FORUMS
Damien

Unholy Death Knight 7.3

1 hour ago, MarkH said:

Hi,

As creating your own stat weights to sim and gear with is really needed to get the best results, would it be helpful to create a guide showing new people how to do so (or link to an existing guide http://www.wowhead.com/how-to-use-simulationcraft-and-pawn)

Hey! I normally link people to Azor's (our Hunter writer) guide on how to sim your character. I find it's pretty simple, it's a fairly short video and it works well for getting the basic point across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZGksHGbdcg

I see a lot of changes goin on the next patch (7.2.5) with quite a lot of boosts to Unholy.

Is it any chance Unholy surpasses Frost on next tier?

Does anyone maybe played on PTR and can confirm if it is still Frost > Unholy or the opposite?

Thanx in advance!

8 hours ago, Geddya said:

I see a lot of changes goin on the next patch (7.2.5) with quite a lot of boosts to Unholy.

Is it any chance Unholy surpasses Frost on next tier?

Does anyone maybe played on PTR and can confirm if it is still Frost > Unholy or the opposite?

Thanx in advance!

right now the tldr is unholy got a overall 3% buff.

so pretty much shaping atm to still be frost>unholy. Now unholy is competitive, it can do well, its just frost will be able to do better "easier". so you are fine playing what you want, but currently frost looks to still be ahead, now they just announced the new legendary ring today and frost's 4 piece is getting changed sooo we'll see but current projections are as noted :)

On 5/10/2017 at 8:35 PM, demonardvark said:

right now the tldr is unholy got a overall 3% buff.

Just for others reading - presuming this is specific to single target?

29 minutes ago, Blainie said:

Just for others reading - presuming this is specific to single target?

was pure single looking not accounting for legendaries/tier. However, there was an overall aura increase. Plus now the tier and the new legendary rings (mostly the tier) are quite powerful so unholy is looking good. As far as where it will fall we wont' realistically know for a few more weeks as we get closer to final numbers. A lot of the stuff out there is just conjecture/ people bickering about which of their favorite specs is better. What it comes down to is unholy is getting lots of love come 725 while frost is getting none. This is basically how blizz has always done it, they can only tune one dk spec at a time XD

While we have to wait and see which will be better, both will very likely be competitive. It's shaping up really to be choose whichever you prefer. The overall issue is unholy does have a hard RNG aspect to it. So, with tier and buffs unholy will be much stronger, how that will realistically compare to frost/other dps specs, we must wait. 

Guest Flowen

Im not seeing gear BiS on this page, kinda lame...All i see is legendary discussion and nothing about other slots of gear.

On 5/30/2017 at 8:28 AM, Guest Flowen said:

Im not seeing gear BiS on this page, kinda lame...All i see is legendary discussion and nothing about other slots of gear.

The issue that has been addressed previously in this forum, and in the guide itself, is that sadly there is no BiS for unholy other than the legendaries. Atm (prior to tomb) the best is wrists, and trink (or ring). But even with these the wrists are the only one whos effect makes it BiS. Unholy BiS is what ever gear gives you the perfect stat weights. With the issue of WF and TF something with haste/vers could be better than crit/haste because of the strength bonus.

The best gear ive found is something that give tye 2 leges you want, 20% haste, 20% crit, and about 60-70% mastery. Thats really the best youre going to get as we rely heavily on stats and proc chances.  Hopefully this issue will be resolved in ToS.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2017 at 11:28 PM, Guest Flowen said:

This is explained very well above by Brett, but I'd just like to add a small note. If you want to work towards your top BiS, SimCraft will be your best bet for finding raw DPS upgrades. Obviously use some common sense while testing, but it will give by far the most accurate results on what gear could/could not be best for you.

17 hours ago, MrBrettimus said:

The issue that has been addressed previously in this forum, and in the guide itself, is that sadly there is no BiS for unholy other than the legendaries.

Thanks for picking up that answer Brett!

We are currently in the process of updating our guides in preparation for the release of 7.2.5 - all questions about "What is better for 7.2.5, X or Y?" will be answered in our guide updates. Thanks for your patience while we get everything completed and good luck in the new patch!

@Drtain,

I was wondering two things:

First - do you think that if blizz upped the cap of festering wounds to 10, and changed festering strike to where it gave a constant amount of wounds, would that in and of itself be a major buff for unholy atm? was thinking of an application of 3 wounds that it would give as a constant, where it has a chance on crit to apply an additional one?

second - what is your opinion on most of the legendaries available to unholy? personally, i think the one that lacks the most would be the ring, with the 10% chance of it proccing something that you will rarely notice it proccing. I would like to see them do with the ring what they did with the paladin belt, and change it to something else, like the abom has  a % chance to apply outbreak/virulent plague, or expand more on doing something with the abomination. 

idk if i'm one of the the only ones that sees the legendary ability of the ring very lacking or not.

