FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

5.4 Demonology Tips and Quirks

Do you know which trinket is BiS for affliction currently? I see some top warlock using Cha-ye + wushoolay's. Although some say its breath of the hydra.

They're probably using whatever they can get their hands on. Not sure a lot of players have the luxury of choice yet (I, for one, still have not seen Wush, Cha-Ye's, or Breath.) I consider myself lucky to have gotten Unerring, but I can't vouch for BiS trinkets until I personally test them live. I just don't trust other's abilities to use them properly in raid situations or simulation factors.

Notes on proc uptimes as Demonology for some personal logs:

#18 Heroic Jin'rohk parse: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-uz3b5tdj20cjs56w/details/97/?s=2155&e=2471

Tempus Repit (legendary meta gem): 9 procs for a duration of 60.7 seconds (19.2% uptime). This means that this thing proc'd within itself, essentially wasting half of the first proc and half of the second proc. Sad to see this happen, but it's something to deal with.

Acceleration (proc from ShadoPan Assault trinket) : 22.1% uptime, darn near its maximum. Still sad to be using this :(

Perfect Aim: 3 procs in 5:15 fight. Kinda crappy on the RNG. Had good RNG on a wipe when we died at 20% where I was at 202k DPS. Amazing what this trinket can do for you both in a good way and a bad way. Because of low proc rate on this fight, had a measly 16/35 Doom crit rate (45.8%)

#25 Council of Elders parse: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-uz3b5tdj20cjs56w/sum/damageDone/?s=4663&e=5005

Tempus Repit: 7 procs for duration of 69.7 seconds. Compared to Jin'rokh, I had no overlapping procs here. So even though I had less procs, I had a higher duration.

Perfect Aim: only 3 procs, but BOY did I get to use them properly. At the beginning of the fight, I had a potion, Dark Soul, Berserking, Bloodlust, Tempus Repit, Lightweaving, Jade Spirit, and Metamorphosis up when Perfect Aim proc'd. I managed to get all 4 councilors marked with a 100% crit chance Doom. Doom was ticking like a TRUCK at the beginning helping me sustain 300k+ DPS for a good 90 seconds of the fight. Sadly, I got few procs from there on out, but the damage was done big time at the beginning. Doom crit rate (71/112) = 63%. Wild Imps did 81k DPS on this parse. Incredible with Grimoire of Sacrifice. Probably should have used Glyph of Everlasting Affliction. I will try this next week, and hopefully on heroic mode, we'll see some super long-lasting 100% crit Dooms.

#67 Tortos parse: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-uz3b5tdj20cjs56w/sum/damageDone/?s=6063&e=6331

Tempus Repit: 5 procs, 50 second duration, 18.6% uptime. Not incredible, but that's 18.6% more Bloodlust than I'm used to.

Perfect Aim: 2 procs. Talk about some garbage RNG. Managed to get 21 Doom crit ticks out of 31, but the lack of Perfect Aim procs hurt big time. Most of my damage is by using double Hand of Guldan + Meta on the bats for mega Shadowflame damage. Not completely padding since I still did more damage to Tortos than the bats, but you get the idea. Demo can melt those bats like butter on a hot summer day.

#11 Megaera parse: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-uz3b5tdj20cjs56w/sum/damageDone/?s=7244&e=7631

Tempus Repit: 16 PROCS! 134.1 second duration for uptime of 35%! This was INCREDIBLE RNG!

Perfect Aim: 6 PROCS! holy wowzers, did the stars align for me on this fight. Used Grim of Service, so likely didn't see the full effect of what could have been with those procs, but still did pretty well. This is just an example of how someone can rank with incredible RNG. I was wondering what was going on when I was having 1.0 second Soulfires during Meta. Ranks will soon only be done with incredible RNG, because there's just no way you can compete with anything against someone with a 35% uptime on 30% haste without even considering Bloodlust.

I rolled a 522 Wush last night..... You trade for Unerring now yes k thx love u long time bye.

Wush + Unerring = high potential, but doubtful they'd align correctly. Would be more hopeful for Breath of the Hydra, but I'll settle for Cha-Ye's, methinks.

Listening to the beat of this song while playing Demo will increase your DPS by at least 5 wild imps:

Zagam whats the reason for using soulfire during meta instead of ToC spam?And you are doing it when u have some specific procs or?

When Soulfire got buffed 22%, it became a higher priority with Molten Core procs and Dark Soul up. If Dark Soul isn't up, you want to save Soulfire for caster form because of the higher Demonic Fury generation. Soulfire, if done properly, should appear twice on World of Logs. One form will be the one that cost a shit ton of mana (caster form) and the other one will hit a crapton harder (Meta form). Basically in Meta, your priority is this:

1) Touch of Chaos if Corruption duration < 2 sec

2) Doom if Unerring procs, cycle targets

3) Doom if not applied

4) Soulfire if Dark Soul is up

5) Touch of Chaos

Basically if Corr is about to wear off, use ToC at least once. I usually do it twice for 12 additional seconds. After that, make sure Doom is flying on everything that it will tick on at least once, especially if Unerring procs. If Dark Soul is up, use Soulfire; otherwise, use Touch of Chaos.

