FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
PsyBomb

New Cards Discussion for Whispers

Most of the c'thun related cards' stats are ok.

Corrupted healbot: pitfighter with +1 attack and deathrattle restore 8 health to opp. Probably only priest are gonna use it.

Eater of secret: good against secret pally, mediocre against hunter and mage, bad against every on else. 

Polluted hoarder:Too low health. Could've been a 3/3 or a 4/3, although 4/3 make it seem too much like shredder.

Ancient shieldbearer: most likely an auto-include in c'thun warrior. They may even hold on to the card to combo with bran.

hogger: meh

Giant sandworm: good if it survives. Worst situation that can happen is when you have no board and the opp has a card like sunwalker or something

forbidden flame:meh card

forbidden shaping: good for curving or turn 10 nothing to play, tap+shaping

forbidden healing: meh

Stand against darkness: bad. Reason: swipe, fan of knives, consec, holy nova exists.

Validated doomsayer: mediocre. Enemy can just cabal it or crazed alchemist it.

Another card has been revealed, a Priest Legendary, and it pulls on mechanics from a Brawl a while back

Herald Volazj: 5/5 for 6, Battlecry to summon a 1/1 copy of each other minion you have in play. Not too sure what to think about this one, actually. Effect can copy a maximum of three guys due to board space, and Battlecries won't go off. Inspires are too slow unless the set reveals a LOT of anti-aggro, but Deathrattles might have potential. Pity so many good ones are going away with Naxx and GvG. 

New cards coming quick, another was revealed on stream. Pity, though, there's no real debate here...

Infested Tauren: 2/3 for 4 (not a typo) with Taunt, death rattle summons a 2/2 slime. If that slime had taunt, it might have seen play. As it stands, this is worse than Sen'jin Shieldmasta. Pass

EDIT: another card has hit, so I don't want to triple-post.

DOOM!: Warlock spell, our first ever 10-mana. Destroy all minions, draw a card for each. While this may look awesome, it's actually distinctly worse than Twisting Nether in the decks which might play it. By the time it comes online, mass card draw is a liability and likely to send you into Fatigue early. Plus it costs two more.

Edited by PsyBomb
  • Like 1

C'thun decks look like they are shaping up to be pretty okay.  Most of the cultists are stated pretty well, so you don't lose much by playing them.  The elder and the beckoner are pretty okay, the chosen is. . . kind of eh.  If the meta slows down it will be playable, but honestly it seems a little weak since quite a few of the classes can remove divine shield very easily.  I don't much care for the shield bearer, 7 mana is really steep for a 6/6.  The amber weaver, however, is pretty stellar.  The corrupted healbot and tauren are pretty horrible outside of arena, and in arena the healbot will be pretty decent and the tauren playable.  Eater of secrets is a worse Kazan mystic so meh, and doom is, as said before, pretty much strictly worse then twisting nether, although I could see it being played in a reno deck where you want 2 board clears.  All three of the forbiden cards are really strong.  You don't have to waste your entire turn paying them, you can play some cards and use the rest of your mana on them making them very flexible, I like them.  The sand worm is terrible outside of arena, playing 8 mana for an 8/8 that has no effect when dropped is just bad.  Hogger is also pretty disappointing, not bad in arena, but for constructed he just doesn't offer enough value for mana investment.  The herald Volazj could be good, but I doubt it, you might see some interesting combo decks around it.  Poluted hoarder and validated doomseer are both pretty trash tier, the latter is just way too slow, and the former is stated pretty poorly, gnomish inventor seems pretty much strictly better to me in most decks.  Stand against darkness I think is pretty okay.  Paladins will probably switch to a more controlish style, which opens up reno paladin as a possible viable option, and I could see this being good enough to make that cut.

New card revealed:

N'zoth's Tentacle: 1/1 for one that Whirlwinds on deathrattle. Generic, too. There is... Potential? It isn't as good as Whirlwind and you won't always be able to set it off (except in Mage), but it is definitely a generic Whirlwind. It's not the kind of thing you play out early, but it'll hurt Aggro and Zoo when it sneaks onto the board. I think it'll see meta-dependent use, plus appearing in new iterations of Patron or similar.

It's also the first card associated with an Old God other than C'thun, so it may be a clue as to how N'zoth will play.

