Prot Warrior looking for construtive criticism and help with log analysis for Highmaul.

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

As the title suggest I am looking for my logs to be construtively critiqued, I read Estarriol's post and I am certainly doing some things wrong. I would like to say I haven't been trying toing to any damage at all, regards to using heroic strike and rather trying to spend every portion of rage on either SBlk or Barrier. Any help with these logs would be greatly appreciated. This is only my second post so if I trigger any forum faux pas please like me know so I can correct it. In the log I am the warrior tank Jamrag in the last log I had name changed to Cantankerous. If anyone see anything at all that can be corrected in the logs i.e the rest of the raid I am compeletly open to all help and criticism.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Highmaul 18 Jamrag

Highmaul 16 Jamrag

Highmaul 12/13 Jamrag

The last log didn't upload properly I think, as it showed up blank in the calendar box on warcraft logs. But there is data in there.

Regards Cantankerous.

Hi Cantankerous,

I'm going to be out of town today, cut I'll get to your logs either later tonight or tomorrow. You haven't committed any faux pas at all, you seem like a nice and very polite individual. So welcome!

Thanks for the welcome and for your time, no rush on the logs whenever you can get round to it is good enough for me. And I can't thank you enough for your help, these log are from before I read you post so I have implemented any of the advice I pick up from your thread yet. But I am raiding on Sunday and will definitely be putting your advice to good use in the raid.  

Hey, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.

I'm looking at the second log you linked, the one from December 10th.

The first fight I'm going to look at is The Butcher because it's basically a tank and spank. It'll give me a good baseline for your general active mitigation and CD-usage habits.

The first thing I generally look at is the "Casts" tab, where I can see what your CD-usage looks like. From here I can see that you used one Shield Wall, 2 Enraged Regenerations, 4 Demoralizing Shouts, and 2 trinkets uses. Your logs show that this fight lasted just under three and a half minutes, so your defensive CD uses seem pretty reasonable, though you probably could have fit a Last Stand in. I also see two uses of Vigilance. It's good to see that you're thinking about your cotank's survivability, too. I also see 4 uses of Bloodbath, which is reasonable for the fight length, but what I'm not seeing is Dragon Roar. Make sure you're utilizing your full toolkit and switching out talents as needed to be optimal for the fights you're going into.

The next tab I generally look at is the "Buffs" tab, which I then set to "Cast By Friendly." From here, I can see your Shield Block uptime (52.40%) and your number of Shield Barrier uses (18). Your Shiled Block uptime on this fight is very, very good. You're clearly making sure to use it on CD. The only thing I'd recommend doing differently is to try to have Shield Block up for The Tenderizer. Even if you sacrifice a little bit of uptime, it's useful to reduce the spike damage of TheTenderizer, which can be blocked.

Knowing how many times you used Shield Barrier, I typically then go to the "Healing" tab to look at your average size and overhealing, which were 12k and 3.28% respectively. Your overhealing is fine, but your average size is very low, which tells me that you're not using Shield Barrier with a full 60 rage.

The last thing I typically look at is your rage usage. This can be seen from the "Resources" tab. From here, I can see that you gained a total of 2090 and wasted a total of 37, or 1.77%. So overall, your rage usage is good, but you can still do a little bit better.

Recently, I've also been looking at GCD usage as well. For a fight length of 3:25, you had about 140 GCDs during the fight. I can see that you used Devastate 58 times, Shield Slam 43 times, Revenge 30 times, and Heroic Throw 8 times for a total of 139 GCDs used. So you're very close to optimal.

Overall, your class-mechanics are very solid. There are a few things you could work on to optimize, but you're still in a good place.

A cursory look at active mitigation, rage use, and CDs shows a similar pattern for Tectus. You could still be using better talents, I'd suggest Dragon Roar, Bladestorm, and Ravager. I'm also going to look at your damage taken for this fight to see if you're standing in anything you shouldn't. You took 3 ticks of Crystalline Barrage and 11 ticks of Fracture. So there's room for improvement there. Make sure you're standing at a 90 degree angle from your ranged pile and you won't be in danger of taking Barrage ticks. For Fracture, make sure you're paying close attention to your feet especially when you have the Motes out.

