FORUMS
Damien

Affliction Warlock 7.3

Guest felbloods

what you said about affli not being good compared to the other speccs in raids is not true, the top dps'ers of locks in raids are affliction, get your facts straight

On 10/17/2016 at 4:55 PM, Guest felbloods said:

what you said about affli not being good compared to the other speccs in raids is not true, the top dps'ers of locks in raids are affliction, get your facts straight

http://worldoflogs.com/ranking/eu-us/the-emerald-nightmare/ursoc/normal/dps/

That's just N, but I checked H and Xavius N/H and none of them are top affliction spots.  Xavius had two Destro and the others were Demo. 

ETA: Checked Nythendra also.  first 3 lock spots are all Demo.

Edited by PatrickHenry
Add'l Info

I have a question regarding stat priority and proposed Best in Slot gear.

In our proposed BIS list. We have a Ring that has main stat Crit then Haste. Would it not be better, in theory, to use a same IL ring from Mythic+'s that has main stat Mast and off-stat Haste?

Do I not just wanna cram as much Mastery in as possible from my gear? What is the benefit of losing 1300ish Mastery for 1300ish Crit?

Using the Stat weight calculations for relative dps. The 880 ring from Xavius offers us about 1,611 dps while a same IL ring with Mastery instead of Crit offers us about 2,020 dps.

My thought is that when these BiS items were proposed, Mythic+ dungeons were not factored in or we were not made aware of them yet. This is just my idea though, I am curious on thoughts from better theorycrafters than myself.

Thank you guys and gals!

Edited by HardlyWorkingIT
I did the math.

On 10/21/2016 at 7:03 PM, HardlyWorkingIT said:

My thought is that when these BiS items were proposed, Mythic+ dungeons were not factored in or we were not made aware of them yet. This is just my idea though, I am curious on thoughts from better theorycrafters than myself.

The lists specifically refer to gear from raids, since including M+ gear can get really messy. This is due to the fact that there are numerous rings that can fill that BiS slot, depending on WF/TF levels, the tiny changes at actually getting them to hit those huge levels of increase, gems vs. non-gems, minor stat weight differences (600 vs 650 Haste, then comparing those two when one is slightly WF to bring it to 648 vs. 650). It can get incredibly messy. Generally, if you want to include M+ gear in there, you just need to sim your character and apply scaling stat weights to your gear. It's the only way to truly weight those M+ upgrades.

On 10/26/2016 at 5:09 PM, PatrickHenry said:

7.1 UPDATE
I see it still references Shadowfury in Tier 3, if you wanted it removed for clarity.

Thanks for that, will notify Furty.

The Pandemic section still mentions Unstable Affliction being a rolling DoT, though it rather ironically suggests thinking of UA as separate debuffs.  Should probably be updated to reflect the separate debuffs, and the cap of 5 per target (which also might be worth mentioning in the rotation section as well).

Guest Neckromantic

One small thing. the hyperlink for furty takes us to his priest instead of his warlock

Guest pain

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but sections "1. Ability Priority List" and "2.8. Effigy vs. Conduit" seem to be in conflict wrt how many targets should be dotted:

1. Ability Priority List

1. Maintain Agony Icon Agony (on up to 5 targets, including Soul Effigy Icon Soul Effigy if talented) at all times.

2.8. Effigy vs. Conduit

At 4+ targets it is no longer efficient to continue to apply DoTs to new targets. Therefore, the maximum amount of targets we will ever apply Agony Icon Agony to is 3 targets.

Guest Dave

Has anybody noticed that while beeing in a Group with two Affliction Warlocks, and both of them using Soul Effigy, that cast macros for the Effigy tend to try to cast on the other Warlocks Effigy instead of your own? This sucks hard, allthough this problem may only affect _very_ few players, it's still very anoying.

On 18.11.2016 at 5:40 AM, Kaedis said:

The Pandemic section still mentions Unstable Affliction being a rolling DoT, though it rather ironically suggests thinking of UA as separate debuffs.  Should probably be updated to reflect the separate debuffs, and the cap of 5 per target (which also might be worth mentioning in the rotation section as well).

I've passed that on to Furty, thanks!

On 22.11.2016 at 4:26 PM, Guest pain said:

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but sections "1. Ability Priority List" and "2.8. Effigy vs. Conduit" seem to be in conflict wrt how many targets should be dotted:

Passing this on, thanks for notifying me!