Rolled BoTh 522 last night, now I'm with both Normal Both + Wushy.

Just hoping we kill Lei Shen for the next couple weeks and get U.Vision to start playing with Full Haste Demonology

You can check 12th 25N Council parse from my guild's log, I was really unluck with RNG and ended up with 252k dps, did 272k last week with better luck.

Zagam, do you use Imp Swarm glyph with goSac build? Also Simcraft says Glyph of Everlasting Affliction is a DPS gain because with Lei Shen trinket Simcraft can only keep %80ish crit rate without glyph, with glyph it goes up %90+

Sounds like my Council luck. Opened up at massive numbers, decayed all the way to like 220k because of such low rate of procs. I do NOT use Glyph of Imp Swarm. I stack the living hell out of Haste, so it would never line up with Dark Soul like you'd want it to do. Everlasting Affliction IS a gain with Lei Shen trinket on multiple targets. Being the dumbass I am, I again forgot to personally test it this week. Maybe one of these days I'll get my head out of my rear end and do things properly.

I always play council with Everlasting Affliction but Simcraft showed me its a gain even for single target. But its 10000 iterations, in a real world if you get a little lucky to get closer to %100 crit on doom, glyph loses its value.

I was using 8097 haste then mastery because I wasn't able to get next Doom breakpoint but I ignored some socket bonuses and got the breakpoint, gonna test on LFR but real test will be on Sunday raid.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to push in terms of Haste/Mastery to really maximize. I'm sitting at 9400 Haste and I think 8800 Mastery raid buffed. I'm sad I'm still doing normal modes. In the midst of correcting that issue...

Have you ever played Demonology on Horridon? I don't want to respec to Destruction every week just for Horridon but I'm not sure how Demo can be optimal there.

I play it for normal mode. I think Destruction is too damn good to pass up if you're progressing. I feel the same way, holding onto Destruction only for Heroic Horridon and Heroic Ji'Kun. The burst and execute for Destruction are too valuable to pass up in those two fights. Bring on 5.3 and tri-spec!

We killed it two times but I don't think it is on the farm yet. I read that some warlocks can solo nests on Ji-kun heroic(assuming 10man only), have you tried that?

As Destruction, I can solo a nest with CDs. I'm in a 10 man guild now, so yeah, 10 man version. Dark Soul + Immolate on both + Rain of Fire, Havoc Chaos Bolt, CB x2 on one egg, Shadowburn to finish, repeat on other egg.

As far as I know, you can cycle Felstorm, Dark Soul.and Grimoire:Felguard and solo all the nests but you have to skip some nests to make this work. I wish I could try that but I play 25man so its gonna be huuge mess.

I was having issues with my pet reappearing when traveling between nests. Having to summon him twice made me just go Grim of Sac no matter what spec.

Hi Zagam,

I've been wondering the following : if we get the unerring vision trinket, should we then drop every crit to haste / mastery or not?

Also, what do you think is actually the stat prio of demo lock AND... silly question : what is the bloody haste cap for the extra shadowflame tick? I've read 4717 but some say it's not true and it is at 8068 or smtg like that.....

You shouldn't be stacking Crit before you get the trinket either.

Haste and Mastery are the two stats I prefer as a Demo Warlock. You can go Haste > Mastery, Mastery > Haste, or Mastery = Haste. The difference will be minor.

http://www.totemspot.com/vb/entry.php?b=44 table with all of your Haste breakdowns except for Doom. That breakdown is in the comments.

thks for the link!

Well, mastery is pretty straightforward, and crit gives superdoom (so more DF + damages) but wondering what behind haste...

It's letting you get DF faster, I recon, but is it really making a difference on the instant cast of ToC ?

Gonna do some test with mastery > haste > crit :)

Crit doesn't do anything to Doom unless it actually happens. Therefore, even if you stacked Crit and got to 30%, you'd still have an average of 1 tick per 4 critting. This is craptastic.

Mastery does more pet damage (Wild Imps + Doom/Terrorguard + Fel/Wrathguard) as well as boosting your damage in caster form and your Metamorphosis damage by a factor of 3 over your caster form.

Haste speeds up the cast of Shadowbolt and Soulfire, increases the number of ticks from Shadowflame, Corruption, and Doom, and decreases the cooldown of Demonic Calling or Imp Swarm. Haste also increases the chance to proc real PPM trinkets and the Sinister Primal Diamond.

Crit increases the chance of spells dealing double damage. Crit also increases the power of Soulfire as well as generating a Wild Imp if Doom crits.

You must also consider how much of your stat budget you're willing to allow for each stat. Crit is much more expensive than Haste or Mastery.

Crit is much more expensive than Haste or Mastery.

Crit costs around 10 bucks and Haste is on sale for just 8,99 each here in my city.