FORUMS
Damien

Affliction Warlock 7.3

On 4/26/2017 at 4:31 PM, Guest Xatez said:

Another question, after the drain phase is over, do I need to refresh my dots regardless of the duration or should I continue to drain soul until the dots are about to expire? Agony sometimes last a while longer so I am not sure if I need to refresh the dot immediately.

You just need to maintain the dots. Refresh as required.

Talking about the guldan trinket: How does it influence our game play to maximize the benefit of it?

While cast time is slowed, what do we need to be aware of?

What is the worst case never should happen?

On 4/29/2017 at 3:35 PM, checkmate said:

Talking about the guldan trinket: How does it influence our game play to maximize the benefit of it?

There is very little you need to change. The only thing to ensure is that you do not pop cooldowns during the debuff phase. The worst case is that the trinket just never pops during a fight or that it pops while you are moving, so you don't get the benefit of the Haste but you do get the debuff.

Guest Valkas

Hi Im asking a question for a friend here, so my apologies if i might sound clueless.

On warcraftlogs.com you can see when you look at Krosus top affli parses that the strongest talent seems to be
soul harvest. But this guide says its weak for single target fights?
So why is that? Do they use adds that spawn to lengthen the duration? Is there anything besides that which might
make soul harvest > siphon life with a specific gear set up maybe?
Id be glad if someone could explain that in details to me! :)
Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Guest Valkas said:

So why is that? Do they use adds that spawn to lengthen the duration? 

I'm going to poke Furty and see what he says - it might be to do with adds and casting Agony there, but it seems people without Harvest cast it on the adds just as much.

We are currently in the process of updating our guides in preparation for the release of 7.2.5 - all questions about "What is better for 7.2.5, X or Y?" will be answered in our guide updates. Thanks for your patience while we get everything completed and good luck in the new patch!

Guest Wendy Alt

Hi.  Blizz did some tweaks after patch 7.2.5 and many sites are now placing "haste" ahead of "mastery".  Any thoughts?

Hi,

thank you guys very much for updating the guide. Regarding the nerf of MG and the buff of our dots, I am not sure if I fully understand the rotation section.

Quoting from rotation section, 1.1 Single Target:

1. Maintain your DoT effects (Agony IconAgony, Corruption IconCorruption, and Siphon Life IconSiphon Life) on the boss.

5. Drain Soul IconDrain Soul until Unstable Affliction IconUnstable Affliction expires.

I understand that I never let Agony IconAgony expire, but what about the following situation:

Let`s assume Agony IconAgony, Corruption IconCorruption, Siphon Life IconSiphon Life and Unstable Affliction IconUnstable Affliction are ticking on the boss, and while draining Corruption IconCorruption and Siphon Life IconSiphon Life off.

So what am I supposed to do now?

a) I do not let both dots expire at all costs, meaning drainng while UA is running has no longer priority

b) I continue to drain until Unstable Affliction IconUnstable Affliction expires and only then I recast Corruption IconCorruption and Siphon Life IconSiphon Life

I hope, you understand what I mean.

Greetings

Checkmate

3 hours ago, Guest Wendy Alt said:

Hi.  Blizz did some tweaks after patch 7.2.5 and many sites are now placing "haste" ahead of "mastery".  Any thoughts?

I'm not sure what sites you are referring to, but I can't particularly explain their thinking behind it - as far as I am aware, it still stands as Mastery / Haste, but they are incredibly close together.

2 hours ago, checkmate said:

Thank you guys very much for updating the guide. Regarding the nerf of MG and the buff of our dots, I am not sure if I fully understand the rotation section.

Maintain DoTs is listed as the #1 priority. Casting Drain Soul is listed as the #5 priority. You maintain DoTs.

Hello, I just got around to reading up on the changes and I am stumped on something:

4. Basic Rotation

1. Keep Agony IconAgony applied to up to 5 targets.
  2. Apply Corruption IconCorruption to up to 5 targets.
  3. Apply Siphon Life IconSiphon Life to up to 5 targets.
  4. Cast Phantom Singularity IconPhantom Singularity when available.
  5. Cast Unstable Affliction IconUnstable Affliction when you have 4+ Soul Shards.
  6. Cast Drain Life IconDrain Life as a filler.
  7. Cast Seed of Corruption IconSeed of Corruption as a filler on 3+ stacked targets.
  8. Cast IconReap Souls at 2-4 stacks. Save 3+ Soul Shards for your IconReap Souls for maximum damage.
  9. Cast Life Tap IconLife Tap to restore Mana.

Step 6 - should that read Cast Drain Soul as a filler? Or what am I missing?

