Cantankerous

Prot Warrior looking for construtive criticism and help with log analysis for Highmaul.

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

As the title suggest I am looking for my logs to be construtively critiqued, I read Estarriol's post and I am certainly doing some things wrong. I would like to say I haven't been trying toing to any damage at all, regards to using heroic strike and rather trying to spend every portion of rage on either SBlk or Barrier. Any help with these logs would be greatly appreciated. This is only my second post so if I trigger any forum faux pas please like me know so I can correct it. In the log I am the warrior tank Jamrag in the last log I had name changed to Cantankerous. If anyone see anything at all that can be corrected in the logs i.e the rest of the raid I am compeletly open to all help and criticism.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Highmaul 18 Jamrag

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/9W6Qhyqt7Mknb3Hd#boss=-2

Highmaul 16 Jamrag

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Ft4yKCvcQfD9bNBz#boss=-2

Highmaul 12/13 Jamrag

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/jGgfM7dWANcLJhD8

The last log didn't upload properly I think, as it showed up blank in the calendar box on warcraft logs. But there is data in there.

Regards Cantankerous.

Hi Cantankerous,

I'm going to be out of town today, cut I'll get to your logs either later tonight or tomorrow. You haven't committed any faux pas at all, you seem like a nice and very polite individual. So welcome!

Thanks for the welcome and for your time, no rush on the logs whenever you can get round to it is good enough for me. And I can't thank you enough for your help, these log are from before I read you post so I have implemented any of the advice I pick up from your thread yet. But I am raiding on Sunday and will definitely be putting your advice to good use in the raid.  

Hey, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.

I'm looking at the second log you linked, the one from December 10th.

The first fight I'm going to look at is The Butcher because it's basically a tank and spank. It'll give me a good baseline for your general active mitigation and CD-usage habits.

The first thing I generally look at is the "Casts" tab, where I can see what your CD-usage looks like. From here I can see that you used one Shield Wall, 2 Enraged Regenerations, 4 Demoralizing Shouts, and 2 trinkets uses. Your logs show that this fight lasted just under three and a half minutes, so your defensive CD uses seem pretty reasonable, though you probably could have fit a Last Stand in. I also see two uses of Vigilance. It's good to see that you're thinking about your cotank's survivability, too. I also see 4 uses of Bloodbath, which is reasonable for the fight length, but what I'm not seeing is Dragon Roar. Make sure you're utilizing your full toolkit and switching out talents as needed to be optimal for the fights you're going into.

The next tab I generally look at is the "Buffs" tab, which I then set to "Cast By Friendly." From here, I can see your Shield Block uptime (52.40%) and your number of Shield Barrier uses (18). Your Shiled Block uptime on this fight is very, very good. You're clearly making sure to use it on CD. The only thing I'd recommend doing differently is to try to have Shield Block up for The Tenderizer. Even if you sacrifice a little bit of uptime, it's useful to reduce the spike damage of TheTenderizer, which can be blocked.

Knowing how many times you used Shield Barrier, I typically then go to the "Healing" tab to look at your average size and overhealing, which were 12k and 3.28% respectively. Your overhealing is fine, but your average size is very low, which tells me that you're not using Shield Barrier with a full 60 rage.

The last thing I typically look at is your rage usage. This can be seen from the "Resources" tab. From here, I can see that you gained a total of 2090 and wasted a total of 37, or 1.77%. So overall, your rage usage is good, but you can still do a little bit better.

Recently, I've also been looking at GCD usage as well. For a fight length of 3:25, you had about 140 GCDs during the fight. I can see that you used Devastate 58 times, Shield Slam 43 times, Revenge 30 times, and Heroic Throw 8 times for a total of 139 GCDs used. So you're very close to optimal.

Overall, your class-mechanics are very solid. There are a few things you could work on to optimize, but you're still in a good place.

A cursory look at active mitigation, rage use, and CDs shows a similar pattern for Tectus. You could still be using better talents, I'd suggest Dragon Roar, Bladestorm, and Ravager. I'm also going to look at your damage taken for this fight to see if you're standing in anything you shouldn't. You took 3 ticks of Crystalline Barrage and 11 ticks of Fracture. So there's room for improvement there. Make sure you're standing at a 90 degree angle from your ranged pile and you won't be in danger of taking Barrage ticks. For Fracture, make sure you're paying close attention to your feet especially when you have the Motes out.

