FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
jloopy212

[Frost] Help with Underperformance

I'm looking to improve my performance in HM Normal/Heroic.  I'm chronically underperforming where I should be by ~15% probably due to some significant errors that I've been unable to identify.

Armory Profile

Butcher Kill - Me - ~21k

Butcher Kill - Ayeen (similar gear/spec/etc.) ~24k

This was from a few weeks back and only our second kill, but this lagging has carried through even with gear upgrades and performance improvement.  Here's H Kargath:

H Kargath - Me ~21k (pre-death)

H Kargath - Ayeen ~27k

Rotation and spec are standard (IN/MI/PC).  Our sustain is actually pretty similar, but the other mage's burst is significantly higher than mine.  For example, on Kargath, I peak around 60k dps during BL and spike to ~30k during non-BL PCs whereas the other mage peaks around 80k during BL and spikes to ~40-50k on other PCs.

My opening burst is as follows:

Pre-pot

MI

2xFB (Water Jet)

IV

FO

PC

IL -> FFB (BF) -> IN -> FB (priority on PC)

Basically repeating as PC comes off CD (saving FO and FoF stacks for it when I can).

For non-burst, I use the normal priority:

IL (2 stacks FoF) -> FFB (2 stack BF) -> IL (1 stack FoF) -> IN (2 charges) -> FFB (BF) -> IB

So it seems like something significant is up in terms of my execution, but I'm struggling to pinpoint what it is,

without looking into it too much, casting mirror images after icy veins (im sure you have it glyphed) would help, MI hit like a truck and they benefit from your IV.

Also I cast PC before FO and burn my brain freez and 1 FoF proc, cast FO, with its travel time you should be able to fire off the next FoF without your GCD effecting you too much.

Edited by Soffic

without looking into it too much, casting mirror images after icy veins (im sure you have it glyphed) would help, MI hit like a truck and they benefit from your IV.

Also I cast PC before FO and burn my brain freez and 1 FoF proc, cast FO, with its travel time you should be able to fire off the next FoF without your GCD effecting you too much.

I didn't look at his log, but i feel you are leading him astray!

Depening on your positioning for the raid boss you want to try to use MI ~3sec before full with pre-pot and cast frostbolt to hit the boss as it's pulled. It's a prefernce thing, but I try to use water jet for prep an icelance at the same time. I'm really tired so someone might want to correct me if I'm wrong, but you cast icy Veins right before frozen orb so it benfits from the multistrike.

Your opener should be similar to this

~3secs to pull prepot MI>Frostbolt w/ Waterjet for proc and give time for boss to be positioned>Icy veins>Frozen orb>PC>SPAM EVERYTHING.

I left out Icy nova and frost bomb because i'm on the work computer and can't view logs.

edit: There has been a lot of controversy over the perfect opener on alter-time, but they are all really similar. Also it might seem wierd at first, but hold on to Frozen orb until PC comes up.

edit 2: I guess I didn't explain why I thought you were misinforming him. MI causes a GCD and you lose spam time casting icy veins then MI. MI scales dynamically so no problems about it not benfiting.

Edited by Conamus

I didn't look at his log, but i feel you are leading him astray!

Depening on your positioning for the raid boss you want to try to use MI ~3sec before full with pre-pot and cast frostbolt to hit the boss as it's pulled. It's a prefernce thing, but I try to use water jet for prep an icelance at the same time. I'm really tired so someone might want to correct me if I'm wrong, but you cast icy Veins right before frozen orb so it benfits from the multistrike.

Your opener should be similar to this

~3secs to pull prepot MI>Frostbolt w/ Waterjet for proc and give time for boss to be positioned>Icy veins>Frozen orb>PC>SPAM EVERYTHING.

I left out Icy nova and frost bomb because i'm on the work computer and can't view logs.

edit: There has been a lot of controversy over the perfect opener on alter-time, but they are all really similar. Also it might seem wierd at first, but hold on to Frozen orb until PC comes up.

edit 2: I guess I didn't explain why I thought you were misinforming him. MI causes a GCD and you lose spam time casting icy veins then MI. MI scales dynamically so no problems about it not benfiting.

you macro it.

by casting MI before IV, and before the pull, you are missing on valuable uptime on your MI with the IV benefit. MI hit like a truck.  Also you want MI to benefit as much as 100% from any trinket procs, im not 100% sure but i think MI benefit from like +int procs etc.

Edited by Soffic

you macro it.

by casting MI before IV, and before the pull, you are missing on valuable uptime on your MI with the IV benefit. MI hit like a truck.  Also you want MI to benefit as much as 100% from any trinket procs, im not 100% sure but i think MI benefit from like +int procs etc.

I guess I'm slightly confused, IV is 25 vs MI being 40 seconds and since I'm only casting for ~5-6 seconds in between, MI benefits from full duration of IV.  Casting IV first would lose at least 1.5 seconds of IV for both MI and my casts.  I do lose a few seconds on MI pre-pull (maybe 2-3 seconds) so I will try casting after pull.

At any rate, both logs linked IV benefited from full duration of IV so that's not the primary issue.