FORUMS
Damien

Marksmanship Hunter 7.3

Guest Atmosphere

Where would the heirloom trinket rank vs  demons or does the sims already account for the demon buff the trinkets provide?

I'm confused as to when to use Sidewinder... can someone clarify this statement: "If you are using the Sidewinders talent, you should only cast it if Marking Targets is active..." The only way to activate Marking Targets is to cast Sidewinder (without the use of True Shot). So what does this even mean? Is there some other way to activate it that I'm unaware of? Or am I reading this wrong?

Thanks for your help.

3 hours ago, Anthia said:

I'm confused as to when to use Sidewinder... can someone clarify this statement: "If you are using the Sidewinders talent, you should only cast it if Marking Targets is active..." The only way to activate Marking Targets is to cast Sidewinder (without the use of True Shot). So what does this even mean? Is there some other way to activate it that I'm unaware of? Or am I reading this wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Marking Targets is activated by Auto Shot, not Sidewinders.

Sidewinders procs/applies Hunter's Mark. It does that when Marking Targets is already active, from Auto Shot.

It is explained here:

I4kYGTp.png

4 hours ago, Guest Atmosphere said:

Where would the heirloom trinket rank vs  demons or does the sims already account for the demon buff the trinkets provide?

It is best in slot for all specs on demons. It is not simmed on demons in the list.

I've been off the game for three year's, just started back one week or so before 7.0 hit. The patch had nothing to do with my return wasn't even aware of it, to be honest. Life change more free time brought me back. Anyway, I was just starting to get a feel for my hunter then baammm 7.0 hit, putting a stop to that kind of behavior. lol, Any way I have been messing around with my DPS / Tal a little today and wanted to pop up the report and ask if it looks alright? Or am I totally effing up? I'm not 100 geared. and stats are not maxed for lvl. Anyway, let me know what you think?

TRINAGON LV 87 MARK HUNTER

Agility  662 - Stamina 702 - Armor  255 

Dummy: 21:02      (4 Min 53 Sec)

Marked Shot       4.3M  (33.0%)

Aimed Shot       3.13M  (23.9%)

Auto Shot            2.8M  (21.5%)

Arcane Shot      2.15M  (16.5%)

multi-Shot       674.8K  (5.2%)

So I'm clearly doing something wrong. If I follow the rotation in the guide to what I think is as close to as I can, its not the most damage I can get out of MM, which doesn't make sense to me. How did the LW/BA/Sentinel/Barrage/PirS build with Aimed Shot only be used to prevent focus cap compare to PS/SW build in your SimC, even on single target? I fully believe that the PS/SW build should do better and my evidence is personal experience, not hard numbers, which is why I think there is something I am missing. Is there a particular mastery level where the +%damage on aimed buffed with 150% from PS overcomes the other talents? 

Thanks in advance and great guide!

The PS/SW build is better, I am not sure what you're referring to. Those talents are recommended all throughout the guide, but it sounds like you've got the impression that I suggest LW/BA/Sentinel/Barrage/PiRS for something?

Apologies for the confusion. The talents I listed are the ones I get the most damage out of while using a rotation that does not press Aimed Shot unless i'm about to focus cap (filler is arcane shot otherwise). I was just wondering if you tested a similar spec where Aimed shot is virtually never pressed, and how it compared. My own testing, which again is not hard numbers, just me wailing on the dummies for a very long time, I can't get more damage out of the PS/SW build, and that really shouldn't be the case, hence my own confusion.

Thanks again!

Just wanted to thank Azortharion for this awesome guide and for taking the time to answer everyone's questions. Amazing work.

50 minutes ago, Xans said:

Apologies for the confusion. The talents I listed are the ones I get the most damage out of while using a rotation that does not press Aimed Shot unless i'm about to focus cap (filler is arcane shot otherwise). I was just wondering if you tested a similar spec where Aimed shot is virtually never pressed, and how it compared. My own testing, which again is not hard numbers, just me wailing on the dummies for a very long time, I can't get more damage out of the PS/SW build, and that really shouldn't be the case, hence my own confusion.

Thanks again!

NJlkX0N.png

I normally don't humor these suggestions.

It is significantly worse, you are either doing something completely wrong with PS/SW, or other factors are at play.

Guest Newbie_101

Thanks so much for making this. My perspective is probably uncommon, but I am an on/off player who has never gotten past level 70 on any of my characters. I always try to read up on the suggested rotations and talents though, so that I can develop good habits on my way up.

