FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Liquidsteel

The Help My DPS Thread

Hello everyone,

i would like to ask to get some help to improve my perf.% at NH HC. Most of my parses are in the green/blue area but i want to get it to the blue/purple area, so i need some tipps of you because, more eyes can see more mistakes i guess :-)

Arsenal - Laneana / 896

Logs from NH HC

Guldan HC

All i can see actually is that sometimes i miss the PrePots and cast some DoTs to often.

Thanks for any advice.

Cya

Edited by Devkarin

4 hours ago, Devkarin said:

Hello everyone,

i would like to ask to get some help to improve my perf.% at NH HC. Most of my parses are in the green/blue area but i want to get it to the blue/purple area, so i need some tipps of you because, more eyes can see more mistakes i guess :-)

Arsenal - Laneana / 896

Logs from NH HC

Guldan HC

All i can see actually is that sometimes i miss the PrePots and cast some DoTs to often.

Thanks for any advice.

Cya

Check out the Casts tab.

The biggest thing for MG affy will always be the drain cycle. 2-3 UAs (ideally but more if you have to) and drain straight away until they are fully gone so you want at least 2 Drain Souls plus more for any Fatal Echo procs. You don't seem to be double draining as much as you should during this time but yes sometimes mechanics get in the way. Overall, your Drain uptime looks pretty good but during UA is the most important.

You're aware of Preciousyipz's videos right? 

Secondly, try and watch Agony a little better/get some screaming Weak Aura. Your uptime is pretty good overall but sometimes it drops and you will get punished for that. 

Have you ever played with WiA? You may find better results with that on Botanist and any fight where you have to move a lot.

I haven't looked too deeply but are you always tagging all adds? For example on Star Augur for the last 20ish% I always have full WoC uptime but you didn't. Overall you do seem to tag though. 

What I will say is you tend to have drain cycles a lot more often than I do and yes refresh your dots more. As to who is better with this I actually have no clue and you do UA of 2 dumps which gets all ticks while I normally end up with 3 (though I have the belt). However, you do seem to be pretty shard starved though you have the helm. Have you considered Soul Effigy? I would see if people can help you in Discord further with your cycles as yes our rotations seem quite different on this.   

Good luck. Sorry I can't help more but Affy and Affy logs are still pretty new to me.

Edited by spikeysquad

Hello everyone,

I would like to get some help in improving my dps as a Destruction warlock as I bearly scrape by doing 450k dps at any given point.  Some boss's are obv better than others for my spec and thats understandable but I feel that given me being 892 ilvl and having most of the BiS gear I should be pulling more dps at boss fights in normal/heroic NH.

Below you can find Links to my armory & tonight's logs for normal Nh.  As you will prob see I am missing a few enchs and gems due to recent gear upgrades.  From the logs I can see that I am not using my pre-pots along with not using runes which might affect my overall dps output.  But as a standard I see other class's with similar ilvl doing double what I do which atm makes me look bad in heroic runs.

Armory - Déimús

My logs

Full raid report

Thanks in advance and any help is appreciated.

11 hours ago, smokingxaces said:

Hello everyone,

I would like to get some help in improving my dps as a Destruction warlock as I bearly scrape by doing 450k dps at any given point.  Some boss's are obv better than others for my spec and thats understandable but I feel that given me being 892 ilvl and having most of the BiS gear I should be pulling more dps at boss fights in normal/heroic NH.

Below you can find Links to my armory & tonight's logs for normal Nh.  As you will prob see I am missing a few enchs and gems due to recent gear upgrades.  From the logs I can see that I am not using my pre-pots along with not using runes which might affect my overall dps output.  But as a standard I see other class's with similar ilvl doing double what I do which atm makes me look bad in heroic runs.

Armory - Déimús

My logs

Full raid report

Thanks in advance and any help is appreciated.

Hey Smoking,

You need to upload logs to https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ if you want the majority of people to be able to read them in depth.

Spikey

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smokingxaces said:

Sorry about that had no idea.  Here is the upload, hope it helps.

No problem. I will not have time today now to have a proper look though someone else may.

Please Google how to turn on advanced combat logging. These logs are ok for now but they do miss important information like resources (which may matter especially as you have the belt), talents and gear so on so if you do happen to be raiding tonight please upload any new logs as well. Thank you.

Oh and if you do raid for now focus on Immolate and ELT uptime  (you're pretty good with the buff but still can be a little better). Sometimes you are really good with your DoT and other times it goes out the window. So also think about what causes the difference. Do you perhaps panic or maybe just forget on fights you are less comfortable with?

5 hours ago, spikeysquad said:

No problem. I will not have time today now to have a proper look though someone else may.

