FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Gracilia

Mouseover macros

Hello.

I've been playing pve disc priest for a while. I have been using the addon Clique to bind my heals.

However, I would like to try to use mouseover macros instead because they seem more versatile - for example they can be used both on the raid frame and on the characters' nameplate. I think that this would help my raid awareness during encounters.

I've read the guide here on Icy-Veins that suggests the macro below. As stated it will cast the heal on one's current target as a default if one is not mousing over a friendly, living target.

Here is my question: I would rather have the default to be to cast on my focus instead of my target. I always put the tank on focus and target the boss for atonement healing. I would be grateful to anyone who can tell me how to alter the macro so it will do this.

I'm also interested in hearing how other disc priests heal using mouseover macros - just in case there is something that I can learn that I'm doing wrong. 

Thank you very much.

Grace

• #showtooltip Heal
  • /cast [target=mouseover,help,nodead][]Heal

This will cast Heal on your mouseover target, if it is a friendly target and it is not dead. Otherwise, it will cast heal on your current target.

#showtooltip Heal
/cast [target=mouseover,help,nodead][@focus,help,nodead]Heal
Will make you cast Heal on the focus target if there is no mouseover. You can add multiple [] behind to add up and create a priority list of sorts. 

I generally prefer binding my spells to /target mouseover and THEN /cast and use targettarget macros for atonement. such as

#showtoltip Smite
/target mouseover
/cast [harm] Smite; [target=targettarget, harm] Smite

that is because I don't generally use Focus, and for my atonement I prefer to follow whatever my group is attacking, rather than changing target myself. I haven't found my healing suffering from it thus far. A lot up to personal preference!

Hope I was helpful! smile.png

Edited by Earithrandil
  • Like 1

Thank you so much, Earithrandil. This seems very, very helpful. I'm going to go and try to make a marco like you suggest right now and see how it works.

I'd like to ask you a question about your atonement healing. You state that you follow whatever your group is attacking. That is what I do too.

However you say that you do this rather than changing target yourself. I use my mouse to change targets myself to the groups current target of choice, for example when an add dies and I need a new one to attack or when the attack priority is changed for some reason.

My question is this is there a smarter way of chaging target during atonement healing?

Here I am again with some more questions.

1. Would a priority list look something like this:

#showtooltip Heal
/cast [target=mouseover,help,nodead][@focus,help,nodead][@self,help,nodead]Heal

2. With the addon Clique, I can bind my right and left mouse buttons. I use this for spells with a cast time so I don't need my mouse to move. That works ok for me. But I cannot make the mouseover macro bind to right and left mouse. Is there anyway to do that? Or do you think that using these buttons for spells is a bad idea? Please enlighten me.

Thanks again for your help!

Well, when you target @self, you won't need to worry about help and nodead as if you're dead well you can't cast, and... why are you hurting yourself? ;)

I don't believe WoW directly lets you bind keys to Mouse1 or 2 (left, right click) (Unless you're meaning mouse3 and 4 which are used a lot for forward and back) Personally I think that binding Mouse2 is a bad idea, how else are you going to turn? :D

The bottom line is what you're comfortable with. My keybinds and macros are set up exactly how I like them, my brother who also plays a priest cannot stand how I have them and prefers another way to do his spells, which is different than another guildie who does it different again. For example, my mouseover heal macro is

#showtooltip

/use [mod:shift,@mouseover,help,nodead][mod:shift] Heal; [@mouseover,help,nodead][] Flash Heal

Doing it that way I can decide which spell to cast. (Shift+3 is Binding heal which builds serendipity which would allow heal to be as fast as flash) 

As for attonement healing goes, my spells are all designed similarly, holy fire/mind sear, smite/sw:pain, and Pennance is the only different one, where shift forces it to target only my focus, but I hardly focus anything now. Otherwise I have the boss targeted and will only heal with mouseovers, allowing me to easily mindbender and keep dots up. Though another neat macro is /targetenemy /cast #### /targetlasttarget

• Like 1

^All valid points. Especially how it's hard to "tell" someone how to macro and handle that aspect of their healing, it really comes down to personal preference and what you are comfortable with. Keybinds etc are one of those things that are very personal, and it's hard, if not impossible, to say what would be "optimal".

What I meant by "following the group" (apologizing for that sentence, it's very unclear. Of course we follow the group) is that I, with the help of the target of target macro, let my guild mates do the targeting for me. I don't have to worry about switching target whenever a high prio add is up since the DPS should already be targeting that add. If your DPS is using mouseover macros and such to avoid switching target this obviously doesn't work, though that has not been an issue for me yet.

I do this, well... because I'm lazy. If I'm focused on healing I don't want to be arsed with switching targets and keeping track of adds. If you're confident in maintaining a proper target yourself then by all means, go ahead. More control is never a bad thing :)

I see no major issue with binding mouse buttons, I can see how it must be comfortable once you're used to it. The default WoW UI does not let you keybind to it though, nor can you "keybind" with macros (you can do modifiers but that is different) but it could work the same if you use other UI's, perhaps ElvUI or Dominos. Turning around, as TheRaidBoss said, seems a bit hard with RMB key binded though, but I assume you have a way for that.

Edited by Earithrandil

Another thing that could be worth of note is Penance, since it can be cast on both friendly and enemy targets.

What I do is use a modifier for this: If I press Shift it will be cast on the target of my target instead of the target itself.

There are numerous way to achieve the same results, with more control, or rather personal choice, in what target to Penance.

You can just macro it to cast on a mouseover target, and mouseover an enemy if you wish.

You can macro it to cast by default on mouseover, if no mouseover exists then on focus, and you can of course focus both a friendly player or the enemy.

You can use modifiers to make it cast on either mouseover, your target, your targets target or your focus.

The possibilities are rather endless and they all achieve pretty much the same results, it's all about finding what you're comfortable with.

As I've said above, I personally prefer to keep my targets on my allies when I heal and use target of target macros for damaging spells. This is what I've been doing for as long as I've been healing, it may not be optimal in any way, but it's what works best for me.

Regarding the macro you wrote, it's perfectly valid! I want to note though that if you have a mouseover that is friendly it will always cast on that, so keybinding RMB might be a bad idea simply because holding it down will hide your mouse, so that you safely cast on focus.

Thanks so much, guys! I'm trying to wrap my mind around all of this! Reminds me of my old raid leader raging at me "It's not rocket science!". Oh dear!

Anyway, I think that I've been doing things wrong - or at least I have not been playing with mouseover macros before. Except for Leap of Faith.

I've just made mouseover macros for all my spells. Now I'm going to play for a little bit and see how things work out.

This has really been very inspiring. I will let you know how things work out for me.

• Like 2

Thanks so much, guys! I'm trying to wrap my mind around all of this! Reminds me of my old raid leader raging at me "It's not rocket science!". Oh dear!

Anyway, I think that I've been doing things wrong - or at least I have not been playing with mouseover macros before. Except for Leap of Faith.

I've just made mouseover macros for all my spells. Now I'm going to play for a little bit and see how things work out.

This has really been very inspiring. I will let you know how things work out for me.

Good luck and you'll get it in time.

My raid team all uses neural silencers when I'm with them -.-