FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Tesshin20

[Resto] Please help me get out of Trail. Need help on improvements

I will try to keep this as short as possible.

Currently in a good guild I am in where we have 6/7 HC Highmaul the guild is making a mythic team for mythic progression. I failed to reach team and get promoted out from trail which really disappointed me because I am all about mythic raiding, and I have been living and breathing for mythic the last few months.

I have talked to the healing officer and though I show up for all raids, and almost never do any mistakes (1 mine on Imperator) they dont feel my healing output is enough. I am below the Paladin, Holy Priest and right below the Druid. There is a 3% difference between all of us in general.

I have gotten the permission to link the armory profile from my guild:http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...xxigarm/simple
And here is also a log from our last raid evening on heroic: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/v1GFWLpQHAXbZkPd#fight=45

If you are here to say that I am bad or something, then such comments arent really helpful and I will ignore them, but if you do get some personal satisfaction out of it, then go ahead.

I do have knowledge of my specc. Ive read up alot on Icy-veins, I have avoided Noxxic like the plague, and I am trying to read up as much as I can.

My basic philosophy is that Healing Rain and Chain Heals and keeping Healing Stream on CD is the biggest contribution to HPS. Then of course Raid CDs come on top of that. And Ive made a macro that I use Ascendance, Healing Tide, Blood Fury, and Elemental Mastery if I use that Talent together. The reason for this is that I am always called out when to Healing Tide and this leaves open a room for me where the raid is dependent on my healing for the most part so this is a nice window to use as many cooldowns as possible. 

I always try to spend as much mana as possible and I use mana potions during boss fights.

The best way you can help me is to analyse my character and logs. Tell me where I do it wrong and what I should do instead. I also have a couple of questions.

I use Riptide Glyph so I can quickly get out many riptides for work nice with my High Tide. How many riptides are too many? I assume the healing alone on glyphed riptides is very minor. So having 10 out of them is a waste of GCDs. If so is un-glyphing riptide a solution? I should have 5 out of them at the same time if I keep them on cooldown.

Should I glyph for Chain Heal in general so I get longer range? Though I assume this is highly situational. 

I really hope everyone who can contribute to this thread do so. I am very passionate about improving myself as much as possible and any advice, hints, constructive critisism is highly appriciated.

Thank you.

Here is also a killmovie on the fight they think I performed not as good in specific: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgNgRHA7Qhs

Edited by Tesshin20
  • Like 1

Hey Tesshin :) The people here are incredibly friendly and they really know their stuff! I'll try and help in the mean time haha. At the moment, most of my HPS is coming from Healing Wave and Healing Stream. So perhaps use Healing Wave a bit more? Chain Heal is good, but its very mana intense so it's not a good idea to spam it in any way. I'm the complete opposite to you when it comes to mana haha I like to try and save it!

I read that you use all of your CD's at the same time when called? I'm not sure if I read that right but its generally a bad idea. Try to co-ordinate with your other healers when to use major CD's, including Ascendance.

With regards to your Glyphs and Talents, there are situations where you may need to chop and change. For example, on Butcher HC I use Conductivity (keep Healing Rain on the melee), Unleashed Fury, Cloudburst and Echo (Glyph of Riptide doesn't synergise well with Echo). I'm a big big fan of Cloudburst so I use it on pretty much every fight. However, in Mythic I expect High Tide will be very useful.

I'll leave it at that as I know the others will post some wonderful nuggets of advice!

Starr

Thanks for your answer. I am really happy on any advice given here.

Isnt Heaing wave way too slow and is too short on healing power to really be viable in a raid setting when many takes damage at the same time. I can see it being good for tanking healing with unleashed life though.

It hurts if I start casting healing wave by mistake. Feels so dull to only heal 1 person in a 20man raid. But this fear of using healing wave might be unjustified? And what you use as heals is always where your HPS from so I am not exactly convinced that I should switch to it because alot of HPS you put out comes from healing wave.

How exactly is the balance between High Tide and Cloudburst? I feel I loose so much when I use Cloudburst, though this can be an illusion. My cloudburst "bursts" for around 70k and I dont know the math if this is better than High Tide in many situations.

Hi, Tesshin and welcome to the forum!

I went through you Armory and logs and here are my thoughts:

1. You say that you are doing everything to reach the mythic team. So, i'll assume, you should try to have best gems and enchants too. You have a JC profession but your gems are only +35, not +50 and it even wouldn't cost money to you. You have low level enchants on the neck +40 instead of +75 and on the ring: +30 instead of +50. Altogether it's already 110 mastery that you are missing. I wouldn't rise it if you were not saying that you need every possible suggestion to improve.