Looking at Twin Ogron, I'm seeing quite a few ticks from Blaze. Make sure you're watching how the fire is moving before it gets within 20 yards or so of you. If you're only looking in your immediate vicinity, it can make predicting which way the fire is moving difficult.

Overall, as I said, your class-based mechanics are strong. I'd suggest putting some more thought into your talent choices both in general and for specific fights and also watch your feet to make sure you're not taking avoidable damage.

Hello Estarriol!!

This is brilliant I can't thank you enough and I completely agree with all of it!! (not that I could disrepute it, I mean they are my logs ha) My talents choices have been stale and not well thought out. This guide and critic has been very thorough and I appreciate the time you put it into reading the logs and the lengthy reply you've given me. The logs you read are pre-reading your tanking post, and since I have read it I have really taken your advice on board and changed talents and glphys for every situation. I must admit before I read your post I was scared to take anything other then Gladiator's Resolve but now I feel more comfortable for sure. Also thanks for writing your actual log reading process so I can follow suite and make sure am not slacking.

Thanks E-Starr!!-iol 

Glad I could help. =)

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By rebkah
      Hello, everybody! We're Heralds of Strife, a Horde raiding guild on Wyrmrest Accord. We are looking to pick up more players for Emerald Nightmare progression.
      What We're About

Heralds of Strife is a warm, welcoming community. Our current members range from previous top US 34th raiders to promising newcomers that are hungry to learn and improve. When we are not raiding, we are actively playing many games, from Hearthstone to Overwatch and many others that our guild members have suggested. Heralds of Strife is more than just a raiding guild on World of Warcraft, we are friends who are looking to have fun and get to know each other in our free time. That said, our primary focus will always be to complete the most challenging content that World of Warcraft has to offer during its relevance.

Current Progression
      2/7 Mythic EN
      7/7 Heroic EN

Raid Schedule

Main Raid:
      Saturday - 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM PST
      Monday - 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM PST
      Tuesday- 6:30 PM-9:30 PM PST (Alt raid, normal/heroic, as needed)

Loot System

We use a Loot Council with defined parameters. This is broken down into several categories:
      Attendance Performance Attitude Biggest Upgrade Recent Wins
      We publicly record attendance and items received (via RCLootCouncil). Our devoted, down-to-earth leadership has the experience and knowledge needed to ensure upgrades are given to the proper players for progression while maintaining a fair, friendly, and entertaining guild atmosphere.

Trial Period

Heralds of Strife is a raiding guild primarily. As such, we do have a trial period for new recruits. With that being said, new raiders will have a 2 week trial period. This trial period begins at the start of the first raid upon joining, and ends on the last raid of the 2nd week.
      The three core principles expected of trials:
      Reliability Positivity Adaptability
      Reliability: We expect our trial raiders to show up for raids, on time, and prepared with the basic necessities to do the raid efficiently. We also expect our trials to have some knowledge on encounters, but we are more than willing to help teach and nurture our raiders. Make a commitment with us and we will do our very best to make sure that you're taken care of. We want to get to know you, as you're not just numbers on our spreadsheet. Here in Heralds of Strife,YOU matter.

Positivity: We encourage our trial raiders, and our members, in general, to have a positive attitude, ranging from casual conversation to raid progression. There will be nights where progression might seem rough, but, pushing forward with a positive mindset are one of the keys to success. C'mon team, we can do this!

Adaptability: Our leadership takes the opportunity to analyze our performance logs after each raid night, offering those who are lagging behind some constructive assistance in the long-term goal of improving the player. Our team is only as strong as the player next to us, so we want to work together to overcome any obstacle that may be hindering our performance. Our motto is "iron sharpens iron".

How To Join

Fill out an application @ If we're interested in your application, we will reach out to you ASAP for a follow-up interview in Discord.