So, I picked up WoW again recently and wanted to play a hunter for the first time. Obviously I don't have all the talents yet and mobs die pretty quickly at the lower levels, but it still makes me feel happy to know what I am supposed to do. Again, thanks a lot for the effort!

Guest Guest1021

I don't mean to sound off rude, but does this specialization have anymore complexity other than cycling sidewinders and aimed shot through a marked time window? With two primary dps buttons to rotate on, I feel like this class is dumb downed even further, and is made much easier than ever before.

Okay. Thank you so much for testing that! I figured that would be the case and I will just have to keep trying to fix my play style. Back to wailing on dummies!

Edit: I think I figured out what was happening. I still had some sup-optimal secondaries I could reroll from crafted that did not have mastery. By changing the crit->mastery, even with how little it changed the mastery %, it significantly changes the bonus damage on focus spenders. I can now pull roughly the same numbers between the talents, with the PS/SW build pulling ahead as it should (i'm still sub-optimal in other gear). 

Thanks again for checking the silly idea I had, keep up the great work!

Edited by Xans

3 hours ago, Guest Guest1021 said:

I don't mean to sound off rude, but does this specialization have anymore complexity other than cycling sidewinders and aimed shot through a marked time window? With two primary dps buttons to rotate on, I feel like this class is dumb downed even further, and is made much easier than ever before.

The spec is more complex than Marksmanship has ever been before, arguably any hunter spec, actually.

• Like 1

Azor,

I'm working on making the transition towards MM from BM, since,as you point out, it seems like MM is going to be stronger again. I am hoping on a little clarification on the MM rotation. I read Azor the guide and play tested it some but want to make sure I understand your point. You described weaving MS - AiS - SW - AiS but that does not maximize the number of AiSs inside the Vulnerable debuff, which I thought was the goal. Did I misunderstand or is that just a really simplified rotation? I believed, previously I wanted to maximize my use of barrage on CD and maintain vulnerable as much as possible, but started wondering if, instead, I should also be using marked show on CD as well. I just want to improve my feel. 

I appreciate your feedback -

if you follow this in its entirety, you will maximize Vulnerable benefit for your Aimed Shots by maximizing the focus available for each Vulnerable as much as possible, and spending as much of it on Aimed Shots during Vulnerable as possible.

1a4DLcS.png

Guest Yrina

Could you please link pawn string please Azor?

hi

great guide, 1 more question, is there such a thing as wasting Marking Targets procs by not using them instantly? you said earlier that it's totally viable to take advantage of the 2 Aimed Shots when you have Vulnerable up from the Marked Shot with Martking Targets proc'ed again as well UNLESS you have 2 Sidewinders charges. is there no downside to not spending the proc asap?

thanks

Guest Binkya

Dear Azortharion,

Firstly thank you for all the effort you spend to help us all and write those good guides! I wanted to ask if you can maybe send or share your updated simcraft rotation?

11 hours ago, timoseewho said:

hi

great guide, 1 more question, is there such a thing as wasting Marking Targets procs by not using them instantly? you said earlier that it's totally viable to take advantage of the 2 Aimed Shots when you have Vulnerable up from the Marked Shot with Martking Targets proc'ed again as well UNLESS you have 2 Sidewinders charges. is there no downside to not spending the proc asap?

thanks

It is possible, but quite unlikely since the chance of getting another proc so shortly after your initial one is extremely small.

Guest Binkya

Azortharion,

Thank you for your answer! I have another question. I have Kihra's upgraded ilvl 725 and Chipped Soul Prism and Stone of the Elements. Should I use on normal bosses Kihra's and Chipped or Kihra's and Stone of the Elements? Cause I see most people using Kihra's+ Stone of the Elements, but your ranking list says I can better use Chipped Soul Prism next to it. On Demon Bosses its also just Kihra's and Heirloom trinket right?

Guest Ðaxx

Anyone who can help me with a String to Track Vulnerable? :)

Guest Dienekes

In the Pawn paste data, the stats are listed in reverse of what is listed as the guide. On the guide, mastery is top after AGI, in the rawdata, Crit is top with Mastery being last.

Are you sure you're looking at the right Pawn string? This is the string to be looking at:

1. ( Pawn: v1: "Azor-Marksmanship": CritRating=0.71, Agility=1, HasteRating=0.73, MasteryRating=0.97, Versatility=0.72, Dps=3.24, RangedDps=3.24 )

Which lists Agi >= Mastery > Haste >=Vers >= Crit for Marksmanship.