2. The talents:

Why do you use Totemic Projection? I can't think of any major contribution of this talent on Butcher. Are you throwing Spirit link totem somewhere? If not - why not to use Call of Elements for double HST or Totemic Persistence for HTT+HST?

Major glyphs:

I would take Healing Wave instead of Fire Elemental. You don't have PE talent, so why to use this glyph. Glyph of Healing Wave at least adds a bit to your healing.

Glyph of Riptide. I like this glyph, but one has to be very careful using it. I don't take it to the Butcher fight. I take Echo of Elements talent instead because the heavy damage in this fight. I need every bit of healing here. EotE allows me to have 2-3 people Riptided without losing the power of HoT. 2 riptided people are enough to force your Chain Heal with High Tide talent to jump.

Glyph of Chaining: I'm not using it meanwhile. The fight areas in Highmaul are pretty small so I don't see any particular reason to have a 3 sec. CD on CH.

You can watch my Butcher (H) tries here from 2 hours 52 minutes (2:52).

I watched your video. In my opinion the better position for the healing frames in bottom middle - in this way you spend less time moving your hand with the mouse. Yes, we are speaking about milliseconds here, but...

Another thing: as you can see in my video, I track not only my HoTs and CDs, but HoTs of all the healers, tanks personals and raid CDs. So I always can see who is not shielded or HoTed and what tanks are using. For example, if you see in your frames that someone already has a shield from disc or HoT from fruid, you'd better spend your Riptide for somebody else.

Logs:

Well, I can't see anything serious that you are not doing right. There are minor differences with me and I was on the 1st place with 36K HPS. Here are my logs for the Butcher.

1. The difference that I see is in Healing Rain usage. I used mine on melee group. 13 casts and 1.81KK healing done with 10% overheal. You have 9 casts with 924K healing done and 20% overheal. It's a half of my. Can it be that you casted it in the wrong place?

2. The other difference is in Riptide. I had unglyphed Riptide and Echo of the Elements for this fight.

I did 32 casts with 21K average, 1.25KK healing done and 10% overheal. You did 54 casts with 5K average, 1.025KK healing done and 20% overheal.

3. The third difference is that in Butcher fight I use Healing Surge, not Healing Wave. I need fast casts here and HS crits are insane.

Compare: I did 17 casts with 63K average and 1.08KK healing done. You did 20 casts with 38.8K average and 776K healing done. So it took you way more time to cast and did less healing.

Actually, after I looked in logs I'm a bit confused with your Armory. I see in logs that you had Glyph of Healing Wave, but it's not shown in the Armory. And I see that you used both elementals - did you have PE talent on Butcher?

I used Spirit link totem in this fight too and would advice it to you. And you can use twice Ascendancy and HTT (of course if you are not told to use them only when you called to)

I hope it will help you somehow. If you have any questions, I'm glad to answer.

Thanks alot for that awesome reply Pandacho. I will try to answer you to the best of my ability.

1. Enchants and gems. I will fix enchants and gems. I think in my position I should use all things necessary to show my best side. Thank you for pointing that out.

2. Armory is a couple of hours behind it seems so I changed away from Fire Elemental Totem because I tested it with PE on Brackenspore. I relog soon so you can check armory and you will see it will be in line with what you suggested :)

Question about EOTE. I dont really use Unleashed Fury, because I rather use Elemental Blast. Is Unleashed Life worth it without the Unleashed Fury? If not it will make EOTE less useful, because now I only get benifit of more riptides. I assume also that EOTE is better with High Tide?

My Butcher result was one of the better ones, I am much more worried about Tectus and Twin Ogrons, so if you could watch the Tectus movie and the log for Tectus and Ogrons I would be happy. There was ALOT of movement for me on both those fight so alot of healing couldnt be done.

I think I rather should just put Healing Rain on the tank and melee, unless its very obvious that I should use it on the ranged camp in some fights.

I can now see that EOTE is alot better than glyphing riptide. I thought it was the opposite.

How do you have mana to use healing surge on butcher? It must be the most healing surge unfriendly fight in the whole tier since you need all the mana you can get here.

If I remember correctly I used the elementals for that tiny bit of extra dps on the boss if I remember correctly.

Your response was very helpful. Please answer me again

Question about EOTE. I dont really use Unleashed Fury, because I rather use Elemental Blast. Is Unleashed Life worth it without the Unleashed Fury? If not it will make EOTE less useful, because now I only get benifit of more riptides. I assume also that EOTE is better with High Tide?

Well, I switch between AS and EotE depending on fight. If I'm using EotE, I don't take Glyph of Riptide.

