FORUMS
Damien

Protection Warrior 7.3

@Blainie mind sharing where Marok shares his findings? - i try to keep track of the prot warrior thread on mmo champ too, but it has many new (irrelavant) posts :) having said that, the latest comments suggest marok even said he wasn't sure about vers being best atm - since i've been gearing haste -mastery, if i should suddenly go vers-mastery i would like to be sure since raids open next week!

Cheers,Eko

Guest Tao
7 hours ago, weaverk said:

@Blainie mind sharing where Marok shares his findings? - i try to keep track of the prot warrior thread on mmo champ too, but it has many new (irrelavant) posts :) having said that, the latest comments suggest marok even said he wasn't sure about vers being best atm - since i've been gearing haste -mastery, if i should suddenly go vers-mastery i would like to be sure since raids open next week!

Cheers,Eko

Haste-Mastery is fine; it's a solid hybrid of DPS/Survivability.  For pure survival though, it's very much Versatility-Mastery.  The right choice for you depends on several factors, not the least of which is how much faith you have in your healers.

On 9/16/2016 at 11:50 PM, Guest Badgerlord said:

So out of curiosity what are the best Trinkets to have? I have the one that silences mages when they cast spells on me, and one from the Eye that gives me a shield that when it expires blasts everything around me for frost damage, I imagine the latter isn't a very good one but it was my highest trinket I had.

Any advice would be great!

Just tagging you here to note the advice Tao gave, just in case you missed it.

Ember of NullificationEmber of Nullification is great, the second one isn't bad since it gives a nice chunk of Versatility as a flat stat. These two should be fine for pre-raid. There aren't AMAZING trinkets to be found outside of these, except the other one or two that have Versatility on them.

On 9/17/2016 at 11:54 PM, weaverk said:

Cheers,Eko

The Warrior discord is normally the best place to stay up to date with everything concerning theorycrafting. You can find links to it in Orthios' post

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Guest Captain Moo said:

Hello, my question is about the yellow (3) artifact path:

Why is  Will to Survive  taken instead of  Toughness  ? 

A stronger defensive cooldown is better than a small amount of HP all the time. We are given more than enough HP with the gear we get, it's just a tiny bonus. If you're not getting 1-2 shot by a boss, you have enough HP. The buffed Last Stand can be used to soak big hits/abilities.

On 9/17/2016 at 4:41 PM, Guest UndeadWar said:

What about passing on a higher item level for better stats? I just equipped boots that were 835 that had +vers for some that had +critical strike that were 840, stam and str changes were only likle 40 each.

In this case, I would take the Vers boots. If it's main stat vs. low prio stat, always take the main stat unless it is a HUGE item level gap. (a difficulty tier of item level gap)

Guest Criminy

The startattack macro for Devastate is unnecessary. Ever since Cataclysm or Mists of Pandaria, attacks that require a target (Shield Slam, Devastate) automatically activate auto-attack.

I would recommend a startattack macro for attacks that do NOT require a target such as Thunderclap and Revenge (as of Legion).

Thanks for the guide. I hope this helps improve it for others.

On 9/20/2016 at 10:39 PM, Guest Criminy said:

The startattack macro for Devastate is unnecessary. Ever since Cataclysm or Mists of Pandaria, attacks that require a target (Shield Slam, Devastate) automatically activate auto-attack.

I would recommend a startattack macro for attacks that do NOT require a target such as Thunderclap and Revenge (as of Legion).

Thanks for the guide. I hope this helps improve it for others.

Thanks for pointing that out! Will change it, it seems to have been overlooked when updating the guides. Thanks again :)

4 hours ago, Guest Hokuspokus said:

when will a bis list for raid gear come out?

The problem with listing a BiS list is that, with so many different sources of gear now available due to crazy levels of upgraded loot, you literally just need to look for gear with the best stats that you then hope will roll a high warforged level.

Technically, a piece from a heroic dungeon could be better than raid piece due to it rolling a HUGE upgrade.

I'll note down that this is missing though and see if we can get one updated and put up :)

Guest Alyndor

I got Writhing Heart of Darkness as a 850. Is it better to take this or for example a 835 strength/mastery or strength/haste trinket? in the other slot i have the strength/versatility slot. 