Looking at Twin Ogron, I'm seeing quite a few ticks from Blaze. Make sure you're watching how the fire is moving before it gets within 20 yards or so of you. If you're only looking in your immediate vicinity, it can make predicting which way the fire is moving difficult.

Overall, as I said, your class-based mechanics are strong. I'd suggest putting some more thought into your talent choices both in general and for specific fights and also watch your feet to make sure you're not taking avoidable damage.

Hello Estarriol!!

This is brilliant I can't thank you enough and I completely agree with all of it!! (not that I could disrepute it, I mean they are my logs ha) My talents choices have been stale and not well thought out. This guide and critic has been very thorough and I appreciate the time you put it into reading the logs and the lengthy reply you've given me. The logs you read are pre-reading your tanking post, and since I have read it I have really taken your advice on board and changed talents and glphys for every situation. I must admit before I read your post I was scared to take anything other then Gladiator's Resolve but now I feel more comfortable for sure. Also thanks for writing your actual log reading process so I can follow suite and make sure am not slacking.

Thanks E-Starr!!-iol 

Glad I could help. =)

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kelp
      Type: Semi-hardcore
      Progression: 4/7 Mythic EN+ 2/3 Heroic ToV
      Faction: Horde
      Server: <Lustful> - [Zul’jin]
      Raid Times: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9pm-12am EST (Server Time)
      Apply here: lustful-guild.com or message me.

<Lustful> is currently recruiting experienced, and perspective raiders in need of an active and progression oriented mythic guild!

We are currently looking for most classes and roles:
      Healer: Medium demand.
      Range Damage: HIGH DEMAND!
      Melee damage: Medium demand.

Expectations:
      Be on time
      Have Discord for voice communication
      Have installed the required add-ons
      Prepare for raids outside of raid times (repairs, food, flasks, potions etc.)
      Know your class and raid mechanics outside of raid times
      Loot Rules:
      Loot Council
      Add-on List:
      Deadly Boss Mods
      RCLootCouncil
      Casual players are more than welcome to join for assistance in leveling, dungeons, and other content. Something is always going on within <Lustful>! Social oriented players will never be without something to do. Our Discord is available to all guild members.
      Message me for more information:
      Kelp-Zul'jin or Ragnar#11614
    • By Losephos
      Hello!
      Were a newer raiding squad that feels we need some more like minded people for our raid team. I'm filling out my squad for mythic content and am currently looking for ranged DPS and healers especially. Any class is more then welcome to apply and or contact me in game. We like to have fun and enjoy our raids. We have a discord channel like everyone else and just want to push ourselves over the edge. That means I need you. We won't micro manage you or kick you from the guild cause your DPS is 10k short of what is expected at your Ilevel. We understand. It's all about improving. We believe in the whole being greater then the sum of the parts or whatever else non sense sounds enticing. Were a progression team and know heroic well. I'm just tired of pugs when I could have some guildmates instead. We will help you gear and get better. If you like PvP we have people for that as well.
      We raid on Tues and Thurs at 8:30PM to 11:30PM EST. Monday is optional at the same times.
      You can either respond to this message or message me in game. 
      Thank you for your time,
      Xose
      Battletag: Losephos#1229
      Second in command:  Ichithekilla#1163
    • By Bigboyee
      Me and my raid group are still progressing through Mythic EN, though we have Nyth, Elerethe, and Ursoc all easily on farm. I'm consistently parsing very low for my ilvl, and consistently losing out in dps to a lower ilvl shaman of the same spec. Despite usually having better buff uptimes than him and better cd usage he parses much better than me. Usually the main difference i find is he gets off way more stormstrikes than me. Recently I've started mashing that button almost nonstop in fights, sometimes sacrificing a few seconds of buff time to get off more stormstrikes, but the results seem to be about the same as before. 
      Below you'll find logs that have both of us in them, as well as mine and his armory links. I'm Bigboyee and the other shaman is Cyrashapa. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
      The Ursoc fight in particular on this one: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/vnpwPdAC7FrHxcWV#type=damage-done&fight=12
      Ursoc and Odyn were the only clean fights we had here:https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/YfgFwB3rzH6mV1jM/#fight=2&type=damage-done
      My armory:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Bigboyee/simple
      His armory:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/malganis/Cyrashapa/simple
    • By Aymana
      Quick Info
      Server - Argent Dawn - EU
      Faction - Alliance
      Raid Days - Tuesdays + Sundays
      Raid Times - Tuesday: 20:00 - 23:00 Server Time. Sunday: 20:00 -23:00 Server Time. 
      Loot System - Master Looter or Personal Loot, depending on the situation. 
      Website - oathkeepersad.enjin.com
      We have cleared 7/7 of Emerald Nightmare normal and 7/7 heroic. Trial of Valor 3/3 normal.