Guest NewLock

Hi,

I just switched to Affliction Lock for 7.2.5. (dumped my Elemental shaman...) and got a question for stat choices. In the "Easy Mode" section the order is :

1. Mastery;
  2. Critical Strike >= Haste;
  3. Intellect;
  4. Versatility.

but in the stat priority section it is:

1. Mastery;
  2. Haste;
  3. Critical Strike;
  4. Intellect;
  5. Versatility.

So is Haste and crit on an equal level or which one should I put more priority on after mastery? (I know how to sim my character and will do it once i reach a decent average itemlvl, just want clarification about the order of the secondary stats importance).

Thanks guys for your awesome guide, helped me already a lot :)

6 hours ago, Guest NewLock said:

Hi,

I just switched to Affliction Lock for 7.2.5. (dumped my Elemental shaman...) and got a question for stat choices. In the "Easy Mode" section the order is :

1. Mastery;
  2. Critical Strike >= Haste;
  3. Intellect;
  4. Versatility.

but in the stat priority section it is:

1. Mastery;
  2. Haste;
  3. Critical Strike;
  4. Intellect;
  5. Versatility.

So is Haste and crit on an equal level or which one should I put more priority on after mastery? (I know how to sim my character and will do it once i reach a decent average itemlvl, just want clarification about the order of the secondary stats importance).

Thanks guys for your awesome guide, helped me already a lot :)

Mastery>Haste>Crit>int>vers

Guest Aion

New talents and nerfs to abilities need Applied for affliction. 

3 hours ago, Guest Aion said:

New talents and nerfs to abilities need Applied for affliction. 

All they have done is a flat nerf to damage by 5%.

Quoting:

This is a rough list, calculated for a single target. The value of the legendary items shifts often from fight to fight and certain passives (for example, Prydaz, Xavaric's Magnum Opus IconPrydaz, Xavaric's Magnum Opus) can be extraordinarily useful on some fights while ineffectual on others.

Please explain this further. Is it because in multi-dotting fights we benefit a lot from the high stats prydaz provides?

Greetings

Checkmate

Guest Mastery Vs haste

Thank you Blainie for your comment to the post on some sites placing haste above mastery now that 7.2.5 is out.  One site is Mr. Robot (www.askmrrobot.com) who used to match very close with Icy Veins, but made the switch to haste after 7.2.5.  I have my Mastery at 96% but Haste is around 29%  It would take a lot of time and effort to swap those around :-)

Guest Radj

There are sims out with Haste performing the same or better than mastery. The main reason for this is is shard expenditure creating more haste buffs. They synergize quite well together, especially on multi-target fights. Couple this with the legendary chest and it only makes haste that much better. Generally, single target priority seems to show mastery = haste, where council fight is haste > mastery, but even still none of the stats can be ignored. As they sim so close, you will lose out if you decide to stack too far one way or the other.

On 6/15/2017 at 11:58 PM, Klandastu said:

Step 6 - should that read Cast Drain Soul as a filler? Or what am I missing?

It should be, yeah!

17 hours ago, checkmate said:

Please explain this further. Is it because in multi-dotting fights we benefit a lot from the high stats prydaz provides?

I believe this is more tailored towards the fact that the shield can sometimes be incredibly useful if it lines up with an ability from the boss. 

5 hours ago, Guest Mastery Vs haste said:

Thank you Blainie for your comment to the post on some sites placing haste above mastery now that 7.2.5 is out.  One site is Mr. Robot (www.askmrrobot.com) who used to match very close with Icy Veins, but made the switch to haste after 7.2.5.  I have my Mastery at 96% but Haste is around 29%  It would take a lot of time and effort to swap those around :-)

I would assume that they look at it from a purely single target, patchwerk perspective. As more targets appear, Mastery becomes more useful. As soon as another target appears, they go from being essentially the same weight to Mastery being better, and it simply becomes better as more targets enter the fight (assuming some form of sustained cleave). There are very few fights in which it is purely ST and, given that even in ST they are essentially the same weight, there is very little point gearing for Haste over Mastery.

5 hours ago, Guest Radj said:

There are sims out with Haste performing the same or better than mastery. The main reason for this is is shard expenditure creating more haste buffs. They synergize quite well together, especially on multi-target fights. Couple this with the legendary chest and it only makes haste that much better. Generally, single target priority seems to show mastery = haste, where council fight is haste > mastery, but even still none of the stats can be ignored. As they sim so close, you will lose out if you decide to stack too far one way or the other.

It was my understanding that on sustained cleave, M > H, not the other way round? Surely H > M occurs when entering shorter, more bursty AoE periods, such as in M+.

Guest Wendy Alt

You guys are awesome.  Thank you Radj for your thoughts (Mastery vs Haste) and thank you again Blainie for your added comments.  I have some ideas on tweaking a few things now.

Guest Signex

How good is affliction atm vs the other specs? after all the changes done to destruction i don't like it anymore and want to play affliction as a casual player.

On 6/21/2017 at 11:37 PM, Guest Wendy Alt said:

You guys are awesome.  Thank you Radj for your thoughts (Mastery vs Haste) and thank you again Blainie for your added comments.  I have some ideas on tweaking a few things now.

Glad to have helped :)