FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Peelyon

Guides you'd love to see!

Well then, need to find someone willing to write proper guides for free. Posted Image I definitely would be interested in writing a Resto Shaman one.

I would definitely like to see some pvp guides and profession guides. Also some more class leveling guides as well. The guide I used to lvl my Spriest was pretty thorough and well put together. Keep up the good work Icy-veins!!

I would definitely like to see some pvp guides and profession guides. Also some more class leveling guides as well. The guide I used to lvl my Spriest was pretty thorough and well put together. Keep up the good work Icy-veins!!

We are planning profession guides as well. Most likely in the form of detailed posts in a "Profession" subsection. The question is whether we will have enough time to do them before Mists of Pandaria hit the shelves ;)

More leveling guides are also planned (updated or MoP, that goes without saying).

I would love to have the deep study in PVP guide ! The both admins , Vlad and Damian [hardworkers] i support u people to reconsider my point and go for it ! Because, most people get the ideas of pve from other sites, but about PVP, nothing correct is writen i suppose !

Because, most people get the ideas of pve from other sites

I'm not so sure about that. I've actually given up on Elitist Jerks and Tankspot because the guides here are easier to understand and read.

• Like 1

Exactly the same. I've never been a big fan of elitist jerks because I hate the way the forums are formated, it gives me a head-ache just looking at the things.

I like how it has been sectioned here making it much easier to follow. Class guides are easy and I like how the specs are done - the only one I don't follow 100% for talents is the hunter & that is because there is a few things that I like to change just to make my build slightly more appropriate for my raid group & I know the class well enough to do that. Before this site had one I used to use wowpopular which was ok but did require considerably more thinking and effort!

Since this site launched I have been using it for RL because I find it much easier to follow than tankspot or learn to raid (which I like but the guys voice is killer). I prefer reading things than watching videos personally and I love the little diagrams. I also like the detail it goes into in regards to what particular classes can bring to the fight.

• Like 3

Let's be clear, the majority of websites just aren't user friendly or concise enough for the average player to just glance at.

Recently I had to pretend to spec pve on my rogue to complete the stealth quest and boss for the first set of legendary daggers. Never having played pve on the rogue I spent 10minutes reading through the combat guide on here, quickly made a spec, threwon the rotation spells onto my main cast bar, read up on the cool downs and hey presto I was hitting 20k in pvp gear with 5% hit rating.

It's the fact you can trust the information and it's broken down easily enough for players to get what they want quickly. Any future guides just need to follow the same format. Whenever any guildy asks a question about stats gems reforging there's only one answer now and that's go to Icy Veins.

In terms of raid guides having the ability to have a clear written guide is brilliant for raid leaders like myself. Videos only go so far, and are never tailored to your group size or raid set up.

Hopefully you guys can do similar pvp guides, and professions and just keep it all ticking over!

• Like 1

In terms of raid guides having the ability to have a clear written guide is brilliant for raid leaders like myself. Videos only go so far, and are never tailored to your group size or raid set up.

The main problem with videos is that you can't update them. On Youtube, the only solution is to upload a new video and delete the old one, losing all the search rankings, views, and comments.

I like the style of your guides for both both class and raid : they are consistent in both content and layout.

They have enough information to teach you how to play well without having all of the math and complex rotation tweaks ... so i refer people to them ... since i find most people find the elitist jerks class guides too technical.

I think the goal of a pvp guide should be to be introductory with decryption of main ablities ... maintain a simple consistent style ... may not be perfect play stile but means you won't suck

• Like 2

I do seriously think we need to be working on an android app... I was out last night & unable to check the forums... then this morning at the bf's couldn't check it again... serious withdrawl dudes it's not good!

An android app would be smart, but until then web browsing on my phone / iPad is ok. They probably don't have a connection up in Scotland though! ;)

Oi! Cheeky... Aye the problem isn't the country, it is parents. My folks are with talk talk = shockingly bad wifi. My bf's folks are with talk talk (same exchange) = shocking bad wifi. I just need to get a proper job so I can get my own place and DECENT internet. Or my bf needs to actually buy a flat so he can get proper internet, which I can then steal.

In summary talk talk suck.

A chatbox was mentioned somewhere and this is something we won't do because, unfortunately, it is a real resource sink for the server.

A small update on the Midsummer Fire Festival, the guide is almost ready and will be released well before the event ;)

• Like 1

Whats wrong with default android browsers?

Mine doesn't load this site properly - you can see the banners etc but not the actual forums. Rather annoying.

Or is it more of a general statement complaining about the general ineffectiveness of android browsers? Posted Image

Edited by Alierya

Can anyone point me to a World of Logs guide. I'm either being lazy, dumb or a combination of both trying to get to grips with it all. Over the years we've rarely used it and I want to get used to it before MoP hits. I think for first time users it's a really hectic way of looking at things, but if someone could give me a few tips, or point me in the direction of a guide I would be very grateful.

Always left it up to others to sort out before now but thing I better get used to using it even if it's just for my own personal logs.

Edited by Peelyon

It isn't a nice thing to use at first, the site navigation is terrible. Before you can use it for anything meaningful you'll need to register your guild and someone needs to upload the data. Once you have that in order it is reasonably easy to interpret and just requires a bit of working through.

This may help though the guys voice is horrendous.

http://pwnwear.com/forum/how-use-world-logs-t899.html

• Like 1

It isn't a nice thing to use at first, the site navigation is terrible. Before you can use it for anything meaningful you'll need to register your guild and someone needs to upload the data. Once you have that in order it is reasonably easy to interpret and just requires a bit of working through.

This may help though the guys voice is horrendous.

http://pwnwear.com/f...-logs-t899.html

Cheers I'll check it out in a lil bit. Weve had 3-4 guildies do the legwork over the years but noone to interpret the results properly. I think its the navigation and layout etc that puts people off! Hopefully I can get control of the guild uploads again. :)

I think World of Logs is a wonderful tool. We use it extensively when writing class guides or when we need to verify people's claims on some encounters. I agree that the site navigation is terrible and it's very hard to get a good grip of what's going on.

What exactly would you be interested in seeing in a WoL guide?

• Getting started - how to register your guild, how to upload data etc
  • Interpreting results - tanks, healers, dps. Fight break down, performance vrs other guild members, performance vrs class & spec performance. You could have little example graphs with some arrows...
  • How to pull up results - so what do you click on to bring up data for dps, how do you see it per boss, how do you include certan perameters
Perhaps also something for the advanced user to get the most out of the tool.
  • Like 1

I think World of Logs is a wonderful tool. We use it extensively when writing class guides or when we need to verify people's claims on some encounters. I agree that the site navigation is terrible and it's very hard to get a good grip of what's going on.

WoL for dummies. I just find it a really unfriendly website for people who are told to "check logs" etc. In simple terms it seems to be exactly the opposite of what you guys to here. Pretty much everything that Alierya has said above really. A simple breakdown on how to interpret the results on a basic level and how to compare your results to someone elses.

Im assuming that the more you use it the more you become familiar with it all but anything to get people started would be great!