Unleashed Life worth without UF because it increase all your direct heals for 30% - so it's not only Healing Wave and Healing Surge, but Chain Heal as well. So Chain Heal with High Tide and UL is very good. I'm not using UL on CD in every fight, but on fight with heavy damage it may be a good idea.

How do you have mana to use healing surge on butcher? It must be the most healing surge unfriendly fight in the whole tier since you need all the mana you can get here.

If you'll look at my logs, you will see that I cast less spells than you, but they are more powerful. I always try to modify my casts, using UL or Riptide before casting any other direct heal. So I cast less, heal more and may be here is the source for my mana. Ah, and one more thing: I pull CDs (HTT or Ascendancy) on raid-wide damage. I mean, if all 20 people lost 25% of their health, I'll just drop HTT and will not waste mana trying to heal them one by one. Even if it's start of the fight. So in 10 min. fight for example, I use HTT, Ascendancy and Spirit link 4 times each. This is a lot mana free healing.

I will go through your logs for Tectus and Ogrons tomorrow in the morning :)

Edited by Pandacho

If your question can be boiled down to 'how do I improve my logged HPS vs. druid/hpriest/paladin,' the answer is basically just 'more haste.'  Your armory link isn't working for me, but unless you're already stacking it to the sky haste is likely to be your best bang for buck stat (well, aside from intellect) when healing a large raid.  Consider using ancestral swiftness over EotE; EotE is a lot of fun, but the extra riptides don't (imo) wind up outweighing substantial buff AS provides for HST, HTT and HR.

Also, use your cooldowns more.  Your tectus kill was 9m26s, but you used HTT and ascendance only twice each.  Ogron took 6m+, but you only used HTT once, etc.  You want to make sure those are up when you need them of course, but aside from that be sure you're maximizing their usage.

On brackenspore you barely healed the mushrooms at all; maybe they didn't need it, but that's still a nice way to pile up some free HPS (especially since they'll be at low health a fair bit of the time.)

ed: I didn't look at every fight, but your HST uptime appears to be hovering around 35% most of the time, which is a number that could come up a fair bit.  Unless there's a super compelling reason not to (i.e. HTT is in use), drop that sucker on cooldown.

-----

This kind of thing really serves to illustrate why HPS is kind of a dumb metric to use for evaluation; if all the healers in raid are at 30-40% overheal on a fight where there were no deaths, pushing people to get a higher metered HPS isn't really incentivizing smart play.

Edited by Cheze

I agree with you on all points. The problem with cooldowns is that I am saving them for them to get used. Though this is only Healing Tide I should use everything else alot more. So I definatly just need to use them more visely while having a plan for using healing tide and still have it up when its needed. We usually plan this ahead before the pull so shouldnt really be an issue.

We saved mushrooms for Infestation Spores and we had assigned someone to heal it up, and that was not me. Though, I could though. Shamans arent bad at mushroom healing.

Which fight was HST uptime bad on? I am quite sure I usally keep it off CD. And now I also have Totemic Persistance so HTT doesnt conflict with HST uptime at all any longer.

I agree on you with your last point btw. Thanks alot.

You armory link isn't working for me right now, getting a 404 error, but I can critique the logs from butcher as much as possible.

First thing I noticed is that your kill was 4:33, yet you only used your 3 min CDs once. The damage output on Butcher is pretty constant from about 15 seconds after the pull until he is dead. Use Healing tide and Ascendance early in the fight to preserve mana and boost your healing. By the time you get to 30% and you need them again, they will be back up. I don't see any usage of Spirit Link Totem which should also be used twice in a fight like this.

Next, your uptime on Earth Shield was low, only about 43%. Last time I checked, Earth Shield was our highest healing per mana of any spell (not including healing tide). Since mana is definitely an issue, increasing its uptime will save you mana and since it does no overhealing, it will increase your throughput as well. 

I would highly recommend using Conductivity on a fight like this. If there was ever a fight that conductivity was made for, Butcher is it. You can maintain very high uptime on Healing Rain with only 5-6 casts total which once again saves mana and boosts throughput. 

Since you are taking Elemental Blast, you should not be using Unleash Life very much, perhaps only during the knockback phase when you are running back into position, but even then, a Riptide, Healing Stream, Earth Shield or Ancestral Swiftness + Chain heal/Healing Rain is probably better. Also, you run out of mana about 20-30 seconds before the boss dies and are running on fumes. Casting Elemental Blast on cooldown earlier in the fight will help you avoid this problem later in the fight. 

I don't see any level 15 talents in this log. No Astral Shift or Stone Bulwark casts, and no proc on Nature's Guardian. If you are taking Nature's Guardian, but it never procs, then you should switch it to something else (I prefer Astral Shift). 

