FORUMS
Damien

Fire Mage 7.3

Guest June

Thanks Kimblee ^^ I´ll  be sure to try it out.

It also depends on the gear I suppose, but there isn t really anything except from farming I can do about that.

:3

I normally use Ask Mr Robot for gearing decisions but they changed how they weight stats from normalized to dps per point of the stat and I was wondering if you could provide a recommended numbers to use.

Guest BetterthanKimblee
On 2016-09-06 at 8:31 AM, Guest Kimblee said:

I dont see the issue tbh...maybe i have just been lucky every single dungeon. But full clearing heroics with guildies that are more geared than I am I am constantly top 2 on the charts with that first spot not being very far behind. I am at 820 ilvl with a 41% crit chance and am constantly pulling around 250k dps even with the fall off after the opener. My opener puts me at around 380k-420k...ive even had a great chain of crits multiple times that put me over 500k dps...are you guys sure you are doing the rotation properly and after opener using ur spells properly as well? Ive only cleared 2 mythics and still stay competitive on the charts...are you all fishing for first proc...open with combust>fireball till proc(unless first combust gave it)>fire blast>RoP>combust>pyro>fire blast>pyro>flame on>fire blast>pyro>fire blast>pyro>phoenix>pyro>phoenix>pyro...thats not including LB or cinder. That opener alone should put u at over 250k dps.

You're lying. I'm pulling 380 - 400k dps with my burst if I have a hot streak ready before the boss fight and get a bit lucky and using my trinket properly (Moonlit Prism) and I'm sitting at 845 iLvl with 2 gold traits in my wep. And your burst rotation is not counting in rune of power, so I'm guessing you're not using that, and you still want us to believe you burst for 380-420k? Please man.

Furty,  after you've spent everything on burst and Phoenix Flames, Fire Blast, Flame On, and Combustion are on cooldown, how should our rotation proceed? I can burst well, as you explained how to, but sustaining damage after the burst is a problem... I'm not sure what to do. I'm just throwing random spells as they come off cooldown. Should I just cast fireball until I can burst again?

Guest betterthankimblee
9 hours ago, Sibelius said:

Furty,  after you've spent everything on burst and Phoenix Flames, Fire Blast, Flame On, and Combustion are on cooldown, how should our rotation proceed? I can burst well, as you explained how to, but sustaining damage after the burst is a problem... I'm not sure what to do. I'm just throwing random spells as they come off cooldown. Should I just cast fireball until I can burst again?

Keep using rune of power, keep one up when combust is on 40 sec CD (or 1ish minute if using kindling) and just fish for proccs, there's not much to it really, gear makes the difference, and the uptime of casting your spells, if you're losing dps it might be cause you're running around like a headless chicken dodging abilities, try to use Ice Floes efficiently and if you're using shimmer blink out of shit safely whilst still casting.

Guest errors in the guide

there are 2 things you got wrong in your guide.

1. blink does break stuns while shimmer does not

2. there is a difference between spells that are off the global cooldown and spells that are castable while casting. counterspell for example ignores the gcd but will cancel other spellcasts when used

Thanks for the notes on the Shimmer issue in the guide guys. We'll make sure it's looked at and updated! 

Guest Vigen

I need some help about my artifact traits, since I seem to have f...ed up pretty hard.

https://gyazo.com/bd7c05f7a0021f922b9dc7a2a395407d

For any reason I went for Aftershocks first. I have enough artifact power for another level, so as you can see I am able to get Phoenix Reborn as well. But the best trait, Pyretic Incantation, Im pretty far away from. I'm wondering if I should use the 24k points on a reset instead of PR since PI seems a lot better and Aftershocks pretty bad (not bad, but I feel I am using pyroblast way more than flamestrike). If I'm not mistaken I will then have PI instead of Aftershock and one point on Everburning Consumption (so three points away from PR). This because I then only will have 3 points on Pyroclasmic Paranoia and Great Balls of fire since thats where I have my relic, which I got after I placed my points. But I'm not sure if this is worth it, PI seems pretty powerful but on the other hand two golden might be way better than "1,5". What do you suggest? 

On my fire mage, I'm sitting at:

Crit: 41%

Haste: 12%

Mastery: 18%

Vers: 4%

What should these numbers be?

