FORUMS
Damien

Frost Death Knight 7.3

If tuned right Obliterate with Rime in theory should be better for single target than Frostscythe, something that should be Blizzard's intend when it comes to balancing and Frostscythe for 2 + targets with Killing Machine. I can't imagine that they would balance Frost in such a way where you want to use Frostscythe even for single target.

They've already said their intention is for Frostscythe to beat Obliterate even on single target, when you have a KM proc: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20743504316?page=13#post-248

Edited by Kaedis

3 hours ago, Kaedis said:

They've already said their intention is for Frostscythe to beat Obliterate even on single target, when you have a KM proc: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20743504316?page=13#post-248

I can see that happening considering Frost's Artifact Weapons give huge amount of Frost damage. Waiting a few more days to see what would change and gonna update both guides for Legion.

Guest machine gun build

1. not having any luck finding it anywhere so might as well ask here.  Got an addon or script command to show the rune regen and attack speed on your toon? for sentimental reasons i guess

2. Since d-day is nearby got plans to make a recommended artifact path to take?

1. not having any luck finding it anywhere so might as well ask here.  Got an addon or script command to show the rune regen and attack speed on your toon? for sentimental reasons i guess

Unless you need to actively track it during combat, this will show you your attack speed and rune regen speed (and all of the rest of the removed stats on the character sheet) : https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/dejacharacterstats

7 hours ago, Guest machine gun build said:

2. Since d-day is nearby got plans to make a recommended artifact path to take?

Relevant guides will be posted once legion launches

Guest Darkova

Went to test the machine gun build and unless I am messing it up I was wondering if Icy Talons is supposed to be up full time? I am making sure frost fever is up 100% and am following the rotation. However, I simply run out of runic power so Icy Talons falls off a lot.

I tried a variation and dropped Frostscythe for Runic Attenuation. Rotation for the most part was the same, but it used Obliterate where Frostscythe would of been. Rime procs easily kept frost fever active and Frost Strike > Rime Proc in priority allowed me to have Icy talons stacked at 3 very easily.

Guest Darkova

Forgive my post above, I overlooked the part mentioning machine gun build was for 2+ targets.

Guest Frost Guest Omega

For the ST build with Shattering Strikes or when taking Shattering Strikes in general, should we run RI/FC or RIx2?

17 hours ago, Guest Frost Guest Omega said:

For the ST build with Shattering Strikes or when taking Shattering Strikes in general, should we run RI/FC or RIx2?

If you are playing with Frostscythe for ST use IT if not go with SS, RI/FC.

Guest usernr333

Since they fixed razorice for all the new frostskills what can we expect from frost?

1 hour ago, Guest usernr333 said:

Since they fixed razorice for all the new frostskills what can we expect from frost?

Can't say without sims but even with the razorice fix Unholy should be ahead.

Guest guest99

did razor ice previously only affect old skills eg froststrike/blast and dot?

3 hours ago, Guest guest99 said:

did razor ice previously only affect old skills eg froststrike/blast and dot?

Frost Scythe, Avalanche Glacial Advance, Remorseless Winter, Frozen Pulse, Frozen Soul (gold trait), Sindragosa's Fury (gold trait), Hypothermia (gold trait), Crystalline Swords.

Guest Guest038

When we get "Bad to the Bone" artifact trait and choose "Shattering Strikes" would it be better to have double "Rune of Razorice"? So our frost damage would be a little higher and to have that 40% damage increase more frequently?

2 minutes ago, Guest Guest038 said:

When we get "Bad to the Bone" artifact trait and choose "Shattering Strikes" would it be better to have double "Rune of Razorice"? So our frost damage would be a little higher and to have that 40% damage increase more frequently?

Maybe later in the expansion will be an option but right now the strength  buff is too good to miss on it.

Guest PurchaseCats

Hi Tegu.

Thanks for all your hard work on these guides. Can you help me understand why the "machine gun" special is not optimal. All my time on beta and testing all sorts of talents and builds I found this did the best (for me anyways)

Icy talons, ice cap, pulse, scythe, and GA. You gave IT and X... is it that bad? Works well with this build and did more then a "classic" build with focus on OB and HB. BoS build didn't work out too well.

In mythic + machine gun build melted trash and helped with the timer. I held my own with only two relic slots being grouped up with players that had 3

Plus the bonus events while leveling as frost made it all worth it:-)

2 hours ago, Guest PurchaseCats said:

Hi Tegu.