I believe you are using glyph of Riptide on this fight, since your initial heal is only 3K on average. That is a mistake since the main advantage of the Glyph is that it increases mobility and increases your choices for Chain heal. Neither of these are a concern on Butcher since you are mostly stationary, and so many people are taking constant damage, that any Riptide target is a good choice for Chain heal. 

You have 4 hunters in your raid, but no Aspect of the Fox cast. Get you raid leader to have them rotate Aspect of the Fox for each knockback so that you never have to stop your rotation. 

Take a look at my log of Butcher heroic here. I feel that these points are the main things that I did differently on this particular fight. I did rank quite well on this parse, but I am still working on improving as well, primarily on the things that I mentioned in this post. 

Thanks Muzokon. You are right on every point, and I agree. Learned a lot from it. It comes down to be using spells that makes sense and using glyphs and talents that suits the playstyle of the bossfight. I allready progressed alot on that today.

I find it curious that many comment on the Butcher fight, there are other fights in the log as well. Thanks alot anyway.

All day played without riptide glyph and Ive used healing tide, ascendance and other cooldowns as often as possible.

Also, what is your philosophy around using Healing Wave instead of Chain Heal? I am under the impression is that its always smarter to use chain heals as long it will jump to other targets. Even though I know its alot more expensive.

The reason I focused on Butcher was because it was the first fight I saw when I clicked the link and by the time I was done with it, I had already written so much that I didn't get to the other fights. I will try to make some brief comments on the other ones though now. 

As for healing wave vs. chain heal, always chain heal if you can afford it, and you will get good value out of it. Basically, if Chain heal gets to heal 3 injured targets with no overhealing, then it is both better healing per mana and healing per cast time than healing wave. In that case, there is really no reason not to use it. Yes, you need to properly budget you mana over the course of the encounter, but that comes with not spamming chain heal, but rather using it as a filler in between riptide casts, healing stream totems, healing rains, and earth shields. Spamming chain heal will make you go OOM fast, but you should only be spamming it during short high damage phases like Tectus' upheaval. But as a filler, Chain heal is better in every metric than healing wave if it can heal 3 targets.

Kargath is a bad fight to evaluate healer logs imo, at least on heroic and normal. The damage output is quite low, and people only really die to near insta-kill mechanics like blade rush. 

Brackenspore however is interesting. As others have mentioned, heal up those mushrooms! They are top priority at pretty much every point of the fight. On this fight, you don't cast a single Healing Surge. For me, that is pretty much all I am casting. the blue mushrooms greatly increase mana regeneration and can bring you from oom to full mana over their duration. They also spawn on a set timer. With this in mind, you should try to use almost all of you mana in between the times that they are up. When the green mushrooms pop up, apply earth shield to it and spam healing surge to get it active asap. Then keep it up with healing wave/riptide/HST, and healing surge once it gets low. Same with the blue mushroom. Make sure you are not OOM when the blue one pops up or else you can't heal it up. But you are capped on mana most of the time this fight, especially when the blue mushroom is out. I also like conductivity here since the raid is mostly stacked, and you can throw a rain down, then spam healing surge on the mushroom and keep some healing on the raid as well as single targeting the mushroom. Elemental blast isn't quite as good here since it's main benefit is the spirit proc, but mana is not much of an issue as I mentioned before. Try out Unleashed Fury to increase burst healing on the mushrooms. I see you also broke your own Water Shield by applying Earth Shield. You know better than to do that, so avoid it. I don't know how you cast, but I use mouseover macros, and it is easy to adjust them so that I cannot accidentally cast earth shield on myself unless I actually target myself. Same thing here with using 3 min CDs early and often.

Tectus, my god, I hate tectus as a resto shaman. Way too much movement when raid damage is the highest (5 bosses out) and we are not great with movement to begin with. Anyway, uptime on earth shield still needs improvement, only 61%. Obviously you want to shoot for 100%, but 85% is a not a bad place to be considering you have to be out of range of the tanks sometimes due to the chaotic nature of this fight. Lots of casts on unleash life which are not great unless you have nothing else available, but since you are using Glyph of Riptide (which I don't care for) you should rarely be using Unleash Life over Riptide. Maybe if you need the speed boost to get out of the red stuff, but even then, 21 casts is too many without the Unleash Fury talent. Your Nature's Guardian procced twice this kill. For my character, that's about 110K in healing over the entire fight. If you used Astral Shift and activated it during Tectonic Upheavals, you would prevent far more than that over the course of the fight, not to mention if you just need to run through some red stuff to get to a safe spot. 