Lorvid - Lorvid#1749 (GM)
      Ritticus - Ritticus#1171 (Co-GM)
      Nathanios - JayRinzler#1405 (Officer)
      Effuse - Ignorance#1506 (Officer)
      Rebkah - Rebkah#1877 (Officer)
    • By Narii625
      ABOUT US
      We are a very social guild LFM for progression/semi-casual raiding and leveling. 
      When we say "semi-casual," we mean that we raid two days for three hours, can laugh about a wipe but are still serious about progression. We plan to do Normal raids (not for long) before going on to Heroic and Mythic.
      New players and all levels welcomed. We are VERY new player and new role friendly and have a few new players in the raid group already. We will work with you and get you trained up. So don't worry! 
      We do have some PvPers and an experienced RBG leader so PvP isn't out of the question.
      We're almost always on Discord and we joke around a lot. Some jokes aren't appropriate so keep that in mind. (Recommended 18+)
      Currently we are using the EPGP system ( The addon EPGP (DKP Reloaded), EPGP Lootmaster, DBM, and GTFO are required to be downloaded and kept up-to-date on raid nights.
      Fridays & Sundays 8pm - 11pm PST. (10pm - 1am Server Time.) NOTE: Flasks, foods, potions, and enchants will be provided for raiders on a first-come first-serve basis. People who contribute to the guild bank will also have preference. Guild repairs provided on raid nights. Trials will be provided with the aforementioned items if we can spare them after the main raiders. CURRENT PROGRESSION
      Emerald Nightmare, [7/7N] [3/7H] OTHER EVENTS
      Saturday is for Mythics/other events. Though we do stuff throughout the week. Most of us have work or school so it depends. We have an event coming up on 10/25 (Saturday) for the release of patch 7.1 Return to Karazhan! WHAT WE HAVE ROOM FOR**
      Shadow Priest Balance Druid Mage Elemental Shaman **In order of what we need the most!!
      If you are interested please fill out the application on our website!
      In-Game Name: Sylarii, ID: Narii#1891
    • By Cathika
      Umbrella Drinks are looking for more players for our raid team, Current progress is 7/7 Normal Emerald Nightmare and 2/7 Heroic Emerald Nightmare. We will be shifting our focus to Heroic in the next few weeks.
      Roles we are especially interested in currently - Tank with dps OS (To cover when our main tanks are unavailable). Healers. Ranged Dps.
      About us: We are a small Alliance guild on Argent Dawn EU, over 10 years old. Founded by old honor system pvpers (retired) Laid back adult players, some RL friends, looking for like minded patient people for casual raiding whilst making decent progress. Social applicants also more than welcome!
      We have an excellent raid leader who is also our MT and you would be required to listen to instruction over Mumble. 

We raid on Thursday and Sunday nights at 19.30 server time.
      If you are interested please drop us a message here, or poke/mail Cathika, Derrise, Yrne or Jinmu in game. We are also listed in guild recruitment in game
      Thank you!
    • By Kelp
      Type: Semi-hardcore
      Progression: 2/7 Mythic Emerald Nightmare
      Faction: Horde
      Server: <Lustful> - [Zul’jin]
      Raid Times: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9pm-12am EST (Server Time)
      Apply here:
      <Lustful> is currently recruiting experienced, and perspective raiders in need of an active and progression oriented mythic guild!
      We are currently looking for most classes and roles:
      Tank: Highly experienced/Know fights/Willing to communicate/Good attitude
      Healer: Holy Paladin, HIGH DEMAND!
      Range damage: High demand.
      Melee damage: Slots competitive, apply anyway.
      Be on time
      Have Discord for voice communication
      Have installed the required add-ons
      Prepare for raids outside of raid times (repairs, food, flasks, potions etc.)
      Know your class and raid mechanics outside of raid times
      Loot Rules:
      Loot Council
      Add-on List:
      Deadly Boss Mods
      Casual players are more than welcome to join for assistance in leveling, dungeons, and other content. Something is always going on within <Lustful>! Social oriented players will never be without something to do. Our Discord is available to all guild members.
      Message me for more information:
      Kelp-Zul'jin or Ragnar#11614