FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Mephisto

Keybinds, really???

On 4/6/2016 at 3:32 PM, Mephisto said:

Ok thanks guys the comments make sense so I'll give my memory management a try and see how it goes.

I'm new here but your thread caught my eye. I know how you feel, it was how I felt as a new player to the MMO world. WoW was my first MMO and I had no idea what I was doing! I totally rage-quit in the orc starting area.... yeah, that bad! (To be fair, the mobs were all red when I started playing!)

On to your topic, my ex is the one who got me into this game and said to me "I won't have a keyboard-turning-clicker GF!". So he bought me a Nostromo N52te Game Pad. I looked at this thing like it was some weird contraption I'd need to read an owners manual to learn to use.

But, 8 years later, I can't play without it! The directional pad lets me use my top 4 spells & I have W,A,S,D bound just like I was using the keyboard BUT I have buttons surrounding those that have spells bound to them as well. Then there's my mouse. It has 3 additional buttons, nothing fancy, that I use for auto-run and dodge-roll(GW2) and more. I use my mouse to help maneuver my character (strafing, turning) while simultaneously using W,A,S,D.

Don't let this intimidate you though, it took me some time, one keybind at a time but I got it down and won't ever give up my gamepad!

Keybinding is ok if u can remember 10+ binds...as far as movement /targeting   i use 2 buttons to strafe wo keybinding  and 1 key  ' for tatgeting.   I usr Bartender so my bars are at bottem right of screen and all   my attacks/defensives are clustered on 2 bars   4 to each bar   my mouse movement is minimal.  Keybindint will boost dps if u remember the keybinds perhaps  a few k at most..so do what your comfortable with...and dont worry about what some raid guild wants u to do.

I used to click, keybinding takes a little adjustment time, but you'll find yourself reacting to stuff quicker.  It's possible to be decent clicking for sure, but every time you have to look at your bars to see where your mouse is, it's valuable time you arent paying full attention to the encounter.

One thing I find helpful if you play several different characters is to bind similar abilities to the same button.  For example, my current set up I use 1-4 and R/F for most general rotation abilities.  1-4 are the most common ones I use, 4 being the "pull" ability that when soloing I'll tend to start encounters with - for example, it's Judgement on my Pally, and Flame Shock on my Shaman.  3 is usually the "filler" ability - Frostbolt on my mage, Steady Shot on my Hunter.  R and F I tend to use less, but still want quick access to when I need them, so R tends to be execute abilities like Hammer of Wrath, Shadow Word: Death or Kill Shot, and F tends to be AOE like Whirlwind, Multi Shot and Divine Storm.