Twin Ogron. You never go OOM this fight. That's probably because the damage is rather low if people avoid the fire correctly. But you still have Elemental blast, and you only cast it 6 times. Better off using Primal Elementalist imo. Earth Shield uptime is better at 78%, still work on getting it as close to 100 as possible. No spirit link totem at all this fight, you could easily fit it in during the fire phase if people are stacked and some people don't dodge correctly, or use totemic projection to "throw" it at a tank and the melee if they need it. Non healing related, but in a 6 min fight, you can throw out Fire Elemental totem on the pull, and still use it again later for that little bit of extra DPS, every little bit counts. Uptime on Healing stream totem was only 34%, I know there is some downtime with no raid damage, but it should still be closer to 50%. 

Koragh, you mana management was good here, although you pretty much neglected Elemental Blat in the second half of the fight. Still try to fit it in even if the raid damage is high, it buffs your stats and allows you to cast more chain heals without going oom. You timed your ascendance poorly this fight, over 80% of Restorative Mists healing was over healing. Compared to your Twin Ogron kill, where only 40% was over healing. Tectus and Brackenspore also had high overhealing on this ability too. Are you using Spiritwalker's Grace? I think I saw it once on Brackenspore, but not much else. It only has a 2 min CD, so use it any time the raid needs healing and you need to move. This happens a lot on Koragh, at least using my raid's strategy. 

Imperator Margok. You Earth Shielded yourself. Twice. Stop that. Only one Healing Tide, and one Ascendance, and 2 Ancestral Swiftness on a 12 minute fight? You have to use these more. You went oom, a few minutes before the end of the fight and you healing dropped of dramatically during the phase with the highest damage output. damage output is not extremely intense during the first few phases, so focus on keeping you mana pool up with Elemental Blasts. You spent a ton of mana during minutes 4-6 which I think is around the first transition phase. Looking at your casts, it seems like you were spamming chain heal during this time. Work with your raid leader to have a healing cooldown rotation for this phase. You could use you Healing Tide since you didn't use it until more than 3 minutes later anyway. Actually, it looks like your Druid did use tranquility during this time, and you Chain heals had low over healing, 8%. I am not sure what is going on there, but all of your healers blow most of their mana during this time, so finding a way to reduce the damage taken and conserve mana during this 2 minute window will probably help your healing later in the fight. Once again, Earth Shield uptime was low, 53% (and 1.3% of the time it was on you), and Nature's Guardian only procced twice so look into using Astral Shift more often.

Morning, guys!

I read the above posts and would like to point on a couple of things.

Tesshin, I thought your question was "How improve my healing", not "How to beat the Haste classes in logs". They are different questions with different answers. It is true what Cheze wrote about heavy Haste stacking, but believe me, if your RL or main healer knows to read the logs and knows more or less all the healing classes... Your attitude will be questioned. I am a healing coordinator for our raids. I always go through the logs after the raid to look what every one of the healers was doing. If something goes wrong on pulls, I look into the logs during the raid. I do not look on HPS if it's not something really weird - I check spell usage and heal targets of every one of the healers. Tesshin, every person who knows to read the logs and knows healing classes can see what you were doing. So, if you want help in improvement of healing, I'm glad to help, but I wouldn't give here tips how to beat other classes in HPS meter.

HST usage: I looked at the other fights too. Well, It could be a bit better. On Twin Ogrons you had 9 casts from 13 max possible, On Tectus 14 from 18 max. But we are all human beings and I understand that it's not always possible to keep everything perfect.

What I can suggest you here: you have a WA aura for EB cast (if I got it right from your video) - use the same for your HST reminder on the right side.

I personally don't like Conductivity. It makes me too inflexible - to fully utilize it you have to be sure that people would be stack in the same place during the fight. But if they are not - you utilise it only partially or even continue to keep HR in place when it's better already to move it. Well, it's my personal opinion. There are shamans who like Conductivity.

I want to go back once more to your raid CDs usage. I would advice you not to use a macro to pull all the CDs together. Frankly, I can't see any usage for it except of hypothetical situation that you are in the end of the fight, all healers are dead and you have to keep the raid alive for the last 5% of boss.

For any other situation remember that you are not solo healing the raid. When you push all your CDs together, other healers are healing too, so most of your CDs just go to overheal. And you don't have anything remained for emergency. We can talk more about raid CD usage after, if you are interested.

Elemental usage. Do I understand it right that your RL ask you to spec into PE and use your Elementals for DPS? If it's right, I hope that he is aware that you are losing healing or mana not utilising heal talent in tier 6. We are not talking here about big numbers, but you said in your first post that the difference between you and other healers are about 3%. So, if you are losing 1.5% of healing due to raid assignments, your RL have to be aware to it.

