FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
GammO

Warlock-Affliction: EVERYTHING

Hey Just been reading through this site everything to do with warlocks namely AFFLICTION and I must say the info here is well written and in depth. (highly reccomend reading through this site before posting)

Although I must point out that this is from a PVE standpoint and while a lot of it can be brought across a lot is still left in the air.

So without further adoo I have started this to compile all that is needed for one of the most complicated tho rewarding classes in the game.

the areas I wish to focus on are as follows:-

-Build

and everything regarding it inclusive of race, professions, glyphs etc.

Currently mastery is worth more then haste, hit apparantly is not as inportant to us as once DOTS are applied the ticks never miss (would love to hear peoples thoughts on this in PVP)

-macros

On my lock almost everything is macroed and for good reason they make for a lot less buttons which in PVP makes for more cc and more dps. Server is down atm when it is up I will Post my list. Macroes with a mod:shift for focus would be greatly appreciated.

-Strats

Everything regarding role in RBG`s, Arena, Teams, Duels etc.

-Links to guides/videos that are current.

An example of all this Is I am a Blood Elf afflock. My primary role in arena is is to tie up healer and one dps with cc (if in 3s or higher) while stacking dots and peeling for my team mates. I use succy and between her seduce and my fears I rip shreds through enemy dps/hps and if done correctly allow my team to pretty much free cast while still maintaining strong damage. I play with a priest and a mage.

In RBG`s same rule is generally applied tho across a broad array of circumstances.

Edited by GammO

What exactly are you looking for from a PvE perspective? I think I've covered all of that and more across the various guides here in the Warlock forums. Let me know if you have more specific PvE questions.

• Like 1

I think he means that the lock stuff on the site is from a PVE perspective.

GammO- if I may, why affliction for 3s and in what comp (unless you are getting to that, in which case disregard lol)

I have a few macros you may want:

#showtooltip

/cast [@mouseover,exists][]Malefic Grasp

/petdefensive

/cast [pet:Observer]Tongue Lash(Basic Attack)

this is a generic one you can use for any spell

#showtooltip

/stopcasting

/cast [modifier:shift, target=focus] SPELL; SPELL

This is an all in one pet ability macro for when you pull out dif pets (unless you are sac ing your pet) Shift for the focus target. if you are using grimore of supremacy you have to change the names

#showtooltip

/cast [mod:shift,target=focus,pet:felhunter]Spell Lock;[pet:felhunter]Spell Lock; [mod:shift,target=focus,pet:felguard]Axe Toss;[pet:felguard]Axe Toss; [mod:shift,target=focus,pet:succubus] Seduction;[pet:succubus]Seduction; [pet:imp]Flee

Edited by Lockdupagain
  • Like 1

What exactly are you looking for from a PvE perspective? I think I've covered all of that and more across the various guides here in the Warlock forums. Let me know if you have more specific PvE questions.

Zagam your guides have pretty much outlined everything PVE what i meant by up in the air was the PvP side but cheers tho buddy XD

I think he means that the lock stuff on the site is from a PVE perspective.

GammO- if I may, why affliction for 3s and in what comp (unless you are getting to that, in which case disregard lol)

I have a few macros you may want:

#showtooltip

/cast [@mouseover,exists][]Malefic Grasp

/petdefensive

/cast [pet:Observer]Tongue Lash(Basic Attack)

this is a generic one you can use for any spell

#showtooltip

/stopcasting

This is an all in one pet ability macro for when you pull out dif pets (unless you are sac ing your pet) Shift for the focus target. if you are using grimore of supremacy you have to change the names

#showtooltip

/cast [mod:shift,target=focus,pet:felhunter]Spell Lock;[pet:felhunter]Spell Lock; [mod:shift,target=focus,pet:felguard]Axe Toss;[pet:felguard]Axe Toss; [mod:shift,target=focus,pet:succubus] Seduction;[pet:succubus]Seduction; [pet:imp]Flee

Thats the part of the macro I was looking for woop XD

#showtooltip

/stopcasting

and as far as affliction i love my dots and soulburned curses for arena. Given the comp im playing in (3s) the mage Im playing with unloads good burst my job generally is to set that up and i find it easier to menuever around with DOTs and as always healers love UA but thats just my pref. XD

I've been playing Destruction with a Subtelty Rogue and a Resto Shaman. The bursty teams we faced were...

