FORUMS
Damien

Frost Mage 7.3

On 8/15/2017 at 0:33 AM, Tesel said:

How does Ice Time work with T20 4-set? I'd guess that it's pretty strong on M+ farming and large AoE packs, since you'd throw out quite a decent amount of orbs.

Very strong on AoE, possibly even more so with 4 piece than Journey.

On 8/16/2017 at 9:54 PM, Guest Vyro said:

Will u ever update the legendary section.? ..it so outdated (bracers 4 best...) 

It was updated just after your comment - sorry for the delay! There should be another update as needed for when 7.3 releases next week :)

Guest Vyro
3 hours ago, Blainie said:

It was updated just after your comment - sorry for the delay! There should be another update as needed for when 7.3 releases next week :)

I just checked on this guide once again and saw there is reply to my post. So I went to the legendary section and checked what changed. Now I am a bit confused because I don't see a lot of changes there. Either way the side it kind of buggy on my iPhone (happens to the drop-boxes in the rotation section all the time) in which case u can ignore every critic continue with....

Well please correct me if I am wrong but overall I thought the mage-community agrees on the guidance that you should run with 2xt19 and 4xt20 if you go with TV, the best dps combination for single target that there is for that is Bracers + Shard  (Kuni wears that aswell) .

I think that should be pointed out at some point in a class guide....

If I would be totally unexperienced and read this guide, i would run with my gloves/shard because here is still written : 

Lady Vashj's Grasp Icon Lady Vashj's Grasp causes you to gain 1 charge of Fingers of Frost Icon Fingers of Frost every 10 seconds while Icy Veins Icon Icy Veinsis active. Overall, this is the third best legendary for Frost when combined with Thermal Void Icon Thermal Void.

Magtheridon's Banished Bracers Icon Magtheridon's Banished Bracers causes your Ice Lance IconIce Lance to increase the damage of your Ice Lance Icon Ice Lances by 3% for 8 seconds, stacking up to 6 times. Not far behind Lady Vashj's Grasp Icon Lady Vashj's Grasp, and good legendary for single target. Falls behind on multi target but great on 2 targets. This is fourth best for single target.

On 8/24/2017 at 8:10 AM, Guest Vyro said:

I just checked on this guide once again and saw there is reply to my post. So I went to the legendary section and checked what changed. Now I am a bit confused because I don't see a lot of changes there. Either way the side it kind of buggy on my iPhone (happens to the drop-boxes in the rotation section all the time) in which case u can ignore every critic continue with....

I've just looked through the changes myself - The bracers do need to be placed higher, it most likely should be shard/bracers listed as the BiS for pretty much every ToS fight. I'll see what's planned for 7.3 and then ask for an update if needed after the new info comes up.

We are currently in the process of updating all guides as required for the 7.3 release. Please be patient as we make the necessary changes. You can keep an eye on the changelog to know if the guide has been updated or not. 

This guide has now been updated for the 7.3 patch. If you have any questions or comments, you can always ask them here. If you find any errors in the new changes to the guide, let me know and I'll get the writers to update it ASAP.

Good luck in the Shadows of Argus!

Thanks for the updates!

Could @Furty review the AoE uses of Cone of Cold since it was buffed back in Patch 7.2.5 to do 180% SP damage vs Frostbolt 205% SP?

Will the gear lists be updated again before next raid releases?

5 hours ago, Archimage said:

Thanks for the updates!

Could @Furty review the AoE uses of Cone of Cold since it was buffed back in Patch 7.2.5 to do 180% SP damage vs Frostbolt 205% SP?

Will the gear lists be updated again before next raid releases?

There's a mention of it in the rotation section, but for it to be a DPS increase it takes roughly 18-20 targets. It can also serve as a DPS increase on cleave if you are in range and have to move. 

Gear will be updated, yes. :) 

• Like 1

Guest Ish

The rotation is messing with my brain, first, some people told me that in the event Brain freeze proc, I should first dump my finger of frost, THEN use flurry->Ice lance, but your priority list does not suggest that if I am not wrong.

Second, I have a hard time wrapping my head about the remark on the use of Ebonbold while already having a brain freeze active, not sure why you would do that, maybe I am misunderstanding that, and finally this part  : "hese combos can chain. For example, if you have Brain Freeze Icon Brain Freeze and then perform the Frostbolt Icon Frostbolt->Flurry Icon Flurry->Ice Lance Icon Ice Lance combo, the chance to proc an additional Brain Freeze Icon Brain Freeze will occur after the Flurry Icon Flurry cast, allowing you to recast the combo (and potentially generate a string of combos) following the Ice Lance Icon Ice Lance."

is very confusing to me, not sure I understand it well, once again, if I have Brain freeze already, why would I cast Frostbold rather than Flurry ?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Guest Ish said:

The rotation is messing with my brain, first, some people told me that in the event Brain freeze proc, I should first dump my finger of frost, THEN use flurry->Ice lance, but your priority list does not suggest that if I am not wrong.

Second, I have a hard time wrapping my head about the remark on the use of Ebonbold while already having a brain freeze active, not sure why you would do that, maybe I am misunderstanding that, and finally this part  : "hese combos can chain. For example, if you have Brain Freeze Icon Brain Freeze and then perform the Frostbolt Icon Frostbolt->Flurry Icon Flurry->Ice Lance Icon Ice Lance combo, the chance to proc an additional Brain Freeze Icon Brain Freeze will occur after the Flurry Icon Flurry cast, allowing you to recast the combo (and potentially generate a string of combos) following the Ice Lance Icon Ice Lance."

is very confusing to me, not sure I understand it well, once again, if I have Brain freeze already, why would I cast Frostbold rather than Flurry ?

