FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
demonardvark

back into affliction lock, unclear about haunt

hi.

I jump around my toons and have jumped back into my lock. My favorite spec is affliction so I started there and read the guides to catch myself up. With the new changes in wod everything seems more or less the same with one big change

haunt.

previously I used haunt mostly on CD to increase the damage of my dots. so after reading all the steps in the guide am I correct in thinking that haunt is now almost like a finishing move? Only cast when maxed on soul shards and some proc, or dark soul misery is up. Is that accurate? It feels weird to not dump it on CD

previously I used haunt mostly on CD to increase the damage of my dots. so after reading all the steps in the guide am I correct in thinking that haunt is now almost like a finishing move? Only cast when maxed on soul shards and some proc, or dark soul misery is up. Is that accurate? It feels weird to not dump it on CD

You were using Haunt incorrectly.  Haunt should always be used during procs and buffs, similar to Metamorphosis in Demonology and Chaos Bolt in Destruction.  Because it has a resource, you need to maximize efficiency.  It shouldn't feel weird to not dump it on CD because that was never how it was used since Soul Shards were introduced as a casting resource. 

You were using Haunt incorrectly.  Haunt should always be used during procs and buffs, similar to Metamorphosis in Demonology and Chaos Bolt in Destruction.  Because it has a resource, you need to maximize efficiency.  It shouldn't feel weird to not dump it on CD because that was never how it was used since Soul Shards were introduced as a casting resource. 

hahah that might explain why my dps was never amazing with it. At 540 gear in soo i was pulling 160k as destro and only like 80k as affliction. 

With Soulburn:Haunt though, you want to try to maintain as much % uptime as possible correct? I'm assuming as soon as you have two shards and your Haunting Spirits is below a certain threshold you can refresh without worry (What is the best time to refresh considering pandemic for SB:H?).

Edited by Vipples

You always want as much uptime as possible.  Shard generation isn't stable enough yet to maintain 100%, but with T17 set bonuses, it'll come damn close. 

Haunt lasts 30 seconds with Soulburn effect, so that means with "Pandemic" you can reapply it with 30 * 0.3 = 9 seconds remaining for maximum effect without clipping. 

Even with SB:Haunt, you still want to use Haunt exclusively with buffs unless you hit 4 Soul Shards.  SB:Haunt falls behind Demonic Servitude presently, however.

Show me a log that uses it on CD and has 100% uptime.  You won't find one.  All Warlock specs are designed around maximizing damage with CDs and procs.  Since all 3 specs have resources, you want to spend your resources during maximum DPS times.

Sorry to beat the dead horse but I tried affliction the other day and I just did horrid I believe. When we get procs for haunt do we spam it like CB or do I cast it let the debuff ride a little bit and then cast again so I am not losing too much of the debuff timer?

For reference:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/CpY8cawmRVvAXFkQ#fight=4

Except for UA I think my uptimes are good but my damage just seems meh.