Edited by Sibelius
Adjusted stats

On 9/10/2016 at 2:26 AM, Guest BetterthanKimblee said:

You're lying. I'm pulling 380 - 400k dps with my burst if I have a hot streak ready before the boss fight and get a bit lucky and using my trinket properly (Moonlit Prism) and I'm sitting at 845 iLvl with 2 gold traits in my wep. And your burst rotation is not counting in rune of power, so I'm guessing you're not using that, and you still want us to believe you burst for 380-420k? Please man.

Man - i'm sorry, but he is probably telling the truth. Look at the image I attached.

At iLvl 842 i'm pushing above 650k dps opening burst with gnawed ring and rune of power. That's only with 50% crit. That's only one gold trait (1 away from second), 

Untitled.png

Edited by prom3theu5

Guest Mike Hunter

I have got a problem: I have around 45% crit in my gear but my pyroblast procs are simply not chaining in the numbers necessary.

Maybe it s my cast or something but they simply don t come as frequent as it is described in the guide.

Furthermore @prom3theu5

can you maybe tell me exactly your rotation ? I am not too far from your stats and think that it might simply be my talentchoices and or rotation...

On 9/13/2016 at 2:43 AM, Guest Vigen said:

I need some help about my artifact traits, since I seem to have f...ed up pretty hard.

https://gyazo.com/bd7c05f7a0021f922b9dc7a2a395407d

For any reason I went for Aftershocks first. I have enough artifact power for another level, so as you can see I am able to get Phoenix Reborn as well. But the best trait, Pyretic Incantation, Im pretty far away from. I'm wondering if I should use the 24k points on a reset instead of PR since PI seems a lot better and Aftershocks pretty bad (not bad, but I feel I am using pyroblast way more than flamestrike). If I'm not mistaken I will then have PI instead of Aftershock and one point on Everburning Consumption (so three points away from PR). This because I then only will have 3 points on Pyroclasmic Paranoia and Great Balls of fire since thats where I have my relic, which I got after I placed my points. But I'm not sure if this is worth it, PI seems pretty powerful but on the other hand two golden might be way better than "1,5". What do you suggest? 

I would respec.

Guest Bemular
On 14.9.2016 at 1:00 AM, prom3theu5 said:

Man - i'm sorry, but he is probably telling the truth. Look at the image I attached.

At iLvl 842 i'm pushing above 650k dps opening burst with gnawed ring and rune of power. That's only with 50% crit. That's only one gold trait (1 away from second), 

Untitled.png

Is this vs single target or against training dummies with splash damage / ignite? Can we see the target(s)  and spell damage contribution? 

On 14.9.2016 at 1:00 AM, prom3theu5 said:

As Bemular has said above, this screenshot doesn't really show us much.

Can you show us the further detailed portions of your damage counter?

• Which enemies were damaged?
  • What spells did how much damage?
  • A snapshot of your artifact weapon
  • Your gear

I'm not saying you have done this, but this could just as easily be you hitting a level 90 training dummy and we wouldn't know the difference.

Guest cpljaide

I have 844 GS and 56% crit since u just find crit items except Suramar Dungeons...

Can some1 tell me when u should "switch" to Mastery? Should i put in Mastery Gems and Enchants with 56% Crit or just get Crit on everything? ^^

13 minutes ago, Guest cpljaide said:

I have 844 GS and 56% crit since u just find crit items except Suramar Dungeons...

Can some1 tell me when u should "switch" to Mastery? Should i put in Mastery Gems and Enchants with 56% Crit or just get Crit on everything? ^^

I don't think you do make that switch from Crit to Mastery, mainly due to Pyretic IncantationPyretic Incantation. It makes crit still very viable at high levels of gear.

Guest cpljaide

So i should almost get 60% Crit with 3 Gems on my Gear + Enchants... that sick! :D

Sadly i would like to play  some Frost, but its impossible to overcome Fire AOE... and AOE is needed atm. >_>

• Like 1

Sure thing.

I'll add a breakdown of the casts and damage tomorrow.

