FORUMS
Damien

Windwalker Monk 7.3

Guest Golfik

Hi,

Thanks for the info on the site. I have to say that I like changes to WW and as I tanked the whole expansion on my Brewmaster i'm quite looking forward to DPSing some more however I have an issue with rotation deeper down the line.

From time to time I have 5 Chi, Energy is pulling towards 120 and I have around 5 seconds left on RsK and more on other abilities. Only spender I have is BoK but I am now not sure should I use it two times in a row so I got down to 3 Chi and then TP in time to get 5 Chi and then use RsK (but I will loose bonus damage from mastery this way) or should I just cap energy, use RsK with full buff rom Mastery and then Tiger Palm soon after.

Also sometimes it seems like I am wasting Chi as I am at 4 Chi, can't spend any and i am getting free BoK. To keep mastery bonus I need to BoK then TP but this will put me over 5 Chi. If I will wait for RsK to come of CD i will more then likely cap energy. From playing monk in WoD and Rouge in LK i know how important it was not to waste that energy so I am in a bit of a confusion

Thanks

On 7/27/2016 at 4:33 PM, Guest Zeldars said:

Versat being first prio doesn't make any sence to me right now, how your math work on that one?

Right now you want to pick up whatever stat that you have the least of, looking at the #, not the %. Since most HFC gear is very light on Vers, thats why Vers is highest priority. The goal is to balance the 4 secondary stats as much as you can.

18 hours ago, Guest Golfik said:

Hi,

Thanks for the info on the site. I have to say that I like changes to WW and as I tanked the whole expansion on my Brewmaster i'm quite looking forward to DPSing some more however I have an issue with rotation deeper down the line.

From time to time I have 5 Chi, Energy is pulling towards 120 and I have around 5 seconds left on RsK and more on other abilities. Only spender I have is BoK but I am now not sure should I use it two times in a row so I got down to 3 Chi and then TP in time to get 5 Chi and then use RsK (but I will loose bonus damage from mastery this way) or should I just cap energy, use RsK with full buff rom Mastery and then Tiger Palm soon after.

Also sometimes it seems like I am wasting Chi as I am at 4 Chi, can't spend any and i am getting free BoK. To keep mastery bonus I need to BoK then TP but this will put me over 5 Chi. If I will wait for RsK to come of CD i will more then likely cap energy. From playing monk in WoD and Rouge in LK i know how important it was not to waste that energy so I am in a bit of a confusion

Thanks

You can always use Spinning Crane Kick to get rid of some excess Chi. If you're comfortable with it you can use FSK or CJL and cancel them immediately so that you can BoK again without losing Hit Combo/Mastery. That is a slightly more advanced strategy, but slightly more DPS.

Guest Crelax

Shouldn't the single target rotation include the spell Rushing Jade Wind? It deals more damage than Blackout Kick for the same cost (1 Chi and 1 GCD). Even though it is not the optimal talent for single target fights it should still be included. Especially in Mythic+ or dungeons in general this might very well be the talent of choice and will probably not be swapped out for every Boss.

Rushing Jade Wind Talent
1 Chi
Instant cast 6 sec cooldown
Requires Monk (Brewmaster, Windwalker)
Requires level 90
Summons a whirling tornado around you, causing [(69% of Attack power) * 9] damage over 6 sec to enemies within 8 yards.

69*9=621

Blackout Kick
1 Chi Melee Range
Instant cast 3 sec cooldown
Requires Monk
Requires level 3
Kick with a blast of Chi energy, dealing (385% of Attack power) Physical damage.

2 hours ago, Guest Crelax said:

Shouldn't the single target rotation include the spell Rushing Jade Wind? It deals more damage than Blackout Kick for the same cost (1 Chi and 1 GCD). Even though it is not the optimal talent for single target fights it should still be included. Especially in Mythic+ or dungeons in general this might very well be the talent of choice and will probably not be swapped out for every Boss.

Rushing Jade Wind Talent
1 Chi
Instant cast 6 sec cooldown
Requires Monk (Brewmaster, Windwalker)
Requires level 90
Summons a whirling tornado around you, causing [(69% of Attack power) * 9] damage over 6 sec to enemies within 8 yards.

69*9=621

Blackout Kick
1 Chi Melee Range
Instant cast 3 sec cooldown
Requires Monk
Requires level 3
Kick with a blast of Chi energy, dealing (385% of Attack power) Physical damage.

BoK doesn't have a cooldown for Windwalkers; even 2 casts of BoK within 6 seconds will do substantially more damage than RJW

3 hours ago, Carrn said:

BoK doesn't have a cooldown for Windwalkers; even 2 casts of BoK within 6 seconds will do substantially more damage than RJW

You seem to miss the point. One RJW deals more damage than one BoK so the priority would be

1. Use Fists of Fury Icon Fists of Fury.
  2. Use Whirling Dragon Punch Icon Whirling Dragon Punch (if you have taken this talent).
  3. Use Tiger Palm Icon Tiger Palm
    • If you have less than 4 Chi AND you are about to reach maximum Energy.
  4. Use Rising Sun Kick Icon Rising Sun Kick.
  5. Use Chi Wave Icon Chi Wave (if you have taken this talent).
  6. Use ability_monk_rushingjadewind.jpgRushing Jade Wind (if you have taken this talent)
  7. Use Blackout Kick Icon Blackout Kick.

because (once again) one RJW deals  621% Attack power over 6 seconds while one BoK deals 385% of Attack power instantly.

