FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Laxxius

Tracking Dots

Do you use the default UI? Perhaps AffDots? or Raven? Spriest timers? I cannot get used to any of these to track my dot uptimes, especially on multiple targets. I find the bars hard to focus on when engaged in the fight, perhaps I'm not setting them up correctly. I like the icons, but my options for these are limited. Lately I've just been squinting at the dots below the default WoW nameplate, and using tidy plates for trash

Also, is it impossible to ask for a dot tracker where i could click the dots or the ahem of the mob and target that unit? Just curious what everyone uses and why it works for you.

Go to the WeakAuras thread and try that.  As Affliction, you should only maintain DoTs on 3 targets - after that, it's a DPS loss.  In terms of raiding in Highmaul, there are always only two targets you should have DoTs on that you care about, so a simple WeakAura tracking along with appropriate raid frames should resolve your issue.

• Like 1

I use Needtoknow, and it's worked fairly well for me. I can't say with full certainty that I've really used every feature it has, but it does feel just a tad basic at times. If all you are dot uptimes, it should be fine. If you want ability cooldowns and bubbles floating above the mobs, Weakauras is probably the better choice.

Guys, you all say "weakauras this" and "weakauras that", sometimes misleading people who had never used them (like me)

It's just a platform which you can script to do anything. 
But you have to work with it or borrow code from somebody. 

@Laxxius
ElvUI by default is friendly to dot tracking. WITHOUT it, however, life gets miserable. 

Check out this thread for weakauras https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/7227-60-weakauras-all-specs/

@Zagam
dis thread needs some love, though.
Warlock gameplay can benefit a lot from good weakauras. Maybe some kind of guide to WA?

Edited by Paracel

@Zagam

Warlock gameplay can benefit a lot from good weakauras. Maybe some kind of guide to WA?

Zag had nothing to do with the WA thread. 

A written guide to a program as large, complex, and fluid as WeakAuras is rather impractical. There are hundreds of YouTube videos out that give much better instructions then any written guide ever could. I would recommend people start there or just do what I did and start toying around with the program and learn hands on. 

• Like 1

start toying around with the program and learn hands on. 

I think this is by far the best way to learn WeakAuras. Think about what information you feel you need from WeakAuras and try to make it yourself. If you get stuck you can most likely find a solution through google and carry on from there.

Guys, you all say "weakauras this" and "weakauras that", sometimes misleading people who had never used them (like me)

It's just a platform which you can script to do anything. 

But you have to work with it or borrow code from somebody. 

@Laxxius

ElvUI by default is friendly to dot tracking. WITHOUT it, however, life gets miserable. 

Check out this thread for weakauras https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/7227-60-weakauras-all-specs/

@Zagam

I agree I dont touch weakauras because its so intimidating but perhaps this weekend I can mess with it. ElvUI has intrigued me and I think I will finally upgrade to it. i was worried it may overlap or poorly interact with the other 7 addons I currently have. I'll DL it and set it all up.

I saw something I REALLY liked in a youtube video www.youtube.com/watch?vJYdhhoUX9mQ#t=206. Looks like elvui right? and the dot tracker is big enough that its in your face and small enough its out of the way. Also, the numbers in bold are crucial, bars dont cut it for me.

Wouldn't it be nice if i could just click that box though and i would target the mob?

As Zevoa pointed out to you on the MMO-C forums, it's Raven smile.png

Love Raven. Nice little addon that I love. Set it up back in the first few days of MoP and haven't touched it since. Clean and works perfectly.

I consolidated my UI recently and got rid of what I felt was excess.

I used Weakauras for years and then moved to Tellmewhen, in reality, both do the same thing. For WoD I moved back to Elvui after using a custom UI for some time. And within a few runs of heroic dungeons I was able to completely ditch TellmeWhen and just use Elvui.

Tracks your own procs, dots, all that stuff. I think people can sometimes be quick to recommend weakauras and it provides a lot of extra fluff maybe not needed. 

If you do need an actual "addon" to help you, personally I'd recommend TellMeWhen. I just find it so much easier to manage and handle then weakauras. Especially for people new to that sort of addon.

I used to have TellMeWhen, track dots as icons above enemy unitframe. So there would be the DOT icon and a big number counting down in the middle. Was very easy and handy to track. 

I've removed TMW now so dont have the string, actually dont even have a screenshot but its a simple way to manage your dots. 

Tracks your own procs, dots, all that stuff. I think people can sometimes be quick to recommend weakauras and it provides a lot of extra fluff maybe not needed. 

If you do need an actual "addon" to help you, personally I'd recommend TellMeWhen. I just find it so much easier to manage and handle then weakauras. Especially for people new to that sort of addon.

TellMeWhen is to WeakAuras as a 1980's Toyoda Camry is to a LAV-25 with a M242 Bushmaster mounted on top. They will both get you from point A to point B, but the options you have in doing so are far different.

