FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Archived] S20 Hearthstone Mage Mech Aggro

Guest Jaz

I swapped Dr.Boom for sneeds old shredder because Dr.boom all ways gets killed by big game hunter and sneeds is just a better card in general plus boom bots have never really done much for me

Haha, I think you're the only person in Hearthstone history to remove Dr. Boom from a deck because it was too weak :P

Ok, not quite.

• Like 2

Guest CoinaYetin

Im not really too sure about this... But is Flamewaker a good swap for Harvest Golem?

It has the benefit of making better use of the spare parts, and leaving a bigger body on the board, but the drawback of not being a mech, thus not activating cards such as Tinkertown Technician. 

Yeah people have messed around with trying to meld together the Tempo Flamewaker deck and Mech Mage, the build isn't quite there yet in terms of strength, but the strengths and weaknesses of the idea are pretty much exactly as you describe.

The only mix of mage tempo and mage mech I've enjoyed playing so far is very aggressive and very low curve build that focuses on trio of "shooting" minions: Goblin Blastmage, Flamewaker, Knife Juggler. It barely has any mech left in it, often have a bit of trouble with activating Blastmage.

Any other combination of I've tried played as either inferior mech or inferior tempo. They just have different game plans and there is not enough space in the deck to satisfy both.

2 Legendaries = 1600 x 2 = 3200
3 Rares = 100 x 3 = 300
18 Commons = 18 x 40 = 720

3200 + 300 + 720 = ???

Guest Thabburn

Can i replace 1 spider tank with emperor thaurissan?

Guest Paul

I made a few adjustments to the deck and it seemed to work significantly better, I went from rank 20 (i hadn't played this season) to rank 9, losing only 2 games. I took out both mirror entities, both mad scientists, the azure drake, and Loatheb. I replaced these with 2 flamestrikes, Ragnaros, Sneed's old shredder, Blizzard, and a Piloted sky golem.

That seems much, much worse to me, but if it's worked well for you then for sure run with it.

Just be aware that Blizzard/Flamestrike in a deck like this is kind of a crutch, a lot of players think they need a Flamestrike because they're falling behind on the board a lot, but this is a deck that if played well, and mulliganed well will be ahead much more often than behind, if you find yourself falling behind a lot and needing a Flamestrike, it's likely you're just not playing the deck optimally. Also there's kind of a mental trick that Flamestrike can play. By having a Flamestrike in your deck, you can draw it early, and then by that card being dead in your hand, you'll find yourself falling behind more and think "wow, i'm glad I have this Flamestrike right now", instead of correctly identifying that the dead Flamestrike in your hand is the whole reason you're behind in the first place.

• Like 1

Guest Reeven

Sottle, i want to put 1x The Black Knight in my mech aggro deck, which one should I replace so I wont mess up with the curve? I have been using Mech Mage for a while, it get me to Rank 4 (targeting legend thought tongue.png)

Guest Cory B

I've been playing the low budget version of this deck for awhile and have been having really good success/luck with it but I just pulled a Dr Boom from a pack last night and I realized that the only card I'm missing from THIS version of the deck is Archmage Antonidas.

What would be a few good replacement options for him for now until I'm able to craft him?  Piloted Sky Golem, Kel'Thuzad, Baron Rivendare(possibly) .... or something else entirely?

Guest Cory B

Nevermind on my previous post. I ended up with enough dust to go ahead and craft Archmage Antonidas.

Sottle, i want to put 1x The Black Knight in my mech aggro deck, which one should I replace so I wont mess up with the curve? I have been using Mech Mage for a while, it get me to Rank 4 (targeting legend thought tongue.png)

Loatheb is your best bet.

Would you recommend this deck or your aggro tempo deck to spam in order to climb the ladder? Also, how do I deal with hunters? I seem to get wrecked by them?

Thank you for your time, and great guides.

I like the Aggro/Tempo deck a little better currently, especially if you're facing a lot of Hunters. Turn 1 Mana Wyrm, Flamewaker, and Mirror Image are all things that help that matchup a lot.

Guest Hsb

What about pulling one of the drakes and putting in an echo of medivh? Good opportunity to get a lot of minions in your hand quickly?

Guest himegoto

Wouldn't antonidas also be too slow for this deck?

I have it on my tempo mage and it works OK there because that's a slower deck than this and I already feel I could use something faster. And frankly there aren't as much spells in this deck.

Rag feels like a good sub instead of antonidas but I don't have it. Any other suggestions? Thanks

The deck generates Spare Parts for you, that's why Antonidas is in the deck. It's important to have bombs to finish off the game, and Antonidas is the best fit since it does exactly what you want it do in the late-game, generates more damage for you.

Guest Soulreaver

Hi all, I'm having problems with this deck vs Hunters and Rouges. I mean, not like they are powerful enough, but it's very irritating, when they put everything on face. They don't even try to pretend like they care about any trades, they just rush everything into face and deal effect dmg. While it's quite easily counterable with good hand, if you start a little bit slower, regaining momentum won't do any good, because they don't even care about it. Last game vs Rouge I had 4 monsters on the field and 4 cards in hand (but I was at 3 HP due to his rush), he had empty board and was on topdeck. He topdecked Agent, attacked with knife and that was it. Overwhelming advantage < mindless hitting in the face. How to play in such match-ups? This is aggro as well, but it enters late game quite often and fast aggro is obviously better than slower aggro in direct fight. I'm really tired of loosing to Rexxar's shoots having full board and hand.

Aaa-Men!! Been wondering the same thing for awhile now, plus my issue with always running out of cards.. Other than that, I love this deck! Thanks to Sottle BTW, love this site, been a huge help! Cheers! :-)

Guest Soulreaver

The deck generates Spare Parts for you, that's why Antonidas is in the deck. It's important to have bombs to finish off the game, and Antonidas is the best fit since it does exactly what you want it do in the late-game, generates more damage for you.

Card draw/ lack of cards after turn 5 seems to be my only problem with this deck at the moment, other than that, I love it so far! Any thoughts? Ps. I also find myself having a hard time deciding when to stop trading down and start being more aggressive before I ultimately run out of steam and can't recover.. Any advice? Thanks in advance, cheers! :-)

Side note: Still waiting to replace my last Sky Golem with the Arch Mage.. Sure that might help a bit for my late game problems..

Guest freshmaker

Have to give it to you sottle, I was fortunate enough to find your guides very early into my foray into hearthstone and after a month in I've found myself having some success with this deck with one variation. I have rags in for antonidas due to not having antonidas. Progression has not stopped but has slowed down at level 13. Is there a better card I should be trying to use instead of antonidas? Also, I have been having issues with warriors using grim patrons with charge to completely destroy my board control and replace it with nearly a full board of 3/3-1s during the start of late game territory unless I have boom out. They do this in 2 turns or less usually and always seem to have a BGH waiting for rags when I try to break the cycle. Any advice on tackling this build without having to resort to giving them 2 to 1s to clear their board and save fireball/frostbolt?

Sign in to follow this