EDIT: RJW might actually even be over Chi Wave since Chi Wave only deals up to 606,9% Attack Power.

Edited by crelax
tried to fix the spell link but don't know how to link images; edit 2: I think I figured it out

Technically you are correct, but you're also giving up Hit Combo which will give you less overall damage on a single target.

I think I misunderstood what you were saying though; you mean that there should be a note in there on the ST rotation part that mentions RJW if you have taken it, in which case I agree. I'll mention it

Guest Ganjalf

hey there, i got a few questions to the rotation:

should i focus on keeping combo strikes stacked and always switch between Blackout kick and tigerpalm or should i focus on getting enaugh combo points in time when one of the higher prio abilitys comes up? And how do i combine this with the 3. Tier talents energizing elixir / power strikes. Could need some more details on this topic.

Maybe you can add a starting fight rotation, that woudl help me a lot.

Btw great guide always learing a lot! Keep this work up! :)

Guest Malthurius

I have a couple of questions based on a few observations of the priority based rotation.

If you have power strikes proc during the opening of the pull, you have enough chi to immediately use Fists of Fury, however, this causes you to be at maximum energy for about half of the channel. Would it be more optimal to RSK then Tiger Palm again to burn more energy to prevent energy capping? Or does the damage from Fists of Fury worth the wasted energy regen?

Similar case with Energizing Elixer. When you pop it, would it be more optimal to use RSK to spend some chi, then tiger palm to get rid of some energy before channeling Fists of Fury to minimize the amount of time you're at energy cap, wasting energy?

" while Serenity Icon Serenity can work in AoE situations where Spinning Crane Kick Icon Spinning Crane Kick is used extensively (though we still recommend Whirling Dragon Punch). "

Also, I'm not entirely sure how Serenity is better than Storm, Earth, and Fire in heavy AE situations. Serenity makes tagging multiple enemies much harder for Spinning Crane Kick; spamming Spinning Crane while in Serenity would also do less because your mastery would fall off. Serenity seems to be meant for single target situations to me.

Finally, this is a technicality, but It's actually impossible to prioritize Rising Dragon Kick over Rising Sun Kick because of the nature of Rising Dragon Kick requiring RSK to be off CD. I know they're in order of what provides the most damage (what's most important), but since you have to use RSK to get to Dragon Kick, RSK becomes higher priority because of mechanics.

For actual questions on rotations and stuff, it's better to open up a thread in the Monk section. People mostly come here to criticize the guide and give feedback :)

Guest Fang

Every dungeons ive ran with my monk and watched damage dealt at the end Chi Orbit has always done the most damage, not good huh?

On 9/2/2016 at 2:03 PM, Guest Fang said:

Every dungeons ive ran with my monk and watched damage dealt at the end Chi Orbit has always done the most damage, not good huh?

You're welcome to use whichever talents you feel you are performing best with, but performing the rotation properly and getting correct use out of WDP will result in higher damage dealt overall

Guest Corener

Hi, I was wondering what the order of trinkets was from best to worst from the legion mythics. Thanks

Guest zagara

under addons i recommend using TrufiGCD it tracks what the last ability u used is, so u can make sure u dont mess up ur mastery

11 hours ago, Guest zagara said:

under addons i recommend using TrufiGCD it tracks what the last ability u used is, so u can make sure u dont mess up ur mastery

This can also be done via WeakAuras, in which you can also track your current stack of Hit Combo. 

Guest Sl0th

Blackout kick does not have a 3 second cooldown, at least not anymore. Looking at it right now on my monk.

2 hours ago, Guest Sl0th said:

Blackout kick does not have a 3 second cooldown, at least not anymore. Looking at it right now on my monk.

Where are you seeing this reference? Just want to make sure we're getting any references to it when correcting.

Generic comment being mass posted over the comments threads guys.

We are aware of the changes and our writers are working hard to update the guides to suit what has changed. Currently, there is a lot of work still to be done and it's unlikely that every guide will be up-to-date immediately. Expect a flood of updates over the coming days that will answer all of your questions about what is now best after X change, in time for the reset next week.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Guest Sl0th
On 9/22/2016 at 10:17 AM, Blainie said:

Where are you seeing this reference? Just want to make sure we're getting any references to it when correcting.

Blackout Kick Icon Blackout Kick deals damage to a single target, has a 3-second cooldown, and costs 1 Chi.

13 minutes ago, Guest Sl0th said:

Blackout Kick Icon Blackout Kick deals damage to a single target, has a 3-second cooldown, and costs 1 Chi.

Noted, thanks! Will get it updated ASAP :)

Guest nuxia

hello,

possible to add a list of bis for windwalker please ? it's hard to found a list with item of the emerald nightmare.

thanks a lot .

10 hours ago, Guest nuxia said:

hello,

possible to add a list of bis for windwalker please ? it's hard to found a list with item of the emerald nightmare.

thanks a lot .

I'll ask for this, but honestly, BiS lists really don't hold much weight any more. You could, in theory, find an item from a Mythic dungeon that is better than a Mythic piece of raid gear due to titanforging.