FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
bdisconzi

Resto Shaman needs help!

Hey guys! I need some help with my Resto Shamy. My heal is'nt any good comparing to the other healers of my group and i think that something is wrong.

Due to some problem blizzard doesnt show my armory but i can see my toon at askmrrobot so thats the only way you guys can see him.

So here is the armory from askmrrobot:

and here are some logs:

I would be very very gratefull if you guys could help me cause im really in need.

Thank you!

Sorry about the language, English is not my native language.

Use healing stream totem more. 5 casts on Butcher, could've been more therefore a lot of lost potential healing(no healing stream casts on Kargath!? That's not good, you really need to make sure you cast that on cooldown). Make sure Earth shield is *ALWAYS* active on the current tank. 

I probably wouldn't take Elemental Blast as your 90 talent, the other two are simply a lot better in terms of throughput, plus your not using Elemental Blast on cooldown, which means you're not getting the full effect, therefore effectively "wasting" a talent slot.

I would probably also use Unleash Life a lot more as it's a pretty powerful buff to your spells.

• Like 2

Woah. Healing Surge and Chain Heal are not your go to spells. These are massively situational and should only be used when required, they are both more effective when used on low health targets and are more 'Oh shit' spells than anything but don't take that for gospel, you need to be smart with your spells. Read them, read their mana costs and work out how your CD's and buffs effect them too.

Riptide uptime looks good, definitely your most effecient heal and always good to keep this up.

Healing Stream needs to be up all the time, as much as you can. Smart heals, that you have to do very little to get.

Healing Rain, make sure you are casting this in an area with as many people as possible for maximum return. Don't just spam it either, be smart about your use and placement.

Healing Wave is your friend, this and riptide should be two of your most pressed buttons in a fight. It's low mana cost and good heal amount make it perfect for surgical heals and 'topping up'. Using this and riptide effectively you shouldn't see yourself going OOM.

Also out of your 107 healing surge casts you only used UL 3 times. Use this as much as possible, works better if you are pre-emptive in your healing before spikes but can still be used to good effect if not. Try and use it with your CH/Healing surges in high burst damage situations. Combines with Healing wave for a big mana effecient heal too.

Your timings of casting stuff seem to be a bit generally off, you are doing a lot of over healing with big expensive spells. So you are wasting a lot of mana on doing nothing. It's not a HPS race, its about using your spells at the right time in the right place. This defines a good healer from a bad one, not how many heals they can put out per second.

Edited by Benn
  • Like 2

You seem to not realize one the most fundamental parts of Resto Healing: Tidal Waves. Outside of the healing Riptide and Chain Heal provide, the primary purpose of casting these spells is to trigger Tidal Waves which empowers your best overall spell, Healing Wave. Looking at your Imperator runs, you lean on Chain Heal far too much, and you are completely wasting the stacks of Tidal Waves the spell (and Riptide) are giving you. On your pulls, Tidal Waves had an 80% uptime and yet you only cast HW/HS a handful of times compared to Chain Heal which is your most used spell. This is an ENORMOUS reason why your heals aren't up to snuff.

After every riptide or chain heal, cast 2 Healing Waves in a row before casting another Riptide or Chain Heal. After the second Healing Wave, decide whether you should cast another riptide (on a new target) or a Chain Heal, dependant on raid damage.

Take a look at my logs to see the differences I'm referring to:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/3W6jJqvn4PRzpYyM/#fight=18&type=summary

Obviously our iLvls differ, but that's not the reason your healing is lacking.

• Like 1

You value Chain Heal far too highly, its really not as good as you might think it is. You also seem to not realize the additional benefit of using Chain Heal and Riptide: Tidal Waves. TW empowers your Healing Wave to be the amazingly effecient spell that it is. Additionally, you should also always opt to cast Healing Wave over Healing Surge except in dire, "oh shit" types of situations. Surge is mana intensive and is generally a crutch for healers with poorly planned rotations, or players that aren't predicting damage properly (or just poor gear, but I don't think thats your problem).

Your rotation should look like this:

Riptide->HW->HW->Riptide->HW->HW repeat.

You can substitute Chain Heal in for Riptide if Raid damage calls for it. Never overlap Riptides. Avoid casting Chain Heal and Riptide back-to-back. Avoid casting Chain Heal consecutively. Avoid casting Healing Wave without Tidal Wave stacks. Never cast Healing Surge without Tidal Waves.

Also make sure Earth Shield and Healing Stream totem have 100% uptime.

Edited by Doctafoz
  • Like 2

Hey guys, thanks about the tips! Im already changing my Healing style.thas my first time playing with a shaman at all. Please keep posting cause you are helping me alot.

