FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

January 12 Patch Notes for Warlocks

Meh.

Devastation up to 15% from 5% for Destruction.  This is about a 0.7%-1.5% DPS gain.  If you have 1000 Crit, you'd gain about 100 Crit, which isn't even 1%.

Master Demonologist effects up 33% - this essentially rolls out to a 2% gain in caster form and about a 4% gain in Metamorphosis baseline and will scale up higher as you accumulate gear levels.  Should be up to a 10% gain with Mastery stacking Highmaul gear.

Neither change addresses the issues with the class.  BRF comes out soon and they should fix us now.  We got table crumbs.

EDIT: added in how Mastery scales up to a higher DPS gain

• Like 1

And before the questions come in, yes, Crit is BiS for Destruction, as it always was, but Mastery will still be dominant if you swap specs often.

No, this doesn't make Demonology easier to play.

Is that also taking into account the overall haste buff?

No, because Haste is meaningless for Destruction and minor for Demonology considering the relatively minor gain.  All it does is give you 1% of Haste for every 90 rating instead of 100.  So if you had 1000 Haste rating, you had 10% before - now you have 11.1%.  In BiS profiles for all of Mythic BRF, you can get to something like 1800-2000 Haste, so this was at most a 2% Haste changer, which isn't much at all.  It's more impactful to Affliction who gains an additional amount on top of that and actually values Haste more than other stats.

Do you guys not expect additional changes? (Rain of Fire)

I take it the crit increase doesn't solve the AoE problem for destruction?

Do you guys not expect additional changes? (Rain of Fire)

I take it the crit increase doesn't solve the AoE problem for destruction?

Not without an actual patch.  They acknowledged after the RoF nonsense that nerfs/buffs that change play style probably shouldn't be made via hotfixes and instead by made during a full patch.

0.6 - 1.5% for Destro.  2-3% for Demo.

Still haven't fixed a thing yet.

Try ~10-12% ST for demonology. The buff also changed dark soul from 22.5% to 30%.

5 words.

Get. Your. Demonology. Spec. Ready.

http://gyazo.com/25af3489b84a85ac3d827801ef446377

That's 685 bis highmaul gear. Demonology is running cataclysm, because if I showed you guys demonbolt you'd shit your pants.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm thinking Brackenspore and Imperator.

Reason being there is fast add switching. Spore shooter and Arcane abberation damage is great as destruction. If you need that as a guild, I'd probably still go destruction. But I dont really see a reason to spec affliction aside from maybe butcher on mythic

Let me make sure I understand this.  If my prepatch crit is 18.5%, when I login today (postpatch) as destruction will my crit now be 28.5%?  If so this is a huge boost in my opinion. Quicker ember regen and harder chaos bolts.

Edited by Ravanous

Let me make sure I understand this.  If my prepatch crit is 18.5%, when I login today (postpatch) as destruction will my crit now be 28.5%?  If so this is a huge boost in my opinion. Quicker ember regen and harder chaos bolts.

Its a bit different I believe. Before the buffs, Devastation gives you 5% from everything. So if you have an item with 100 crit on it devastation makes it so that you'll have 105 crit rating. (NOT TALKING ABOUT PERCENTAGES). 

The above was true before the buff. After the buff you get this:

Same item; 100 crit, but Devastation now gives you 15% crit from everything. Resulting in 115 crit rating. (AGAIN, NO PERCENTAGE HERE).

That is the basic idea about it. Devastation also counts towars your Crit buff which is standard 5%.

So suppose you have a total of 1000 crit rating before the buff; you'd get:

+50 crit from devastation (5%)

= 1050 crit

52,5 crit from raid buff (5%)

Total crit rating =1102,5 PRE-BUFFS

After the buff this changes and becomes;

Start (basic crit from items) 1000 crit rating

+150 crit from devastation (15%)

= 1150 crit rating

+57,5 crit from raid buff (5%)

Total crit rating = 1207,5 POST-BUFFS

You'll notice I haven't talked about the percentage of crit you have in total. I'm talking about crit rating in that regard. The percentage of crit is dependant on all of your stats combined.

For example: Lets say you have 100 crit, 10 mastery, 10 haste (I'll stop here to make it easy but in 'real-life' you would have to count all of your stats (Secondary I believe?) together.)

So in this example the sum of your stats is 120. That means your crit percentage equals 83,33% (100/(120/100))

That's how I believe it works. Also I could go ingame and check it, but I'll get distracted from my studies and thats not good.

Anyway hope that helps you understand, they didn't increase your total crit by 10%.

Edit: embarrassing typo

Edited by Deamux

That's not quite how math works, nor is it how Devastation works.  Pre-patch, you gained 5% more Critical Strike rating from all gear.  Post patch, you'll get 15% more Critical Strike rating.  If you were sitting at 18.5% Crit, you'll likely log in with about 19.5-20% Crit.

Let me guess that we should now play wit grimoire of supremacy instead of grimoire of synergy because of the mastery buff ?

Synergy scales higher than Supremacy does.  In recent sims including with and without tier, Synergy was always ahead of Supremacy by increasing amounts as you add targets.

I really do not understand why Demo got such a huge buff (like 10%?). To me that seems OPed (definitely at least compared to the other 2 specs if not all classes) with the mobility it can have and will be nerfed rather quickly. I got the impression that Blizzard were trying to keep the specs similar on ST so why the huge buff when I believe Destro was already tailing behind? Not to mention on cleave where Zagam did some sims for later on showing Destro again falling significantly behind the others. Ah well I actually like playing Destro least but these kind of decisions baffle me so can anyone shed some light?

Has anyone worked out how much Affliction gains with the haste changes? I guess with this some specs will benefit more than others but overall is it a significant buff to raid damage and therefore basically a raid nerf?

It's early days but even though Demo and Aff are the most similar in my opinion I wonder if Destro still has its place on Bracken and Imp/in Highmaul at all. 

I really do not understand why Demo got such a huge buff (like 10%?). To me that seems OPed (definitely at least compared to the other 2 specs if not all classes) with the mobility it can have and will be nerfed rather quickly. 

I'm fine with Demo getting a big buff. I was thinking about this the other day and wondering why Demo isn't "rewarded" for being a more complicated class to play. And frankly, I think a class that has you stance dance, build up Demonic Fury and look for windows of opportunity to launch 4 Demon Bolts while having Dark Soul + Trinkets up is worth a slight DPS reward.

Look. I love all 3 specs. I do. 

But Demo man. Oh god. That's the juice. That's the real Lock spec in my opinion. Nice to see it grab some headlines.  

And to answer your question, why did it get such a big buff? I don't know. Demo was only used on Tectus as the #1 spec to play on this fight. Otherwise you were playing Affliction and Destro for Highmaul.