FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Fouton

Highmaul - Retribution Paladin Tips and Tricks

This thread will be for all sorts of tips for dpsing Highmaul, the first raid of the expansion. Feel free to post any additions to the list, or even discuss ones that are currently on the list.

Kargath Bladefist

Paladin Tips and Tricks:

You can use Hand of Protection to give the player targeted by Berserker's Rush more time to reach a Fire Pillar. On Mythic, it's essential for keeping players alive for the full 20 second duration.

If doing the stands, change to Seal of Righteousness before chain hurl completes it's cast duration, to provide for less downtime due to seal swapping. 

Using Speed of Light during berserker rush will allow you to maintain full damage on the boss if he's being kited around.

Talents and Glyphs:

Clemency will allow for an extra Hand of Protection, which will make a big difference.

If using the stands running DP will help a lot with killing adds.

The Butcher

Paladin Tips and Tricks:

Use speed of light after the butcher does Bounding Cleave, to get some extra DPS in while he moves, pop Divine Purpose at mid Gushing Wounds stack range so it goes into your other stacks.

Butcher - your raid is mostly stacked. If you need more healing, you can experiment with level 90 talents.

Talents and Glyphs:

Glyph of Divine Protection to reduce damage taken from the Cleave ability, and its bleed effect.

Use clemency to help reduce the amount of damage taken to your raid with double Sac.

Tectus

Paladin Tips and TricksTectus - single target gradually changing to aoe fight, I would go for Divine Purpose. Note the adds in the first phase can be stunned.

Talents and Glyphs:

Brackenspore

Paladin Tips and Tricks:

Use Divine Protection ~4 seconds into Infesting Spores to minimize the damage you take.

It may not help us personally, but popping Hand of Purity on the active tank during the vomit phase can really make the difference between a live tank and a dead tank, especially if they are stuck with several stacks of rot.  Short CD makes it almost always available.

Brackenspore - note that the buff from mushrooms is got approx every 2 minutes, which makes sanctified wrath a great choice. It makes a huge dps burst combined with Seraphim.

Talents and Glyphs:

Twin Ogron

Paladin Tips and Tricks:

Use Divine Protection if you're taking too many stacks of the fire damage. If you are good at avoiding the fire, you can use it for things like Pulverize and Whirlwind instead.

Talents and Glyphs:

To maximalize your damage and your damage reduction:

Use Glyph of Double Jeopardy with Pursuit of Justice talent, also choose Final Verdict talent. This will require a lot of target switching and rotation changes, but it is worth it. Try to keep Censure stacked on 5stacks on both of them.

Warning: I do not recommend Glyph of Mass Exorcism, not worth it.

Twins - I agree with everyone else that double jeopardy is a good choice here. Learn to walk between the fires. Pursuit of justice combined with your cloak enchant makes it really easy.

Ko'ragh

Paladin Tips and Tricks

Ko'ragh - lots of running for melee, don't use Speed of Light. You need constant speed increase. Remember your Hand of Freedom and Emancipate for the slows. If there is an add forgotten by tanks, use your taunt to bring it into a pool and stun it there. Damage reductions when you get debuffs. Mostly single target damage so don't concentrate on glyphs like double jeopardy.

Talents and Glyphs:

Imperator Mar'gok

Paladin Tips and TricksImperator - the most important things here are damage mitigations - consult with your healers which talents to choose. Be ready for transition phases, run fast to the mages so that you are already there when they appear. Save up dps cooldowns for the transition phases (especialy the second one). Bubble when targetted by a mage. Use interrupts on cooldown when fighting mages. Be aware of the positioning related to tank debuff, arcane wrath and healers - it's very easy getting out of healer range. Note that arcane wrath never jumps to a tank, so you don't have to worry about being close to a tank with the debuff.

Talents and Glyphs:

Glyph of Double Jeopardy for switching to the adds throughout the fight.

Glyph of Hand of Sacrifice to help with raid damage.

Glyph of Templar's Verdict to help with your own damage taken.

Make sure to use Glyph of Divine Protection on Butcher for 20% physical reduction of his cleave damage.

Also in general, make use of the engineer item Mecha-Blast Rocket. 1 min cooldown, 53k damage with a 40 yard range. On Sargeras they are  usually under 1g for 20. 

Mecha-Blast shares a CD with your strength potion. Is that really worth the gain? I feel like 1000 strength would be more useful.

Hey, I would like to write some tips and tricks regarding Twin Ogron.

Glyphs:

Glyph of Double Jeopardy for increase in damage while switching targets.

Glyph of Mass Exorcism works here great as the bosses are stacked for as long as possible.

Talents:

I highly sugges using Unbreakable Spirit with glyphed Glyph of Divine Protection (+ Sacred Shield talent, it's up to your preference) to lessen a lot of damage here (Quake, Enfeebling Roar, Pulverize, Interrupting Shout + also helps ease the mistakes such as getting hit by Shield Charge or flames).

Also, Final Verdict seems as a must-have talent.

Edit: 

Some tips for Imperator Mar'gok

Glyphs:

Glyph of Double Jeopardy for increased damage while switching to adds.

Glyph of Hand of Sacrifice to help your raid.

Glyph of Templar's Verdict to ease the damage done to you.

Edited by Raelis

Raelis, I'll add those immediately, though I would like to point out that with the loss of devotion aura, Clemency has become a key part of our raid utility to the point that on fights where it's between lessening our damage taken or multiple member's it is much more potent in the long run to be able to assist multiple people, but those are wonderful points you've made!