Please Google how to turn on advanced combat logging. These logs are ok for now but they do miss important information like resources (which may matter especially as you have the belt), talents and gear so on so if you do happen to be raiding tonight please upload any new logs as well. Thank you.

Oh and if you do raid for now focus on Immolate and ELT uptime  (you're pretty good with the buff but still can be a little better). Sometimes you are really good with your DoT and other times it goes out the window. So also think about what causes the difference. Do you perhaps panic or maybe just forget on fights you are less comfortable with?

Hey thanks for the quick reply, ill work on getting the adv logs sorted today and try joining a heroic raid.  As for the dot uptime it all depends on fight movements sometimes i need to quickly move out of various things and mess's me up quite a lot.  Same happens with ELT sometimes get caught up with dodgeing mechs and forget to keep it active.

Update: Ok here is tonight's raid logs with the advanced combat logging.  Only managed three kills with this grp and a few wipes recorded.

Edited by smokingxaces
Update

Thanks Smoking. Awesome that you got some new logs.

So CA:

Immo uptime 89ish% (taking into account that you died). I saw you got Time Bomb once but then you want to be refreshing your DoT just before you run away so in theory it should not drop then

ELT 90%

Missed Infernal cast (for Lord of the Flames), Also missed subsequent Doomguard casts

Fire & Brimstone should only ever be used on Skorpyron and Tichondrius (and even then it's not essential) in NH (though yes perhaps you didn't have talent changers). Nearly all of the other times you want to be using Soul Harvest in a raid (though Cata has some use on Spellblade).

Wreck Havoc while it can be ok on this fight (but definitely not Trillax or even Skopryron) usually people tend to have better results with either CDF or SC

What do you usually use on say Krosus? I can't tell as the logs aren't advanced but it's not CDF anyhow so SC or WH? You have the belt and 4 set so perhaps give Eradication/Soul Conduit build a try on a single target fight. You may not get much more DPS but many people seem to prefer it over CDF. Otherwise see how CDF is for you. 

So for each fight go to the Casts tab. Now above the graph click on every spell. See all those gaps? That's something as warlock you really want to work on minimising and always be casting. Think about Gateway and portal use on each fight. While you do spec into Burning Rush you never actually use it so think about that or change to one of the other talents. 

You wasted 30 Soul Shards on Skorp, 23 on CA and 38 on Trillax so this is definitely something you have to work on. So much lost damage. Get spending them! Look on Trillax under casts still but this time only  click on Chaos Bolt. See those huge gaps? Perhaps you were out of range doing mechanics but nearly a minute without a CB is way too long. 

Be a little wary about chaining Conflags together as you will probably be missing some Backdraft stacks and/or you are even capping on shards. 

Oh and get some Prolonged Power potions.

I didn't look that in depth but it does seem like you use Rain of Fire a little too much on some fights. According to the guide on MMO Champion you need just over 2 targets to stay in it for the full duration for it to come out ahead. However, if you are using Wreck Havoc you actually need then over 4 to actually be more damage over a double CB. So for Elisande there should never be a reason to RoF. Neither on Trillax as Scrubber damage doesn't matter.  

Good luck. Go practice and repost in a couple of weeks if you want. 

Disclaimer: Always may be errors. 

P.S To see the talents that give the best overall DPS on each fight (though they aren't neccassarily the best ones for progression). Look down the page to see the different set ups as for Destro we actually have some more choice rather then a set build. Ask though if you are unsure otherwise just experiement and see what fits yous more. Click through each boss/difficulty.  https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/11/#boss=1849&difficulty=4&class=Warlock&spec=Destruction

Edited by spikeysquad
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback ill work on everything you mentioned Spikey and I agree Havok isn't doing very well for me I usually use SC but got told by another mythic geared lock to try using it so gave it a whirl, at the end dont like it since most fights tend to be single target most of the time.  Ill get back in a week or two and see how the changes looking.

Hey all,

Usually I can figure out how to get my dps up, but I'm having problems recently with matching the other warlock in our raid.

I have weekly logs dating back to when Legion came out, and I've played all three specs well.  I would just love to know how to get my dps up more, or if it's a 'get more gear' kind of thing.

I use Askmrrobot in Machine Learning mode for gear advice (another source would be helpful, too)

AMR:  http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/us/lightbringer/kristiná

Character:  http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightbringer/Kristiná/simple

Logs:  https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/996330/latest

Thank you all,

-Kris

Hi, I'm new to the warlock raiding, and I'm really enjoying it. With that being said, I find myself as lost as a kitten when it comes to certain things suggested on this website. More importantly, my artifact weapon seems to take so much to recharge back to 12, that often times I have to DPS without its uses.