They also require different levels of understanding. TellMeWhen, much like a 1980s Camry, is very simple to set up and maintain. WeakAuras requires some learning and understanding in order to do anything outside of in-porting other peoples code. 

In other words, you get what you give. If you want a very basic option then TellMeWhen is fine, if you want to work magic then WeakAruas is amazing.

TellMeWhen is to WeakAuras as a 1980's Toyoda Camry is to a LAV-25 with a M242 Bushmaster mounted on top. They will both get you from point A to point B, but the options you have in doing so are far different.

They also require different levels of understanding. TellMeWhen, much like a 1980s Camry, is very simple to set up and maintain. WeakAuras requires some learning and understanding in order to do anything outside of in-porting other peoples code. 

In other words, you get what you give. If you want a very basic option then TellMeWhen is fine, if you want to work magic then WeakAruas is amazing.

I dunno I find that arguement misleading.

I'd a perfectly, complex understanding of Weakauras, and was using it long before it became somewhat mainstream, even using a previous iteration known as powerauras. 

I literally found TMW to be simpler, less frills and more straight forward. For most, both will achieve the same, but the constant push for Weakauras I don't understand, especially to users not familiar with using that sort of addon.

I "used" to have my screen looking like tower control in an airport with so many weakauras. I was able to cut it down perfectly to just proc and dot management along with a few other bits.

and even now, not using either addon. Might throw back in weakauras for another fiddle about. 

PowerAuras was the precursor to WeakAuras but it worked like a beta version of TellMeWhen.

WeakAuras and later WeakAuras2 are far more powerful due to the ability to input LUA code. Without custom LUA code WA2 and TMW are in the same ball park, but it is the custom LUA code that makes WA2 a space program compared to TMW's horse and buggy.

The crazy awesome stuff you can do with some LUA code and the combat log are amazing. Totally changing how you raid, not just in the GUI you use but also in the warnings you get, the warnings you send, the ability to track what is almost untrackable, the possibilities are endless.

PowerAuras was the precursor to WeakAuras but it worked like a beta version of TellMeWhen.

WeakAuras and later WeakAuras2 are far more powerful due to the ability to input LUA code. Without custom LUA code WA2 and TMW are in the same ball park, but it is the custom LUA code that makes WA2 a space program compared to TMW's horse and buggy.

The crazy awesome stuff you can do with some LUA code and the combat log are amazing. Totally changing how you raid, not just in the GUI you use but also in the warnings you get, the warnings you send, the ability to track what is almost untrackable, the possibilities are endless.

That's a fair point. 

But then does that make it a somewhat better suggestion, for someone looking into trackign dots? I don't want to turn this into a addon vs addon debate. In actual fact I see you are one of the main contributors to the weakaura thread. 

Going to throw weakauras in this evening and have a play around, co incide with my move to demo where maybe having some really big aids might help. Not utterally convinced, but you have some interesting WA's in that thread.

I guess there is also no arguement the WA community is much more vibrant, rare do you see anyone discussing or sharing their TMW setup. 

but the constant push for Weakauras I don't understand, especially to users not familiar with using that sort of addon.

If you ask Bruce Lee to teach you Kung-Fu, he is going show you some hard core neck snapping Kung-Fu.

bruce_lee_nunchaku_loop-44848.gif

Not some weak ass community center self defense video.

kung-fu-fail-2-o.gif

TMW works, it is a well made addon that does the job it is built for and does it well.

WeakAuras works, it is a well made addon that does the job it is built for and does it well. 

But WeakAuras is our Kung-Fu. Our Kung-Fu is strong. We recommend our Kung-Fu.

• Like 1

But then does that make it a somewhat better suggestion, for someone looking into trackign dots?

You can kill a fly with a fly swatter, but if you have a 155mm Howitzer - you can kill the fly and just about anything else.

155mm-Howitzer-firing.gif

187436.gif

• Like 1

Kinda remembered now why I dropped WeakAuras, LUA errors to beat the fucking band.

Imported your Demonic Fury bar, it's nice, and I may yet keep it, but again feels excessive to what I was already managing via Elvui. 

Think I'm just past the point of needing those visual aids, I've got myself use now to tracking Elvui Auras :( 

Do you use the default UI? Perhaps AffDots? or Raven? Spriest timers? I cannot get used to any of these to track my dot uptimes, especially on multiple targets. I find the bars hard to focus on when engaged in the fight, perhaps I'm not setting them up correctly. I like the icons, but my options for these are limited. Lately I've just been squinting at the dots below the default WoW nameplate, and using tidy plates for trash

Also, is it impossible to ask for a dot tracker where i could click the dots or the ahem of the mob and target that unit? Just curious what everyone uses and why it works for you.

I use Weak Aura to track mine. I'm at work atm but I can upload my WA string for my DoTs if you want when I get home.

I'll post a video after tonights raid so you can see how my UI works.

Edited by Adrammalech