FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
painmonster

Affliction DoTs not ticking on Inflamed Cats on M Kargath

Long time reader, first time poster.  Figured I'd send this out to the best warlock community I know.

I was looking at my DPS on M Kargath last night, and noticed when the cats run into the flame pillars, and get the Inflamed debuff which causes them to take 50% more damage for 10 seconds, my DoTs suddenly stopped ticking.

I've seen some posts about DoTs not benefiting from the 50% debuff, but haven't seen anything that says they just stop ticking outright.

The DoTs appear to still be on the cats, and start doing damage immediately after the debuff falls off, but for those 10s when the 50% damage debuff is active, I (and the other affliction locks I looked at) did zero damage from our Dots. My Haunt and pet's Doom Bolt single target damage spells did, but no DoTs.

Can anyone else confirm that I'm just not looking at this right?

Here's my log that I was looking at:

Here's another "top" affliction parse that I looked at, and see the same thing:

I admit I'm not the best warlock out there, but I looked at the logs, and my damage on the cats for the whole night was 12% of my overall damage, and not a single DoT tick happened during the Inflamed debuff.  It sure sounds like a bug to me.

Thanks for the help.

I havent dived super deep but...ya that's why it looks like.

Im not seeing a "XX expired from YY" so I dont think the dots are falling they...just arent doing damage...

Hunter, druid, shaman all seem to be working right...just not the aff dots.

Thanks locky.  I noticed that same thing about other DoT effects looking fine.

It may have something to do with the fact that the affliction DoTs don't have an instant-damage component to them.  The only other DoT I can think of like that is Vampiric Touch.  Finding a non-COP Shadow Priest log is tough, but from the one or two I've found, it looks like SW:Pain (with an instant-damage component) ticks fine, but VT (without one) does not.

Sure enough, went back through my logs.  I was wondering why I had 100% uptime on the cats but was getting CRUSHED by the RETRIBUTION PALADIN'S CENSURE.

I don't often rage, but this is rage-inducing.  This is seriously, unreasonably, awfully unacceptable.

BLIZZARD, FIX YOUR FUCKING GAME.  LETTING A MISTAKE OF THIS MAGNITUDE ON YOUR LIVE SERVERS IS A TESTAMENT TO HOW MUCH SHIT IS BREAKING AND HOW SHITTY OF A PRODUCT YOU ARE RUNNING.  QUIT BREAKING SHIT.  FIRE YOUR TEST TEAM AND GET PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY TEST THINGS! 

How the fuck does one break DoTs on just one part of an encounter?  How did this break? 

• Like 2

Sure enough, went back through my logs.  I was wondering why I had 100% uptime on the cats but was getting CRUSHED by the RETRIBUTION PALADIN'S CENSURE.

I don't often rage, but this is rage-inducing.  This is seriously, unreasonably, awfully unacceptable.

BLIZZARD, FIX YOUR FUCKING GAME.  LETTING A MISTAKE OF THIS MAGNITUDE ON YOUR LIVE SERVERS IS A TESTAMENT TO HOW MUCH SHIT IS BREAKING AND HOW SHITTY OF A PRODUCT YOU ARE RUNNING.  QUIT BREAKING SHIT.  FIRE YOUR TEST TEAM AND GET PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY TEST THINGS! 

How the fuck does one break DoTs on just one part of an encounter?  How did this break?

I feel like this punch would be a lot easier to take if we weren't getting smashed in the face already for having to work twice as hard for 85% of everyone else's dps....

Know what REALLY ticks me off?!

Mechanical Axebeak is NAMED MECHANICAL. It is crafted BY AN ENGINEER. But the pet type is FLYING.

WHAT KIND OF A WORLD ARE WE LIVING IN?!

Right, I forgot. Blizzard made it. GG.

Oh, I also tweeted @WarcraftDevs @Celestalon @CM_Lore about this. Not that I think it will do any good, I assume they will ignore the warlock community for a few weeks until they "discover" this "new bug" on their own with their own "testing" and it will be another week or two after that before we have a fix.

But at least I tried.