First question I have is, what is more important? Stats or ilvl? I've been told by certain players that, so long as it has ONE of the top THREE stats for Affliction (Mastery, Haste => Crit) that I should go with it. Meaning, basically, that if I have an item that has Crit and Versatility but is 5-10 ilvls higher, I should take it and wear it. Is this true? I'm curious the priority. Because to me it would seem stats would and should outweigh ilvl. Thoughts on this, and please feel free to explain in as much detail as possible.

My second question is, as I stated above, it feels like my artifact weapon takes forever to charge up, and even if it's at 12 when we get to the boss, it seems to "fade" away, relatively quickly. Any advice on how to help make my artifact weapon's use more....well....useful? I always wait for 12 before I use it, but times I never get to use it, at all.

These questions I'm asking, I didn't think a log would be required, since they seem more of general questions than specific "help my deeps" type questions lol. If needed, of course, I can provide a log as well.

16 hours ago, Jozh said:

Hi, I'm new to the warlock raiding, and I'm really enjoying it. With that being said, I find myself as lost as a kitten when it comes to certain things suggested on this website. More importantly, my artifact weapon seems to take so much to recharge back to 12, that often times I have to DPS without its uses.

First question I have is, what is more important? Stats or ilvl? I've been told by certain players that, so long as it has ONE of the top THREE stats for Affliction (Mastery, Haste => Crit) that I should go with it. Meaning, basically, that if I have an item that has Crit and Versatility but is 5-10 ilvls higher, I should take it and wear it. Is this true? I'm curious the priority. Because to me it would seem stats would and should outweigh ilvl. Thoughts on this, and please feel free to explain in as much detail as possible.

My second question is, as I stated above, it feels like my artifact weapon takes forever to charge up, and even if it's at 12 when we get to the boss, it seems to "fade" away, relatively quickly. Any advice on how to help make my artifact weapon's use more....well....useful? I always wait for 12 before I use it, but times I never get to use it, at all.

These questions I'm asking, I didn't think a log would be required, since they seem more of general questions than specific "help my deeps" type questions lol. If needed, of course, I can provide a log as well.

Hey Jozh,

Stats tend to matter more but eventually a big item level upgrade will win out. Vers is really weak for Affy so a Crit and Vers piece would have to be way higher than something with Mastery and non-Vers for it to actually be better. However, to complicate  matters Affy does like somewhat of a balance. As an example if you have a lot of mastery then haste will usually be more desirable and vice versa. 

Either use the general long-term stat weights from the BiS list at http://lockonestopshop.com/ with the addon Pawn. Or if you will keep it up start simming yourself for some short term stat weights and these questions will be a lot easier. Raidbots.com is really user friendly if you haven't simmed before. Do check out your results though first with an experienced warlock before you follow something blindly.

Ah never wait for your weapon to get to 12 souls before you start Reaping. Though if you get to 12 souls then you probably want to activate it to not waste anymore. You want to be using all your souls on a raid fight before it finishes or you are missing potential damage. If on some fights you are not getting to 12 either then I actually wonder as well if you are tagging all adds (they give Souls and Wrath of Consumption stacks when they die so this is important).

Assuming you're talking about a raid situation then any souls that you make on trash will be reset when you pull a boss so use them all up before. Now when you pull a raid boss you should get the first 3 really quickly. In dungeons they do not reset on a boss pull so save some up if you want to maximise your damage there.

As your Reap knowledge is rather lacking your rotation is probably not correct either and I'd suggest you study a little more. Check out: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2039379-Legion-Terryn-s-guide-to-Affliction-Warlock 

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/user/Yipzarena/videos I'd suggest the Affliction Beginner Guide (I haven't actually watched this one yet but the rest of his stuff is very informative), Fatal echos + reap soul usage! and Malefic grasp(for beginners! as a good starting point but ultimately watch any that sound useful for you. 

Good luck.

Edited by spikeysquad
  • Like 1

Oh man, you're awesome, I appreciate the help and guidance more than you know! I've bookmarked these sites and if you think of any others, please feel free to let me know.

Hi guys, I would like to get some help with my Destruction dps, specially in single target fights.

Chronomatic Anomaly: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/dpc6nrfg8mvCWAHY#fight=4
Trilliax: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/dpc6nrfg8mvCWAHY#fight=5
Guarm: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/dpc6nrfg8mvCWAHY#fight=17

You may freely analyze another fights in this log, I am obviously doing something different from my lock college, but I didn't figure what. If you can poit out that would be cool also.

I have a good range of legendaries, but not the Lessons from Space-Time.

Apreciate any help.
Sabin

You should be blowing all of your Dimensional Rift charges during Soul Harvest, if you're using it. If using Eradication the sequence is like this:

Immolate

Conflagrate

Grimoire: Imp

Summon Doomguard

Chaos Bolt

Soul Harvest + artifact ability x3

Continue your rotation from there.