1) Feral Druid, Frost Mage, Frost DK - just survive by CC'ing Mage, endure DK + Druid, burn DK

2) Arms Warr, BM Hunter, Holy Paladin - wait for Stampede + Beastial Wrath, Fear Hunter, Shadowfury pets, Hex Warrior, push Pally to bubble, switch to Hunter until dead/Deterrence/bubble ends, then finish Paladin. As long as the Warrior isn't on your Warlock's nuts, you should be fine. If he is, use Frost Shock and Hex as much possible or get in a Sap/Blind

3) Arms Warr, BM Hunter, Resto Druid - same as above, just Fear Hunter and continue push on Druid

4) Enhance Shaman, Ele Shaman, Resto Shaman - we thought we'd win this one, but we didn't. This team hurts. They chain Hex'd our Shaman and burst down me. Healthstone, Unending Resolve, Shadow Bulwark, and Mortal Coil didn't save me from this onslaught. Still working on how to stop this one.

I hate the following as a Destruction Warlock:

Arms Warrior, Rogues, BM Hunters

I love seeing:

Boomkins, Demo Warlocks, Fire Mages, Resto Druids, any non BM Hunter, Disc Priests

I really don't know why Druids come into Arena as Boomchickens of massive derp. But I never mind the free Arena rating.

• Like 1

I haven't seen its viability (affliction) yet this season, but I see the benefits here. How are you countering burst from say KFC?

Pretty much what is said below

I've been playing Destruction with a Subtelty Rogue and a Resto Shaman. The bursty teams we faced were... 1) Feral Druid, Frost Mage, Frost DK - just survive by CC'ing Mage, endure DK + Druid, burn DK 2) Arms Warr, BM Hunter, Holy Paladin - wait for Stampede + Beastial Wrath, Fear Hunter, Shadowfury pets, Hex Warrior, push Pally to bubble, switch to Hunter until dead/Deterrence/bubble ends, then finish Paladin. As long as the Warrior isn't on your Warlock's nuts, you should be fine. If he is, use Frost Shock and Hex as much possible or get in a Sap/Blind 3) Arms Warr, BM Hunter, Resto Druid - same as above, just Fear Hunter and continue push on Druid 4) Enhance Shaman, Ele Shaman, Resto Shaman - we thought we'd win this one, but we didn't. This team hurts. They chain Hex'd our Shaman and burst down me. Healthstone, Unending Resolve, Shadow Bulwark, and Mortal Coil didn't save me from this onslaught. Still working on how to stop this one. I hate the following as a Destruction Warlock: Arms Warrior, Rogues, BM Hunters I love seeing: Boomkins, Demo Warlocks, Fire Mages, Resto Druids, any non BM Hunter, Disc Priests I really don't know why Druids come into Arena as Boomchickens of massive derp. But I never mind the free Arena rating.

warrior-hunter healer yea? it is map dependant tho generally the same rule applies and also the reason why i use succy as she breaks warriors rage.

Howl of terror is good for the zoo thats unleashed by the hunter but thats generally taken care of by the mage with that frost bomb or whatever it is they do.

Generally put without being map specific and since you asked i know u feel me on this LOL it seems to be all your fighting past a certain point. We aim to survive the initial burst pretty much what was said above tho playing with a mage usually allows me some breathing room. the major issue we have is if they zerg our heals at the start. usually try to get a demon door down but 5 sec cast is a bitch so dont rely on that tho if u can get it down its never an issue. That being said if u dont get it down and they do zerg the heals keep enemy in LOS switch succy to warrior cc hunter fear heals unload dps on hunter. when the zoo is gone switch succy back to heals. Tho win/lose its usually over by this point. our healer is a priest btw and he does pretty good dps himself which is different.

However still a tough comp to play and what i mean map dependant well for example i think we have only lost 1-2 games overall on the bridge another good thing about succy is her whiplash which given your position can make it extremly difficult for melee to do any real dmg with the rest of the cc+teleport dps etc.

dealing with the Zoo and gazilion minions that pop up every now and then it can be hard to find target with mouse at time so ive just set tab as target nearest enemy player(did this specifically fer the zoo rofl) and "Q" target nearest enemy.

Also forgot to add soulburned "Curse of enfeeblement" is the bomb 20% less dmg 10yd radius aswell as 50% increase in casting time IT ADDS UP!!

Edited by GammO

If your reading this Servers are down another 2hours for today :/ (7/11/2012)

One question i must ask tho and I spose this would be one of preference or fer theory crafters how important is the hit cap do u guys reckon in pvp?

what i mean by this is once your dots are applied thats it your dots don`t miss ticks and fer the spells that u would cast that would miss (annoying i know) would simply be recasted with not much of an issue? thats ok i feel from a dps stand point my issue is what off a cc standpoint?

Is the extra weight in other stats worth it? a few worthy locks have told me yes givent the mop mechanics I would like to here some solid info on this as i have not played with it all that much.

Edited by GammO