• Like 2

Almost couldn't believe it and thought it was just an error. I doublechecked my own logs too and it's correct. As soon as the tiger gets Inflamed dots just stop ticking. They don't fall off or anything just they don't do any damage.

Edited by Disiesel

the reason it didn't get caught in testing is because no one played aff until they broke everything else about the class.

As I suspected, there's growing evidence that this bug only affects DoTs which do not have an instant damage.  

- As Demo, Doom (no instant damage) is showing the same behavior as the 3 affliction DoTs.

- As Destruction, Immolate (instant damage+DoT) ticks fine.

The only other DoT I can think of without an instant damage component is Vampiric Touch, and I can't find that working either.

I guess I'll just do Destro for this fight until it gets fixed, or maybe try to get myself up into the stands.

EDIT : Yup, just looked at Survival Hunters.  Serpent Sting (instant damage+DoT) ticks fine during Inflamed.  However, Black Arrow (DoT only) does not.

This makes me feel a little better in that this bug didn't target warlocks directly.  It just hugely affects 2 of our 3 specs since we have so many non-instant damage DoTs.

Edited by painmonster

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/bvZ2kazX9AMxywQ7#type=damage-done&target=71  Here's our log from last week.  This is damage done to the kitties.  I'm almost always at the very top of add damage done because as the raid leader, I'm calling it, so I'm on it first.  I knew something was wrong when Elemental Shamans nearly doubled me. 

Flame Shock does not seem to be working as evident to our two Elemental Shamans having absymall uptimes of Flame Shock (they're not that bad) while maintaining very high uptimes on the boss.  Flame Shock is their only tick, so it looks like it's not working either.

Doesn't look like Shino used any DoT, so unable to see if Mages are affected by anything.

Krazyito's Moonfire and Sunfire uptimes are awful - which is not indicative of his gameplay.  This looks like Sunfire and Moonfire are broken as well.

With uptimes of 20% for Agony, 16% for Corruption, and 14% for UA, I'm going to reach out on a limb and say Affliction DoTs aren't working here.  In fact, it looks like Drain Soul wasn't doing any damage either.  It certainly felt like it was - and I thought I remember seeing it do damage...but I could be wrong. 

Spriest's DoTs were definitely affected.

Our Ret Paladin, Tido, is one of our best players.  As a melee, she always finds ways to get damage on things you wouldn't expect a melee to get damage on.  Her Censure DoT was also affected by the kitty fire.

Those are pretty much the examples we have.  I do have one question though - I wonder if it's ACTUALLY a problem or if Warcraftlogs isn't reporting damage actually happening making the logs look skewed while we actually were much higher?  I faintly remember someone linking Skada damage done to pets - if WCL and Skada agree, and both are pulling from combat logs, then I think it turns out it's a mechanical issue, not a logging issue.

I can't seem to get the right settings in my guild's logs to look at this to test for myself. We are taking the week off of mythic for the holidays so I wont have a chance to look until next week. I tweeted Warcraft devs so that they were made aware of the issue.

I'll be paying VERY close attention tonight.  Going Destruction see if there's a noticeable difference since I can still do damage if Immolate doesn't work.

Zag, skada and WL do not record data the same way. IF I understand it correctly, skada only counts damage that actually goes off, where WL records damage that is mitigated: ex. Ko'ragh shield damage is not counted by skada (all magic damage done not during vulnerability) but WL reads it correctly. In my experience, WL is more reliable than skada. Not less.

Yeah it looks like you're right Zagam.  I'm not sure what logs I was looking at earlier, but I swear druid DoTs and Flame Shock were all working fine before.  Maybe I just saw what I wanted to see, or maybe it's a "hotfix" that was put in which broke it, and I was looking at logs from before it was broke.

At any rate, from your logs, it certainly looks like many other DoTs are being affected by this, and not just the ones that don't do instant damage.

And I wondered about it being a logging or WCL issue as well.  I assume the log file itself represents everything that happens in combat, so I'd be really surprised if the damage was indeed happening but not being logged.  However, it could be an issue with the damage being logged but somehow not making it into WCL.  I guess the only way to figure that out would be to look at the logs directly.

