Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Resto Shaman help!

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on healing Highmaul on my resto shaman. I've recently joined a new guild and I'm finding myself constantly behind the other healers.

I played this character during the last months of MoP and I never had any trouble getting the numbers out of it (rshamans were in a very good place) and now I believe I've lost my touch. I also feel like I'm trying to do many things, like casting stuff on cd and helping dps and I end up not doing anything.

Here is my armory page:

And here is a log from the Butcher (where shamans are supposed to be top healing and I was last):

Addons I'm using: ElvUI, DBM, ora3

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I'm new here, so sorry if this is the wrong place to ask or if I should give more information. Also, I apologize for my bad English.

Hi Cosette, I moved your thread to the Shaman section where it belongs. Welcome! smile.png

And here is a log from the Butcher (where shamans are supposed to be top healing and I was last):

I'll discuss the log in a second, but first I just want to say that I don't know who thinks Butcher is a good fight for Shaman. IMO, the damage patterns are all wrong for our toolkit - I've never felt that competetive at Butcher. On the other hand, I've had awful luck with drops so I'm at very low ilvl at the moment - this might colour my experience somewhat.

Here are some of my notes from your kill of H Butcher;

You need to either use Riptide more or to spec out of Glyph of Riptide. Comparing your log to your fellow RSham in the raid, not only did they cast Riptide more, but it is not glyphed for them - thus they did a lot more healing with Riptide. Since Unglyphed Riptide is extremely efficient for us, that puts you up straight away.

One thing you are doing right: dropping Healing Stream Totem. Your fellow RSham is not dropping it at all, so you are actually playing better than them in some respects. You're even casting it often enough! (You should be aiming to get 9 casts of Healing Stream Totem on that fight, and you got 9. Well done)

If you look at your Healing Tide Totem overheal, you'll see you're wasting most of the spell. If you aren't popping cooldowns at predefined times, try popping it when players are at overall lower health.

A large part of the discrepancy between yourself and your other RSham is the ilvl difference. Consider this; your co-healer is actually hitting slightly fewer targets per cast than you are, but still doing more healing with Chain Heal per cast. Part of that is likely to be ilvl, and part of that may also be timing - are you just casting Chain Heal whenever? It might be worth trying to time your Chain Heals to land when Cleave has just gone out (rather than starting the cast when Cleave goes out).

If you like, you can compare your log to one of mine - one of our first kills on HC Butcher where I was in ilvl 636. I was specced for Echo of the Elements and High Tide. You can see that my usage of Healing Stream Totem is worse than yours, and that I am casting a lot fewer Healing Rain in favour of Riptide. You can also see that I get significantly more casts of Elemental Blast than you do over a comparable timeframe.

I'm not saying that my logs are perfect (my performance on The Butcher is actually quite flawed), but maybe you can pick up some ideas there.

I hope that all helps!

Hi, Cossette.

I went through your logs and the first thing that I have to say that like many other shamans who come to the forum feeling that they are underperforming in some weird way, your raid has too many healers. 5 healers for 19-man is way too much. And here come the rules of 1) higher ilvl - more healing 2) druid's HoTs are faster than yours.

I would advice you (like Stoove) to spec of Glyph of Riptide. You have 5 healers and resto druid - so your Rt blanketing is not doing any significant healing.

As you can see in our comparing log, my unglyphed Rt did 1.7M of healing, while your glyphed only 560K during the same length fight with the same amount of people. It's a three time difference.

One more thing: as a single target heal I prefer to cast Healing Surge for the Butcher and not Healing Wave. HS does more healing here with nice crit and no overhealing.

Your Healing Wave Average vs my Healing Surge Average.

I personally still use Unleashed Life on CD, especially on high damage fights, maybe you should try it too. +30% to healing for CH, HW and HS is not bad.

Anyways, I can't say that you are underperforming badly or playing wrong. All these advices may help a bit, but generally you are healing right.

If you'll be able to provide some more logs, we'll try to help more :)

Nice advice from Panda there smile.png

Your raid has too many healers.

This is going in my sig.

Thank you so much guys! I'll try to change everything you've said and see how that goes :)

Is it okay if I come back in a few days with more logs? Or should I open a new thread?

Thanks again! biggrin.png

You can definitely come back here with more logs. No worries :)