EDIT:

Hallazeal, the Ascended: Shaman legendary, 4/6 for 5 and whenever your spells deal damage, your hero heals that much. I'm not sure it will be used. It's a slow play in the current popular versions (remember that Aggro/Face basically never look at their own life total) and has mediocre stats for the cost. Maybe if Control Shaman becomes a thing?

Edited by PsyBomb

The card feels like an Explosive Sheep, and it doesn't see much play. I even think that Sheep is better because it deals better with aggro cards such as Juggler, Huffer or Arcane Golem. It *could* work with Equality, but Equality with Consecration or Pyromancer feels stronger and the combos aren't played anyway. 

Tl;dr: card feels weak

I agree the tentacles feel kind of weak.  The shaman legendary has a little bit of potential.  He has pretty decent stats for his mana cost, but in order to get value out of his effect you really have to play him with a burn spell or two.  Against slower mid range and control decks the healing might not be incredibly valuable, and against aggressive decks I don't know if he is fast enough.

I feel like the shaman legendary could work in Malygos Shaman because it runs a lot of burn and needs survivability. The spells are cheap (not counting overload), meaning that it's much easier to combo this card with spells. However, it has negative synergy with Ancestor's Call and Malygos. We shall see.

http://m.imgur.com/z8P1EvC

N'zoth's First Mate: Warrior Common, 1/1 for 1 that equips a 1/3 weapon battlecry. This card is actually shockingly good. It traded into many 2-mana plays, tempo-breaks classes otherwise used to trivially wiping 1 health enemies, and can possibly ensure near-100% uptime on weapons for Warrior. I approve, and will be integrating into my own deck ASAP

New card from a Chinese streamer:

Faceless Shambler: 1/1 Taunt for 4, generic, battlecry to copy the attack and health of a friendly minion. Cheaper Manipulator? Kinda, he won't grab abilities, so no Leeroy combo off of him. Awesome synergy with things like C'thun and Amber-Weaver, though, since this one will always have Taunt. I like it, and will be trying to get two for C'thun Druid.

N'zoth the corruptor:Summon all your deathrattle minions that died this game.

New doctor 10 in wild. Imagine the possibilities. I'm gonna put this in my secret paladin when it comes out so that there's revived shredder, sludge, tirion. Oh wait, eater of secrets exsists. Pretty broken in some decks. Probably it will do well in a stalag and fugen renolock in wild, or a midrange pally in wild.

It feels like Everyfin Can Happen, which isn't really that good. It *could* be good in Wild, but I don't think it will be a success in Standard.

All right, ton of reveals in the past couple of days...

N'zoth the Corruptor: 5/7 for 10, battlecry to resurrect all of your Deathrattle minions that died this game. Going to be big in Wild, but Standard is losing most of the great Deathrattles (Feugen/Stalag, Shredder, Belcher, Boom Bots). There are a couple of good ones left (notably Sylvannas and Tyrion), but nothing to that caliber. Before you ask, Hearthstone Twitter clarified that it won't pick up cards that acquired a deathrattle via effects like Unearthed Raptor or Explorer's Hat, but WILL get cards that had deathrattle originally and were silenced.

Undercity Huckster: 2/2 for 2, deathrattle to Burgle one card. Rogue-only. I'm seeing a card that will be decent in Arena but of limited utility in constructed. Compare/contrast Loot Hoarder. The extra point of health will be nice against certain classes and will let it escape trades from certain 1-mana minions, but the card quality it gives you will be wildly unpredictable. Could be popular if Fatigue decks get popular, since it replaces itself without actually drawing cards.

Renounce Darkness: Warlock epic spell, replace your Hero power and class cards with another class, the cards cost 1 less. Costs 2 to cast. It's impossible to say if this will be good or not until we get the actual mechanics of the replacement, but if it's pure random (as the text seems to indicate) it's not going to see any real play. I foresee a lot of Trolden videos featuring the card, though. Now, if there is a logical way to predict what cards come? We'll see. A Warlock deck built to transform might be an interesting concept.

Brood of N'Zoth: 2/2 for 3, generic, deathrattle to give all your minions +1/+1. Not the best, but not TOO bad, I kinda look at this guy like a generic Competitive Spirit. Just ram him into something or otherwise kill it (such as with a Curse of Doom or Reincarnate). I can see it being decent in Arena and POSSIBLY in a Zoo or Token deck built to utilize it in Constructed, but I don't think it'll be competitive. Absolutely adorable art, too, might play it just for that during the fun phase at the beginning of a season.

