Damien

Barnes Tempo Mage Standard

30 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about Barnes Tempo Mage Standard deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been playing this deck the whole night and i am having a blast, but a thought went into my mind. Would it be retarded to put Malygos in this deck because i feel like it could help having a bit more late game pressure if you haven't killed your opponent by the time and since it is so heavy on spells and i don't have the flamewaker's and neither do i have the Thalnos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Guest Callmerex said:

I have been playing this deck the whole night and i am having a blast, but a thought went into my mind. Would it be retarded to put Malygos in this deck because i feel like it could help having a bit more late game pressure if you haven't killed your opponent by the time and since it is so heavy on spells and i don't have the flamewaker's and neither do i have the Thalnos

I do not think it will work.

Looking at the spells the deck has, in order to use them with Malygos you either expect him to stick to the board for at least one turn, or have discounted spells with Emperor Thaurissan. The first one has a really small chance to happen, and the second one requires you to remove a second card in order to fit emperor in the deck. Then you are starting to loose the tempo based strategy of the deck and you are slowly transforming it into a spell damage combo mage.

In order for a Malygos to work in a spell damage mage deck, you need spells like Ice Lance. So all in all i think what you are looking for is the Reno Freeze Mage deck with Malygos in it :).

Edit : I'm talking about this one : http://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/legendary-reno-jackson-mage-freeze-standard-deck

Edited by CodeRazor
Forgot deck link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an adventure legend only scrub,I swapped out rag for medivh,would it be viable?So far im getting good results with the portals flamestrikes and fireballs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a decent swap. This deck is rather lacking in big minions, Medivh can help getting a couple extra threats on the board while you burn your opponent down.

Alternatively, if you often manage to have big hands just waiting to get played, you can try Emperor Thaurissan and get more bang for your mana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TheEviscerator said:

As an adventure legend only scrub,I swapped out rag for medivh,would it be viable?So far im getting good results with the portals flamestrikes and fireballs

Just to add to what Keiz has said, people are also very unlikely to hold Harrison/Ooze when playing vs. a Mage. You're very unlikely to be running Medivh, so they'll probably burn their weapon removal before you play him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything to replace Arcane Blasts with? Not just here, but in general, everytime I look at a tempo mage deck here, I'm like 'Let me guess, there is an Arcane Blast in the deck, which I don't have'. Card is good probably, but I don't want to craft it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FanOfValeera said:

Anything to replace Arcane Blasts with? Not just here, but in general, everytime I look at a tempo mage deck here, I'm like 'Let me guess, there is an Arcane Blast in the deck, which I don't have'. Card is good probably, but I don't want to craft it.

Since this deck revolves around even cheaper spells and has more aggressive approach, Arcane Blast are hard to replace. You probably should play regular tempo and play second Spellslinger and Bloodmage Thalnos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would the new secret where if ur opponent plays a minion it becomes a sheep or the greater arcane missiles epic be good here?btw,there doesnt seem to be a link from the original page to the comments,i only can get to this page by searching up "icyveins aggro tempo mage comments: on the internet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2016 at 5:48 PM, FanOfValeera said:

Anything to replace Arcane Blasts with? Not just here, but in general, everytime I look at a tempo mage deck here, I'm like 'Let me guess, there is an Arcane Blast in the deck, which I don't have'. Card is good probably, but I don't want to craft it.

Babbling Book comes to mind. It's definitely not an optimal switch, but it's cancerous viscerally satisfying when he gives you the exact spell you need at a given moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TheEviscerator said:

Would the new secret where if ur opponent plays a minion it becomes a sheep or the greater arcane missiles epic be good here?btw,there doesnt seem to be a link from the original page to the comments,i only can get to this page by searching up "icyveins aggro tempo mage comments: on the internet

The Polymorph secret is worse than Mirror Entity in this deck. The new big arcane missiles are too expensive mana-wise and the value is not good enough. As for the missing link, it will be fixed soon, thank you for your patience.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What should I sub in for a second Arcane Blast and Bloodmage Thalnos? I have very little dust and I currently run Forbidden Flame and Babbling Book in their places

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guest Jakway said:

What should I sub in for a second Arcane Blast and Bloodmage Thalnos? I have very little dust and I currently run Forbidden Flame and Babbling Book in their places

Babbling Book for Arcane Blast sounds reasonable, Bloodmage Thalnos is just too good though. You could run Kobold Geomancer, but the missing cycle is significant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, peekaboo said:

Firelands has become significantly worse after MSOG.

