FORUMS
Device

Focusing Shot + Pet vs. Lone Wolf

Hello there

I've recently respecced from Marksmanship back into my beloved Survival Spec. I am having much more fun and also seeing a small increase on my DPS.

Now I have a question:

I do more DPS using Focusing Shot and a pet than when I use Lone Wolf. I guess that is fair, but using Focusing Shot takes a lot of mobility away from me...

What are my fellow hunters thoughts? What are you guys speccing into mythic progression?

for Heroic Highmaul i use Focusing Shot unless it's an encounter that requires a lot of movement from me (Tectus&Twins mainly). But Ive been collecting hunter pets for 9 years and want to show them off so i never use Lone Wolf, Exotic Munitions isnt terrible but needs work

for Heroic Highmaul i use Focusing Shot unless it's an encounter that requires a lot of movement from me (Tectus&Twins mainly). But Ive been collecting hunter pets for 9 years and want to show them off so i never use Lone Wolf, Exotic Munitions isnt terrible but needs work

Never Exptic Munitions. It's around 1.5k-2.5k dps loss vs focusing shot. Both Tectus and twins have plenty of time to stop and cast FS, and aspect of the fox can be used if necessary. Tectus is mostly RNG whether or not it's a high movement fight for you, and twins there are ways so that you don't have to move much at all during quake.

@OP: Focusing Shot takes a bit to get used to, but pays off in dps. Keep using it and you'll find different ways to make it work so that mobility becomes a non-issue.

• Like 1

Hello there

I've recently respecced from Marksmanship back into my beloved Survival Spec. I am having much more fun and also seeing a small increase on my DPS.

Now I have a question:

I do more DPS using Focusing Shot and a pet than when I use Lone Wolf. I guess that is fair, but using Focusing Shot takes a lot of mobility away from me...

What are my fellow hunters thoughts? What are you guys speccing into mythic progression?

I dont have any huge issues with using focusing shot in heroic.  I just started mythic though, so my opinion might change on a few of those fights.  Some fights in mythic seem to favor MM actually.

Edited by Minigun

Do you have any advice on some kind of rotation you do with FS to maintain SF? How do you not get focus capped when you cast it twice? I heard you can get off an ES in between. Can you get 3xES with L&L off? 

Do you have any advice on some kind of rotation you do with FS to maintain SF? How do you not get focus capped when you cast it twice? I heard you can get off an ES in between. Can you get 3xES with L&L off? 

When you cast FS once, you get the SF buff. It's why it pairs so well.

As Nnx said you only have to use it once to get the buff.  The talent is only really decent if you pair it with FS.  Though, FS + ToTH is only sims as a 200 dps loss, and you allows for more mobility.  It's arguably better on mobile fights.

For Mythic I can't stand fs/sf.  The mobility handicap is a little much for most Mythic encounters imo.  Heroic it's fine but the dps increase from fs/sf quickly fades with how hectic it gets past Heroic.

LW/TotH does not sim far behind fs/sf and it's a bit more practical in most situations.  Fs/sf can obviously work in Mythic but keep in mind that just because something sims better, that does not mean it will perform better realistically (you obviously need to stand still for SF and the longer you don't maintain FS the gap between LW/TotH and FS/SF closes fast until it's eventually a dps loss).

Both specs have their pro's and con's either way.

Edited by Ulgratron

You're not supposed to use Steady Focus as Surv if you've a brain, anyway. Fights aren't Patchwerk.

Even so, Focusing Shot is perfectly usable to 95% potential on every single Mythic fight.

You're not supposed to use Steady Focus as Surv if you've a brain, anyway. Fights aren't Patchwerk.

Even so, Focusing Shot is perfectly usable to 95% potential on every single Mythic fight.

A lot of fights are patchwerk, or really close, outside of mythic.  If you ' have a brain' you would know that, and stop using specific circumstances to determine what is always best.

Edited by Minigun

True, except for..