-pain

Zag, skada and WL do not record data the same way. IF I understand it correctly, skada only counts damage that actually goes off, where WL records damage that is mitigated: ex. Ko'ragh shield damage is not counted by skada (all magic damage done not during vulnerability) but WL reads it correctly. In my experience, WL is more reliable than skada. Not less.

This is definitely not correct.  Skada definitely keeps tracked of stuff absorbed but as you point out, there might be some unique situations Skada can't handle.  I'm only trying to find reasonable doubt that Blizzard didn't mess up and it's recording problems, not mechanical problems - although I think Blizz just screwed up.  No disagreement about WCL being more reliable than Skada, but Skada is very powerful for instant analysis. 

Yeah it looks like you're right Zagam.  I'm not sure what logs I was looking at earlier, but I swear druid DoTs and Flame Shock were all working fine before.  Maybe I just saw what I wanted to see, or maybe it's a "hotfix" that was put in which broke it, and I was looking at logs from before it was broke.

At any rate, from your logs, it certainly looks like many other DoTs are being affected by this, and not just the ones that don't do instant damage.

And I wondered about it being a logging or WCL issue as well.  I assume the log file itself represents everything that happens in combat, so I'd be really surprised if the damage was indeed happening but not being logged.  However, it could be an issue with the damage being logged but somehow not making it into WCL.  I guess the only way to figure that out would be to look at the logs directly.

-pain

I'm not going to sift through every spec's logs, but I'll bet there is a plethora of DoTs that don't work.  I didn't check things like Serpent Sting, Blood Plague, Frost Fever, Holy Fire, etc.  I'll bet there's a lot that's broken.  It kind of makes it so if you're a DoT oriented class like a Shadow Priest, you shouldn't be on the dogs.  Doesn't Lava Burst gain some benefit from Flame Shock being up?  I mean this kinda bug is pretty damning against Kargath.  Perhaps that's why they made him so easy.

This is definitely not correct. Skada definitely keeps tracked of stuff absorbed but as you point out, there might be some unique situations Skada can't handle. I'm only trying to find reasonable doubt that Blizzard didn't mess up and it's recording problems, not mechanical problems - although I think Blizz just screwed up. No disagreement about WCL being more reliable than Skada, but Skada is very powerful for instant analysis. .

That's totally fair. Ko'ragh is the only situation where I've ever felt like my skada was woefully wrong. From that I made the assumption that they work differently. It also could've been a bug in my version of skada (because I'm lazy about unimportant updates) or anything else. I didn't recall any other situation where I had shield damage to a mob while looking at skada, and made assumptions off that. I may be (read probably am) wrong about this. Just my experience.

Edited by Astynax

Now that I think about it, I can't think of another time other than seeing Skada record damage through player's Power Word:Shield during Mind Controls.  I can't think of a boss that put another absorb effect on them. 

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/xghVm9BFTrkHqtJc#fight=1&type=damage-done&source=12&view=events&target=54&pins=0%24Separate%24%23244F4B%24auras-gained%24-1%240.0.0.Any%240.0.0.Any%24true%2479296.0.0.NPC%24false%24163130

Here is our logs from this week. Looks like my dots did not tick during the inflamed debuff either.

I am Apsallar on the logs.

Edited by Middari

Skada can track the damage through Ko'ragh. Our raid leader recorded our kill and he has the total damage up and you can see the numbers going up through the whole encounter. I was using recount at the time and couldn't see crap on mine.

Trying to set up Skada now but its not tracking my pet damage (I have merge pet checked) and I wont be able to test it on Ko'ragh til later this week.

Skada can track the damage through Ko'ragh. 

To do this. Download the ALPHA version of Skada via curse, if you don't know how then look it up.

Our guild did this first week and its been working fine since. 

To do this. Download the ALPHA version of Skada via curse, if you don't know how then look it up.

Our guild did this first week and its been working fine since.

I mean, I don't particularly care. I use the meter to trouble shoot during progression and whatnot more than to deal with actual references. I was just citing my experience with my version.

I realise this, but you arent the only one having the same issue and the alpha version makes things a bit more clear.