The Boogeymonster: 6/7 for 8, generic Legendary, gets +2/+2 whenever it attacks and kills something. Um... blegh. Worst card we've seen so far, it is generally going to be outperformed by things like Kvaldir Raider (which is pathetic). Gruul, at least, doesn't require enemies to play into it to keep being a threat. Dust on sight.

Been a few days, so lots of cards to go over.

Xaril, the Poisoned Mind: 4 mana 3/2 that generates a random Toxin on battlecry and Said toxins are all one mans and somewhat stronger than spare parts. Half-decent if you really need Combo enablers and lack 4s, but raptor stats make me sad at that cost. Overall meh, I don't see it getting much play unless more Toxins stuff gets published.

Tentacles for Arms: Warrior weapon, 2/2 for 5 (not a typo) that returns to your hand on deathrattle. Epic rarity, otherwise known as 100 dust. Worthless at that cost, I might have believed it at 4. Worse than Boogeymonster.

Infest: 3 mana Hunter spell, to give all of your minions the Webspinner deathrattle. Considering how cheap this is, it can get you a lot of card advantage fast (combo with the Hounds for all the cards). Still not sure how good it actually would be, but break-even with Arcane Intellect is at two minions... might be worth testing.

Ragnaros, Lightlord: Pally legendary, 8/8 for 8 that heals a random injured ally for 8 at the end of each turn. Unlike the Firelord, this one can actually attack as well. Not too shabby of a card, although that slot is crowded for control pally. Even getting one tick to face makes this guy an enormous tempo swing, so he might actually see play.

Cult Apothecary: 4/4 generic for 5, battlecry restores 2 to hero for each enemy minion. Possibly a replacement for Healbot, but usually won't heal for as much. Way more effective against Zoo and Face Aggro, much less against things like Freeze Mage. This guy's use will, therefore, depend heavily on the meta. I'm not a fan, though. Too unreliable.

Mukla, Tyrant of the Vale: 5/5 for 6 that adds 2 bananas to your hand. Not currently known if these are just the regular ones or if it's the variety, but in the former case it makes half-decent activators for Tempo Mage and some Rogues. Stats are a bit low for my tastes, but it may see Arena use.

Shadow Word - Horror: 4 mana priest spell, destroy all minions with 2 attack or less. Makes Zoo cry again, but Priests usually have a couple of tiny guys they want to keep around (Northshire Cleric, for example). It is going to help the control decks keep the tempo down, and so will probably see some play at singleton.

Mark of Y'Sharrj: 2 mana Druid spell, +2/+2 to a minion and draw a card if it was a Beast. This is surprisingly good for Aggro/Tempo Druids, but not as good if you're trying to go for the long game or if you're facing Fatigue. I like it a lot, and believe it will see play.

Blizzard has also revealed that each class will have a total of nine cards this set. 3 common and rare, 2 epic, and 1 legendary. This lets us start predicting what may come.

Been a few days, so lots of cards to go over.

Xaril, the Poisoned Mind: 4 mana 3/2 that generates a random Toxin on battlecry and Said toxins are all one mans and somewhat stronger than spare parts. Half-decent if you really need Combo enablers and lack 4s, but raptor stats make me sad at that cost. Overall meh, I don't see it getting much play unless more Toxins stuff gets published.

Tentacles for Arms: Warrior weapon, 2/2 for 5 (not a typo) that returns to your hand on deathrattle. Epic rarity, otherwise known as 100 dust. Worthless at that cost, I might have believed it at 4. Worse than Boogeymonster.

Infest: 3 mana Hunter spell, to give all of your minions the Webspinner deathrattle. Considering how cheap this is, it can get you a lot of card advantage fast (combo with the Hounds for all the cards). Still not sure how good it actually would be, but break-even with Arcane Intellect is at two minions... might be worth testing.

Ragnaros, Lightlord: Pally legendary, 8/8 for 8 that heals a random injured ally for 8 at the end of each turn. Unlike the Firelord, this one can actually attack as well. Not too shabby of a card, although that slot is crowded for control pally. Even getting one tick to face makes this guy an enormous tempo swing, so he might actually see play.

