FORUMS
Damien

Havoc Demon Hunter 7.3

1 hour ago, Astrinaar said:

What I mean is that you could completely remove either one of the chaos cleave steps, and the rotation would be the same. 
Use CS at 3 or fewer targets before BD, or
Use BD at 4 or more targets, then use CS.
Both equate to the same result, that CS should be used at 3 or less targets, with Chaos Cleave being irrelevant. 

I don't have the numbers myself, but I think the correct way to write it would be to change the target amount for BD to 3 or more. Then Chaos Cleave would still make CS better at 3 targets, but without Chaos Cleave it would be better to use BD at 3 targets. 

Here's the math that makes me believe that the rotation is wrong
Assuming CS with Cleave is best at 3, and BD best at 4.
On 3 targets without cleave, CS deals 33% less dmg. BD at 4 targets used on 3 targets instead, deals 25% less damage. With above info, BD at 4 targets is already a higher number, and it's reduced by less than CS is. Because of that it seems wrong that CS would be better to use on 3 targets without cleave, as the current rotation suggests. 

If CS is, for some reason, better to use at 3 targets without cleave anyway, then you can remove step 5 OR step 7 from the list, without changing the rotation.

You make a good point at the doubled up priority lists there. It's mostly my fault for assuming pre-existing knowledge of consistent 3+ targets means you never should have Chaos Cleave active, but it makes sense to account for it. Blade Dance only ever becomes worthwhile at 4+ targets so that's why the breakpoint is in there at that specific number, whilst Cleave is worth it in any situation where there are 3 or less targets, but it is poorly ordered there largely because of that assumption with talent selections. I'll ammend that asap for clarity.

Guest Gricarr

While I agree that in organized group content prepared is the likely best choice with later talents, two things jump to mind, 1 for solo content (questing etc NOT PVP though unless they changed the pvp heal penalty) at 100 demonic appetite is almost a necessity to survive and thus is the likely go to choice in that scenario, and prepared isn't as good without mobility anyway such that for LFR and LFG content I might still spec appetite to compensate for healing deficiencies. 

(I'm leaving demon blades out because I just hate the way it plays :P).  With fel rush moving around to catch the orbs isn't too difficult and the added healing (and rage) is pretty nice esp at 100.  characterizing appetite with an "X" is a tad harsh IMO as there are clearly scenarios where it is the right choice just not necessarily max dps.

3 minutes ago, Guest Gricarr said:

While I agree that in organized group content prepared is the likely best choice with later talents, two things jump to mind, 1 for solo content (questing etc NOT PVP though unless they changed the pvp heal penalty) at 100 demonic appetite is almost a necessity to survive and thus is the likely go to choice in that scenario, and prepared isn't as good without mobility anyway such that for LFR and LFG content I might still spec appetite to compensate for healing deficiencies. 

(I'm leaving demon blades out because I just hate the way it plays :P).  With fel rush moving around to catch the orbs isn't too difficult and the added healing (and rage) is pretty nice esp at 100.  characterizing appetite with an "X" is a tad harsh IMO as there are clearly scenarios where it is the right choice just not necessarily max dps.

2. Talent Cheat Sheet

Although Demon Hunters during the pre-patch have very little in the way of choices and build variance, there are still ideal builds to take in different situations when adjusting to the new playstyle.

2.1. Open World, Levelling and Questing

This build is very much focused upon your open world gameplay allowing for additional resources when jumping between short encounters.

2.2. Dungeons and Raids

If you're looking for the most effective group content talents, this will provide the most consistent output and augment your rotation the best.

Will this guide be updated to include the different choices in the Artifact Weapon path when Legion drops? Since thats something that required alot of testing to figure out what path is the best.

2 hours ago, Braonain said:

Will this guide be updated to include the different choices in the Artifact Weapon path when Legion drops? Since thats something that required alot of testing to figure out what path is the best.

Yeah when Legion is closer to its full fledged launch everything here will be overhauled for 110 content and updated with information such as that.

Guest Gricarr
3 hours ago, Blainie said:

2. Talent Cheat Sheet

Although Demon Hunters during the pre-patch have very little in the way of choices and build variance, there are still ideal builds to take in different situations when adjusting to the new playstyle.

2.1. Open World, Levelling and Questing

This build is very much focused upon your open world gameplay allowing for additional resources when jumping between short encounters.

2.2. Dungeons and Raids

If you're looking for the most effective group content talents, this will provide the most consistent output and augment your rotation the best.

I see that, but it isn't in the talent explanations that way, which has a big red X.  normally they use a ? to denote use cases like this. 

27 minutes ago, Guest Snuff said:

Looks like the weak aura string is dead :/

That should be updated and linked

5 minutes ago, Guest Gricarr said:

I see that, but it isn't in the talent explanations that way, which has a big red X.  normally they use a ? to denote use cases like this. 

The thing with that is that DA is really, really poor in group play which is what the general leaning of the guide is. The note regarding DA is there for Solo play, but leaving it open regarding which you take there is questionable given how much worse it is compared to both alternatives.

Guest Colz

So just to make sure, eye beam is not used in any single target environments correct?

Wow! Amazing guide! Love it!

Especally "Spell Summary". I've played the DH for some Hours and I learned new things!

