FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Gnar

Demon Hunter ruins Demonology

@Shadowlock
From everything I read, there are some different ways of summoning for warlocks, either by force or by contract. The more brute demons are bound through force and therefor struggle to get free, while some "smarter" ones have some sort of contract with the warlock (atleast the imp says something like: "that was not part of my contract" in the german version) in exchange of power for the warlock and arcane energy for the demon. (I believe this information is part of the grimoires found during the green fire quest so should be somehow accurate and/or canon for wow).

B2T: If they will cut Meta and as it seems they are very likely to do so, I will miss the meteorite glyph for demonic leap. So much fun.

No, I don't think our normal demons are fulled taken over by us - the demons we have to control through Enslave Demon could be but I don't think so even in their case.

I don't have any cannon I can point to for this other than observations made in game when summoning/commanding the demons but I always thought it was more of a "Theses are not the droids you are looking for" type thing. The demons under our command ARE under our command, no matter how stupid the AI blizzard has made they do follow our commands and do as we tell them. 

BUT they also retain personality based on the type of demon they are. The Imps are always...Imp-ish, the Void Walkers are no BS night club bouncers that seem to be a little mad they have to tank for us AGAIN, the Fel Puppies just kind of...puppie, Succys always act like a cheap date after to many vodka tonics, etc, etc.

Because of this retention of self I don't think we totally take over them like a Priest casting Mind Control. But due to their clear lack of WANTING to do what we say yet always DOING it we must have some kind of dominating control over them, much like a Jedi Mind Trick.

A Storm Trooper is still a Storm Trooper, but when I wave my hand and tell them these are not the droids they are looking for the Storm Trooper agrees.

Found the resource, it´s Jubeka´s Journal: inv_misc_book_11.jpgJubeka's Journal

So it seems there are demons interested in contracting with warlocks and some that are forced or need heavy binding mechanisms.

Its been a lot of years but I seem to remember that from a quest in vanilla or BC, maybe for the warlock mount? Or the old lvl 20 go to SFK quest? Something like that.

It's been asked by players and responded by blue posts that lore wise, warlocks and their art are still semi forbidden, hence why they meet in the shady in. They wouldn't really be bringing out their demon pets and controlled demons into SW as it would cause panic. Warlocks are known, but not more so in public as being one. I think the Demon Hunter idea is a good one, wouldn't that be an awkward conversation between the two?

But I believe that in the same sense the knights of the ebon blade still work away from the LK and forsaken, there are factions that work for the other team which are exceptions.

This is partly explained in the Green Fire quest text/lore, and how the search for "New"" demonic power was dangerous to begin with, which is why the warlocks were sent in pairs. It shows that fel energy can used for "evil" but in the case of the players who defeat Kelrethad, can control it.

Edited by backflipko

It's been asked by players and responded by blue posts that lore wise, warlocks and their art are still semi forbidden, hence why they meet in the shady in. They wouldn't really be bringing out their demon pets and controlled demons into SW as it would cause panic. Warlocks are known, but not more so in public as being one. I think the Demon Hunter idea is a good one, wouldn't that be an awkward conversation between the two?

But I believe that in the same sense the knights of the ebon blade still work away from the LK and forsaken, there are factions that work for the other team which are exceptions.

This is partly explained in the Green Fire quest text/lore, and how the search for "New"" demonic power was dangerous to begin with, which is why the warlocks were sent in pairs. It shows that fel energy can used for "evil" but in the case of the players who defeat Kelrethad, can control it.

Jubeka Shadowbreaker allowed players to take a small fraction of his fel power but not all of it, so we cant prove if we could control the amount of power he had absorbed.

Edited by Shadowlock22

Demonology is the study of demons and fel (demonic) magic.

In Vanilla, Blizzard wanted to release Demon Hunters as playable from the beginning, but decided the game didn't need them yet.

Metaporphosis was still a really awesome ability, so they threw it onto Demo locks for fun (read: bastardization).

Did you know Shadowform was orignally meant for Affliction warlocks? They gave it to Shadow priests because they weren't cool enough.

Maybe Demo just wasn't cool enough at the time, so that's why they threw it to them like a frisbee is thrown to a cat (cat's don't normally play fetch).

I'm happy and completely relieved that I'll be able to play a non-clunky Demo spec now.

Demon Hunters turn into demons. That's their thing.

Demonology Warlocks summon hordes of demons and use them to their advantage in combat. That's their thing.

Don't like it? Play a Demon Hunter then. That's their thing.

And all warlock specs summon demons. Demonology isn't special in that regard. Demon Hunters feel rushed, and watered down. And the entire point of Demon Hunters is hunting demons. What happens when there isn't an expansion with demons in it? They don't make sense. I mean, they feel so rushed that they only have 2 specs. Only 2 races can be demon hunters. It's just kind of lame. And for Demo to have to have it's biggest ability taken away just so Blizz can have an excuse for a new class is cheap.

Actually, demonology is special in that reguard - they can summon a special demon that is more powerful than the base demons that the other two specs can summon.

Demon Hunters have two specs because they did not want to have two dps specs that are redundant for each other, and use the same gear, etc, and force players to play the one that yields higher dps anyway (like Frost vs. Unholy).

Demon Hunters can only be two races because the lore story behind the demon hunters we'll be able to play as are Illidari - the demon hunters that Illidan trained at the Black Temple before his defeat. He only trained Elves, and as such Blizzard is sticking to their lore and only Elves will be able to be demon hunters, since they are the former Illidari Demon Hunters.

I'm happy and completely relieved that I'll be able to play a non-clunky Demo spec now.

Demon Hunters turn into demons. That's their thing.

Demonology Warlocks summon hordes of demons and use them to their advantage in combat. That's their thing.

Solid necro...

Anyway, I'm gonna poke holes to poke holes.

1) You have no idea how this spec will play.  BM with its stack management, 2 focus bars, 3 cooldowns that all rely on the user using them in the proper order, as well as other abilities like Steady Focus are clunky.  If Demo plays like this, it's going to be clunky... If you think dashing around through targets as your main fury gain isn't clunky either, then sure go play DH and watch yourself dash into countless void zones just so you can have a cool meta form again.

TLDR Don't assume it won't still be clunky.

2) Demo locks turn into demons.  It is their thing. Demon Hunters don't even exist yet.  Lore has been thrown aside so many times so there is no validity in saying DH turn into demons when right now, only demon locks do. Proving that one does something, does not prove the other cannot.

3) Demo locks summon up to 3 demons at once like any other warlock and then some imps. Wouldn't call it hordes. The imps outside of UVLS armys of ToT and this tiers HoG imps has never felt overwhelming and super demonic.