FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stoove

Your Favourite Cataclysm Instance

Good morning!

I was just wondering what people's favourite instances are from the current expansion pack. It can be anything - Dungeon, Raid, whatever. I just want to see what people thought of everything and their reasons for liking things. I'll go first:

My favourite instance in Cata has probably been the Firelands. Firelands was such an exciting and challenging raid with unique mechanics and very challenging bosses. I had to play hard to keep up, and I liked it!

On top of that, the instance was really well pushed with a daily questing zone and backstory, an interesting final boss and some really stunning visual design. While at the time I was rather over-exposed to red/orange, I think that looking back it's still way more interesting than the current tier's theme of grey/brown Wrath style areas.

Let us know what you think! :D

Edited by Stoove

I think for myself it is Blackwing Descent. Being a healer I LOVED Chimaeron. We had some epic fights against him, with our rogue tanking him for what seemed an age, our holy paladin seemingly not being able to grasp what "healing debuff" meant in the last phase, then shitting himself and running in to melee when I was shouting at him!

The elevator boss was obviously pro, especially with fail spell_holy_layonhands.jpgLevitate from myself, engineers parachutes and rocket boots failing and dropping into Nefarian and pulling him etc.

We also used pretty random tactics for Magmaw and Atramedes, which helped me improve my raid leading a fair bit.

It a shame the instance just didnt have that "epic" feel to it. Sadly just having 2-3 trash mobs before another boss wing room etc was a little lame. But I think the encounters made up for it.

I love Firelands as well but I think they went OTT with trash on that one!

Looks like my post was lost in the mail. I was simply saying that I liked Well of Eternity very much because of all the lore information. It's too bad the other Hour of Twilight heroic dungeons weren't as good.

Favorite Raid - Bastion of Twilight followed closely by Blackwing Descent. I really liked every fight in both of those instances, very engaging mechanics.

Favorite Dungeon - Grim Batol. Loved the use of the dragon bombing runs to lessen the trash. You really felt like you made a difference being good at it.

All in all, I really enjoyed the initial cata stuff. The raid progression options were tops in my book. 3 raids, 4 starting bosses and in BWD you had 3 bosses to choose from after clearing the first 2!

Edited by Vladamyr

I'd have to agree with BWD. As it came out first gear was a bit lower to begin with with respect to the upgrades when they dropped. It also took a bit longer to complete & at the time we had a particularly nice raiding group.

However I must say my favourite cata raid 'moment' was the hole in the floor in BoT where you could make people fall out! Johan saying to me 'I want to take a screen shot of you in that corner. Back a little, no to the right.' I was worried... for all the wrong reasons!

I agree that BWD was good, I liked it a lot but I think due to the raid environment (ie the people), Firelands edged out somewhat. That combined with the frankly awesome tier set visual design really made it. (Shaman T12 Heroic is still my favourite set ever).

I think that the idea behind BoT was actually great, it was just a pity it was so... gloomy? Maybe it was just me, but it felt too prohibitive and linear compared to BWD. Still, that tier was really awesome in my book. :)

OMG Well of Eternity definately! Any instance that has that much lore and dialogue makes me happy, not only from an RP standpoint, but also because i get giddy setting up my silly Macros that interject into the dialogue thruout the entire instance making it quite comedic and more fun for everyone running it with me :) i get rather silly... rather often..... imagine that. Posted Image

In terms of raids I think that BWD is my favourite, mainly because of the reasons Peelyon listed (especially our healer who didn't understand the healing debuff :D) and also because I was still raiding properly then. Ah those were the days!

And for dungeons I think I would have to go for Grim Batol :)

It would have to be BWD as the raid. While I didn't get a chance to kill stupid Nefarian, I actually loved the environment and the bosses are just darn so fun. If my guild would have let me to pick what raid to do, it would be always BWD.

As for the dungeons, my notable favorite is Lost City of Tol'vir. The bosses are fun, and the setting fits the dungeon perfectly.

I loved Atrimedes in BWD as well as chimerion - fond memories.

I think secretly everyone likes BWD for the lift boss - you had to have some skills to beat it! ;)

Edited by Neridae
  • Like 2

Blackwing Descent and Bastion of Twilight for sure. They had some really cool bosses and the places were very varied. Firelands was all fire, and it got dull very quickly. Dragon Soul has been going on for quite some time now and I'm getting bored as well. Can't wait for the next tier, I hope it'll be amazing.

I loved Atrimedes in BWD as well as chimerion - fond memories.

I think secretly everyone likes BWD for the lift boss - you had to have some skills to beat it! Posted Image

And if you are a very tallented priest you can kill people on the lift boss...

I am not a priest.

• Like 2

Hehe, I died to the lift boss once ever - I put myself on /follow for my mage friend when we were doing attempts on Nefarian (I had to go afk for whatever reason)... he put slowfall on me and managed to coax me off the edge =.=

I think my favorite raid is a tossup between BoT and DS. I like the feel of a chain of bosses to get the final boss. Makes it feel like I'm actually assaulting some enemy stronghold.

I think Grim Batol would be my favorite 5-man though. I've always wanted to creep around in there since seeing it in the Wetlands in Vanilla and knowing the lore of the place. I only wish it would have been a small questing hub in there along with the dungeon. Build more of a clearcut story as to why the Twilight's Hammer was in there and stuff besides just making eggs or whatever.

Hehe, I died to the lift boss once ever - I put myself on /follow for my mage friend when we were doing attempts on Nefarian (I had to go afk for whatever reason)... he put slowfall on me and managed to coax me off the edge =.=

Just ONCE? On a serious raid night we would be lucky to only have one casualty... Clearly to pro for your own good! I am either impatient and get off too early OR press auto run and erm run right off. Or just not be paying enough attention. Either way it is the bosses with the simplest tactics that can be the hardest to master!

Well the rest of the raid tended to die a lot, until the raid leader got frustrate with the timewasting. Someone ended up getting an earful for it :P

I liked Grim Batol the best, I would say.

As for the raids, Firelands was pretty cool, if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

As for the raids, Firelands was pretty cool, if you know what I mean.

/sigh! xD