new it would be hard to do, some goes for a healer. Also thanks for taking the time to read this.

I like to be ranged but I do enjoy been close also, I tend to stay away from pvp as I'm pretty terrible at it, I enjoy dungeons ( when am not getting moaned at tongue.png) I have thought about a tank but I have always thought as am new it would be hard to do, some goes for a healer.

To me, a hunter or druid sounds like the best options.  Hunters are ranged only and have one of the best toolkits for kiting stuff.  Druids have the option of being all 4 things (melee, ranged, tank, and healer), so you can choose and switch at will (for the most part).  Tanks and healers are generally not the best idea if you're new, since they impose a greater responsibility on the player than playing as a dps does.  If you're up for a challenge, or wish to take on this greater responsibility head-first, go right ahead.

Also thanks for taking the time to read this.

You're welcome.  This is one of the things that I like to do: help others, whether its with specific class/spec challenges, getting rotations down correctly (are you doing what you're supposed to be doing), and helping new players though some tougher questions and start their journey through the world (of warcraft).

To me, a hunter or druid sounds like the best options.  Hunters are ranged only and have one of the best toolkits for kiting stuff.  Druids have the option of being all 4 things (melee, ranged, tank, and healer), so you can choose and switch at will (for the most part).  Tanks and healers are generally not the best idea if you're new, since they impose a greater responsibility on the player than playing as a dps does.  If you're up for a challenge, or wish to take on this greater responsibility head-first, go right ahead.

You're welcome.  This is one of the things that I like to do: help others, whether its with specific class/spec challenges, getting rotations down correctly (are you doing what you're supposed to be doing), and helping new players though some tougher questions and start their journey through the world (of warcraft).

I have been thinking about leveling a hunter for sometime but never got around to, so might do that. I just get a tad worried that am using the wrong rotations and so on. I adore the game but people can be very harsh if you get me :P

I adore the game but people can be very harsh if you get me tongue.png

Finding a good guild will go a long way in helping this, especially one willing to help new players learn their class.  PuGs (pick-up groups) are notoriously unforgiving.

I have been thinking about leveling a hunter for sometime but never got around to, so might do that. I just get a tad worried that am using the wrong rotations and so on. I adore the game but people can be very harsh if you get me tongue.png

Hunters are fun. :)  If you do decide to level a hunter, there's myself, Niix, Atrais, and Iridar in the hunter section who can all help you.

Finding a good guild will go a long way in helping this, especially one willing to help new players learn their class.  PuGs (pick-up groups) are notoriously unforgiving.

Is there any realm/guild you would recommend? I tend to run alliance

Edited by azerbaz

Hunters are fun. smile.png  If you do decide to level a hunter, there's myself, Niix, Atrais, and Iridar in the hunter section who can all help you.

Cant thank you guys enough for offering help, Much more nicer than the wow forums. I will run hunter I just need to find a nice realm and guild. Also what race would be good for hunter?

• Like 1

Is there any realm/guild you would recommend? I tend to run alliance

Well, if you were Horde and on Hyjal, I would recommend mine :)

We are is desperate need of RDPS and willing to help newbies fill the ranks.

If you want Alliance, the most active realms are Sargeras (PVP) and Stormrage (PVE) last I checked. 

Sites like wowprogress (http://www.wowprogress.com/realms/rank/us) can help you find the right realm by ranking servers in terms of guild progress, size, etc.

• Like 1

Well, if you were Horde and on Hyjal, I would recommend mine smile.png

We are is desperate need of RDPS and willing to help newbies fill the ranks.

If you want Alliance, the most active realms are Sargeras (PVP) and Stormrage (PVE) last I checked. 

Sites like wowprogress (http://www.wowprogress.com/realms/rank/us) can help you find the right realm by ranking servers in terms of guild progress, size, etc.

I have never ran horde so dont know where to level or such but am willing to give it a go. As I said I did play on and off so I have a few looms and such to help level my hunter. I was more into collecting pets and mounts ( pretty boring I know haha)

I have never ran horde so dont know where to level or such but am willing to give it a go. As I said I did play on and off so I have a few looms and such to help level my hunter. I was more into collecting pets and mounts ( pretty boring I know haha)

Are you also based US or EU?

Haha, don't feel pressured by me to go one way or the other, I just saw my chance to shamelessly advertise for my guild :P

If you want to give Horde a shot, send me a PM in-game, my b-tag is in my sig.  Even if all you want to do is collect mounts and pets, my guild will take ya.  That's all my wife does and she is in it.

As much as I would love to I would prefer Eu as my net is not as stable as I would like it sadly

No worries, I believe you can still add my b-tag if you are EU if you want to ask any questions or what not, so feel free.  Best of luck whichever you end up choosing!

No worries, I believe you can still add my b-tag if you are EU if you want to ask any questions or what not, so feel free.  Best of luck whichever you end up choosing!

Thank you good sir *tips hat*

Hey there! Welcome to WoW and I hope you stay part of the community for a long time. :)

Here are some choice bits of advice for you;

• Play how you want to play - if that's collecting pets and kicking ass in PvP or being a hardcore raider, or even just levelling many alts, don't let anyone say you're doing it wrong.
  • Don't let anyone ever tell you how to play. Sure, take advice, but don't let anyone ever say "you should spec BM, Surv is rubbish". Those people aren't worth playing with. Ever.
  • Be part of the community- you're already doing this, but believe me when I say that staying active on Icy Veins (and Reddit, reading blogs, and so on) enrich your experience massively.

I think that those are general bits of advice which people lose sight of often.

If you're ever on Ghostlands or Dragonblight (EU) and want a friendly guild, <Omnishambles> takes social recruits whenever they ask. :)

• Like 1

Hey there! Welcome to WoW and I hope you stay part of the community for a long time. smile.png

• Play how you want to play - if that's collecting pets and kicking ass in PvP or being a hardcore raider, or even just levelling many alts, don't let anyone say you're doing it wrong.
  • Don't let anyone ever tell you how to play. Sure, take advice, but don't let anyone ever say "you should spec BM, Surv is rubbish". Those people aren't worth playing with. Ever.
  • Be part of the community- you're already doing this, but believe me when I say that staying active on Icy Veins (and Reddit, reading blogs, and so on) enrich your experience massively.

If you're ever on Ghostlands or Dragonblight (EU) and want a friendly guild, <Omnishambles> takes social recruits whenever they ask. smile.png

Thank is their guild horde or alliance ( sorry for so many questions xD

Hey there! Welcome to WoW and I hope you stay part of the community for a long time. smile.png

If you're ever on Ghostlands or Dragonblight (EU) and want a friendly guild, <Omnishambles> takes social recruits whenever they ask. smile.png

Thank is their guild horde or alliance ( sorry for so many questions xD

Also thank you for the advice means a lot

Hello all , I am new as well.. So far it hasn't been that good for me with people in the game. Dont get me wrong I have met that seem nice but it has been far and between. Atrais I sent you a FR from BN ( JayNoobz1356). I was thinking maybe you would like to take a noob to WoW on and show him the way of the hunter.. ( BTW Mature Gamer here)