For Tectus fight I'm actually playing with idea of Ancestral Swiftness + Rushing Streams + Unleashed Fury + Cloudburst totem. And Glyph of Riptide. It's a fight with a heavy movement, so we have to use every possibility for instant or passive heals. This is actually the only fight where I would spam Riptides. Ancestral Swiftness for more Haste and a bit of instant casts. Rushing Streams - passive healing. Cloudburst totem - passive healing. For filling of CBT I would use UE+Healing Surge. UE you can cast on run, HS takes only 1.5 sec to cast and crits insane. This is my general idea for Tectus healing. I'm not sure if it's really valuable for you, because I saw in video that your are stacked together, while my raid is spread in a big circle. But maybe you'll find something useful :) And, yes, what's the issue with you casting Earth Shield on yourself? My macro for ES is " /cast[@mouseover] Earth Shield " and I never casted it accidentally.

Mazukon wrote an awesome post for you, so I will not write it once more. :)

If you have more questions, I'm glad to answer.

Mazukon. Thank you for your long post. I will try to adress everything you wrote.

1. Healing Wave Vs Chain Heal is what I expected then. But still it seems like Healing Wave is not as bad as I first thought. And I will try to use it alot more when it seems reasonable. Since it does heal for a total more than Chain Heal.

2. On Brackenspore there was another healer assigned to heal the Mushrooms because the green ones we save for infestation spores. But I could the blue ones at least, so I will spam them from now on with Earth Shield. That fight for us is very strange as a healer. People take very little damage and with all the absorbs from the paladin and the disc priest its hard to get heals in. Even our Holy Priest find this fight very annoying to heal. But I will go PE on this fight and snipe heal with Healing Surges from now on since mana should not be an issue on this fight.

3. I take your point about Natures Guardian. Since it rarely kicks in I will go with Astral Shift instead from now on by default. Twin Ogron is a strange fight. We basically moved almost all the time and I found myself having issues doing anything reasonable in this fight. I will however do alot better the next time on Twin Ogrons, since I now know what to expect and I will also use Spirit Link early and keep on cooldown. 

4. I have allready fixed my Elemental Blast issue. I had the wrong assumption I could use it in that raid when I "felt" I was running out of mana. But you have to use it on CD all the time and have it in the rotation. I allready improved on this massively yesterday. The same goes for HST. I know have my weak auras make alarm sounds and a huge icon on my screen when it is ready. I also use totemic persistance so I can use it with Healing Tide.

5. I cant remember ever to use Earth Shield on myself. And I would assume I would remember since its very easy see when you apply it to yourself. I only remember having to reapply Water Shield in the fight because it ran out. But ofc it would be insanely stupid of my to use Earth Shield on my self.

6. I think I could improve greatly by using my cooldowns better. However HTT is something I need to have ready when the raid leader calls it out. Someone used tranq and didnt have it ready when asked to and I think no one wants to do the same mistake after that. However, if we plan ahead I could use it early and then have it ready when it needed by the raid leader.

I can only find a way for my weak auras to track the number of charges it has left on the target. Is there a way to make the icon pop up when Earth Shield cannot be found on any target?

Pandacho. Nice to hear from you again. And I liked watching your stream by the way.

I spoke with my healing leader yesterday and their goal is that all healers in the raid should be even on the healing meters. So my only goal is to secure my raid spot by making this happen. My opinion is that the most important thing is not the healing meter alone, but that you spend your HPS at the right targets at the right time, and keep all your spells on cooldown and use your spells correctly. However, I am not the healing officer in the guild, so my opinion on the matter is unimportant. I need to be able to meet their requirements first, and then I will try to improve my healing in a more reasonable sense after Ive secured my raid spot.

Thank you, I now have a huge HST icon poping up when its ready. So I did like 5 runs in LFR yesterday and its alot better now.

My raid leader hasnt asked me to specc into anything. Sometimes I pop Fire Elemental right before the pull though.

I have no idea how I really managed to cast ES on my self. Its one of those mistakes that happens once a month.

I really like your tectus idea. I think the clue there is to heal as much as possible during the upheavals and as you say, passive healing and use spells that doesnt conflict with our movement.

I never used conductivity. It seems underwhelming and only reason is to save mana by not reapply it. Thok where you get interrupted seems like a OK fight to use it on, but except that I never use it. Rushing Streams seems so much better.

Yes. I have removed the whole macro thing. I use Healing Tide alone. And with Ascendance I use Blood Fury which is my Racial. And thats it and maybe I will use Elemental Mastery if I ever use that talent so I can get more casts out during Ascendance.

Pandacho. Nice to hear from you again. And I liked watching your stream by the way.

I will stream today in the evening too, if you want to see our new healing tactic for the Butcher (H).