At the end of the next week ill post the new logs with new Numbers.

Thanks so mutch and keep posting!

There's some good advice in this thread, which I'm very happy about, but I'd just like to remind everyone that it's easy to come across as too critical and/or nasty. Please continue to be considerate about the way you are writing comments to other people.

After every riptide or chain heal, cast 2 Healing Waves in a row before casting another Riptide or Chain Heal. After the second Healing Wave, decide whether you should cast another riptide (on a new target) or a Chain Heal, dependant on raid damage.

Small note about this; it's a good strategy for a long-term rotation but if you really need serious AoE healing for a short period then absolutely cast Chain Heal several times in a row. However, casting Chain Heal over and over is wrong in most situations.

Things which I noticed from a brief look at your logs are mostly what you need to cast more of:

• Ascendance
  • Elemental Blast (if you continue using it)
  • Healing Stream Totem
  • Riptide (should have 100% uptime or as close as possible)

You might find that WeakAuras will help you track these cooldowns, and you can find a page here on Icy Veins here or my own page on the topic here.

Hey guys, thanks about the tips! Im already changing my Healing style.thas my first time playing with a shaman at all. Please keep posting cause you are helping me alot.
At the end of the next week ill post the new logs with new Numbers.
Thanks so mutch and keep posting!

Remember to press "Like This" in the bottom right corner of every post which is helpful! This encourages whoever posted it to come back and help even more, to keep this forum a great resource for Shaman! :-)

Good luck!

• Like 2

I would like to pay your attention on something else: overhealing.

Try to check a bit more whom you are going to heal.

Like here: your Healing Wave was casted on 11 people - 2 of them were 100% overhealed, 3 - 60-65% overhealed, you overhealed yourself for 42%, etc... Single target casts shouldn't have this big overheal because you theoretically aim it to specific injured people. If they are on full HP, why to cast?

Same advice for the Healing Tide Totem.

Try to use it more and not to save for "oh, shit" situations (you will still have Ascendance in this case), because most likely that your 2-3 resto druids will cast Tranquility in the same time and you will be left with wasted HTT and 67% overheal, like here

Edited by Pandacho
  • Like 2

I just started playing resto shaman and I only did one heroic raid but It feels like you should use Healing rain a lot more on a butcher fight, you can fit every melee players inside which makes it very efficient.

Maybe someone more experienced can confirm.

• Like 1

Hi, bdisconzi!

Well, jokkoman is definitely right about Healing Rain in the Butcher fight. It have to be casted on melee on CD. All the fight you constantly have about 10 players (tanks+soacking groups) taking heavy damage there - plenty to heal.

Your HST totem uptime is low - 5 casts in 4:30 min - could be 9 and should be 8.

You took EB talent and didn't use it - only 2 casts during the fight.

I'm a bit surprised with Ancestral Swiftness talent here, I would take EotE for more Riptides and cast much more Chain Heals, judging on you taking High Tide talent (I don't see CBT or any elementals from PE in logs).

I looked into your Kargath kill too.

It's not much to heal on this fight, so I would recommend for CBT  - at least it distributes accumulated healing to injured people. 

Same about HST - 5 casts instead of 8.

You didn't use any of Tier 6 talents - no EB, elementals or Unleashed Fury in logs.

Same surprise about Ancestral Swiftness - do you feel like lacking haste?

Did you take High Tide and casted only 2 Chain Heals? It's a waste.

Not even one Healing Rain - no place to cast it on CD in this fight, but you definitely could throw a couple after 50% of Boss health - I watched the replay - there were a couple of times when all the melee took damage.

That's what I saw in your logs.

My main advise - think about your talent usage in different fights - you can benefit much more from different talent sets.

And if you already took a talent - use it smile.png

Edited by Pandacho
  • Like 2

(looking at Imp)

1. Using Unleash Life more, good.

2. healing stream totem, still needs work, you need to make sure you're casting this as close to on CD as possible, maybe make a weakauras or something similar to track it?

3. Earth Shield, I don't know how to tell the uptime of this on the AMR logging system(I can only barely analyze very basically on WCL, let alone something new and shiny, I assume it's your guild uploading this, maybe persuade whoever it is to upload to WCL because they're much easier to read and much more indepth to give help with) but judging by it's healing done, the uptime must be very low. Need to make sure you keep that up on a tank at all times, preferably the active tank, but if not just opt for the lower-geared tank if you can figure that out. Maybe a weakauras to track that one as well.

