FORUMS
Damien

Frost Mage 7.3

11 hours ago, Zadina said:

It's from Icy Hand, an Artifact trait.

Thanks! Fifteen points in... hmm. Makes the guide a little difficult to follow for a frost mage about to pick up Ebonchill for the first time.

Assuming a pre-Icy Hand rotation, basically everything in the guide on FoF gets ticked down one, right? Ice Lance at 2, Frost Bomb at 1, Ebonbolt/Frozen Touch at 0?

Guest Drogan

So first I wanted to say my mage is not a my main and not my first choice alt but I do enjoy playing him and usually favor frost.

My reason for posting is not really to start any kind of conflict as I know very little about mages in general, but I did find it curious that I see comments stating fire is better then frost but when I view Simulationcraft's data they show frost as doing way better then fire. Granted this is simulated data, perhaps someone can explain how simcraft says frost is doing far better then fire when most here say fire is still better. 

Again just asking out of curiosity as I do like to keep up on all the classes I play :)

4 hours ago, Guest Drogan said:

So first I wanted to say my mage is not a my main and not my first choice alt but I do enjoy playing him and usually favor frost.

My reason for posting is not really to start any kind of conflict as I know very little about mages in general, but I did find it curious that I see comments stating fire is better then frost but when I view Simulationcraft's data they show frost as doing way better then fire. Granted this is simulated data, perhaps someone can explain how simcraft says frost is doing far better then fire when most here say fire is still better. 

Again just asking out of curiosity as I do like to keep up on all the classes I play :)

Simulation Craft shows how a spec does when played perfectly under ideal conditions, with no movement or raid/dungeon/mob mechanics to deal with, and thus does not translate to in-game reality very well.

15 hours ago, Orthios said:

Simulation Craft shows how a spec does when played perfectly under ideal conditions, with no movement or raid/dungeon/mob mechanics to deal with, and thus does not translate to in-game reality very well.

Thank you for the reply. I had a feeling it was very likely something like this but I do prefer to get it straight from the players then to assume anything. It would be rather nice if Blizzard had a way to collect the active raid data from all raids in order to provide actual statistics on how the classes are doing. Perhaps if they did they could then fine tune them so that there would be almost no difference in dps output making it possible for a person to play the spec they love rather then the one that is providing the best dps. Not that we can't do this anyway I suppose :)

1 hour ago, Drogan46 said:

Thank you for the reply. I had a feeling it was very likely something like this but I do prefer to get it straight from the players then to assume anything. It would be rather nice if Blizzard had a way to collect the active raid data from all raids in order to provide actual statistics on how the classes are doing. Perhaps if they did they could then fine tune them so that there would be almost no difference in dps output making it possible for a person to play the spec they love rather then the one that is providing the best dps. Not that we can't do this anyway I suppose :)

Blizzard does their own statistics tracking, but they keep it private.  Warcraft Logs however, does public statistics tracking for every raid/fight that gets logged and uploaded, so there is some semblance of seeing how a class/spec performs.

Trial of Valor: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/12#difficulty=4&aggregate=amount

Emerald Nightmare: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10#aggregate=amount

Mind that both of these links cover every boss, and if you want to look at a specific boss or difficulty you'll have to change that in the dropdown menus above the graph.

On 11/14/2016 at 3:57 PM, Meowfurion said:

Rune of Power having both a cast time, a positioning requirement, and such a pathetically short duration and a not very impressive buff makes me not want to use it, at all, ever. It's way too much of a hassle especially when boss fights (especially in Heroic and Mythic) require so much dynamic movement.  It may put out higher numbers in theory and sims, but in practical use, it's a yuge hindrance and pain in the arse.   The fluidity and ease of incanter's flow is so much more satisfying to me, personally. 

This is one of those times where understanding and experience of fights probably comes in handy more than ever. Being able to predict the next 10 seconds of movement is huge. It's also worth noting that RoP's radius is actually pretty decent, honestly. You can move around in it as long as you position it to your side, and then just move to the other side of it.

On 11/14/2016 at 7:02 PM, Guest Frost Mage Noob said:

Thank you.  RoP affecting both the storage of icicles and glacial spike itself helps clear up some confusion on the huge variance I have in glacial spike damage.  Knowing this will also help clean up my rotation a bit.

Glad to help! :)

On 11/14/2016 at 10:20 PM, solitha said:

Thanks! Fifteen points in... hmm. Makes the guide a little difficult to follow for a frost mage about to pick up Ebonchill for the first time.

Assuming a pre-Icy Hand rotation, basically everything in the guide on FoF gets ticked down one, right? Ice Lance at 2, Frost Bomb at 1, Ebonbolt/Frozen Touch at 0?

Yes.

This guide is seriously lacking a discussion of Chain Reaction. Getting 60% extra damage on your ice lances is kind of a big deal, and the rotation priority list doesn't even take Chain Reaction into account. Granted, it is a random proc and the 6 second duration makes it difficult to maintain.  But it has a roughly 50% to proc if you're shatter capped, which gives it a lot of uptime. Seems to me that hoping it's up for burst is not going to be as good a strategy as ensuring it's up for burst.

On 11/15/2016 at 0:41 PM, Orthios said:

Blizzard does their own statistics tracking, but they keep it private.  Warcraft Logs however, does public statistics tracking for every raid/fight that gets logged and uploaded, so there is some semblance of seeing how a class/spec performs.