Cult Apothecary: 4/4 generic for 5, battlecry restores 2 to hero for each enemy minion. Possibly a replacement for Healbot, but usually won't heal for as much. Way more effective against Zoo and Face Aggro, much less against things like Freeze Mage. This guy's use will, therefore, depend heavily on the meta. I'm not a fan, though. Too unreliable.

Mukla, Tyrant of the Vale: 5/5 for 6 that adds 2 bananas to your hand. Not currently known if these are just the regular ones or if it's the variety, but in the former case it makes half-decent activators for Tempo Mage and some Rogues. Stats are a bit low for my tastes, but it may see Arena use.

Shadow Word - Horror: 4 mana priest spell, destroy all minions with 2 attack or less. Makes Zoo cry again, but Priests usually have a couple of tiny guys they want to keep around (Northshire Cleric, for example). It is going to help the control decks keep the tempo down, and so will probably see some play at singleton.

Mark of Y'Sharrj: 2 mana Druid spell, +2/+2 to a minion and draw a card if it was a Beast. This is surprisingly good for Aggro/Tempo Druids, but not as good if you're trying to go for the long game or if you're facing Fatigue. I like it a lot, and believe it will see play.

Blizzard has also revealed that each class will have a total of nine cards this set. 3 common and rare, 2 epic, and 1 legendary. This lets us start predicting what may come.

I feel like Xaril could work in Miracle Rogue thanks to two one-mana spells to activate Gadgetzan Auctioneer. 3 out of 5 Toxins even have a synergy with the deck. Fadeleaf Toxin protects Malygos and Auctioneer, Firebloom Toxin is a cheap damaging spell that can be played on the same turn as Malygos and Kingsblood Toxin can help you dig for combo pieces even harder.

"Drawing" two random beasts is worse than drawing two random cards from your own constructed deck. 

Apothecary is better against decks that were the reason why Healbot was introduced. I feel like it's better since you also get a 4/4 instead of 3/3 in a control matchup.

Other than that, I generally agree with you.

I rated the Apothecary a bit lower mostly as a meta call. There is a heavy indication that Blizzard is killing Aggro as thoroughly as possible. There has been a lot of control and combo shown, and almost exactly no good cards for Face, Zoo, and Tempo players. Speaking of, couple more reveals:

Nightmare Dragon: 2/8 Neutral Dragon for 6, attack doubles every turn. I can see this being a later play for Paladin or Druid, who can buff its attack to let the doubling go nuts the next turn. On its own, it's just going to be too slow. If its attack would get to 8 without help, your opponent is already hopelessly out of control of the board. Might see some play, and the huge health will be good in Arenas.

Steward of Darkshire: Paladin minion, 3/3 for 3, when you summon a 1-health minion, give it Divine Shield. This is one of the strongest cards we've seen out of the set, and it's a Rare. Turns all of your toy soldiers into durable threats, and Blizzard confirmed that it triggers before Battlecry (and so will work on cards like Twilight Drake). It works no matter how your minion gets there, too, so dropping a Stand after this hits is going to be rough.

Skeram Cultist: 7/6 neutral for 6, gives your C'thun +2/+2. More of the same, solid stats, but not sure how much it'll be used outside of REALLY dedicated decks or Ramp C'thun Druid. 6 mana is getting up there for vanilla threats.

Maybe the Steward of Darkshire will finally make Magma Rager an under-average card rather that super bad card.

Saw some talk about that. Conclusion was that it STILL wasn't worth the space, with Wolfrider existing. I'm trying to decide now which deck is going to be my first Control style, since current trends indicate that Aggro and Zoo are going to have a rough time (darned shame, I love the feel of those). Steward is making me think Paladin, since Token Control is something I played WAY back in my MtG days.

Never pre-ordered a pack before. Normally I like to wait a month and see the viability of expansion. But for some reason this time around i feel the Old gods calling out to me.

Never pre-ordered a pack before. Normally I like to wait a month and see the viability of expansion. But for some reason this time around i feel the Old gods calling out to me.

So, you felt like they were.. Whispering to you?

Okay, I will stop with those lame jokes asap.

• Like 1

Don't mean to be rude or anything, but Did you just copy my post from page one? It's the same including hyphens and punctuations.