10 hours ago, Guest Colz said:

So just to make sure, eye beam is not used in any single target environments correct?

not currently, no

Guest Spanosa

Why is Throw Glaive in the Demon Blade rotation if you can't gain Fury while having a gcd? Seems counter-intuitive.

Just now, Guest Spanosa said:

Why is Throw Glaive in the Demon Blade rotation if you can't gain Fury while having a gcd? Seems counter-intuitive.

Demon Blades saves up charges, so being on GCD is not as punishing as it appears. If, say, you would have procced during that Throw Glaive GCD but cast it instead because it was empty, your following Demon Blades will proc twice instead for double the Fury and damage, so nothing is wasted.

Guest Spanosa
17 minutes ago, wordup said:

Demon Blades saves up charges, so being on GCD is not as punishing as it appears. If, say, you would have procced during that Throw Glaive GCD but cast it instead because it was empty, your following Demon Blades will proc twice instead for double the Fury and damage, so nothing is wasted.

Ahh, that's really interesting. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Sugartits said:

how can you tell how much fury you have, i dont see any notification of stacks

Fury is a resource bar like Energy or Fury, from 0-100 in the prepatch.

Just now, Sugartits said:

0.o oh. ok i use elvUI i dont really even see that! but damn thanks for letting me know lol

Not sure about ElvUI problems since I don't personally use it, but it should show in the same places as a standard resource bar, but there might be some problems picking it up. In the addons/macros section there's a link to a weakaura for the resource bar if you use WA, which should cover it :)

Greetings, 

Based on the ability tooltips, while in normal form, Chaos strike does some more damage than Blade Dance. However, i have noticed that during Metamorphosis , the new upgraded abilities tend to reverse damage wise. Meaning that Death Sweep's tooltip indicates that it actually does a little more damage than Annihilation.

Anyone have noticed this as well? If the above is actually true, would it be optimal to use Death Sweep on CD during Metamorphosis?

Edit: Also any idea why the tooltip of "Darkness" (Havoc Spec) sometimes reads "15%" avoidance and others "20%"? Which is it..? :P

Edited by TeoStrife

5 hours ago, TeoStrife said:

Greetings, 

Based on the ability tooltips, while in normal form, Chaos strike does some more damage than Blade Dance. However, i have noticed that during Metamorphosis , the new upgraded abilities tend to reverse damage wise. Meaning that Death Sweep's tooltip indicates that it actually does a little more damage than Annihilation.

Anyone have noticed this as well? If the above is actually true, would it be optimal to use Death Sweep on CD during Metamorphosis?

Edit: Also any idea why the tooltip of "Darkness" (Havoc Spec) sometimes reads "15%" avoidance and others "20%"? Which is it..? :P

The tooltip is misleading if you're looking at just the number on it. Remember that Chaos Strike/Annihilation are both Chaos, so ignore armor, and have the chance to refund 20 Fury which increases their value to cast compared to both Blade Dance and Death Sweep significantly.

Darkness is currently 20%, it's been changed around and some mining from tooltips are dated, but as of right now, 20% is the value it reduces it by.

I was wondering if anyone has tried macros for demon hunter dps I made one the other day that seems to work well

#showtooltip Fel Rush

/castsequence Reset=15 Fel Rush,Throw Glaive,Vengeful Retreat,Fel Rush

I even went as far as to add a no mod and shift mod to it so I can just cast Fel Rush out of sequence by holding shift but I wont get into that now.  It seems so far everyone I talk to hasn't seen or come up with anything like this so just wanted to help out if I could. You will have to hit the button 4 times but it works like a charm. As a note I would like to add that I Picked Fel Mastery and Prepared as my talents.

Also I have a second macro that is much like the first that I can use if I am already in melee range of the group:

#showtooltip Fel Rush

/castsequence [nomodifier] Reset=15 Throw Glaive,Vengeful Retreat,Fel Rush

/cast [modifier:shift] Fel Rush

I add in the Modifier so I can use Fel Rush independently.

This also works well with your metamorphosis since it can be used as the first Fel rush in a pull type situation.

Edited by Orielberyl
left a few things out

Guest Eveonor

So... am I doing it wrong if I am using Vengeful Rethreat and then instead of running back to boss I just use Fel Rush to get to him and continue normal rotation?

I have also another question. " Cast Fel Rush IconFel Rush with Fel Mastery IconFel Mastery taken at 70 or lower Fury, or if you are about to hit 2 charges." or " Cast Fel Rush IconFel Rush with Fel Mastery IconFel Mastery taken at 70 or lower Fury, or if you are about to hit 2 charges at >3 targets"

Does it mean that I have to damage enemies with both charges of Fel Rush or does it mean that the spell is going to refill soon and I should avoid stacking it to 2, that one charge should always be used?

If I am using demon blades as my tier 2 talent. Exactly how much fury can 1 swing generate? and why would you want to risk going all the way up to 70 energy since ive generated more than 30 energy in 1 attack meaning wasted fury.

Edit:

After testing, the values you have given are incorrect,  Demon Blades on the other hand slows down your pace significantly by removing your active generation tool Demon's Bite IconDemon's Bite, and replacing it with a 75% chance proc from auto attacks to deal additional Shadow damage and grant 10-15 Fury. From what i've tested, each swing can generate 15-35 fury meaning that 2 melee weapon swings can generate at least 30 fury and at max 70 fury.

Edited by leapingshadow