We're Recruiting

★ Druid (Feral, Balance, Guardian) - Medium
      ★ Hunter - High
      ★ Priest (Shadow) - High
      ★ Rogue - High
      ★ Death Knight (Blood) - High
      ☆ We are primarily looking for DPS. If your class is not listed you are still very welcome to apply!

Applicants should have appropriate item level for the current content. If you do not then you’re welcome to join the guild until you reach that goal, we will help you as much as we’re able. We mostly look for reliable, fun, and mature people over gear. Though gear does help a lot. 

Are you for us?
      Are you a person who....

• Is looking for a long term community?
      • Prefers dogs to cats?
      • Is competent at keeping up to date with their class and puts in that extra 10% effort?
      • Has an awesome sense of humor?
      • Can accept and use constructive criticism to both improve as a player and make the guild stronger?
      • Enjoys long walks in the park and holding hands at sundown?
      • Can assess their own performance without the need of having someone breathing down the back of their neck?
      • Did I mention has an awesome sense of humor? This is pretty important.

Are we for you?
      Are you searching for a guild that....

• Recruits Smart - We recruit what we need, and a little extra to ease everyone's minds so they can in fact miss a raid night if they really need to.
      • Consists of older players, most of us are in our late 20s - we even have an old timer in his staggering 40s!
      • Understands that life has it's ups and downs, and that members will in fact miss a raid or two once in a while.
      • Has fun during raids - We focus on progression, but having fun is key to our success and always has been for us in the past. We dig at each other during raids to get a reaction, we sing to each other.. Ever played 'The floor is lava' whilst waiting for a healer to finish pooping? It's very enjoyable.
      • Is able to speak fully coherent English to put points across quickly and effectively - Apart from Rolenta, his English is so broken it hurts your head trying to decipher what he's saying.
      • Will welcome you with open arms and include you in every single inside joke that currently exists and will ever exist as long as you put effort into being a part of us?
      • Has a website URL that reads as Oathkeeper Sad and makes you sad face :(

So now that you've made it this far, I can tell you're interested in us... and we're interested in you! But be sure to buy us dinner first, we're not some cheap date!

Who are we really?
      The core of Oathkeepers have been playing WoW together for going on 5 years now. Sadly we've lost some friends over the time to other games or that dreaded thing called real life, but we've made some new friends too! We're looking to fill out our roster to do more heroic raids - We've had our hurdles to climb to get running again, but we're here now at last!

We are a friendly bunch that are happy to meet new faces. We have a combinedexperience of all content clears whilst the content was current, and on all difficulties.

So how do you apply?
      Hit up that link near the top of the thread. In fact, here's another link for you! - oathkeepersad.enjin.com/ - Damn I'm good to you aren't I? Be sure to make an account with Enjin (our host) then hit that apply button! You'll need to fill in a short application form, so we can get an idea of who you are.

Want to know a bit more about us before committing to hitting that submit application button? Or maybe you just want a chat before making your decision No problemo! Our officers are online a little too much, it's kinda sad. But either way, get in touch with any of the following people!:
      • Neiwaru/Aymana
      • Dalarian/Sylvanart
      • Kukishin (He only has one character of any importance…)

If you fail to catch us online, or are currently on another server, feel free to add any of us to your bnet list:
      • Aymana#2669 - Aymana
      • Supergaga#2706 - Dalarian