Thanks.

"the chance to proc an additional Brain Freeze Icon Brain Freeze will occur after the Flurry Icon Flurry cast,

This is the key bit. You Frostbolt, then consume Brain Freeze on Flurry, and since Frostbolt procs Flurry upon impact it can allow you to perform the combo back to back to back etc. More of an advance thing and less experienced players may not be aware of this interaction, hence why you might have heard differently.

Guest Hypothermia

Hi, what stat weight will I follow when using Glacial Spike? I didn't see anything in the guide except a mention mastery will play a different role with GS. Will Crit still be at 33%? Which stat will I stack haste or mastery? My questions are all about Glacial Spike build. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Guest Hypothermia said:

Hi, what stat weight will I follow when using Glacial Spike? I didn't see anything in the guide except a mention mastery will play a different role with GS. Will Crit still be at 33%? Which stat will I stack haste or mastery? My questions are all about Glacial Spike build. Thanks.

Stat priority is the same, Mastery is just a little higher in value.

Guest Guest

anyone else notice the glacial spike change in 7.3? before you would be able to ice lance right after casting GS and consume the root for an ice lance crit. problem seems to be the animation, the ice lance travels faster than the GS and would register before GS. in 7.2.5 the animation was the same, but casting ice lance right after GS would consume the root. 

4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

anyone else notice the glacial spike change in 7.3? before you would be able to ice lance right after casting GS and consume the root for an ice lance crit. problem seems to be the animation, the ice lance travels faster than the GS and would register before GS. in 7.2.5 the animation was the same, but casting ice lance right after GS would consume the root. 

Similar issue on other casters - new animations have completely changed travel times of some spells, meaning you actually have to tailor your rotation to fit it. It's still possible, but you need to delay manually before using it.

On 8/29/2017 at 4:59 AM, Blainie said:

This guide has now been updated for the 7.3 patch. If you have any questions or comments, you can always ask them here. If you find any errors in the new changes to the guide, let me know and I'll get the writers to update it ASAP.

Good luck in the Shadows of Argus!

There needs to be 2 changes to the easy mode section, in section 1 Furty mentions "When playing Frost you want to make sure that your Summon Water Elemental is always present." Yet in the talent choice section just below it, he says the tier 15 talent chosen should be lonely winter! In the basic rotation section the last thing mentioned as part of the rotation is ice nova which has the caveat "if you talented it", going back to what I've mentioned in a different post, easy mode is about "TL;DR" and the person reading this guide is for the most part not going to look into the rest of the guide to see if they should've chosen ice nova over what may have been actually been suggested.

Edited by Razor64
Grammar

19 hours ago, Razor64 said:

There needs to be 2 changes to the easy mode section, in section 1 Furty mentions "When playing Frost you want to make sure that your Summon Water Elemental is always present." Yet in the talent choice section just below it, he says the tier 15 talent chosen should be lonely winter! In the basic rotation section the last thing mentioned as part of the rotation is ice nova which has the caveat "if you talented it", going back to what I've mentioned in a different post, easy mode is about "TL;DR" and the person reading this guide is for the most part not going to look into the rest of the guide to see if they should've chosen ice nova over what may have been actually been suggested.

I'll pass both points on.

In the easy mode for Frost Mage, it is suggested, “When playing Frost you want to make sure that your spell_frost_summonwaterelemental_2.jpgSummon Water Elemental is always present. It is recommended that you keep it on 'Assist', so that it will automatically attack your target when you engage in combat.”

For the Level 15 talent, it is suggested to select Lonely Winter (which means not using water elemental).

Am definitely scratching my head on this!

4 hours ago, Skyelander said:

In the easy mode for Frost Mage, it is suggested, “When playing Frost you want to make sure that your spell_frost_summonwaterelemental_2.jpgSummon Water Elemental is always present. It is recommended that you keep it on 'Assist', so that it will automatically attack your target when you engage in combat.”

For the Level 15 talent, it is suggested to select Lonely Winter (which means not using water elemental).

Already brought this up!

20 hours ago, Skyelander said:

Follow the advice of the talents, I'm getting Furty to fix it. 

On 9/14/2017 at 7:26 AM, Blainie said:

It should be fixed soon! :)

I'm not sure the fix is satisfactory. Seems more like a "can't be bothered" solution. It makes no effort as to what you should be choosing besides lonely winter (if you want to keep the pet) if you're trying to do this in easy mode and ice nova is still listed in the basic rotation even though that isn't a suggested talent.

On 9/17/2017 at 11:23 PM, Razor64 said:

I'm not sure the fix is satisfactory. Seems more like a "can't be bothered" solution. It makes no effort as to what you should be choosing besides lonely winter (if you want to keep the pet) if you're trying to do this in easy mode and ice nova is still listed in the basic rotation even though that isn't a suggested talent.

I've passed on to Furty that both need to be updated - should be up and deployed soon.

Can we have the netherlight crucible traits given item level values? What I mean by this would be basically what was done on the Hunter spec pages, where a trait like Torment the Weak was listed as being worth 8.9 item levels, and so on. This will help when trying to decide paths where there is no 100% clear answer on first look. Thanks

3 hours ago, Ugopewpew said:

Can we have the netherlight crucible traits given item level values? What I mean by this would be basically what was done on the Hunter spec pages, where a trait like Torment the Weak was listed as being worth 8.9 item levels, and so on. This will help when trying to decide paths where there is no 100% clear answer on first look. Thanks

I can ask, but there's no guarantee. It might be easier to work it out on a strict item level comparison basis for some classes than others. I'll see what Furty says.