FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Pejego

Frost mage dps problem

Hey guys having some trouble with my Mage, it feels like im not pushing it to the limit.

Basically the problem is, in my guild we got 2 mages at the same ilvl.

Heres my armory

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/shattered-hand/Pejego/advanced

Heres his armory

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/shattered-hand/Wast%C3%AAd/advanced

Im using the rotation that icyvains has posted in their frost guide.

This guy, and other with equal or less gear than me outpreform me and i wonder why.

Here's me fighting the first boss in LFR MSV (70-78k dps)

Here's me fighting the second boss in LFR MSV (40-45k dps)

Here's the log from the second.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/lbrky0m95j20y9pt/details/22/

Can you guys please tell my why im gettin outpreformed so much?

I'm sure there are more experienced mages than I, however at first glance. 1. I would use PoM over scorch 2. I would use NEther Tempest over frost bomb 3. I would use Innovocation over Rune of Power. see. you stack Haste but why you ask... because among other things is that it is tied to Innvocaction by lowering its cast time... you keep up your buff. The other is that you are not casting Freeze nearly enough ( like every Cool down).. that procs fingers! And watching your video , you are no gettin enough figers procs. I would use Mage Nuggests and show the buff timer for Innvocation. The other Looks like you have Icy Veins tied to Alter time ... which is a good thing. If you look at Simulationcraft... Fire slighlty outpreforms frost by just a bit...However... Fire is streaky and if your friend got lucky with a ton of crits.

Just some initial thoughts

Edited by dragonbone

You don't really give much info tbh. Is your other mage fire? Frost? What fights is he out performing you on? He's not in the logs you linked, unless I missed it, so it is even harder to compare you two.

Your gems are weird. What are you going for there? You say you use icyveins rotation, but did you ignore the other stuff? Go to askmrrobot and get a better idea of gems/enchants.

In terms of skills, I didn't watch your video, because as I said, you want to compare two mages but didn't even show us what the other mage is doing. But here are some obvious things:

Invocation >> RoP. Why? 1) You have a lot of haste as frost, shortening the cast time. 2) RoP involves a new rune every time you have to move. In the early LFR fights this can be quite regular (Amethyst/cobalt/jasper cause you to dodge things on 1st boss; repositioning for flames/epicentre/P3 Feng; etc).

Ice lance + FoF - on your logs you got 43 FoF procs and cast ice lance 45 times. Improve that - don't waste GCDs on non-FoF Ice Lance. Use Freeze on your water elemental for additional FoF procs.

Brain freeze + FFB - Same as above. 30 Brain Freeze procs for 29 FFB casts - hit every FFB cast!

Fight specifics - A few of your FFB and Ice Lance procs actually missed the boss, but you are hit capped. The reason for this is probably in Phase 1 during Epicentre you get +75% miss chance. Be sure not to waste procs/CDs during this cast.

Fix these basic things and give some more information and then we can properly compare you with the other mage.

@Dragonbone thx

@Midgettoes

My gems a veird atm cause of moneytouble (lame i know). Going to fix it this week.

I wasen't looking to compare myself with Wasted (fire), i was just wondering if i do anything drastically wrong.

The log were from a lfr i did just to get some stats, same as video.

Rop before invocation i switched to becuz he had that, but as you say, i got alot more haste.

And as of epicentre i never did this boss in normal mode for some reason (usually run out early on raidnights cause of work) so i never looked in to the mecanics.

I'll try tape and get logs from tonights guildrun at last two bosses and get back here!

Thank you for your time!

Your gemming is indeed a bit strange, but I'll assume that it is probably meant to be a compromise between Fire and Frost stat priorities.

Here are a few things I've noticed regarding spell usage.

• spell_mage_frostbomb.jpgFrost Bomb probably has an 8-second cooldown for you, given your spell haste. In a 391-second fight, you only cast is 27 times when you could have used it 48 times easily. You may have lost up to 1M damage from this.
  • spell_frost_coldhearted.jpgIcy Veins is used only twice when you could have used it three times.
Now, I will take a look at the time you spent casting:In total, it amounts to about 334 seconds spent casting, out of 391 seconds of effective fight. Note that the 334 second figure is very much inflated. I did not take into account the fact that you spent time benefitting from Bloodlust and Icy Veins during the fight, which temporarily made you cast spells even faster. The proper amount of time you spent casting is probably closer to 320 seconds. I'll let you imagine how much more damage you could have done if you had really been casting all the time ;)
  • Like 1

@Dragonbone thx

@Midgettoes

My gems a veird atm cause of moneytouble (lame i know). Going to fix it this week.

I wasen't looking to compare myself with Wasted (fire), i was just wondering if i do anything drastically wrong.

The log were from a lfr i did just to get some stats, same as video.

Rop before invocation i switched to becuz he had that, but as you say, i got alot more haste.

And as of epicentre i never did this boss in normal mode for some reason (usually run out early on raidnights cause of work) so i never looked in to the mecanics.

I'll try tape and get logs from tonights guildrun at last two bosses and get back here!

Thank you for your time!

Apologies if I came off a bit harsh, but reading your post I thought you were after a comparison while providing near to no data.

All the things I mentioned still stand, and as Damien has mentioned, you need to get your casting uptime increased. A lot of that will come down to knowing fight mechanics and when you can cast - and how to position yourself quickly in the right place.

Other than that, fire out performs frost in the early raids so far (not by a huge margin, but it is there). Just a quick glance at World of Logs will confirm that to you. I'm not saying change your spec, I'm just mentioning you probably won't be pushing top dps right now, and this may be what you were referring to in your initial post.

Hello,

I have a number of issues with my fire mage, but let me ask a quick question. Is there a way to shorten the Combustion CD. I have switched from

LB to Nether Tempest and from Scorch to POM. And it seems that my Combustion CD is longer. Is this possible?

Blondzilla

Hello,

I have a number of issues with my fire mage, but let me ask a quick question. Is there a way to shorten the Combustion CD. I have switched from

LB to Nether Tempest and from Scorch to POM. And it seems that my Combustion CD is longer. Is this possible?

Blondzilla

The Glyph of Combustion alters its cooldown.

~Sage