Kargath, which requires frequent kiting. Will you always be picked? Nah.

Brackenspore, which requires constant target switching and frequent movement.

Tectus, which requires frequent movement and puts most of your damage in a near-constant movement phase.

Ko'ragh, which requires positioning, probably soaking (hunter derp) and proper spreading frequently.

Twin Ogron which requires you to avoid a host of mechanics.

Imperator Mar'gok which too requires you to avoid and deal with a bunch of mechanics, has transition phases with adds, etc.

Sims are patchwerk because they are designed to show the potential of a spec, not the reality.  It's up to the player to judge what works best for them.  Don't be a fucking dick.

Edited by Ulgratron

It just so happens that we deal in reality and not 'potential' reality. This is from the perspective of someone who uses sims for nearly all of his theorycraft. They just won't do by themselves.

A lot of fights are patchwerk, or really close, outside of mythic.  If you ' have a brain' you would know that, and stop using specific circumstances to determine what is always best.

Sneaky, make the edit to deliberately add an insult to your post after I've replied to it.

Pray tell me how Steady Focus is somehow better in any situations when Thrill of the Hunt is specifically recommended universally because of its versatility?

Edited by Azortharion

Simcraft currently shows taking SF with FS is a dps gain for most people over SF with TotH.  I personally don't care because I don't use SF or FS for that matter, I just think it's rude and tasteless for you to attack people for using it

Edited by Ulgratron

I edited it to fix a typo... but you can try to turn this into a flame war if you wish.

Simcraft currently shows taking SF with FS is a dps gain for most people over SF with TotH.  I personally don't care because I don't use SF or FS for that matter, I just think it's rude and tasteless for you to attack people for using it

Was on about Minigun, the fact that I was quoting his post might give it away but I don't know.

SimCraft currently shows taking SF with FS is a DPS gain on a Patchwerk fight is a DPS gain of a bit over half a percent.

1) A decent (and it's not that hard) player can get more Arcane Shots than the sim can, and make better use of ToTH procs than the sim can. I've written the fair majority of the SV APL as it is now in SimCraft (with no credit taken off Lokrick for writing its 'basics'), there are definitely improvements that a player could make that cannot (feasibly) be done in SimCraft.

2) Movement is a thing. ToTH enables more instants and less Focusing Shots which is inherently more movement potential. Highmaul is full of movement, which I covered in some length in another thread. The difference is small to begin with, and this is even ignoring the fact that a ToTH proc trivializes multidotting.

Summa-summarum, ToTH is the superior talent in Highmaul period. Not even Butcher warrants SF because of point 1.

I am sorry you took such offense. Calling me a 'fucking dick' and accusing me of trying to turn this thread into a flame war is no less rude and tasteless, some would argue.

Edited by Azortharion

Was on about Minigun, the fact that I was quoting his post might give it away but I don't know.

SimCraft currently shows taking SF with FS is a DPS gain on a Patchwerk fight is a DPS gain of a bit over half a percent.

1) A decent (and it's not that hard) player can get more Arcane Shots than the sim can, and make better use of ToTH procs than the sim can. I've written the fair majority of the SV APL as it is now in SimCraft (with no credit taken off Lokrick for writing its 'basics'), there are definitely improvements that a player could make that cannot (feasibly) be done in SimCraft.

2) Movement is a thing. ToTH enables more instants and less Focusing Shots which is inherently more movement potential. Highmaul is full of movement, which I covered in some length in another thread. The difference is small to begin with, and this is even ignoring the fact that a ToTH proc trivializes multidotting.

Summa-summarum, ToTH is the superior talent in Highmaul period. Not even Butcher warrants SF because of point 1.

I am sorry you took such offense. Calling me a 'fucking dick' and accusing me of trying to turn this thread into a flame war is no less rude and tasteless, some would argue.

I edited my post, our posts were similar and I thought you were responding to me, my mistake.  I stand by my other statement, you are be a fucking dick.

