FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Vuoq

Frost 2h Gemming

One thing to be noted about stat weights in Simulation Craft. Basically the way it calculates them is it adds 1000 of a stat (or 300 in the case of weapon DPS) and looks at the DPS difference. 1000 of a stat might be too high or too low for getting accurate numbers in your current gear, and unrealistic at some times. For example you probably aren't able to gain 1000 haste without losing another stat. Which is why there is also reforge plots and dps per stat increase charts. You can make it as ungodly complex as you want to, which is one of the fun parts of theory crafting. The reforge plots will tell you if reforging a specific stat into another stat will increase or decrease dps. It's a bit more realistic than the simple calculation for stat weights, but it takes A LOT more sim time.

An interesting story is when I was having issues with DW frost sometimes saying haste was better and sometimes mastery (both were really close in all sims) but then I did a reforge plot, and it told me reforging mastery into haste AND reforging haste into mastery increased my DPS, and it was true in the sim (I tested by reforging and re-summing) I can't explain why really, but it's just how it worked.

Also I always run 50k iterations, most people should be able to do this feasibly as long as you have a quad core CPU and crank the CPU threads (set in the options) to 4-8, depending on if you have hyper threading or not. There's actually a custom setting you can use if you have more than 8 threads... useful if you happen to have 24 core servers that you can play with :)

Lastly, when it comes down to it, you're probably only altering your DPS by a tiny amount when stat weights are so close. So like the original question in this tread asks, Str vs haste, if you went straight str or split str/haste it's going to affect your DPS by less than .5%