FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
lockish

can warlocks aoe?

Only cleave and multidot, if we don't talk Demo. That's fine though if we talk specific fights when you want exactly cleave/multidot. And there are bunch of those in Highmaul.

And yeah, if you ever feel like you don't have AoE, think about SPriests.

Edited by Paracel

For Destro I would suggest it also depends on the number of targets (and talents as Liquid pointed out) as to whether you can sustain FnB.

What are you trying to AoE Lockish? I do very well in dungeons and Highmaul trash (though it may just be that everyone else is slacking!). Yeah I know trash doesn't matter but it is still AoE. Was it a particular boss you are wondering about?

Aff, no. Destro, kind of. Demo, hell yes.

I'm kinda noobish with demo, how would I keep good aoe sustained over a few minutes. For example you have 3-4 mobs that will survive for a min or 2.

I assume you apply dots, hog and wrathstorm. But wrathstorm has a long cd so once that is done I just use hellfire?

Generally on something like a Highmaul trash pack I will toss a corruption or two while the tanks run in, HoG, corruption 3 more, HoG, then Demo for Cata to put up dooms.  Your HoG/Corruptions will give you enough fury to tab around ToC to keep your Corruptions rolling.  I use Immo Aura when my fury allows it but prio on ToC so my corruptions don't drop off.

I am unsure if recent buffs makes CW better for sustained, certainly for burst though.

I've been mainly aff and it's been serving me well. Even multi-dotting mobs like tectus.  I have to learn demo I have already accepted this but we have 2 shammies and a warrior who seem to be doing just fine.  

I'm talking about Koragh, tectus, brakenspore. 

I am still in heroic and not hugely experienced so the comments I make refer to that level (and normal).

Well Brackenspore has no real AoE targets; It has cleaving and adds though. Do play Destro as well? I can do about more 20% damage to the adds with Destro over Affliction and get a very similar overall damage (pre hotfixes anyhow, I've pretty much been Demo since). I believe as Aff fully dot the big adds, if the Sporeshooters do live a certain amount of time throw a UA on them and remember to drain things for shards. 

Tectus I will skip as I don't have that much experience as Aff there. Pre-hotfix I was only about 3k under Demo but that just says how bad I play the latter! We do the 4 motes only thing though.  

For Ko'ragh my guild has designated AoE'ers and thats not me. I tend to be the first soaker and hence more focused on that. When I have played Aff there I stay full time on the boss and ignore adds. As Demo I think that I would like add damage there but will have to see if I am picked. 

So all in all my post was rather useless for you! 

I know I kinda posted such a question a while back on some other thread BUT ... do you find destro's AOE viable for challenge modes ? and if so you reckon charred remains is viable for a great deal of mobs like 5+ ?

or one should simply go with sac, MF & cataclysm ?

Edited by vladMTL

Depends what you need. Charred Remains is great for sustained AoE or for instances where the pulls come in groups of 4 to 5. The downside is that it lacks ST.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for Demo AOE we generally want to talent Cata instead of Demon Bolt, and use it in Metamorphosis to quickly cast Doom on all of the targets (assuming the group has enough health to make Doom worth it), Wrathstorm, HoG x2, Corruption, and then Immolation Aura (if 4+ targets) while casting Soul Fire on individual targets? 

I'm not used to speccing Cata with Demo and have been struggling with nailing the rotation on the Tectus fight.  For that fight I'm standing with the other casters and skipping Immo Aura, but have been opening on each split (and the part with the adds in phase 1) with HoG + Wrathstorm, Cata in Meta to Doom everything, HoG, Corruption on everything, HoG when its CD is up, and then back into Meta, popping KJC & DS and spamming Soul Fire (when I have MC procs) and ToC (as needed on each target to refresh corruption).

... Or at least that's what I try to do before all hell breaks loose.  I'm used to using AD & Demon Bolt, and spending less than 10 seconds in metamorphosis at a time, so it's a change. 

I would like to know, how long would an enemy generally have to survive to make putting doom up with cata rather than corruption worth it?

Yeah still struggling with the Cata play in Demo as well so don't give up Zinthar. I gather the only fight we want Cata is on Tectus rather than all AoE but I guess it may depend on your role. 

Kadill, I gather that Doom is worth it if it will tick once. So that is 15 seconds minus a tiny bit depending on your haste. 

Destros AOE with CR is nasty....when you have 4+ targets that can sustain the AOE ember usage, I believe it Sims higher than demo AOE and Cata, however the ramp up time is huge and you need a lot of targets preferably 5+....

Unfortunately demo doesn't have one.

what would you recommend then for some 3-5 targets dmg wise in CM for example ? destro with charred remains you reckon it'll be viable ?

to properly state my situation, i suck at demo, heck why not say it, i even hate it enough to avoid it, i don't feel comfortable around it yet would be lovely to do some CMs despite the fact that the rewards are by far not worth it imo compared to what Pandaria had to offer

so dps on bosses is ok yet dps on trash lacks to be desired to say the least, would appreciate any advice ! thank you !

Edited by vladMTL

what would you recommend then for some 3-5 targets dmg wise in CM for example ? destro with charred remains you reckon it'll be viable ? to properly state my situation, i suck at demo, heck why not say it, i even hate it enough to avoid it, i don't feel comfortable around it yet would be lovely to do some CMs despite the fact that the rewards are by far not worth it imo compared to what Pandaria had to offer so dps on bosses is ok yet dps on trash lacks to be desired to say the least, would appreciate any advice ! thank you !

Not sure what the problem is tbh. If you don't want to play demo, don't play demo. It is in no way mandatory and Destruction is still a solid spec.

Charred remains isn't great but has its uses.

well the problem is in Challenge Modes you need to have viable specs for both trash and bosses and since Blizzard decided we need to swap things in order to do such things smile.png I'd love some advices

on bosses whatever spec I play ( be it destro or aff ) is absolutely NP but since aff is shit for AOE was wondering if you guys consider / tried destro as a trash spec for CMs and if so what exactly would you recommend to pick as talents and for what situations ... for multiple targets i saw charred remains is ok not great but SEEMS ok 

any advice would be greatly appreciated

thank you 

Edited by vladMTL

well the problem is in Challenge Modes you need to have viable specs for both trash and bosses and since Blizzard decided we need to swap things in order to do such things smile.png I'd love some advices

on bosses whatever spec I play ( be it destro or aff ) is absolutely NP but since aff is shit for AOE was wondering if you guys consider / tried destro as a trash spec for CMs and if so what exactly would you recommend to pick as talents and for what situations ... for multiple targets i saw charred remains is ok not great but SEEMS ok 

any advice would be greatly appreciated

thank you 

Never really did CMs, but Cataclysm is an allstar around here, decent for both st and AoE.

I would go Demo with Cata, AoE everything and still have somewhat decent singletarget damage.

MF isn't awesome for destro. I'd use AD with CR, having DS glyphed for a ton of buffed FnB'ed CBs, or just go Cata.

But again, it's only a suggestion. I've never ever really ran CMs.

If I had to run CMs I would go with this spec:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#zoyxxM

You are swimming in shards in heroics anyway from all the shadowburn opportunities.  Cataclysm is also hilariously strong and if you need boss dps just save up 4 embers for the pull and use dark soul + CC on the opener, boss won't live long and you will spike over 40k single target.