LoN Rapid Fire Demon Hunter BiS Gear, Gems, and Paragon Points
Below, we detail the items and gems that you should use for your LoN Rapid Fire Demon Hunter in Diablo 3 and why. We also list your paragon points and Kanai's Cube items. Updated for patch 2.6.5 and Season 17.
1. Best in Slot Gear and Alternatives
As this is a Legacy of Nightmares set spec, the rest of your gear slots will be comprised entirely of legendary items. As a rule of thumb, focus on synergistic stats like Crit Chance and Damage, Area Damage, and Rapid Fire skill %, and remember the rings' requirements for ancient items, as well as their restriction on other set bonuses. You can temporarily run individual set pieces with beneficial stats, as long as they do not form any set bonus. You will also be striving to reach a 37% CDR breakpoint for permanent uptime of Vengeance, attainable from Paragon points, Flawless Royal Diamond in the helm and 3 other items with max CDR rolls, distributed as you see fit (i.e. on shoulders, gloves and one ring).
The Legacy of Nightmares set allows you to run any legendary item combination while not losing out on the damage amplification and reduction associated with the traditional 6-piece sets. As long as the two rings — The Wailing Host and Litany of the Undaunted — are the only active set bonus you have equipped, every Ancient item will greatly increase your damage dealt and reduce damage taken. In the stats of the rings, try to obtain a combination of Crit Stats, Area Damage and Cooldown Reduction. Rounding out the jewelry, a nicely rolled Hellfire Amulet of Dexterity can bring an extra, valuable passive to the build — either the cheat death of Awareness, the DPS boost of Archery, or one of the basic recommendations from the skill page: Ambush, Cull the Weak, Numbing Traps, or Grenadier.
Most of your armor slots can be roughly split into three categories: Fire elemental damage items, Rapid Fire-boosting damage items and Utility items.
- Cindercoat, Magefist and Swamp Land Waders are able to bring up to 20% Fire elemental damage each, greatly amplifying your main damage dealer. While Magefist is a straightforward elemental DPS item, Cindercoat also brings Resource Cost Reduction value to the build, which brings the initial activation cost of Rapid Fire down and allows you to maintain the cubed Aquila Cuirass bonus. Swamp Land Waders provide an elemental damage increase, which is unique for the slot — but you should note that they need to be gambled on a Witch Doctor alt, as they are a class-specific item for WDs.
- To maximize the damage of Rapid Fire, you will be using both Mantle of Channeling and Hellcat Waistguard. The inclusion of Mantle of Channeling is pretty self-explanatory, since your main damage dealer is a channeled skill, and you can use every boost of damage and toughness you can get. Hellcat Waistguard is more mechanically complex; it has an unlisted 50% chance to proc, irrespective of the skill used or unique affix rolled. The belt increases the number of times grenades "bounce" and deal damage, counting the initial impact as the first bounce (and thus increasing your burst from the get-go). Notably, the final burst is 800% of the base damage, which somewhat lessens the impact of worse (less bounces) belts, and can even make them preferable for speedfarming to reduce the time between a shot and the final burst. This is especially important considering that grenades are very likely to bounce outside of a fight, or even outright disappear upon collision with a wall or a similar object. Nevertheless, for endgame pushing you will be looking for ideal circumstances — open area rifts, where the perfect 5-bounce Hellcat Waistguard will shine.
- You will round out your items with some utility extras. Exclusive to the Act 2 bounty cache, Illusory Boots will bring vital mobility to the build, which is rather slow and immobile compared to DH standards; the removal of enemy collision that these boots provide will be indispensable when positioning for optimal damage. You have some flexibility in your wrist slot; the general recommendation are Nemesis Bracers, which will spawn you an extra elite at every Pylon pickup, but you have a viable alternative in the face of Strongarm Bracers. The latter will bring extra damage to the build whenever you trigger a knockback effect, which can be procced at a reasonable rate via a worn The Ess of Johan in place of the Hellfire. You can even go the Strongarm route, which is when you simply slot The Ess of Johan on your follower.
The ideal weapon for the build is the one-handed crossbow Dawn — with Vengeance being a universally desired buff, reducing its cooldown up to 65% and achieving permanent uptime through gear is an opportunity you cannot pass lightly. Its companion will be the dedicated Rapid Fire quiver Sin Seekers, which has been reworked to include a massive skill damage buff on top of its longtime legendary power, the removal of the skill's channeling cost.
1.1. Notes for Season 17
Since Season 17 characters obtain the powers of the Legacy of Nightmares set passively without needing to wear the two rings, you can dedicate your jewelry to other powerful legendaries. In the case of the LoN Rapid Fire DH, you will be wearing your two best rolled rings and cubing the third between Convention of Elements, Unity, and Elusive Ring. Both Unity and Elusive Ring provide damage reduction through different conditions. Unity will cut incoming damage in half when paired with another on the follower, along with an immortality relic for him (i.e. Enchanting Favor). Elusive Ring is another massive damage reduction source, as long as you remember to use Shadow Power at least once every 8 seconds. Convention of Elements simply provides a massive damage increase during the Fire cycle of its rotation.
2. Paragon Points
Bane of the Trapped is a potent source of additional damage, as it is its own multiplier in your total damage calculation. The gem will be procced by Zei's Stone of Vengeance, Thrill of the Hunt, crowd control secondary stats on your gear (Slow %, Freeze %), or Wind Chill in speedfarming.
Introduced in Season 4, Bane of the Stricken occupies a firm spot in your jewelry sockets during highest end progression. Building up your damage multiplicatively in prolonged fights and with a level 25 bonus specifically targeting Rift Guardians, this gem is designed to assist AoE heavy builds in 1v1 combat.
You have some flexibility in your final legendary gem slot; our general recommendation is to use Pain Enhancer, as it will give you the best results in optimal GRs, where massive pulls of trash enemies will skyrocket your channeling and area damage benefits. Alternatively, you can slot the generic attack speed and scaling dodge chance increase of Gogok of Swiftness here, or even go the full safety route with Esoteric Alteration.
|Torso and Pants|
4. Kanai's Cube
Aquila Cuirass will halve incoming damage as long as Hatred does not dip below 90% of its reserve, which is relatively easy to maintain with the combination of Sin Seekers (for the channel cost of Rapid Fire) and Cindercoat (for the activation cost).
Your jewelry Cube slot is best filled by Elusive Ring, which greatly reduces incoming damage as long as you remember to use Shadow Power at least once every 8 seconds; in a facetanking build like the LoN Rapid Fire DH, this comes almost naturally from gameplay.
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our Follower Guide, which contains detailed advice for choosing the skills and the gear of your follower.
- 16 May 2019: Guide added.
- Area damage
- LoN HotA Barbarian (Patch 2.6.5)
- Rolled Primal Ancient Sacred Harvester
- Generator Monk (Patch 2.6.4)
- Leapquake Barbarian (Patch 2.6.4)
- Sentry Demon Hunter (Patch 2.6.4)
- UE Multishot Demon Hunter (Patch 2.6.4)
- LoN Blessed Shield Crusader (Patch 2.6.5)