Thanks for all your hard work on these guides. Can you help me understand why the "machine gun" special is not optimal. All my time on beta and testing all sorts of talents and builds I found this did the best (for me anyways)

Icy talons, ice cap, pulse, scythe, and GA. You gave IT and X... is it that bad? Works well with this build and did more then a "classic" build with focus on OB and HB. BoS build didn't work out too well.

In mythic + machine gun build melted trash and helped with the timer. I held my own with only two relic slots being grouped up with players that had 3

Plus the bonus events while leveling as frost made it all worth it:-)

To be honest i don't have some  crazy experience with Frost since it was good only  for a short while and that was before they gutted Hypothermia, back then Frost was neck in neck with Unholy if not even better after that the damage wasn't enough and the defensive toolkit was/is horrible. So Icy Talons should be a question mark not a cross, gonna fix that because the machine gun spec is viable and probably the best there is with the addition to the crazy amount of frost damage. Feel free to try out the specs at 110 with decent dungeon gear and you can let me know how it went with "classic" and machine gun spec, because i believe that with decent amount of mastery Frostscythe is gonna outperform Obliterate.

Please if you have any questions just ask before Release or send me a DM on twitter, i won't be so active  till we are done with the first raid instance.

Guest gloommaw

Tegu, I see you keep saying unholy is better at everything but if your going to raid is frost still viable? How does the damage compare to other classes?

30 minutes ago, Guest gloommaw said:

Tegu, I see you keep saying unholy is better at everything but if your going to raid is frost still viable? How does the damage compare to other classes?

Frost is still in a pretty good place its just unholy is better. Consider the mage class, one spec is always superior but the others are still tops of leaderboard. So with current tuning unholy is just superior in raw damage output but frost is certainly still competitive and viable. Even then, spec choice from "is it strong, does it do good damage" really only matters if you are pushing mythic progression raiding (which statistically, most people aren't) so you are better off playing a spec you are having fun with (sorta the point in vidya games). However, going frost is still by no means a bad choice, its in a good place, its just unholy is in a better place. 

also before every raid launches there is always heavy heavy tuning, so rankings are very likely to change.

Guest Heartless

ive been searching all over the place about the spec coz you need to pick one and spend your artifact points, now i ve been playing dk since they came out..

Everyone says unholy is better but so far my weapon is level 16 and im telling you frost hits like truck. comparing to unholy with the same ilvl frost is still good.

10 hours ago, Guest Heartless said:

ive been searching all over the place about the spec coz you need to pick one and spend your artifact points, now i ve been playing dk since they came out..

Everyone says unholy is better but so far my weapon is level 16 and im telling you frost hits like truck. comparing to unholy with the same ilvl frost is still good.

Well it depends what kind of Unholy Death Knights have you met but the thing with Frost isn't just damage being equal or less to Unholy my personal issue is the poor toolkit Frost has. 

Guest Dcake

Could you clarify the 1.3:1 ratio of crit to haste, specifically do you want 1.3:1 ratio of crit and haste % (i.e. 13% crit chance to 10% haste increase) or 1.3:1 ratio of crit rating to haste rating?

Guest browed

I've found recently that Frostscythe, Frost Strike and HB can all crit significantly higher than OB.

(OB crits 130 - 150k when I get trinket procs, FS, Frostscythe and HB have all critted over 200k)

It's worth mentioning that I have used relic traits towards Hypothermia/Offhand before going Sindragosa (don't ask, I committed it before I had fully researched and found out the respec cost >_<) 

Maybe this will help those who are now putting points into those areas to know that the overall Frost dmg is high as you get deeper into the upgrade, especially if you have significant amounts of Mastery, (I have around 35%)

I need to re-check my stats tonight to give more precise figures. (reinstalling Recount to replace TinyDPS)

Guest Will
On 9/9/2016 at 7:57 AM, Guest browed said:

I've found recently that Frostscythe, Frost Strike and HB can all crit significantly higher than OB.

(OB crits 130 - 150k when I get trinket procs, FS, Frostscythe and HB have all critted over 200k)

It's worth mentioning that I have used relic traits towards Hypothermia/Offhand before going Sindragosa (don't ask, I committed it before I had fully researched and found out the respec cost >_<) 

Maybe this will help those who are now putting points into those areas to know that the overall Frost dmg is high as you get deeper into the upgrade, especially if you have significant amounts of Mastery, (I have around 35%)

I need to re-check my stats tonight to give more precise figures. (reinstalling Recount to replace TinyDPS)

My frostscythes crit quite often and also hit much higher than my obliterates. Im almost tempted to just take ob off my bar since scythe costs less and hits harder. Only reason i dont is for the rime procs and i have legendary helm.