1 hour ago, Relenquiem said:

@Drtain,

I was wondering two things:

First - do you think that if blizz upped the cap of festering wounds to 10, and changed festering strike to where it gave a constant amount of wounds, would that in and of itself be a major buff for unholy atm? was thinking of an application of 3 wounds that it would give as a constant, where it has a chance on crit to apply an additional one?

second - what is your opinion on most of the legendaries available to unholy? personally, i think the one that lacks the most would be the ring, with the 10% chance of it proccing something that you will rarely notice it proccing. I would like to see them do with the ring what they did with the paladin belt, and change it to something else, like the abom has  a % chance to apply outbreak/virulent plague, or expand more on doing something with the abomination. 

idk if i'm one of the the only ones that sees the legendary ability of the ring very lacking or not.

#iamtotallydrtainbelieveme

having festering apply a fixed amount with crit being possible to apply an additional one would certainly help with some of the main RNG problems with unholy. It would make dps more constant and predictable. Having a higher wound cap wouldn't necessary help as much especially now with instructors fourths effectiveness being diminished again. But yes certainly removal of any rng aspect would help out a lot. 

Uvanimor is in fact a rather underwhelming legendary and is ranked quite low on unholy's legendary charts. However, we have some many good ones and especially with the upcoming patch 7.2.5 we are getting two really great ones. The new ring is amazing and the chest is appearing to be a giant dps boost. So while we do have some craptastic ones we have some good ones and will soon have some really awesome ones :D

edit: apparently now in 7.2.5 uvanimor is strong now, yay patch day

3 hours ago, demonardvark said:

edit: apparently now in 7.2.5 uvanimor is strong now, yay patch day

do you think you could elaborate on how it is strong? because since nothing changed on it, im presuming its one of the talents/abilities of unholy dk, which in my opinion would make the belt even better than the ring?

@Relenquiem I imagine the upping cap of wounds, but making it constant would provide a negligent amount of dps increase or decrease. The ring currently is lack luster, and I imagine the only way to improve it would be something along the lines of revamping it. Something like, 20% chance to apply a festering wound. Would probably make it better. I don't know really.

i was basing off maxweiis guide. so basically with the tier 20 set, the sudden doom proc rate nerf, and the decrease in bursting wounds from instructors our rotational speed has slowed down quite a bit in ptr testing. from that it was viewed that the rune generation from the ring is now more valuable as we won't be as over bloated on resources. So the value was increased. Its still not an absolute top you must have legendary but its apparently to the community much more powerful now that our rotational speed has changed. 

4 hours ago, Relenquiem said:

ok that makes more sense

Glad that you got your question sorted :) thanks both of you for helping!

On 6/13/2017 at 8:45 PM, Blainie said:

Glad that you got your question sorted :) thanks both of you for helping!

he looks a tad grumpy but i've used the terminator one too many times and felt the need to diversify 

thumbs-up-slice-600x200.jpg

On 6/16/2017 at 11:58 AM, demonardvark said:

he looks a tad grumpy but i've used the terminator one too many times and felt the need to diversify 

Need to expand your library!

Just wanted to point out that with the launch of ToS and the shoulders now being best all around legendary with either chest or ring (chest for ST, ring for AoE) that Shadow Infusion and Dark Arbiter are now better talents, dont know if this will continue with the 2 and 4 set bonuses. Also Unholy Frenzy provides massive dps as it is easy to maintain 100% uptime on all ToS boss fights.

Dont know how accurate this is but have run some sims and been watching the talent choices of top tier UH DKs.

Guest Nick

why does this guide get an update every month or so? (if we are lucky). Please do something about it

• Like 1

@MrBrettimus

I play darby build, and from what i have played around with, i still like the concept of having necrosis over Shadow infusion, moreso because of the downtime of your burst, unless its an aoe fight then either or. personally for me, i tested my abom aa dmg while being transformed and while not being, and it honestly wasnt that big of a dps jump. no only that, but since shadow infusion cd is 1m, it will always be up for your burst. so why not go necrosis for the 1.5-2m downtime you are at. these are my opinions, and i am running shoulders/chest combo with 0 t20 pieces atm and doing very high numbers during burst phase and cd phase of darby build.

also my crit, haste, mastery, and verse, in order, are: 11%, 22%, 88%, and 6%

Edited by Relenquiem

7 hours ago, Relenquiem said:

@MrBrettimus

I play darby build, and from what i have played around with, i still like the concept of having necrosis over Shadow infusion, moreso because of the downtime of your burst, unless its an aoe fight then either or. personally for me, i tested my abom aa dmg while being transformed and while not being, and it honestly wasnt that big of a dps jump. no only that, but since shadow infusion cd is 1m, it will always be up for your burst. so why not go necrosis for the 1.5-2m downtime you are at. these are my opinions, and i am running shoulders/chest combo with 0 t20 pieces atm and doing very high numbers during burst phase and cd phase of darby build.

also my crit, haste, mastery, and verse, in order, are: 11%, 22%, 88%, and 6%

What is the darby build? Its not a name im familiar with. The issue with necrosis is that you want to be building rp for when dark arbiter pops so you can boost her dps even more on top of shoulders. So you cant get max use out of necrosis.

Im not an expert. Just like bouncing ideas to hopefully create the ultimate deathknight army to rampage across azeroth.