I use 1,1,2,2,1,2,1 as talents (from top to bottom)

Rune of power, cast Fireball, as soon as it is about to cast, hit combustion and ring (ignore ring if you dont have), then immediately flameblast, as fireball hits, pyro procs then it's just fishing. Fire blast, pyro, phoenix, pyro, flame on, fireblast, pyro (watch it cause sometimes pyromaniac kicks in giving you free pyros, do not miss these and overlap a flame blast / phoenix as its a numbers hit).
Second rune of power now usually, leaving two phoenix left if you have to use both, I do. Usually you will have one charge flame blast. use this, then flame on to get two back. Filling pyros as they are fished.

Edited by prom3theu5

On July 19, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Furty said:

Noteworthy but not nearly enough to push it ahead for speed of leveling. Generally you want talents that give you the highest pack-to-pack damage, whereas Mirror Image is more of a burst talent.

I have a question about your answer to the Mirror image question and maybe just a general question about your leveling advice. I'm starting to think I've been "maging" all wrong. 

First, I'm not clear about what you mean by pack to pack. Does this mean you are attacking large packs consistently when leveling? I play solo, 99% of the time, and to be honest, I can't stay alive for very long if I'm generating threat for large groups one right after another. I had the same question when reading advice about flamestrike. Typically, if I aggro a group of mobs, the are moving toward me and flamestrike is not effective. And as far as the mirror image question goes, in the past I've used it as a "oh c&@p" button when dealing with large groups or multiple elites. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Edited by Whiskey
Spelling

12 hours ago, prom3theu5 said:

I'll add a breakdown of the casts and damage tomorrow.

Looking forward to checking it all out!

9 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I have a question about your answer to the Mirror image question and maybe just a general question about your leveling advice. I'm starting to think I've been "maging" all wrong. 

First, I'm not clear about what you mean by pack to pack. Does this mean you are attacking large packs consistently when leveling? I play solo, 99% of the time, and to be honest, I can't stay alive for very long if I'm generating threat for large groups one right after another. I had the same question when reading advice about flamestrike. Typically, if I aggro a group of mobs, the are moving toward me and flamestrike is not effective. And as far as the mirror image question goes, in the past I've used it as a "oh c&@p" button when dealing with large groups or multiple elites. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Pack to pack doesn't necessarily mean large packs of mobs. It means damage that you can sustain, rather than having a lot of damage for one mob and very little for the next 5.

You can level by pulling only a few mobs, it's fine. You don't need to aggro 15 mobs every time.

Mirror Image does have it's useful moments, but I'd say those moments are far outweighed by the rest of the time spent levelling. In honesty, it's personal preference. It's not going to be impossible to level with Mirror Image.

• Like 1

Guest Truedebt

I am quite comfortable with my mage in the sence of rotation and knowledge of the class, yet I see myself in mythic dungeons with more than undesirable dps. On Bosses I manage to keep barely around 250k, have got enough crit and gear as well as knowledge of the rotation but everytime it keeps dropping and dropping. It is fairly hard to keep up the dps and from falling lower sometimes i even get down to 200 at the end before I can start another burn phase.

How do you really fill in the time after the first combustion ? I am using runes and phenix flames ?

Is it maybe because of special trinkets or relics ?

Guest slavBorris

@Truedebt

much of the current mage dmg comes from crits and the dots which are held up through mastery.

But honestly at the moment mages, like in all addons, are at the beginning relatively weak in comparison to hunters, dh´s and monks. Destro wl isn´t to bad either, but get left behind as well.

With the gear from raids later on mages will over come the meeles and if you hold close to int, crit and mastery you should be relatively felxible.

With mage especially you should mind mastery as much as crit and gear really really matters.

On 9/18/2016 at 0:21 AM, Guest Truedebt said:

I am quite comfortable with my mage in the sence of rotation and knowledge of the class, yet I see myself in mythic dungeons with more than undesirable dps. On Bosses I manage to keep barely around 250k, have got enough crit and gear as well as knowledge of the rotation but everytime it keeps dropping and dropping. It is fairly hard to keep up the dps and from falling lower sometimes i even get down to 200 at the end before I can start another burn phase.

How do you really fill in the time after the first combustion ? I am using runes and phenix flames ?

Is it maybe because of special trinkets or relics ?

In order to properly help with this, I'd suggest making a thread over in our Mage forum and post a log of your DPS in there. I can take a proper look and offer advice.