Edited by Tarazet

Hi guys,

I reach out to you because I seek guidance. My guild just started ToS and I am not happy with the damage I deal. Could you please check the logs (not only ToS but also NH since I don't think it's related to the encounters, but to my playstyle). Am I doing something wrong?

My gear is quite alright, I am going for the correct stats and I am pretty sure, that my skill priorities (since we don't have a real rotation) are more or less correct as well. Maybe some tweaks in regards to not recasting DoTs so often but that shouldn't make such a big impact. So there has to be something I am doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/eu/blackmoore/mogrell

Cheers

Mogrell

Help! I have been raiding as Demo since Legion launch but just switched to Destruction starting with ToS. I am having a little trouble understanding the logs and what my dps issues are. I was an expert at reading them and knowing what to tweak with Demo, but I'm only 3 weeks into this spec and still unsure. Any advice on how to tweak my rotation or other suggestions would be great. Thanks!

My name is Roisindubh

LOGS: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/4RYwKrJyAc2mTQXb#boss=-2&difficulty=0&view=analytical&type=damage-done&source=18

AMORY: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/garrosh/roisindubh

Hi all,

So I'm playing Warlock Affliction for 2 weeks. I'm still trying to understand how to play this class, sometimes in ToS I'm in the Top3 DPS and sometimes not, so I need a feedback.

My name is Chaoticblood, I am 914 ilvl.

ARMORY : https://worldofwarcraft.com/fr-fr/character/ysondre/chaoticblood

LOGS : https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FNHX2jDm3M87ZQJ1#type=damage-done&boss=-2&difficulty=0&source=11

Thanks a lot :)

2 hours ago, progz said:

Hi all,

So I'm playing Warlock Affliction for 2 weeks. I'm still trying to understand how to play this class, sometimes in ToS I'm in the Top3 DPS and sometimes not, so I need a feedback.

Your armory and logs are in French and I don't speak/read French but my girlfriend does a little, between her and Google I'm 99% sure I got the information I needed but just in case, here is the forewarning.

I only looked VERY quickly, I did not do a major indepth analysis. However, the main issue that stands out to me is that  you used the same talents for all of the fights. What fight you are doing radically changes what talents you should take and having the wrong ones will literally cost you 300-600k DPS on some fights.

Take a look at warcraftlogs and see what other locks are doing, that is normally your best bet for good info on what works.

Did anyone have the time to take a look into my char? Although I did get some good results with some fights I really lack performance with others leaving me with a green or even grey bracket. For example Harjatan HC and Fallen Avatar NHC. Any advice?

On 6/28/2017 at 10:44 AM, Thistlebloom said:

Help! I have been raiding as Demo since Legion launch but just switched to Destruction starting with ToS. I am having a little trouble understanding the logs and what my dps issues are. I was an expert at reading them and knowing what to tweak with Demo, but I'm only 3 weeks into this spec and still unsure. Any advice on how to tweak my rotation or other suggestions would be great. Thanks!

My name is Roisindubh

LOGS: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/4RYwKrJyAc2mTQXb#boss=-2&difficulty=0&view=analytical&type=damage-done&source=18

AMORY: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/garrosh/roisindubh

Still need help, here's my most recent logs:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/4M8dVy7qx12HvnTJ#view=analytical&boss=-2&difficulty=0&source=18

5 hours ago, Lockybalboa said:

Your armory and logs are in French and I don't speak/read French but my girlfriend does a little, between her and Google I'm 99% sure I got the information I needed but just in case, here is the forewarning.

I only looked VERY quickly, I did not do a major indepth analysis. However, the main issue that stands out to me is that  you used the same talents for all of the fights. What fight you are doing radically changes what talents you should take and having the wrong ones will literally cost you 300-600k DPS on some fights.

Take a look at warcraftlogs and see what other locks are doing, that is normally your best bet for good info on what works.

Thanks. I iwll compare my talents between other player! 

On 6/23/2017 at 0:59 AM, Endorhal said:

Hi guys,

I reach out to you because I seek guidance. My guild just started ToS and I am not happy with the damage I deal. Could you please check the logs (not only ToS but also NH since I don't think it's related to the encounters, but to my playstyle). Am I doing something wrong?

Stop using SL on pure ST, i didn't have time to look closer than that.

17 hours ago, Thistlebloom said:

I havent touched destro since EN, won't be playing it in ToS. Sorry fam.

LF some help. our destro lock is beating me on most fights and hes lower ilevel and im usually ranking green/blue, rarely purple. Feel like im getting the drain cycles right on the MG fights and UA dumps on the Writhe fights but im just not consistantly ranking well https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PcQYKbZHDX1JvBM6

Edited by vaeevictiss