FORUMS
Damien

Fire Mage 7.3

Guest Blayke

If Conflagration procs and spreads damage to other targets, do those affected targets also get an ignite on them, or just the actual contact damage?  If not, are there any other ways besides Flamestrike to spread ignite damage?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to make sure I use Cinderstorm primarily on (maybe exclusively) on targets that have ignite on them for the 30% damage, as I can see how this could be quite strong in aoe situations. 

The problem, of course, is that while Cinderstorm itself puts an ignite on everything it hits, the ignite debuff only lasts nine seconds, and since Cinderstorm is itself on a nine second cd, ignite would be over by the time it's back off cd.

So in order to use it effectively, I'm hoping that there is some way to make sure the ignite buff is already present when I cast Cinderstorm.

And yes, I realize it may not be optimal compared to Kindling, and I will probably switch when we get serious about raiding, but DAMN! it just looks so cool, so I want to get it out of my system while we're still in 7.0  :)

On 7/23/2016 at 1:15 PM, manofthelaw3 said:

what's the preference between the frostwolf enchant and thunderlord enchant since they both offer crit now?

Nomenclature. Whatever sounds more rad to you.

4 hours ago, Guest Blayke said:

If Conflagration procs and spreads damage to other targets, do those affected targets also get an ignite on them, or just the actual contact damage?  If not, are there any other ways besides Flamestrike to spread ignite damage?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to make sure I use Cinderstorm primarily on (maybe exclusively) on targets that have ignite on them for the 30% damage, as I can see how this could be quite strong in aoe situations. 

The problem, of course, is that while Cinderstorm itself puts an ignite on everything it hits, the ignite debuff only lasts nine seconds, and since Cinderstorm is itself on a nine second cd, ignite would be over by the time it's back off cd.

So in order to use it effectively, I'm hoping that there is some way to make sure the ignite buff is already present when I cast Cinderstorm.

And yes, I realize it may not be optimal compared to Kindling, and I will probably switch when we get serious about raiding, but DAMN! it just looks so cool, so I want to get it out of my system while we're still in 7.0  :)

Ignite spreads itself, as detailed in the Spell Summary section. Flamestrike, Cinderstorm, and Meteor are the only spells that apply Ignite via AoE.

Guest Muramasaelf

One thing I noticed is it is stated that Shimmer is the same as Blink except for the GCD and two charges, but shimmer doesn't break you from all stuns and bonds either. Just something to keep in mind on certain fights.

Guest Blayke
7 hours ago, Furty said:

Ignite spreads itself, as detailed in the Spell Summary section.

Oh balls.   I somehow missed that.  Well, sorry for the noob-ass question, and thanks for the quick reply anyway. :)

Guest Guest Subcut

Hi Furty

Lovely guide, thank you.

In the section about Pyro fishing, is it worth pointing out to returning players that it is no longer possible to secure a further Heating Up whilst Hot Streak remains active; this was formerly the method used to secure multiple instacast-pyros (I appreciate less important now that Combustion has changed).

Best wishes

5 minutes ago, Guest Guest Subcut said:

Hi Furty

Lovely guide, thank you.

In the section about Pyro fishing, is it worth pointing out to returning players that it is no longer possible to secure a further Heating Up whilst Hot Streak remains active; this was formerly the method used to secure multiple instacast-pyros (I appreciate less important now that Combustion has changed).

Best wishes

Maybe I could make a note so that returning Fire Mages aren't confused.

Guest ninesz

hi furty,

thanks for the guide, much appreciated.

what do you think is the best race for fire mages on the alliance side right now? i'm rolling alliance in legion and don't really know what to choose :P.

thanks in advance

58 minutes ago, Guest ninesz said:

hi furty,

thanks for the guide, much appreciated.

what do you think is the best race for fire mages on the alliance side right now? i'm rolling alliance in legion and don't really know what to choose :P.

thanks in advance

Dwarf or Human are both fantastic.

In the case where both the Pyroblast and the Fireball are landing at the "same" time, I sometimes lose a Heating Up buff because one lands slightly before the other (and is a crit generating a Heating Up buff), but the second is not (and thus clears the Heating Up buff.)

Is this just a fact of life, or is there some means where the player can ensure they land literally at the exact same time and neither is able to undo the crit from the other? 

On 7/30/2016 at 8:38 PM, briala said:

In the case where both the Pyroblast and the Fireball are landing at the "same" time, I sometimes lose a Heating Up buff because one lands slightly before the other (and is a crit generating a Heating Up buff), but the second is not (and thus clears the Heating Up buff.)

Is this just a fact of life, or is there some means where the player can ensure they land literally at the exact same time and neither is able to undo the crit from the other? 

There is a 0.5s grace period where Heating Up won't be canceled by other spell impacts, so this can't happen if they're truly being cast at the same time.