12 hours ago, Guest Dave said:

Has anybody noticed that while beeing in a Group with two Affliction Warlocks, and both of them using Soul Effigy, that cast macros for the Effigy tend to try to cast on the other Warlocks Effigy instead of your own? This sucks hard, allthough this problem may only affect _very_ few players, it's still very anoying.

Personally, no, but I very rarely encounter another Aff when I do play mine. Is there any way to distinguish between the two in the macro I wonder?

Guest Dave

Apparently not since both have the same name. I reported this as a bug via the ingame reporting tool, too. For Encounters with single target + effigy I switch to my focus macro instead and have the effigy be my focus target. I met another Affli Lock with whom I did some Odyn HC and Mythic pluses, can get really anoying on some encounters.

6 hours ago, Guest Dave said:

Apparently not since both have the same name. I reported this as a bug via the ingame reporting tool, too. For Encounters with single target + effigy I switch to my focus macro instead and have the effigy be my focus target. I met another Affli Lock with whom I did some Odyn HC and Mythic pluses, can get really anoying on some encounters.

Damn that sucks. A good workaround anyway though, thanks for sharing!

Guest Kizoja

Are you basing whether or not the affliction is the stronger in raids based on the very top percentile of players? IIRC, I was seeing mostly affliction above the others are most percentiles except max percentile. Also, at just about every percentile and keystone level (except for 13) for mythics had demonology and/or destro above affliction. This may be an issue with not being updated recently, but what I'm seeing on warcraftlogs would contradict what you're saying about affliction being the best spec for mythics. 

Guest Lhys

Hi, I play an affliction lock on Kirin Tor, and I have found that I do vastly more damage using grimore of supremacy in raids over service. Granted I am not doing mythics, but I do more than the rest of my guild in heroic EN, and often find myself getting decently high rankings over all other affliction locks doing the same content according to warcraftlogs

When I am using service I find my average dps drops from 300-360k to 245-260k. This leads me to believe that the information you are providing in your guide is leading the majority of affliction locks to overlooking using supremacy, as most people use your guide as law. The felhunter will be doing ~42k per bite as opposed to my doomguard's 81k per bolt. The burst of using service and doomguard as cooldown abilities is far worse for my dps than having my doomguard doom bolting for 81k or higher at all times.

Guest Xferno

Any chance this will be updated like the destruction one has been? What about a trinket list like destro has?

22 hours ago, Guest Xferno said:

Any chance this will be updated like the destruction one has been? What about a trinket list like destro has?

I'm sure Furty is working hard to get the updates prepared for 7.1.5! Until then, I doubt you'll see a large overhaul to the structure of the guide, since updates are required to every guide he writes.

Instead, I would assume that once 7.1.5 is released, we can look into upgrading the structure of other guides as well :) Just hang tight, it's coming!

The guides are currently being updated for 7.1.5! I just wanted to leave a few notes for all of our users that might be getting ready to leave a comment:

• Some pages do not require updates. The "Last Updated" stat does not mean the page is out of date, it might just not have needed any changes. If you feel that it does, leave a comment telling us what needs changing and why.
  • The process will not happen immediately - some guides will be updated faster than others simply due to the number of resources available. Be patient, they'll be ready when you need them!
  • There might be some continuity errors when making small adjustments to large guide pages. If you do find one of these, just let us know in the comments and we'll get it fixed ASAP.
  • "Why have you not taken into account X buff to X ability?" - remember, just because something got buffed, it doesn't mean it is now automatically better than the other options!

As always, we want to thank you all for being patient while we get things updated and I'm always available to help you all if you need it :)

Guest Scudge

The names and descriptions of a couple talents still aren't updated, Malefic Grasp is now Drain Soul, Empowered Life Tap is now Mana Tap. Are the talent sections still taking this into consideration?

39 minutes ago, Guest Scudge said:

The names and descriptions of a couple talents still aren't updated, Malefic Grasp is now Drain Soul, Empowered Life Tap is now Mana Tap. Are the talent sections still taking this into consideration?

Can you post me a specific example? I don't see any mention of Mana Tap or the old Drain Soul on the talents page.

4 hours ago, Guest Scudge said:

Never mind that, It was my own misunderstanding

Glad to see it got resolved. 

Thanks for the great and quick update for 715.

I have a question about the affliction rotation, since the best Tier2 talent now is contagion instead of absolute corruption.

The guide says: "Apply Unstable Affliction twice."

Does this mean whenever UA expires, it should be applied twice (one for the debuff, one for damage)? If it is applied earlier when the last one still exists, it could be applied only once (trying to maintain at least one UA 100% uptime)? Then, is it necessary to apply a new UA always before the last one expires?

Thanks!