I feel like hand of purity is better on twin ogron mythic, it reduces the damage of the fire and the charge dot, AND you can put it on a raid member.

You should have no issues with getting out of the fire if all your melee stack like they should be. And hand of purity only gives you 3 raid wide defensive cds vs 4 with Clemency.

Arguably Hand of Purity comes off CD much faster, but people really should be avoiding it + charge.

Hi guys Thanks for this thread

I'm going to be running Highmaul with my guild and I have a couple questions re Twin Ogron which because of the fire seems to be the most problematic of the fights for a lot of folks atm

Does the fire cause physical or magic damage? If physical then glyphing Divine Protection makes sense

Can you use Hand of Protection on yourself or others to gain immunity to the fire?

Would you advise taking Sacred Shield over Selfless Healer for its HoT to counter the DoT of the fire? (while still using Flash of Light of course)

Could you please explain how melee should be stacking for fire?

Edited by GordHicks

Magic Damage, HoP does not grant immunity to it.

Sacred Shield would be more effective for yourself, though Selfless Healer would provide more heals to the raid overall.

Melee shouldnt be stacking for fire, you should be moving in any way you can to make sure it doesnt cook you. Since it rotates as it moves, youll have to predict where it will be and move, even if you run out of range, to survive.

Hello, I'm back! :D

Aeonarial, thanks for pointing that out, you are right. By the time I was writing those tips, I was just thinking about maximalizing yourself and your damage during the Twin Ogron fight.

After progressing Twin Ogron Mythic, I have came to this conclussion:

To maximalize your damage and your damage reduction:

Use Glyph of Double Jeopardy with Pursuit of Justice talent, also choose Final Verdict talent. This will require a lot of target switching and rotation changes, but it is worth it. Try to keep Censure stacked on 5stacks on both of them.

Warning: I do not recommend Glyph of Mass Exorcism, not worth it.

About Glyph of Divine Protection - totally worth using it. A lot of unavoidable damage (Enfeebling Roar, Pulverize) is physical. If you are being hit by fire, learn how to avoid it. Fouton stated that right. Consider taking Unbreakable Spirit with this, so your DP is up for almost everything. Glyph of Templar's Verdict is also nice.

I didn't test this, but using Light's Hammer while bosses are stacked should be damage increase and also could help with healing.

To maximalize your raid utility:

Glyph of Hand of Sacrifice, Glyph of Divine Protection.

Clemency (or Hand of Purity, but I recommend Clemency).

Selfless Healer to help with healing.

Holy Prism/Light's Hammer to help heal everyone after Enfeebling Roar.

For tips and tricks, use Divine Shield whetever you are hit by Charge or you have too many of Blaze stacks, also consider using Lay on Hands after some brutal aoe damage.

Depends, do you want a flat damage reduction to yourself, or a 10% damage reduction to the initial damage and 80% on the bleed. keep in mind you still have hand of sac in both scenarios but you lose one if you choose purity over clemency

Brackenspore - It may not help us personally, but popping Hand of Purity on the active tank during the vomit phase can really make the difference between a live tank and a dead tank, especially if they are stuck with several stacks of rot.  Short CD makes it almost always available.

Hi, just a quick question. Did anybody experimented with bubble and arcane wrath on imperator?

Does it remove the debuff completely? Does it force to jump immediately? Does it just protect you from the damage?

I tried to use it a couple of times yesterday when I was on Imperator for the first time but I was not entirely sure about the results.

Edited by Astherion

My progression is currently only on normal so I can't help a lot, however:

Butcher - your raid is mostly stacked. If you need more healing, you can expirement with level 90 talents.

Brackenspore - note that the buff from mushrooms is got approx every 2 minutes, which makes sanctified wrath a great choice. It makes a huge dps burst combined with Seraphim.

Tectus - single target gradually changing to aoe fight, I would go for Divine Purpose. Note the adds in the first phase can be stunned.

Twins - I agree with everyone else that double jeopardy is a good choice here. Learn to walk between the fires. Pursuit of justice combined with your cloak enchant makes it really easy.

Ko'ragh - lots of running for melee, don't use Speed of Light. You need constant speed increase. Remember your Hand of Freedom and Emancipate for the slows. If there is an add forgotten by tanks, use your taunt to bring it into a pool and stun it there. Damage reductions when you get debuffs. Mostly single target damage so don't concentrate on glyphs like double jeopardy.

Imperator - the most important things here are damage mitigations - consult with your healers which talents to choose. Be ready for transition phases, run fast to the mages so that you are already there when they appear. Save up dps cooldowns for the transition phases (especialy the second one). Bubble when targetted by a mage. Use interrupts on cooldown when fighting mages. Be aware of the positioning related to tank debuff, arcane wrath and healers - it's very easy getting out of healer range. Note that arcane wrath never jumps to a tank, so you don't have to worry about being close to a tank with the debuff.

Bubble just negates the damage, if you're still too close to someone it will still get passed it's happened to me a few times.

For Tectus do you recommend Seal of Righteousness or Censure cleaving?

And for Brackenspore do you recommend single targeting Mind Fungi and Fungal Flesh Eaters or Censure cleaving (where possible)?

ty

SoT up until 4 or more targets then seal swap to SoR.

For Bracken, always switch to Mind Fungi and Flesh Eaters, they need to die asap but you should keep censure up on all targets.