FORUMS
Damien

C'Thun Control Warrior Standard

Guest TheDemko

Brann + Disciple = 4 damage to a single target

Brann + Emperor = Emperor Triplets

Brann + C'Thun = Nearly guaranteed finisher

And don't underestimate 20 Armor - this can make the difference between death and that one last card draw to hit your C'Thun. Deathrattle Swarm decks are becoming a thing now, and you can use all the Armor you can get your hands on. I believe a one-shot Brann can have more impact on a game than the permanent Hero upgrade offered by Justicar.

Brann seems a little overkill for this deck as gaining 20 armor is about the same as 14 armor( Shieldbearer and Tank Up)

The other synergies are either fair or highly situational.

Brann + Disciple = 4 damage to a single target
Brann + Emperor = Emperor Triplets
Brann + C'Thun = Nearly guaranteed finisher

And don't underestimate 20 Armor - this can make the difference between death and that one last card draw to hit your C'Thun. Deathrattle Swarm decks are becoming a thing now, and you can use all the Armor you can get your hands on. I believe a one-shot Brann can have more impact on a game than the permanent Hero upgrade offered by Justicar.

Guest Hellish

I guess Brann could be possible, but no way is it replacing Justicar. Maybe Revenge? Justicar is essential to Control Warrior however, and this case isn't different. Brann may allow for some flashy tricks once in like every five matches, assuming he lives and/or you have an appropriate hand to synergize with him, but Justicar will provide her increased armor four out of five matches and play a big part in winning on three of them.

I have been playing C'thun Warrior since the release of the Old Gods. Interesting picks here, going to try some cards out.

I myself play it more like an old school ctrl warrior with more spells, 2nd slam 2nd brawl and a Revenge. I also run a Doomcaller. That way you can tempo play C'thun (watch out for Hex tho) to clear the board if you haven't drawn your 2nd brawl by that time and put him back in your deck later on.

Also if you run in to allot of Shamans you can replace Sylvanas for Harrison Jones. 

Guest McShane

Hello, first of all I'd like to say thanks for posting this decklist as it runs great! Curves out nicely, isn't too complicated to play and is for the most part effective.

However I came across a control warrior that was not running C'Thun but did have Elise. The game got pretty ridiculous, I had 102 total health at one point and them 70 something. However they won in the end - despite misplacing with a Bloodmage Thalnos 7 damage into fatigue due to them having Elise (which is where the bloodmage came from of course).

You mentioned that the blood to ichor card is the weak link, do you thinking substituting it out for Elise is smart for when encountering control decks running one as well? Or perhaps Acolyte of Pain, as I find it hard to get any value out of it past 1 card (although I am aware that it can be combo'd with cards like Blood to Ichor and Ravaging Ghoul).

Anyway, cheers for this deck!

Guest Goethe

8-14 atm @ rank 15. Dunno what's wrong, but this deck isn't working out at all. :(

9 minutes ago, Guest Goethe said:

8-14 atm @ rank 15. Dunno what's wrong, but this deck isn't working out at all. :(

I don't want to be mean, but the problem is most likely you. Sottle updated the deck last week and he's used it on the ladder with great success. Believe me when I say that I know it's frustrating. I see Sottle use decks and reach Legend with it and I can't seem to get past,  rank 5. I know the issue's with me, but it's hard to accept :P

If you could make a Youtube video with a game you lost, I think we'd happily give feedback (or you can share screenshots of the turns).

Guest Goethe
On den 25 maj 2016 at 9:34 PM, Damien said:

I don't want to be mean, but the problem is most likely you. Sottle updated the deck last week and he's used it on the ladder with great success. Believe me when I say that I know it's frustrating. I see Sottle use decks and reach Legend with it and I can't seem to get past,  rank 5. I know the issue's with me, but it's hard to accept :P

If you could make a Youtube video with a game you lost, I think we'd happily give feedback (or you can share screenshots of the turns).

That may very well be the case. However I've played 5k+ games and have peaked at rank 6, so I'm no newcomer to the game, but I've never played control warrior. With this deck I'm currently at 20% winrate. I don't know if this deck's supposed to be particularly hard to play or if there's something else wrong, but I can't seem to reach above rank 14.

1 hour ago, Guest Goethe said:

That may very well be the case. However I've played 5k+ games and have peaked at rank 6, so I'm no newcomer to the game, but I've never played control warrior. With this deck I'm currently at 20% winrate. I don't know if this deck's supposed to be particularly hard to play or if there's something else wrong, but I can't seem to reach above rank 14.

I know the feeling. Try posting a video of one of your game and I'm sure we can analyze it. The season is coming to an end, so there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to climb below rank 10 with that deck.

I have to agree that C'thun Warrior is probably the weakest of his breed. Being forced to play mediocre cards like C'Thun's Chosen is not exactly where you want to be as a true control deck, and not overloading The Old God past ~15 attack often renders him unable to seal the game state.