Why do they put crit on tank trinkets anyways -_-'

2 hours ago, Guest Alyndor said:

I got Writhing Heart of Darkness as a 850. Is it better to take this or for example a 835 strength/mastery or strength/haste trinket? in the other slot i have the strength/versatility slot. 

Why do they put crit on tank trinkets anyways -_-'

Yes, it is better.

Guest Stallion

I would love a detailed explanation of why versatility is better for survivability than mastery. I tried to calculate the value of both with an excel sheet and came to the conclusion that they are almost equally strong in that regard (and basically identical in regards to IP).

You can read more about it in my EU forum post. I'd be happy to get a discussion going :) http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17613451864#1

2 hours ago, Guest Stallion said:

I would love a detailed explanation of why versatility is better for survivability than mastery. I tried to calculate the value of both with an excel sheet and came to the conclusion that they are almost equally strong in that regard (and basically identical in regards to IP).

You can read more about it in my EU forum post. I'd be happy to get a discussion going :) http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17613451864#1

Double dipping. Mastery WOULD be better if double dipping didn't occur.

When Versatility is used by a Warrior, it buffs the absorption amount given by IP, as well as reducing the damage taken by the IP shield. On top of this, it's a buff to general healing and damage. Versatility also reduces ALL damage, not just physical.

Definitely the best stat.

Just checking are their any early opinions on how the September 27th balance changes to protection will or won't affect the stat priorities that have been posted.  I'm referring to the reduction to the vengeance talent and the passive changes to several rage generation abilities?

Generic comment being mass posted over the comments threads guys.

We are aware of the changes and our writers are working hard to update the guides to suit what has changed. Currently, there is a lot of work still to be done and it's unlikely that every guide will be up-to-date immediately. Expect a flood of updates over the coming days that will answer all of your questions about what is now best after X change, in time for the reset next week.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

10 hours ago, Mickeyjay said:

Just checking are their any early opinions on how the September 27th balance changes to protection will or won't affect the stat priorities that have been posted.  I'm referring to the reduction to the vengeance talent and the passive changes to several rage generation abilities?

See above. Thanks!

Guest Nightlyfe

Can anyone good with macros make an intercept macro that targets my focus if I'm not already targeting a friendly player?

I often focus my healer in dungeons and my other tank in raids. And in the latter scenario it would be really nice to just set this focus instead of putting their name in. (Especially with all the weird çhàŕăćťëřš)

Guest Falba@Silvermoon

Hey, just checked your opinion on Legendaries and stumbled over this:

The other legendary items available to Protection Paladins cannot compete with the ones we have listed, and choosing between them will be a matter of preference.

You might want to correct that copied phrase to the correct class.

Guest Badgerlord
5 hours ago, Guest Nightlyfe said:

Can anyone good with macros make an intercept macro that targets my focus if I'm not already targeting a friendly player?

I often focus my healer in dungeons and my other tank in raids. And in the latter scenario it would be really nice to just set this focus instead of putting their name in. (Especially with all the weird çhàŕăćťëřš)

I don't think you can do that, I have two intercept macros, one for the other tank, one for my focus target.

12 hours ago, Guest Nightlyfe said:

This one should work. Let me know if it doesn't:

#showtooltip
/cast [@focus,harm,nodead][]Intercept

Hope it helps!

11 hours ago, Guest Falba@Silvermoon said:

Hey, just checked your opinion on Legendaries and stumbled over this:

Noted that down, thanks for catching it! Sometimes these things do slip by our checks, so it's always good to have it pointed out. Will be fixed ASAP!

Hello, i just had another follow up question regarding the tuning changes to rage gen related specifically to part of the rotation.  The rotation page states to only use revenge in the gcd before a shield slam and instead fish the extra sword and board procs with devastate replacing it as standard instead.  Does this priority still apply with the decrease in the rage difference between shield slam and revenge after the Sep 27th nerf?  This refers purely to single target rotation

2 hours ago, Mickeyjay said:

Hello, i just had another follow up question regarding the tuning changes to rage gen related specifically to part of the rotation.  The rotation page states to only use revenge in the gcd before a shield slam and instead fish the extra sword and board procs with devastate replacing it as standard instead.  Does this priority still apply with the decrease in the rage difference between shield slam and revenge after the Sep 27th nerf?  This refers purely to single target rotation

I'll double check this for you, I'm not actually sure. Will ask and let you know.