Damien

Subtlety Rogue 7.2.5

310 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Subtlety Rogue guide for Legion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sub guide seems to be recommending some non-optimal talent choices, at least according to the most current simulationcraft results. Using subterfuge, premeditation, and master of shadows over nightstalker, alacrity, and death from above is going to get you a lot more shadowstrikes over the course of a raid encounter and result in more damage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Guest Ryjhan said:

Sub guide seems to be recommending some non-optimal talent choices, at least according to the most current simulationcraft results. Using subterfuge, premeditation, and master of shadows over nightstalker, alacrity, and death from above is going to get you a lot more shadowstrikes over the course of a raid encounter and result in more damage. 

Those talent choices are fine if you're new to the specialization since the Legion changes. Our listed talents will definitely provide more burst during ring and during procs, but make pooling and executing your burst a lot more important (which APLs always struggle to model, which is why forgiving choices are usually favored). When using Bleeding Hollow Toxin Vessel, those talents can actually be quite potent, but the pre-patch can usually be pretty volatile with respect to balance. Basically, since we (theorycrafters & the like) are all so focused on Legion, there might be some unexpected bumps in the road during 7.0.3 for every class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job guys incredible guide as we are used to ! 

I'm a bit disappointed because I was expecting Sub to stay better than Assassination in term of single target DPS and I was attracted by Sub gameplay as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Neriliel said:

Good job guys incredible guide as we are used to ! 

I'm a bit disappointed because I was expecting Sub to stay better than Assassination in term of single target DPS and I was attracted by Sub gameplay as well. 

Don't worry dude, it will definitely take over later in Legion! Assassination doesn't scale very well since Mastery doesn't affect your Bleeds at all and Haste doesn't have much value to begin with. Subtlety on the other hand scales extraordinarily well and I would expect it to be dominant in Nighthold or the tier after!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for this guide.

I just wandering my self why : " Gloomblade Icon Gloomblade is actually a DPS loss if you can guarantee that the majority of your Backstab Icon Backstabs will come from behind the target."

Gloomblade is shadow damage so it ignore armor. I log on my beta account and can confirm that Gloomblade does ~25% more damage than backstab. I can understand it's not optimal but I really doubt it's a DPS loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Guest Tomate said:

Thanks for this guide.

I just wandering my self why : " Gloomblade Icon Gloomblade is actually a DPS loss if you can guarantee that the majority of your Backstab Icon Backstabs will come from behind the target."

Gloomblade is shadow damage so it ignore armor. I log on my beta account and can confirm that Gloomblade does ~25% more damage than backstab. I can understand it's not optimal but I really doubt it's a DPS loss.

It depends on the mob, as I had mixed results when doing practical testing. Definitely a significant downgrade from the other two talents in any case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I've been practicing this rotation for the past three hours on a target dummy, but I can only sustain 45-47K. (No food/flask/rune, Ilvl 730), Is that around where it should be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Guest Zarayis said:

Hey, I've been practicing this rotation for the past three hours on a target dummy, but I can only sustain 45-47K. (No food/flask/rune, Ilvl 730), Is that around where it should be?

Subtlety is pretty dependent on your gear right now. If you have Bleeding Hollow Toxic Vessel your damage should be quite solid in a raid environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is really versatility in top stat? with so many finishers and the constant use of them, should mastery be giving more damage overall? 

or is it because with no alacrity the will be less finishers to take advantage of mastery? is focusing more on a constant base dagame than micro burst? i was just not specting versatility to top as a stat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Guest Luzzt said:

Is really versatility in top stat? with so many finishers and the constant use of them, should mastery be giving more damage overall? 

or is it because with no alacrity the will be less finishers to take advantage of mastery? is focusing more on a constant base dagame than micro burst? i was just not specting versatility to top as a stat.

It's because of Bleeding Hollow Toxin Vessel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! Great guide! I did notice one teeny weeny little thing, not to nit pick or anything, but as far as your Tricks macro goes, I always used 

/cast [@Tank's Name] Tricks of the Trade

which does the same thing, you just don't switch targets. Might be a little easier for someone less experienced with macros as well. I will say I haven't raided since the beginning of Cata, but I imagine it would still work. Anyway, good work! The rogue community was very well blessed as far as theorycrafting, etc. back in the EJ days, and it's nice to see someone else grab the reigns and help people out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Guest Reerun said:

Hi! Great guide! I did notice one teeny weeny little thing, not to nit pick or anything, but as far as your Tricks macro goes, I always used 

/cast [@Tank's Name] Tricks of the Trade

which does the same thing, you just don't switch targets. Might be a little easier for someone less experienced with macros as well. I will say I haven't raided since the beginning of Cata, but I imagine it would still work. Anyway, good work! The rogue community was very well blessed as far as theorycrafting, etc. back in the EJ days, and it's nice to see someone else grab the reigns and help people out.

