FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Nobleshield

A little confused about Pandemic and my DoTs

Wow I did terrible on Maegera with this strat. I felt like I spent too much time wasting GCD's on inhale/exhale and the corruption would only last 12 seconds. Are you supposed to ignore corruption and refresh it with your current buffs at the time?

Given I'm pretty rusty with Affliction at this point.

Edited by Omaric

Wow I did terrible on Maegera with this strat. I felt like I spent too much time wasting GCD's on inhale/exhale and the corruption would only last 12 seconds. Are you supposed to ignore corruption and refresh it with your current buffs at the time?

Given I'm pretty rusty with Affliction at this point.

2 gcds per 14 seconds to maintain dots with roughly 66% more spell power and 100% crit chance.

2 gcds per 14 seconds to maintain dots with roughly 66% more spell power and 100% crit chance.

Ah, so Unerring is essential then to make this work? That would explain it.

Ah, so Unerring is essential then to make this work? That would explain it.

Not essential, but it helps to get a free 2x damage modifier to all dot ticks from it Posted Image. I just did 165k sustained on a dummy, self buffed, with no pots, flask, or food. It is pretty fucking hilarious.

Also, our shadow priest/alt unholy dk just coined the phrase festerswap...I like it.

OFF TO PRACTICE FESTERSWAPPING!

Tested standard affli rotation, did 128k, I pull ~132k as demo, idr destruction. Festerswap will only get more op in raids where I get to prepot :D.

Edited by gahhda

Refined my festerswap skills and I just did 185k sustained over 10 minutes Z_Z...NERFBAT INC.

Refined my festerswap skills and I just did 185k sustained over 10 minutes Z_Z...NERFBAT INC.

Now to recruit a complicit Mage/Shaman to pop bloodlust on the pull...

I tried it for two pulls on Heroic Megaera. It feels...dirty. And clunky. Knowing it'll be fixed soon, I'm trying not to buy into it. Festerswapping makes it sound so delicious...

It really removes you from anything in a fight except destroying a single target and only if there is a secondary target. Makes it usable against Heroic Horridon (if an add lives or you have your stupid pink dino on you), Council (ruins multi-dotting), Tortos, Megaera, Primordius, and Dark Animus.

And with it, kill all dot specs in the game. Yea, because thats a good design.

Lets remove auto attack from melee while we're at it.

My Mage roommate and I discussed this over dinner. Removing DoT snapshotting would require so many rebalances and retuning that Shadow, Affliction, Demonology, Balance, Fire, Feral, Assassination, Unholy, and any other spec that relies heavily on DoTs would fall out. It would also INCREDIBLY trivialize playing these specs. You'd no longer worry about empowered DoTs. You'd just do whatever whenever and not be mindful of anything. It would dull the crap out of just about any DoT class to the point I'd likely not play a Warlock anymore.

I tried it for two pulls on Heroic Megaera. It feels...dirty. And clunky. Knowing it'll be fixed soon, I'm trying not to buy into it. Festerswapping makes it sound so delicious...

It really removes you from anything in a fight except destroying a single target and only if there is a secondary target. Makes it usable against Heroic Horridon (if an add lives or you have your stupid pink dino on you), Council (ruins multi-dotting), Tortos, Megaera, Primordius, and Dark Animus.

My Mage roommate and I discussed this over dinner. Removing DoT snapshotting would require so many rebalances and retuning that Shadow, Affliction, Demonology, Balance, Fire, Feral, Assassination, Unholy, and any other spec that relies heavily on DoTs would fall out. It would also INCREDIBLY trivialize playing these specs. You'd no longer worry about empowered DoTs. You'd just do whatever whenever and not be mindful of anything. It would dull the crap out of just about any DoT class to the point I'd likely not play a Warlock anymore.

Removing the snapshotting converts dots into auto attack. Its nothing but hit this button once every x seconds and then spam filler. Reminds me all too much of combat rogue, which is why I hate that spec with a passion.

Yes, its horribly gimmicky on heroic megaera, but if the other people in my guild do their jobs, adds won't be an issue. We've got a warrior and a shadow priest for adds, so me randomly doing 100k more dps to the boss than I was previously is MASSIVE. I'm only really doing it because I want to get 8/13H this week...which is a very unlikely dream, and requires killing megaera TONIGHT.

Edited by gahhda

Let me make sure this is right though.... You get your dots as buffed as possible. Right before their strength is sapped by a huge buff, inhale them. Now you've got these mega dots in your respiratory system. You then exhale them on a secondary target and immediately inhale them again. Now you exhale them back onto your main target and continue your rotation as normal until Corruption is about to fade and repeat?

Your mom will expire first!!!! o_O

Das bad I apologize fo dat.

• Like 2

Yeah basically if you're going to play like this, you'll want to watch your UA timer.

Removing the snapshotting converts dots into auto attack. Its nothing but hit this button once every x seconds and then spam filler. Reminds me all too much of combat rogue, which is why I hate that spec with a passion.

If they do this, Affliction mainly would be ruined, it would turn into a totally faceroll spec.

it would turn into a totally boring spec.. I wish all ideas of nerfing classes to suit our dumbed down players or players who feel they should be the best at their class or game after minimal time playing would stop.. It's like a higher set of attention to their game is what their trying to avoid? I'm not sure...

Haste, Mastery, Crit, and Spell Power are all snap-shotted when DoTs are cast. DoTs are not about how long you have DoTs running. It's about having the strongest DoTs possible ticking. Visit the Affliction guide I wrote that mentions all of these details about snap-shotting as well as proper use of Pandemic.

I thought that Crit is always calculated in real-time on a per-tick basis. I think only spellpower/mastery/haste are snap-shotted.

I thought that Crit is always calculated in real-time on a per-tick basis. I think only spellpower/mastery/haste are snap-shotted.

The UVLS trinket prove how right Zagam is.

It can also be proven with casting a Chaos Bolt. If you let Chaos Bolt go with 0.2 seconds left of Perfect Aim and CB takes 1.5 seconds to land, it will still benefit from the Perfect Aim proc it had at the end of its cast. All stats are snapshotted at the end of cast spells regardless of travel time.