Well in rebuttal I think that your sense of what is "viable" and what is "best" for you is skewed and that you are super misguided to try and push this as something that is objectively true.

Good day!

Sneaky, make the edit to deliberately add an insult to your post after I've replied to it.

Pray tell me how Steady Focus is somehow better in any situations when Thrill of the Hunt is specifically recommended universally because of its versatility?

I consider your recommendations about as highly as I would those of my dog.

I didn't put the insult in, you did.  Notice the '".

Go back to MMOchamp to troll please.

True, except for..

Kargath, which requires frequent kiting. Will you always be picked? Nah.

Brackenspore, which requires constant target switching and frequent movement.

Tectus, which requires frequent movement and puts most of your damage in a near-constant movement phase.

Ko'ragh, which requires positioning, probably soaking (hunter derp) and proper spreading frequently.

Twin Ogron which requires you to avoid a host of mechanics.

Imperator Mar'gok which too requires you to avoid and deal with a bunch of mechanics, has transition phases with adds, etc.

Heroic or Norm

Kargath:  is practically standing still and shooting.

Brackenspore:  Very Stationary.  I never understood the ToTH = Better Target switching argument.  You have more than enough focus to use AS on anything you want after a FS.

Would it make it a little easier?  Maybe a little.

Ko'ragh:  Disengage + post haste = into position almost instantly.   Plenty of time to cast a FS when needed.

Twin:  The fire is so slow you can easily cast FS as it's coming at you. 

Imp:  The knockback wave and Void happen only in one phase.  The mines give you a good second to get away.  It's rare you get caught and have to move.

The fact of the matter is that toth isn't going to enable you to be much more mobile than FS in heroic.  Most of the time you don't need to move, and when you do it's in short bursts, which is why FS works at all.  What's more the odds you have no focus, need to move, and toth is actually up at that precise moment is rare. 

Imp is probably the most movement heavy fight.  I used SF+FS the other night, and was 19th in dmg taken, never hit a mine, never cancelled a FS midcast, and only found myself needing to move without focus like once. 

Both talents are viable choices, and each is better under certain circumstances. 

Edited by Minigun

So umm... how high my DPS must be before I can start using expressions "if you have a brain" and "fucking dick" on these forums? 

It's a genuine question. Last time when I hinted that some specs or talents might be better I got hounded like a bleeding deer.

Edited by Iridar

So umm... how high my DPS must be before I can start using expressions "if you have a brain" and "fucking dick" on these forums? 

It's a genuine question. Last time when I hinted that some specs or talents might be better I got hounded like a bleeding deer.

When you get to the point where you are well enough respected that you are asked to help write guides, then you can.  

I consider your recommendations about as highly as I would those of my dog.

I didn't put the insult in, you did.  Notice the '".

Go back to MMOchamp to troll please.

If you think he is trolling then you are mistaken.  As much as I don't like Azor as a person (you do come off as a bit too elitist sometimes) he more than knows what he is talking about, and I trust his recommendations.

• Like 1

When you get to the point where you are well enough respected that you are asked to help write guides, then you can.  

If you think he is trolling then you are mistaken.  As much as I don't like Azor as a person (you do come off as a bit too elitist sometimes) he more than knows what he is talking about, and I trust his recommendations.

Being a general douchebag is trolling.

He only thinks he is elitist.  His opinions are poorly thought out at best.  I have never seen him add anything to a discussion, but irrelevant vitriol.

The reason he is an arrogant douche is because he knows he can get away with it. 

Edited by Minigun

So the problem is not with what I say, but with what people think of me? Clearly no issues there rolleyes.gif

Being a general douchebag is trolling.

From wikipedia:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl//ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people

No, Azor is not being a troll, though he may be a douchebag at times.  That still does not discredit him any.

So the problem is not with what I say, but with what people think of me? Clearly no issues there rolleyes.gif

Pretty much.