Yes, the average stats of 5-drops has dropped, and if you get Bomb Squad, it can be quite dangerous, but you might as well get win condition in Red Mana Wyrm or Burgly Bully (potentially huge damage output with Flamewaker). So, while the average 5-drop value dropped, Firelands Portal is still strong enough to be included. If you still feel like the card is not good enough, you might try including second Flamestrike in place of one Firelands Portal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vatu said:

With what cards can i replace arcane blast and flamewaker? Thanks!

As positiv2 has mentioned arcane blast is cheap and is not really replaceable (you could try Forbidden Flame) .. For the big tempo swing Flamewalkers are required cannot be replaced 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had great success with your decks but with this deck the the incane blasts are a bit too expensive for a mostly budget player such as myself. Are you able to recommend a substitute?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Guest Someordinaryguy said:

I've had great success with your decks but with this deck the the incane blasts are a bit too expensive for a mostly budget player such as myself. Are you able to recommend a substitute?

As has been said multiple times throughout this thread, Arcane Blasts are harder to replace in this deck than in other decks, like Tome tempo mage. You can replace them with Babbling Books, or one Babbling Book and one Arcane Anomaly, though it's recommended to swap to another tempo mage build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, vatu said:

this deck is a literal instaloss if you dont draw mana wyrm at your starting hand.

Not necessarily an instaloss, but quite hard indeed, especially given mage's current position in meta. You still have enough strong cards to stabilise in the early game and start pushing damage, though it isn't as easy. You could post a replay so we can see where the issue lies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have problem against all aggro like quest shaman or hunter, and in general with opponents flooding the board. I have a copy of flamestrike and a volcanic potion, i try to use them when they have 5 minions or so, but they simply refill the board again. If i dont get mana wyrm in starting hand it is really difficult and antonidas comes too late to gain value. Any suggestion? Thanks a lot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Guest Kods said:

I have problem against all aggro like quest shaman or hunter, and in general with opponents flooding the board. I have a copy of flamestrike and a volcanic potion, i try to use them when they have 5 minions or so, but they simply refill the board again. If i dont get mana wyrm in starting hand it is really difficult and antonidas comes too late to gain value. Any suggestion? Thanks a lot 

Usually mulligan and misuse of resources are the core of the issue. It would be very helpful if you uploaded a few replays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By hjp
      Who are we?
      Volatile are a group of mostly ex-mythic raiders, looking to get back into mythic raiding. We cleared through Nighthold heroic a number of months ago and need some more people in order to jump into mythic. Besides raiding our friendly bunch of members enjoy running mythic+ on daily basis, helping out with world quests among other things. Our discord is usually filled with members for daily banter and weekly fun. If you enjoy all that, you most certainly will enjoy your stay in Volatile.
      Who are we looking for?
      We're primarily looking for both melee and ranged DPS to fill out the roster. At this time we are full on tanks and healers.
      Tanks - Closed
      Healers - Closed
      Ranged DPS - MM Hunter, Frost Mage, Warlock and Shadow Priest
      Melee DPS - Especially WW Monk and Ret Paladin but all classes will be considered
      Overall we're looking for people with a good knowledge of their class/spec who know how to improve their gameplay. Being fairly thick skinned and being able to accept constructive criticism, as well as the occasional jab from some of our more 'outspoken' members, is a big plus too.
      When do we raid?
      We raid two times a week as standard, we often have an additional raid day if necessary. See raid times below. 
      Thursday: 8pm - 11pm (Server time)
      Sunday: 8pm - 11pm (Server time)
      Tuesday: 8pm - 11pm (Additional day)
      Application process:
      We believe the best way to get to know if someone is right for the guild is just to have a chat, rather than go through a long application process. So we'll have a chat, look at logs and possibly run some M+ to get to know each other. If you're interested in joining our mythic raid team, contact any of the following:
      Contact us:
      GM: 
      Xadel#2609, Xadel (ingame)
      Council: 
      Òops#2597, Drainphase (ingame)
      Passive#2900, Malenky (ingame)
      Ohajay#2606, Draconem (ingame)
      Hjp#21650, Phynn (ingame)
    • By Damien
      This thread is for comments about our Jade Rogue Standard Un'Goro deck.
    • By Vlad
      This thread is for comments about our Genji build guide for Heroes of the Storm.
    • By Zadina

      The 97th Tavern Brawl is called 'An Ancient Recipe' and it offers players the chance to try out Journey to Un'Goro decks.
      The rules of this Brawl are simple: you choose a hero and you get a premade deck with the Un'Goro deck recipe for that class. The deck archetypes are the following and we even have guides for most of them:
      Quest Druid Dinomancer Hunter Elemental Mage (guide for almost identical deck here) Quest Paladin Quest Priest Quest Rogue Elemental Shaman Quest Warlock Quest Warrior All deck recipes have pretty good winning chances. This is a nice chance to play with cards you don't own and get to know the new Hearthstone expansion better.