Guest Faipies

Idont quite get this part:

If Fire Blast Icon Fire Blast is on cooldown when Heating Up Icon Heating Up activates, there are a few options available to you. If there are only a few seconds on the cooldown of Fire Blast Icon Fire Blast, you can use the downtime to cast defensive spells

...when heating up activates im already halfway through casting my next fireball, am i not? i cant imagine its beneficial to cancel the cast and wait like 1-2 more seconds for the fireblast to come off cooldown? That would mean ive wasted like 3-4 seconds doing nothing (except for barrier/repositioning). as a DPSer this goes against what ive learned so far :/

7 hours ago, Guest Faipies said:

Idont quite get this part:

If Fire Blast Icon Fire Blast is on cooldown when Heating Up Icon Heating Up activates, there are a few options available to you. If there are only a few seconds on the cooldown of Fire Blast Icon Fire Blast, you can use the downtime to cast defensive spells

...when heating up activates im already halfway through casting my next fireball, am i not? i cant imagine its beneficial to cancel the cast and wait like 1-2 more seconds for the fireblast to come off cooldown? That would mean ive wasted like 3-4 seconds doing nothing (except for barrier/repositioning). as a DPSer this goes against what ive learned so far :/

Depends on the scenario, that's why there are a few options. Obviously if it's a fight like Mythic Zakuun you're going to cross your fingers but if it's a fight like Mythic Archimonde it might be a different story.

Guest gnube

The rotation suggests casting fireblast after heating up.  The problem is that heating up doesn't trigger until the spell hits and crits the target.  So, unless you are right on top of the target, you have to wait until your fireball hits before you start casting a spell.  In this case, should you create a macro for fireblast that interrupts currently casting spell and casts fireblast?

Guest Comb4tchuck
1 hour ago, Guest gnube said:

The rotation suggests casting fireblast after heating up.  The problem is that heating up doesn't trigger until the spell hits and crits the target.  So, unless you are right on top of the target, you have to wait until your fireball hits before you start casting a spell.  In this case, should you create a macro for fireblast that interrupts currently casting spell and casts fireblast?

You can start casting another fireball immediately and if the first fireball crits you can still cast fire blast as it can be cast while casting another spell. If that makes sense...

23 hours ago, Guest gnube said:

Fire Blast is off the global cooldown, meaning it can be cast during other spellcasts.

Guest Bookends-Guest

Living Bomb IconLiving Bomb is the strongest choice on heavy AoE where your target will live for enough time for the bombs to spread.

This seems like a strange thing, to me, because I've played around with Living Bomb in the new patch, and it appears to explode and spread if the target dies before the time is up. I'm not sure if this is a mistake, or merely an oddly-phrased way to say something else.

also,

You should avoid casting Scorch IconScorch, as it is extremely weak and cannot be used to "Pyro Fish".

I'm not sure what this means, because I use it to Pyro Fish all the time. Because it's got a very short cast time, and its critical strikes definitely cause Heating Up and Hot Streak, I find that squeezing one in during the few seconds Fire Blast is coming off cooldown often gives me another Pyroblast to use.

Guest soze

Hey, i just checked out some of the top rated fire mages in raiding, and saw that most of them dont have more than like 23-28% crit? Is that really better? I thought that you would need to really go hardcore in crit and go to like 40-50'ish %? Could somebody please answer and say why its better/if its better with that low crit chance. Thank you in advance. 

On 8/6/2016 at 3:29 PM, Guest Bookends-Guest said:

I'm not sure what this means, because I use it to Pyro Fish all the time. Because it's got a very short cast time, and its critical strikes definitely cause Heating Up and Hot Streak, I find that squeezing one in during the few seconds Fire Blast is coming off cooldown often gives me another Pyroblast to use.

Pyro fishing is casting a Pyroblast and a Fireball at the same time to potentially generate another instant Pyroblast. Scorch cannot do that because it is instant cast. Currently the only time you should use Scorch is in place of Fireball during Combustion.

On 8/9/2016 at 0:17 PM, Guest soze said:

Hey, i just checked out some of the top rated fire mages in raiding, and saw that most of them dont have more than like 23-28% crit? Is that really better? I thought that you would need to really go hardcore in crit and go to like 40-50'ish %? Could somebody please answer and say why its better/if its better with that low crit chance. Thank you in advance. 

I haven't noticed that trend, to who specifically are you referring? Remember that looking at a page like an armory won't display all the additional baseline Critical Strike Fire gets from sources like Molten Armor.

Guest dekkard

On the viable trinket choices - what about the Orb of Voidsight ?

Guest OMGitsboss

On live Unstable MagicUnstable Magic currently gives fireball a 25% chance to explode on impact, not 30% as stated in "8. Tier 6 Talents". I guess this was nerfed after beta.

On 8/15/2016 at 6:13 AM, Guest dekkard said:

On the viable trinket choices - what about the Orb of Voidsight ?

It's an option of Demon fights but without above average RNG it's not as good as the listed trinkets.

Guest errday

Will Rotation be affected by the new Honor Talents? seeing some of the new talents like Firestarter definitely gives more incentive to cast fireball more than other abilities.

Guest dragonsBreath

In the Opening I saw that Dragons Breath is listed as very important. Why would I waste a GC on Dragonsbreath. It doesnt even have a 40 yard range. Seems a bit useless to caste it unless there is something right in front of someone. And well Mages tend to be at mage range or something like 30 yards. I dont know any mage who is 10 yards away from the boss.

Guest dragonsBreath

i couldnt change my last post. I ment max range not mage range.