Ancient Shieldbearer, however, is a brilliant payoff card. Same applies to Warrior removal package that is enough to dismantle the opposition more often than not. 

It sucks that we don't have game logs in Hearthstone like we do in World of Warcraft - remote diagnosis is pretty much impossible. And no advice is really going to work unless you want it to. But still.

Control has hardly ever changed since it's invention in 1996. Stick to your strengths and avoid your weaknesses. Don't commit to the board unless you have no better options. Have an idea about what's going on at any given time and what your opponent is doing. Anticipate their actions, plan ahead and know what exactly are you going to kill with your removal spells. Resolve Justicar Trueheart and go to fatigue if you need.

Yeah, and Brawl. Never leave home without at least two copies down your sleeve.

C'thun Warrior may be not the best Warrior deck, but it is not the worst deck either. After playing exclusively against it at rank 6 for like 4 hours in a row I can confirm it is possible to get past rank 15 or 10 using it.

Guest NT63

This is a great deck, reached rank 5 with it today. You need to be patient with your cards to get maximum value depending on the situation. I did not use to blood to ichor, instead I ran another crazed worshipper. Thinking of replacing it now for more late game value since I am seeing more control decks. Any ideas for something other than doomcaller?

Just now, Guest NT63 said:

This is a great deck, reached rank 5 with it today. You need to be patient with your cards to get maximum value depending on the situation. I did not use to blood to ichor, instead I ran another crazed worshipper. Thinking of replacing it now for more late game value since I am seeing more control decks. Any ideas for something other than doomcaller?

A reasonable late-game legendary like Ragnaros the Firelord can back up your chances. With less emphasis on answering your opponent's plays and being more about playing your own offence mid-to-late game Deathwing can be a good board clear while not taxing your hand that hard. Of course, if budget is any of your concern, than sure Doomcaller is a great call (#bigpun)

Guest Nzoth warrior

Have you tested the nzoth control warrior variant yet? Fibonacci reached rank 2 legend with it. Id like to see a new version of control warrior with nzoth too since we already have one with cthun. 

Guest Stoller

I do not recommend anyone to build this deck. I've tested it for 50 games, 45 games were losses, and that is even at rank 20, 15 and so on. I've tried this deck that is recommend here + the tweeks. I've tried my own tweeks and it just simply is too slow, it doesn't have enough answers to anything (for example other control decks). 

I rate this deck 2/10. The 2 points is for the idea of the deck.

3 hours ago, Guest Stoller said:

I do not recommend anyone to build this deck. I've tested it for 50 games, 45 games were losses, and that is even at rank 20, 15 and so on. I've tried this deck that is recommend here + the tweeks. I've tried my own tweeks and it just simply is too slow, it doesn't have enough answers to anything (for example other control decks). 

I rate this deck 2/10. The 2 points is for the idea of the deck.

Anti-control cards: 2x Execute, 2x Shield Slam, 1x GorehowlSylvanas WindrunnerTwin Emperor Vek'lor and, of course, C'Thun.  That seems enough anti-control cards to me.

Could you provide us with a few replays of your games with this deck?

Guest Goethe

I tried uploading a video but Youtube is screwing around with me. Anyway, I've EXTENSIVELY played this deck and sadly I just can't make it work. I've recently updated Deck Tracker so the amount of games is way off (it always resets the counter for some stupid reason) but these are the four decks I'm mainly playing atm. And the tendency is that the C'Thun warrior is the weakest. I'm currently @ rank 13-12.

Untitled.png

16 hours ago, Guest Goethe said:

I tried uploading a video but Youtube is screwing around with me. Anyway, I've EXTENSIVELY played this deck and sadly I just can't make it work. I've recently updated Deck Tracker so the amount of games is way off (it always resets the counter for some stupid reason) but these are the four decks I'm mainly playing atm. And the tendency is that the C'Thun warrior is the weakest. I'm currently @ rank 13-12.

Untitled.png

Did you try plays.tv? It makes gameplay sharing super super easy.

• Like 1

Guest Goethe
23 hours ago, Damien said:

Here's three clips. I would love to get some constructive critiscism on how to play because this deck has got me completely void of ideas. I CAN'T figure out what it is I'm doing wrong.

Paladin - 

Druid - 

Warrior - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ahgUxJIp5E

Guest Goethe
On 2016-06-09 at 5:28 PM, Damien said:

Here's three more clips. Winrate @ 44% atm. Either I'm just really shitty with this deck or it' simply not very good in the current meta.

Another Pally - 

Rogue - 

Mage - 

Against paladin, using Ravaging Ghoul to push 2 damage was probably not the best move, especially when he has the upgraded hero power. On 3:45, playing Ravaging Ghoul before Disciple of C'Thun was better as the Disciple of C'Thun wouldn't have died. On 9:30, you could have just Brawled (same on 11:30). 