I have an idea for you, if your RL is all about healing meters. Maybe it'll help. Add to your healing frames another healers HoTs and Disc priest shields, like in my stream. And try always to Riptide and direct heal people who are without HoTs or incoming healing (I hope that you see incoming healing in your frames). Pop your raid CD when all the raid drops 20-25% HP even if it's in the start of the fight. You will make huge amount of healing in 1-2 sec, while other healers cast one heal.

• Like 1

Yes. Thats a good idea. I will do that. Yes I do see incoming heals if I remember correctly. if not I will fix that.

Where did you get weak aura for cloudburst totem? Where you can see how much time it has left and the amount it absorbs at the time?

Where did you get weak aura for cloudburst totem? Where you can see how much time it has left and the amount it absorbs at the time?

I wrote it :)

You can check different auras for resto in this thread. Aura for CBT is there too.

I got into this evenings raid with a full raid of attempts on Margok HC. Ive applied all the changes thats been suggested and I think it was an improvement.

On margok I switched around with High Tide and Cloudburst, but to me Cloudburst seems a bit underwhelming. Maybe I dont use it good enough, eventhough I use it at cooldown.

The only thing I want to work now is more Astral Shifts, and more Spiritwalkers Grace and a bit more Earth Shield on the targets.

I did improve over the evening which I think you can see by looking at all the attempts.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/r6tHa8vPFZBRL3VQ#fight=29&type=healing&source=220

Several other posters here, Stoove and Pandacho mainly, seem to really like Cloudburst Totem. I personally do not like it at all. Its very awkward to use. It basically forces you into Totemic Persistence to avoid messing up with HST and Healing Tude, which is OK, but not ideal. I prefer call of the elements for more HSTs over the course of the fight. And it does it's burst of healing at a difficult to control time which leads to a lot of overhealing. Even if you use it absolutely optimally, it is a 10% healing increase which is substantial, but gets out classed by High Tide if Chain heal is 22% of your healing without High Tide. 

On some fights, like Tectus, it is even worse since you want it to pop during tectonic upheaval, but in the 15 seconds leading up to tectonic upheaval, there is very little damage going out, so you Cloudburst will not get charged up very much. If there isn't any damage before the burst raid damage, then cloudburst cannot get charged up enough to be worthwhile. I guess it could be OK when there are 5 bosses out and and basically constant damage going out, but even then I think High Tide spamming Chain heal gives better total out put. 

Cloudburst seems ideal on a fight that there is relatively constant damage output to the entire raid, and you aren't using Chain heal very much to make High Tide better. But, any fight where there is constant raid damage, you are using Chain heal a lot. So I feel like Cloudburst is never a great option and pretty much stick to High Tide exclusively. 

Edit: Actually I think it is even worse than that. CBT doesn't copy healing from other Water totems like Tide and HST. That means that assuming you are basically doing constant healing output, and HST plus Tide is 30% of your healing, then CBT really only caps out at 7%. But it could be a bit better if the high damage phases line up perfectly so that you are doing proportionally more healing when it is up and less when it is on CD. Kinda like how DPS stacks CDs with trinket procs, but damage output in fights aren't really as predictable as DPS CDs and trinket procs.

Edited by Mazukon

Several other posters here, Stoove and Pandacho mainly, seem to really like Cloudburst Totem. 

I have to point that you are completely wrong about me. I don't like CBT. I gave it a go on every boss to be able to see the difference and to not sound like a stupid person then don't like something never trying it. But CBT is not for my play style even when I see in logs that I can keep the healing roughly on the same numbers with CNT or High Tide.

If I see it somehow right, it seems that  people who like play with Haste don't like CBT smile.png

That means that assuming you are basically doing constant healing output, and HST plus Tide is 30% of your healing, then CBT really only caps out at 7%.

Yes, every time when I checked logs, it was about this percent.

Edited by Pandacho

I want to bust a myth about Cloudburst Totem: it does not do significant overheal. If you look at my latest log of a boss kill, you'll see it doing 5-6% of my healing with 0.71% Overheal! It did more healing per cast time than Healing Wave, and it was even more efficient as well.

Ko'ragh is actually one of those fights where I think either talent would be good; I could probably have got roughly the same healing from High Tide during that fight (using a back-of-envelope calculation I did).

Cloudburst seems ideal on a fight that there is relatively constant damage output to the entire raid, and you aren't using Chain heal very much to make High Tide better. But, any fight where there is constant raid damage, you are using Chain heal a lot. So I feel like Cloudburst is never a great option and pretty much stick to High Tide exclusively. 

Are you using Chain Heal constantly? I genuinely can't afford to do so.

Hey there, just made an account to give my two cents.