Thanks for the suggestion about the macro! The current macro allows you to cast Tricks on whatever your mouse is currently hovering over, which means you can put it on any player you wish by just hovering over them in the raid frames or in-game. It's slightly more flexible than a direct target macro on a single player, especially if you have to swap between tanks often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that Alacrity tends to be the best choice since it improves combo point generation overall, but is there in your opinion any time where Enveloping Shadows will be useful?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Guest 8bitmadness said:

I know that Alacrity tends to be the best choice since it improves combo point generation overall, but is there in your opinion any time where Enveloping Shadows will be useful?

I'm not convinced that it will be, but maybe in later tiers as we move into Legion. We'll see as time goes on, these sorts of things are updated regularly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guide mentions to maintain Nightblade only on the primary target. Is it not worth it to apply it onto a second/third target if available/possible, similar to how assassination does with rupture?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey.

Night elves used to have an advantage whit the old sub spec. We could use our racial shadowmeld for a free ambush that allowed us 10 more secs of find weakness every 2 mins.

This advantage isn't totally gone though. We can still use shadowmeld to cast shadowstrike whitout being into vanish or Shadow dance.

I guess it gives the race a little advantage over the other races but nothing big. Maybe it is worth to be pointed out into your guild?

And while i'm at it, thank you for this guide!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Guest Zed said:

The guide mentions to maintain Nightblade only on the primary target. Is it not worth it to apply it onto a second/third target if available/possible, similar to how assassination does with rupture?

Nightblade has such a short duration that in *most* cases it is best to play to your strengths and focus on dealing as much damage as possible to the most important target. If a new target spawns, however, such as the Deathcaller on Archimonde, you switch and apply Nightblade ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

i would like to use one key for bacsktab and shadowstrike, so I tried to play with this macro :

#showtooltip

/cast [stance:0] backstab

/cast [stance:1/2/3] shadowstrike

It doesn't work with shadowdance (stance:3 before Legion pre-patch) because it's not a stance anymore...any idea ?

 

Anyway, thanks for your very complete guide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Guest Veinøm@Hyjal said:

Hi,

i would like to use one key for bacsktab and shadowstrike, so I tried to play with this macro :

#showtooltip

/cast [stance:0] backstab

/cast [stance:1/2/3] shadowstrike

It doesn't work with shadowdance (stance:3 before Legion pre-patch) because it's not a stance anymore...any idea ?

 

Anyway, thanks for your very complete guide

I don't think it's possible anymore. You should try: /cast [mod:shift] Shadowstrike; Backstab

That will use the same button but you'll have to hit shift. Blizzard doesn't allow for scripting based off what buffs you have - if you would like to have an easier way of knowing when Shadow Dance is available and / or active, you can look at using an addon such as Weakauras which can help track things such as Shadow Dance, and help you know when to SS and when to BS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, 

I was just wondering about a nightstalker/anticipation/enveloping shadows/DfA where you would be casting 2 eviscerate/dfa during shadow dance and though net you a max 30 s cd on shadow dance, and enveloping shadow might generate a bit less CP but it gives you one more finisher to reduce shadow dance cd. Would it be viable ? i don't have a lot of time to play right now, and it might get better when legion launch because of Bleeding Hollow Toxin Vessel.

Thanks !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Guest Bazdouf said:

Hi, 

I was just wondering about a nightstalker/anticipation/enveloping shadows/DfA where you would be casting 2 eviscerate/dfa during shadow dance and though net you a max 30 s cd on shadow dance, and enveloping shadow might generate a bit less CP but it gives you one more finisher to reduce shadow dance cd. Would it be viable ? i don't have a lot of time to play right now, and it might get better when legion launch because of Bleeding Hollow Toxin Vessel.

Thanks !

Obviously you are free to choose whatever talents you want if you just want to mess around or try fun builds, but that will result in a pretty major DPS loss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/07/2016 at 10:21 PM, Furty said:

Obviously you are free to choose whatever talents you want if you just want to mess around or try fun builds, but that will result in a pretty major DPS loss. 

Even with an full artifact ? Or is enveloping shadows really that weak without a mastery scaling

Cause i like the anticipation/nightstalker combo, so maybe with master of shadows and alacrity/premeditation ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bazdouf said:

Even with an full artifact ? Or is enveloping shadows really that weak without a mastery scaling

Cause i like the anticipation/nightstalker combo, so maybe with master of shadows and alacrity/premeditation ?

Even at 110 it falls noticeably behind the other talent options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Starym

       
      As promised, Alveona, Exorsus' guild master, has posted his opinions on the Tomb of Sargeras Mythic race on reddit. He goes really in-depth not only on the hot topic of Kil'jaeden, but the rest of the raid as well - from the difficulty curve, to what he thinks went wrong with the instance, hardcore raiding mythbusting and more.
      As you can imagine he's not too thrilled with the whole thing, but the post is well explained and we can get a feeling of what their frustrations on the boss(es) were much better. It's definitely worth a read if you're interested in the perspective of top-end raiders and in what tuning of a new raid looks like in the extremely early days of a new (Mythic) tier. Here are some highlights from the post:
       
       
      Be sure to check out the whole thing for better context and even more info.
    • By Stan

      Patch 7.3 adds two new factions to the game. The first one's called Argussian Reach and you can add up to 7 mounts to your collection. Most of the reputation is gained from World Quests.
      Toraan the Revered is the faction's quartermaster and sells a tabard at Exalted.