4. Healing stream. Used once, could've been used more.

5. Spirit Link totem...? You never seemed to cast it once, that is your most POWERFUL cooldown, use it! A good point on that fight is when everyones more-or-less stacked during the intermissions and all the adds are going off, combine spirit link + a tranq and boom everyone's at full health.

6. Overhealing, Your healing wave did a lot of overhealing, make sure you're casting it on targets that it's not gonna overheal too much, make sure at least 80% of the healing won't overheal. I do understand this isn't always easy and can be hard to do as HoTs and smart heals top people up, but keep an eye on who you're healing. Try not to use healing wave as a filler-spell if it's gonna overheal. Opt to do something else like casting some lightning bolts at the boss until damage ramps up again.
Sorry, that's kind of all the advice I'm able to give you due to my limited knowledge of resto shamans and inabililty to read AMR's logs properly.  But I hope this helps and others with more knowledge can build on what I've said to help further.

• Like 1

Heyas, bdisconzi.

Can I ask for the reason you not having a weapon enchant? At least it does not show in AMR (I did an update from Armory a couple of times).

• Like 1

Hi Bonalume.

As a fellow resto shaman who was struggling as well, just recently. The advise everyone has given here is pretty much spot on. Looking at the logs, you have definitely improved in spell usage. However , I would say your use of HST is still a bit low. I would recommend looking over Pandacho's thread on Weak Auras and Stoove's weak aura strings on his blog (stoove linked it on top). They have immensely helped me in keeping up with the cds. I also added some sound notification to some WAs that didnt have it just to keep myself aware of them even during overwhelming encounters like Twins....

Also, I would say, to keep running heroics and replace that main hand with better stats ...something with mastery on it. I understand that is hard....maybe you will get lucky on Butcher...I see you're doing normals...but keep doing LFR. even at 640, Butcher's tenderizer is way better. Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi thx about the advices!

Yeah im using the WA's like Stoove and Padancho explanied but im still getting used to shaman. Its my first time playing with the class.

About the main hand, i got one hero warforged last night from butcher \o/ :DDD

I'll keep posting my logs so you guys can see how I'm evolving and (if you want) keep giving me some tips ^^

Edited by bdisconzi

Hi thx about the advices!

Yeah im using the WA's like Stoove and Padancho explanied but im still getting used to shaman. Its my first time playing with the class.

About the main hand, i got one hero warforged last night from butcher \o/ :DDD

I'll keep posting my logs so you guys can see how I'm evolving and (if you want) keep giving me some tips ^^

AWESOME!

CONGRATULATIONS!! biggrin.png laugh.png wub.png

I'm  so happy for you! Can't wait to see your progress! 

• Like 1

Hey, bdisconzi.

Well, I pretty much forgot how to read AMR logs - didn't do this from their alpha. But I was able to get some stuff out of it :)

If we'll take a look at your Buffs section of the Butcher fight, we'll see that your Tidal Waves uptime is really low - only 77%. So I went to look at other fights and in all of them TW uptime is low  - around 75-85%, while it has to aim to 100%.

You can compare it to my logs:

Kargath

Butcher

Twins

Tidal Waves buff is gained from Riptide or Chain Heal casts and it gives you a possibility for the faster cast of HW or for additional 30% crit of HS. So it's vital to keep TW uptime close to 100% as much as possible. So try to pay attention to your Riptide casts.

Another suggestion: try to optimize your HTT, Ascendance and SLT usage. Treat them not only as a 'Oh, Shit' raid CD, but as a nice addition to your mana management. Try to use all these CDs as much as possible - no need to save them through all the fight waiting for lethal damage.

Make more use of Spirit Link Totem - it not only distributes HP evenly, but gives a nice damage reduction. You definitely can use it on Butcher's Enrage, Twins - Enfeebling Roar, Ko'ragh - killing adds, Imperator - small adds, etc...

As I see on the Butcher fight you took High Tide talent, but casted CH only 4 times. You should cast CH much more with HT or take EB in T6 if you have mana problems spamming CH. Or, you could take CBT if you not into Chain Healing.

Anyways, any talent you take - use it ^^

Actually I don't see CBT in any fight and no Elements, so I'll assume that you went full time with High Tide (sorry if I'm wrong) - in this case you should definitely use much more CH or change the talent if you feel uncomfortable with it.

Hope it helps :)

• Like 1

Actually I don't see CBT in any fight and no Elements, so I'll assume that you went full time with High Tide (sorry if I'm wrong) - in this case you should definitely use much more CH or change the talent if you feel uncomfortable with it.

Hope it helps smile.png

You are right. I'm going full time on High tide. Actually im still figuring out whitch talent and glyphs to use in certain encounters.