FORUMS
Damien

Fire Mage 7.3

On 8/18/2016 at 10:51 AM, Guest dragonsBreath said:

In the Opening I saw that Dragons Breath is listed as very important. Why would I waste a GC on Dragonsbreath. It doesnt even have a 40 yard range. Seems a bit useless to caste it unless there is something right in front of someone. And well Mages tend to be at mage range or something like 30 yards. I dont know any mage who is 10 yards away from the boss.

Obviously you don't cast the spell if you're not in range ... there isn't much reason to be in ranged currently in HFC and as Dragon's Breath has been a significant part of the Mage rotation for the last 13 months this shouldn't be anything new to an experienced mage player.

22 hours ago, Guest Scorch said:

Scorch isn't an instant cast actually.

Where does it say it is?

Guest Scorch
On 14/08/2016 at 6:32 PM, Furty said:

Pyro fishing is casting a Pyroblast and a Fireball at the same time to potentially generate another instant Pyroblast. Scorch cannot do that because it is instant cast. Currently the only time you should use Scorch is in place of Fireball during Combustion.

7 minutes ago, Guest Scorch said:

Oh, I phrased that poorly. What I meant was that it has no travel time, i.e. instant impact.

Guest Gunz

is there any way i could get the pawn stat weights for fire in 7.0.3, theres the string for it in most of the other class guides, or is there something big changing when legion lands that´ll change the values from this pre-patch?

Guest Inumel
2 hours ago, Guest Gunz said:

is there any way i could get the pawn stat weights for fire in 7.0.3, theres the string for it in most of the other class guides, or is there something big changing when legion lands that´ll change the values from this pre-patch?

Agreed, I would also like this.

Guest Szenko

In hotfix 7.0.3 they decreased the multiplier on Critical Mass from 1.3 to 1.1 but added +5% critical strike chance to Fire mages.

Does it change the stat priority?

10 hours ago, Guest Szenko said:

In hotfix 7.0.3 they decreased the multiplier on Critical Mass from 1.3 to 1.1 but added +5% critical strike chance to Fire mages.

Does it change the stat priority?

Resimming etc. as we speak. Updates will be in the Legion version of the guide coming later in the week. Unlikely to change stat priority - looking like a buff at ~840 ilvl but a scaling nerf (probably a nerf at 880 ilvl).

I see fire mages stacking Crit and haste, as the top 2 priority stats, i thought it was crit mastery or am i mistaken ?

26 minutes ago, Zendalf said:

I see fire mages stacking Crit and haste, as the top 2 priority stats, i thought it was crit mastery or am i mistaken ?

Can you elaborate? Who, where, etc.

Well in my guild, we have been doing loads of HFC obviously :D. We are 2 mages in this guild me and the other one, so when items drop he always goes for items with Crit and Haste over Crit and Mastery, for all situations, all fights so im just wondering like does the general dps get better this Crit Haste over Crit Mastery

2 minutes ago, Zendalf said:

Well in my guild, we have been doing loads of HFC obviously :D. We are 2 mages in this guild me and the other one, so when items drop he always goes for items with Crit and Haste over Crit and Mastery, for all situations, all fights so im just wondering like does the general dps get better this Crit Haste over Crit Mastery

Oh, in that case he's probably just doing it wrong.

5 minutes ago, Furty said:

Can you elaborate? Who, where, etc.

Just now, Furty said:

Oh, in that case he's probably just doing it wrong.

Alrighty, you never know. Thanks for the help :)

Guest One last thing

I still have one question though with the understanding maybe:

So I did everything in the guid and I think I maybe already got the "Pyro fishing" by casting fireball, waiting for the crits to spark, then doing a Hot streak by transforming the heating up with fire blast, then waiting for the firebal to cast and then pressing pyro blast so both land on the target at the same time and crit, making the pyro fishing possible. But sometimes it doesn t crit so I have to start over, is this normal ? How many top chains do you usually get, not that I am doing anything wrong...

16 hours ago, Guest One last thing said:

I still have one question though with the understanding maybe:

So I did everything in the guid and I think I maybe already got the "Pyro fishing" by casting fireball, waiting for the crits to spark, then doing a Hot streak by transforming the heating up with fire blast, then waiting for the firebal to cast and then pressing pyro blast so both land on the target at the same time and crit, making the pyro fishing possible. But sometimes it doesn t crit so I have to start over, is this normal ? How many top chains do you usually get, not that I am doing anything wrong...

Yeah that's normal. As I answered earlier in the comments, if only 1 of them crits there is a 0.5s grace period where your heating up won't be canceled by another spell, so two spells hitting and only 1 critting isn't an issue. 