      Other items
      Argussian Reach Emissary - World Quests Cache Argussian Reach Emissary Artifact Power - Cache AP Reward Argussian Reach Mounts
      The new faction offers 7 talbuk mounts. All of them are unlocked at Exalted.
      Maddened Chaosrunner is the only mount that has a somewhat "unique appearance" and it's an Argus drop. The other talbuks are just recolors.

      Reins of the Amethyst Ruinstrider

      Reins of the Beryl Ruinstrider

      Reins of the Cerulean Ruinstrider

      Reins of the Russet Ruinstrider

      Reins of the Sable Ruinstrider

      Reins of the Umber Ruinstrider

    • By Starym

       
      More attempted fixing of issues with "jump" abilities today, Destro Locks' Immolate, ToV items for Fury and Enh hidden artifact skins, as well as some Priest PvP get fixes as well.
      July 27 (source)
      Classes
      (Hhotfix in testing) Fixed a bug with Heroic Leap, Havoc's Metamorphosis, and Infernal Strike where they would sometimes fail to cast but still trigger their cooldown if the player became Rooted at the same time as the spell was cast. Warlock Destruction Immolate’s Soul Shard generation should now function as intended and match the tooltip. Dungeons and Raids
      Trial of Valor Helya, Odyn Corrected an issue that prevented the items for the hidden Fury or Enhancement artifact appearances from dropping when Personal Loot was selected. Player versus Player
      Priest Holy (Hotfix in testing) The final healing and damage of Ray of Hope can no longer be prevented by Smoke Bomb. Previous Hotfixes
      July 24 July 20 July 17 July 12 July 11
    • By Starym

       
      7.3 isn't just bringing in new stuff from Argus, we're also getting some future past items! Raiding with Leashes is back with its' fifth iteration and it's Deathwing and his minions' turn to give us gifts of pets! This latest addition will take us through all Cataclysm raids and if you gather all 15 pets there you get the achievement and another pet!

      Raiding with Leashes V: Cuteaclysm
      So let's take a closer look at the new raid themed pets that are coming with the next patch. If you want to check out a pet's abilities just click on the link in the name and then on the "Learned" tab.
      Bastion of Twilight

      Twilight Clutch-Sister (Valiona)   /   Bound Stream (Ascendant Council) 
        
      Faceless Minion (Cho'gall)

      Blackwing Descent

      Tinytron (Omnotron Defense System)   /   Discarded Experiment (Maloriak)
        
      Rattlejaw (Nefarian)

      Throne of the Four Winds
      Drafty (Nezir)   /   Zephyrian Prince (Al'Akir)
        
      Firelands

      Blazehound (Shannox)   /   Cinderweb Recluse (Beth'tilac)
        
      Surger (Baleroc)   /   Infernal Pyreclaw (Majordomo Staghelm)
        
      Dragon Soul

      Faceless Mindlasher (Yor'sahj the Unsleeping)   /   Corrupted Blood (Spine of Deathwing)
        
      Unstable Tendril (Madness of Deathwing)

       
      And finally, once you gather all those up, the achievement will reward you with Amalgam of Destruction:

    • By Stan

      Today we're looking at Mage Tier 21 armor sets and bonuses.
      Tier 21 Sets will drop in Antorus, the Burning Throne raid that will not open immediately when Patch 7.3 goes live. Please note that this is a work-in-progress preview and the appearance and set bonuses are subject to change at any given time throughout 7.3 testing.
      Set Bonuses
      Item - Mage T21 Arcane 2P Bonus - Spending Arcane Charge Buffs Damage - Each Arcane Charge you spend increases your damage dealt by 2% for 8 sec. Item - Mage T21 Arcane 4P Bonus - Generating Arcane Charge Grants Haste - When you generate an Arcane Charge, you have a 4% chance to increase your haste by 20% for 6 sec. Item - Mage T21 Fire 2P Bonus - Combustion Duration - Increases the duration of Combustion by 2.0 sec. Item - Mage T21 Fire 4P Bonus - Combustion Increases Crit Damage - Combustion also increases your critical strike damage by 50% for 14 sec. Item - Mage T21 Frost 2P Bonus - Flurry Damage - Each successive ice bolt of a cast of Flurry deals 25% more damage. Item - Mage T21 Frost 4P Bonus - Brain Freeze Buffs Frostbolt - When you consume Brain Freeze, the damage of your next Frostbolt is increased by 75%. Normal Tint

      Mythic Tint
      Blood Elf

      Draenei

      Dwarf

      Gnome

      Goblin

      Human

      Night Elf

      Orc

      Pandaren

      Troll

      Undead

      Worgen

      In case you've missed any of our previous Tier 21 Armor Set Previews:
      Tier 21 Death Knight Tier 21 Druid Tier 21 Monk Tier 21 Paladin Tier 21 Priest Tier 21 Rogue