Trial of Valor: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/12#difficulty=4&aggregate=amount

Emerald Nightmare: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10#aggregate=amount

Mind that both of these links cover every boss, and if you want to look at a specific boss or difficulty you'll have to change that in the dropdown menus above the graph.

Ahhh see now this I did not know. Learn something new every day. Thank you for this information I shall have to take a look at this site as it may prove very useful for both playing my mage and my many other characters that I enjoy spending time on :)

I am playing with Glacial Spike build it is better to go for haste/crit or mastery/crit? 

I cant find any info about stat prio for different builds.

Edited by Konttu

On 16.11.2016 at 10:41 PM, Delaredia said:

This guide is seriously lacking a discussion of Chain Reaction. 

Surely, as you have mentioned in your discussion, given that it is a random proc, you can't really ensure it is up for burst. It's also worth noting that, because it is random, by waiting you could be missing additional procs. 

What further discussion would you hope to see in the guide? The more information I get, the more I can give to Furty.

On 17.11.2016 at 11:22 PM, Drogan46 said:

Ahhh see now this I did not know. Learn something new every day. Thank you for this information I shall have to take a look at this site as it may prove very useful for both playing my mage and my many other characters that I enjoy spending time on :)

Definitely. WL is super useful. 

Anyway, I'm glad you got the help you needed!

1 hour ago, Konttu said:

I am playing with Glacial Spike build it is better to go for haste/crit or mastery/crit? 

You would still follow the same priority.

Guest Roshanda
21 hours ago, Konttu said:

i've been playing frost glacial spike build since legion released...and i try to go for mastery/crit. had bursts of over 1.5mil single target with my highest spike beeing 6.1mil. And you can always switch to arcane if things go south with this build. 

On 22.11.2016 at 0:35 PM, Guest Roshanda said:

i've been playing frost glacial spike build since legion released...and i try to go for mastery/crit. had bursts of over 1.5mil single target with my highest spike beeing 6.1mil. And you can always switch to arcane if things go south with this build. 

Surely with faster Frostbolts, you generate faster Glacial Spikes which means more damage? (Looking at Haste vs. Mastery)

Guest Lânsing

Lonely Winter with Glacial Spike grants one of the top dmg casts in full game atm.

Guest haste caps?

so is there an effective haste cap, or should I just be stacking haste to the moon...

On 11/25/2016 at 3:12 PM, Guest Lânsing said:

Lonely Winter with Glacial Spike grants one of the top dmg casts in full game atm.

Yeah, no surprise there, especially if you add RoP too.

On 12/7/2016 at 0:23 AM, Guest haste caps? said:

so is there an effective haste cap, or should I just be stacking haste to the moon...

Stats are slightly more fluid than they were in past expansions. 

Essentially, Haste will be your best stat to a point. That point relies entirely on what your other stat values are. If you have 0% Crit, 0% Vers, 0% Mastery and 120% Haste, you would benefit a lot more from getting some Crit than more Haste. 

SimCraft is the most reliable way to find out whether you are at a point where you need to keep going with Haste or grab some of another stat.

Guest Defir

FFS update the frost mage. you cant even say that its even near whats the thing atm. missing items and the pro players on top tear ARE NOT using this.

1 hour ago, Guest Defir said:

FFS update the frost mage. you cant even say that its even near whats the thing atm. missing items and the pro players on top tear ARE NOT using this.

What do you mean by missing items? What changes would you make? This comment isn't really very useful at all if you can't tell me what you think is wrong. I need information to relay, not "this is bad"

Hello, I'm new to the whole  posting on forums. I usually just read. and after reading a lot of the comments on here I have a few things I wanted to add. I have been playing my mage since the start if bc and the only time I used frost in all that time was for pvp. so leaving my fire spec behind for frost was hard. but was the over all best decision. I have no where close to top lol gear like my shaman but pulling 230-300k consistent dps was shocking  to me. I had the issue with having to stack different stats when I saw you all changed them. though I'm still pulling good numbers with 28% crit, 38%haste and 39% mast. it's been hard to find critical and haste gear to replace my haste mast gear. I also have done my own version spec wise. I have followed your advice spec wise but changed a few things which work for me. I try to follow what you all say but also try to find what works for me. that's the best advice I can give to anyone on here. This helps a lot but venture off and find your own way. if you have any questions about the spec I use or gear let me know. always happy to help as much as I can. have a good one 

Gingie 

On 12/14/2016 at 5:10 PM, Gingie said:

I try to follow what you all say but also try to find what works for me. that's the best advice I can give to anyone on here.

This is always best. If something really doesn't work for you, just change it. Please feel free to post what your current spec is, it might help some people that are struggling with grasping our current setup :)

The guides are currently being updated for 7.1.5! I just wanted to leave a few notes for all of our users that might be getting ready to leave a comment:

• Some pages do not require updates. The "Last Updated" stat does not mean the page is out of date, it might just not have needed any changes. If you feel that it does, leave a comment telling us what needs changing and why.
  • The process will not happen immediately - some guides will be updated faster than others simply due to the number of resources available. Be patient, they'll be ready when you need them!
  • There might be some continuity errors when making small adjustments to large guide pages. If you do find one of these, just let us know in the comments and we'll get it fixed ASAP.
  • "Why have you not taken into account X buff to X ability?" - remember, just because something got buffed, it doesn't mean it is now automatically better than the other options!

As always, we want to thank you all for being patient while we get things updated and I'm always available to help you all if you need it :)