FORUMS
Damien

Aggro Freeze Mage Standard

Guest Someordinaryguy

Played 6 games, won 6 games. I love aggro mage.
[merged]
This deck is very effective. I played six games and I won six games. I forgotten how much I loved aggro mage

Edited by positiv2
merged

Trump played this for a while at the end of last season, his YouTube has three or four vids of it. He plays it very well, getting to Legend with a 23-7 record so might help people learning the deck (the last vid is here).

If, like me, you haven't played much freeze mage before it takes quite a while to get the hang of. I tanked from about 1000th to 7000th (EU) while playing it last season. Was starting to get the hang of it but not ready to risk ladder progress with it yet. It's great fun to play though.

On 10/10/2016 at 10:15 PM, Bozonik said:

Trump played this for a while at the end of last season, his YouTube has three or four vids of it. He plays it very well, getting to Legend with a 23-7 record so might help people learning the deck (the last vid is here).

If, like me, you haven't played much freeze mage before it takes quite a while to get the hang of. I tanked from about 1000th to 7000th (EU) while playing it last season. Was starting to get the hang of it but not ready to risk ladder progress with it yet. It's great fun to play though.

Thanks for linking that video, hopefully it can help those that are struggling!

I'd just like to mention something that is missing in the guide: Frost Nova can be used offensively to net you more minion damage even after you have lost the board. By freezing up your opponent's minions, you also prevent them from attacking into yours, so playing a turn like nova+apprentice/valet/etc can easily give you that extra bit of reach in a lot of situations. This has won me countless games with this deck.

On 10/24/2016 at 9:04 AM, Keizoku said:

Jesus H. Christ, the sooner Reno Jackson rotates out of standard, the better...

Do I sense a bit of salt? For real though, it's a nightmare vs. this deck.

16 hours ago, JooBatanete said:

I'd just like to mention something that is missing in the guide: Frost Nova can be used offensively to net you more minion damage even after you have lost the board. By freezing up your opponent's minions, you also prevent them from attacking into yours, so playing a turn like nova+apprentice/valet/etc can easily give you that extra bit of reach in a lot of situations. This has won me countless games with this deck.

Interesting point. I imagine it would need to be added cautiously, in case people start wasting it to push damage that should otherwise be skipped on to prevent more damage in the long run. Will see what we can do anyway, thanks!

3 hours ago, Blainie said:

Do I sense a bit of salt?

A whole sea of it; but let us just say the bottom of my heart opinion about that card isn't fit for publishing so I summarised!  :p

• Like 1

Guest JustForgotten

I've had really bad luck with this deck, escpecially witht he doomsayer, I've had games in which I had everything ready, but the doomsayer is literally always the last card in my deck, i really don't know why but it sucks so bad for me.

Really fun deck!  As said above, Trump has 3 videos showcasing this deck.  So if you are having trouble, watch him play and learn why he plays what and when.  It's a really good visual companion to this written guide I think.  So satisfying burning your opponent while they have an upper hand on the board and you take them from 26 to 0! 

Guest Monsy

How to deal with the warrior decks? They gain SO much armor, the spells AND minions in this deck are simply not enough, or am I missing something? Just started playing this deck after watching trumps videos and reading the guide here, but so far I have 2 wins and 11 losses, brought me from rank 14 to 17. Of course playning the deck is not easy but I have the feeling that with the current meta it has a hard time due to massive armor warriors and reno decks. What do you think?

2 hours ago, Guest Monsy said:

How to deal with the warrior decks? They gain SO much armor, the spells AND minions in this deck are simply not enough, or am I missing something? Just started playing this deck after watching trumps videos and reading the guide here, but so far I have 2 wins and 11 losses, brought me from rank 14 to 17. Of course playning the deck is not easy but I have the feeling that with the current meta it has a hard time due to massive armor warriors and reno decks. What do you think?

This deck struggles against reno decks and control warrior/priest decks. This makes freeze mage a suboptimal choice when it comes to decks in current meta - mage as whole is currently in a very bad shape, sadly. 

Against a deck with a lot of healing (priest or Reno), your win condition will be a one turn kill (thalanos, sorc apprentice, 2x frost bolt, 2x ice lance, 2x roaring torch for 32 dmg). 

In those cases use minions, fireballs, and forgotten torch to clear the board and chip away at their health until you have the damage in hand to get the one turn kill. 

An extra trick vs Reno warlock can be to keep cold light oracle in the mulligan. Since they almost always pass on turn one and life tap on turn two you can over draw them on turn 3 or 4 with the oracle. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JoJoBa said:

How is this deck fitting in the current meta? Like versus Reno, Jade and specially Pirate Warrior right now?

Not that well, sadly. You should still be able to reach good ranks with it, but don't expect anything wondrous. 

Guest Guestyes

Where could I fit Alextrasza in this deck? I feel she would help alot. 

8 minutes ago, Guest Guestyes said:

Where could I fit Alextrasza in this deck? I feel she would help alot. 

In place of Coldlight Oracle, as you can't afford to run it in current meta. Most of the time it refills your opponent's hand as well, or it helps your opponent dig for Reno Jackson.

Guest Guest Ferhat

Can someone explain why Leeroy Jenkins is in this Deck ? and what does he have to do ?

Why is there no Frost Nova ? Is this Deck not too "squishy" without ? 

1 hour ago, Guest Guest Ferhat said:

Can someone explain why Leeroy Jenkins is in this Deck ? and what does he have to do ?

Why is there no Frost Nova ? Is this Deck not too "squishy" without ? 

Leeroy is merely an overcosted Fireball as the deck falls slightly short on damage without Ice Lance.   Frost Nova can be included but the deck functions fine without it, Primordial Glyph can function well in that role when needed.   In addition to this, the true aggro deck in the meta, Pirate Warrior, doesn't care too much about Frost Nova, at a time you will want to use it they will be using purely Weapons and Chargers.

Guest Guest Ferhat
4 hours ago, Pesty said:

Leeroy is merely an overcosted Fireball as the deck falls slightly short on damage without Ice Lance.   Frost Nova can be included but the deck functions fine without it, Primordial Glyph can function well in that role when needed.   In addition to this, the true aggro deck in the meta, Pirate Warrior, doesn't care too much about Frost Nova, at a time you will want to use it they will be using purely Weapons and Chargers.

So is this deck worse than before Un'goro or does the new added cards balance that ?

1 hour ago, Guest Guest Ferhat said:

So is this deck worse than before Un'goro or does the new added cards balance that ?

Worse is a relative term, every deck in the format lowered in power level due to the standard rotation.  However as Aggro Freeze Mage is performing better in the current meta than it was before the rotation, due to Arcanologist and Primordial Glyph being added to the set, but also thanks to Reno and Justicar rotating out.

Guest Bob Loblaw

Been having lots of success on the ladder with this deck.  Priests, Hunters, and Murloc Shaman are troublesome.  Taunt Warrior is very difficult with this deck.  And I've started to see more and more Hunters adding Flare making this a highly unfavorable matchup.

On the good side, outside of a perfect draw from Questing Rogue, this deck is almost an instant win against Rogue and Druid.  And I'm fairly certain it's impossible to lose to questing Mage.