Currently I am not playing a resto shaman so I will not give class specific information (Played throughout MoP, but not in WoD). However, just because I do not currently play a resto shaman, does not mean I can't help smile.png

Admittedly I don't have much help to give, but any help is good help.. so lets get to it!

Firstly, (this will be in reference to the Tectus kill) I notice alot of your healing rains were essentially wasted (One around 0:35) and could be better placed, or not used at all (to save mana, will get to that later). I may be missing something but I ask you to watch over this kill video and have a look at your healing rain placements, and for everyone you place down, ask "Why did I put it there?" and "Why did I use it now?".

Why this is actually a pretty big deal can be seen @ 1:15. At ~1:15 in the video, Tectus starts to cast Upheaval which as we know is alot of raid damage. So ideally you would want to use Healing Rain right before the damage starts ticking, however because you used it about 10 seconds ago it was coming off CD and wasted, meaning for the beginning of that upheaval cast you would of wasted time (ideally) casting Healing rain.

tl;dr? Check your healing rains smile.png

My other main point is in regards to mana efficiency and healing meters. First of all, for that tectus kill, the healing meters mean absolutely nothing.

Look at 4:49, do you notice the priests and Rdruids mana (they are essentially OOM when you are @ 70% mana) and now look at the healing meters, a slight difference, but you did all those heals staying @ 70% mana, while they did their heals and going oom. Maybe you should bring that up and discuss that. If they claim they were OOM because you weren't pulling your weight, then they should of said something during the fight. Essentially you guys should just share the work load. However, there is clearly a communication issue and the fault lies with the priest/druid, but you are not entirely free of blame yourself. One of you should of noticed the massive difference in mana and said something in your voice-com (vent/mumble/ts...). For this tectus kill, I doubt it would of changed the outcome of the kill, however when you start getting onto harder bosses that are alot more challenging, healer synergy is alot more then calling out when to place HTT or tranq.

If someone goes OOM 50% into the fight, and someone is 70%+ mana, there is a massive issue and it lies with the person who is OOM, not the person who is at 70% mana (and keeping up on the healing meters, even if slightly behind). Why? Because in a harder fight that healer who thinks he is a hero because he is topping the meters has now caused your group to wipe, even if it takes a couple more mins for the effect to take place. (which is the other healers now having to heal alot more, thus using more mana inefficent spells, thus going oom faster).

Also, Healing meters on bosses that don't have super high damage (the majority of the heroic difficulty in HM) are dominated by players with absorbs and healers who are sniping (healers using mana inefficient abilities to get higher on the meters when there is no immediate danger to the raid). An excellent example of heals sniping in SoO is Sha of pride and Garrosh Hellscream. In Sha of pride, once he reaches 100% pride and uses his mass AoE damage ability, the only damage going out for the next 10-20 seconds after that burst is DoT damage (on a couple people) and tank damage (Assuming no projections). So a good healer will worry about people in immediate danger, THEN heal the raid. While a healer wanting to top the meters, or just a healer who doesn't fully understand the fight (Heals sniping isn't always a "I want to top meters" attitude, sometimes it can just be a lack of encounter knowledge) will blow alot of mana healing people using inefficent spells, when they could of just let EVERYONES low cost spells slowly get the raid back up to full.

This isn't as obvious in this tectus kill, but in every fight there is a degree of heal sniping. If someone gets hit to 70% and wont take damage for a while (The periodic damage on range from the adds), ideally one or two of the heals will throw a HoT on them, and they will heal up over that time period. However in a not so perfect world, a healer will use a mana efficient ability to get them to 100% asap, thus, wasting mana. If this happens over a 6min fight, then ofc there is going to be a difference in the healing meters.

Sorry that it became a bit of a rant, but it does annoy me that you are been overlooked for not been top of a useless meters like the HPS meter. Would love a reply from you on your thoughts on heals sniping and if you do bring it up with your guild let me know how it goes, good luck with everything smile.png And do not let them sitting you deter you from mythic raiding, it is part of the mythic climb dealing with shitty situations like this, do not let it break you.

@Stoove @Pandacho @Mazukon.

I agree mostly with all on you on Cloudburst. On paper it seems like a very good idea to use Cloudburst when the raid is taking constant damage here and there. But my personal experience with it on Margok Heroic is that its cheap, but does not give same output as High Tide. I might use it wrong or not optimally, but thats my experience. And according to my logs it gave me 7% more healing. That is something, but its another GCD every 30 seconds, and all the micro management that comes with it.

Personally I think this talent should be buffed. Maybe if it absorbed some fraction of the healing done by the other healers as well. I dunno. It feels a bit weak. And I used it while I was at 33k HPS and the heal it lets out absorbing that over its duration was a bit meh. But its a very interesting concept which I really like.