Guest No last thing

Ah ok, then I am apparently doing it right and actually it is working quite well, I just needed some more crits in my stats and now it s working perfectly. Thx =)

5 hours ago, Furty said:

Yeah that's normal. As I answered earlier in the comments, if only 1 of them crits there is a 0.5s grace period where your heating up won't be canceled by another spell, so two spells hitting and only 1 critting isn't an issue. 

when i cast fire bolt or just any spell that causes ignite , it doesnt seem to combie the ignite to old ignite it seems that it just replaces it am i just dumb or what

1 hour ago, zanpander said:

when i cast fire bolt or just any spell that causes ignite , it doesnt seem to combie the ignite to old ignite it seems that it just replaces it am i just dumb or what

How do you know it replaces it? What are you tracking ignite with that you can see the values aren't combined?

Hi, ive got a question regarding combustion cd with kindling and flame on. so after the initial burst, sometimes im in this situation where combustion still has ~30 seconds or so left on it, and the time is optimal for using flame on (aka im out of fireblasts) do i use flame on to  get my fireblasts so i can turn heating up to hotstreak or save it for combustion or use it and just delay the combustion instead ? 

not 100% sure if the above explains the scenario or not let me know if you dont quite understand it ill try to explain it better.

PS thanks for all your guides they are very helpful.

Edited by mysteryoflyf
forgot to say thanks <3

Hello Furty, i have a question regarding our rotation. When you go pyro fishing, and both the fireball and the pyroblast crits, you get hot streak. The question is, should i use that hot streak immediately or should i recast fireball and launch them together for another chance of pyro fishing?

4 hours ago, mysteryoflyf said:

Hi, ive got a question regarding combustion cd with kindling and flame on. so after the initial burst, sometimes im in this situation where combustion still has ~30 seconds or so left on it, and the time is optimal for using flame on (aka im out of fireblasts) do i use flame on to  get my fireblasts so i can turn heating up to hotstreak or save it for combustion or use it and just delay the combustion instead ? 

not 100% sure if the above explains the scenario or not let me know if you dont quite understand it ill try to explain it better.

PS thanks for all your guides they are very helpful.

Hey! From what I've seen in the class Discord, you should always save Flame On for Combustion. Using it outside of Combustion can result in a DPS loss if you don't have it on Combustion; delaying Combustion isn't good since you take Kindling to have your Combustion sooner.

Guest Hey

Lof of good infos in here thanks a lot.

So with the recent changes are most of the mages still going for leveling/3 weeks pre-raid/raid opening as fire or frost catching up

Can someone explain me a little bit ( didnt have a chance to test the beta at all ) how you add Phoenix flames in your rotation ? be it opening or usual rotation , ST or pack , would be nice :)

Great guide! Really helped me getting a deeper understanding of the glorious spec fire is. I have one question though I haven't been able to find an answer neither in this guide, in the comments or on Altered-time.

The question is regarding the Tier-90 Talents. Now on pure single-target fights, if such exist in Legion, Unstable Magic is the go-to talent, which makes perfect sense. But when do I switch to Living Bomb or Flame Patch, and how do I chose between those two? I know that mobs have to be stationary for Flame Patch to work, but since Living Bomb also needs to spread for it to be worth anything, the same thing applies to this talent as with Flame Patch right?

I'm sorry if my way of expressing myself is confusing. What I would love know is if there is a rule of thumb when choosing between the above mentioned talents, or if Flame Patch/ Living Bomb is always better on X-amounts of mobs.

Thanks you so much for the guide. 

5 hours ago, Hald said:

Great guide! Really helped me getting a deeper understanding of the glorious spec fire is. I have one question though I haven't been able to find an answer neither in this guide, in the comments or on Altered-time.

The question is regarding the Tier-90 Talents. Now on pure single-target fights, if such exist in Legion, Unstable Magic is the go-to talent, which makes perfect sense. But when do I switch to Living Bomb or Flame Patch, and how do I chose between those two? I know that mobs have to be stationary for Flame Patch to work, but since Living Bomb also needs to spread for it to be worth anything, the same thing applies to this talent as with Flame Patch right?

I'm sorry if my way of expressing myself is confusing. What I would love know is if there is a rule of thumb when choosing between the above mentioned talents, or if Flame Patch/ Living Bomb is always better on X-amounts of mobs.

Thanks you so much for the guide. 

It has been said in the Class Discord forum (which contains mostly Altered Time regulars) that UM is good for 1-2 targets and Living Bomb for 3-4. With the recent Flame Patch nerf and without the Archi class trinket in Legion, LB pulls ahead in multitarget.