Against druid, coining the Fiery War Axe wasn't necessary. Most of druids in current meta are control, and they mostly have slower starts. Also, you didn't really have a turn 2 play anyway. On 2:43, you completely wasted a charge of Fiery War Axe, when the Ravaging Ghoul you played right after would have killed the Disciple of C'Thun as well. On 6:45, playing one Ancient Shieldbearer would be okay, as it would give you nice board position. You would still have the second Ancient Shieldbearer, that can be combined with Brann Bronzebeard. It would result in 50% chance to lose it to Ragnaros the Firelord, but if the Rag would have hit your face, you could just Shield Slam and trade. Playing it one turn later allowed druid to topdeck Nourish, draw cards with it and play the Dark Arakkoa. Luckily the Brawl's outcome was good, but next time you might not be so lucky. On 13:00, you could have played C'Thun and hope for the best. You could also trade, use hero power and play a minion or Brann Bronzebeard + C'Thun's Chosen.

Those are just two games, but I believe you see now that you make misplays. There are possibly more misplays that I did not see.

You're playing your Control deck like an Aggro deck, that can't work. I'm watching your game against Mage and it's not good. Don't play Disciple of C'Thun on empty board. That's damage you would have needed later. Don't  Slam+Ravaging Ghoul to get rid of a 2/3 minion. It would have been much better to just use your last charge of Fiery War Axe (especially since you had another one in your hand). If you had held back on your cards, dealing with Faceless Summoner would have been super easy. The guy was terrible (he Arcane Missiled in your face twice in a row, lol). You should have Brawled right after you played Sylvanas, it would have cleared the board and you would have been guaranteed a minion.

• Like 1

Guest Goethe
On 2016-06-11 at 4:08 PM, positiv2 said:

Against paladin, using Ravaging Ghoul to push 2 damage was probably not the best move, especially when he has the upgraded hero power. On 3:45, playing Ravaging Ghoul before Disciple of C'Thun was better as the Disciple of C'Thun wouldn't have died. On 9:30, you could have just Brawled (same on 11:30). 

Against druid, coining the Fiery War Axe wasn't necessary. Most of druids in current meta are control, and they mostly have slower starts. Also, you didn't really have a turn 2 play anyway. On 2:43, you completely wasted a charge of Fiery War Axe, when the Ravaging Ghoul you played right after would have killed the Disciple of C'Thun as well. On 6:45, playing one Ancient Shieldbearer would be okay, as it would give you nice board position. You would still have the second Ancient Shieldbearer, that can be combined with Brann Bronzebeard. It would result in 50% chance to lose it to Ragnaros the Firelord, but if the Rag would have hit your face, you could just Shield Slam and trade. Playing it one turn later allowed druid to topdeck Nourish, draw cards with it and play the Dark Arakkoa. Luckily the Brawl's outcome was good, but next time you might not be so lucky. On 13:00, you could have played C'Thun and hope for the best. You could also trade, use hero power and play a minion or Brann Bronzebeard + C'Thun's Chosen.

Those are just two games, but I believe you see now that you make misplays. There are possibly more misplays that I did not see.

8 hours ago, Damien said:

You're playing your Control deck like an Aggro deck, that can't work. I'm watching your game against Mage and it's not good. Don't play Disciple of C'Thun on empty board. That's damage you would have needed later. Don't  Slam+Ravaging Ghoul to get rid of a 2/3 minion. It would have been much better to just use your last charge of Fiery War Axe (especially since you had another one in your hand). If you had held back on your cards, dealing with Faceless Summoner would have been super easy. The guy was terrible (he Arcane Missiled in your face twice in a row, lol). You should have Brawled right after you played Sylvanas, it would have cleared the board and you would have been guaranteed a minion.

Thanks for the tips!

I defintely need some practice with the deck.

I have to say though, the deck's unbelievably shitty if you don't draw any overload cards. Without the overload effects of the shieldbearer your basically screwed. Many a games I've lost because I haven't drawn any overloads by the 5:th mana. So annoying and a pretty considerable flaw in the deck imo and with only one board clear it can be a real hassle (but then again, could be my playstyle isn't very "controlish", practice makes perfect I guess).

6 hours ago, Guest Goethe said:

Thanks for the tips!

I defintely need some practice with the deck.

I have to say though, the deck's unbelievably shitty if you don't draw any overload cards. Without the overload effects of the shieldbearer your basically screwed. Many a games I've lost because I haven't drawn any overloads by the 5:th mana. So annoying and a pretty considerable flaw in the deck imo and with only one board clear it can be a real hassle (but then again, could be my playstyle isn't very "controlish", practice makes perfect I guess).

Not sure if I understand what you mean by "overload effect". Only shaman cards have overload and they cause you to have blocked mana crystals next turn you play the card. Example of card with overload is Lightning Storm or Feral Spirit. Do you mean C'Thun buffs?

Pretty sure you can assume he means C'thun buffs, as that's the only thing that makes sense. And indeed, not getting C'thun to a 10/10 by turn 5 is quite a big issue going forward.