Damien

Heroes of the Storm Varian

27 posts in this topic

This thread is for comments about our Varian guide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the versatility Varian brings to the table. It is nice to see his character having such a strong representation in the game. Glory to the Alliance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Valhalen said:

I really like the versatility Varian brings to the table. It is nice to see his character having such a strong representation in the game. Glory to the Alliance!

Definitely. He allows you to play as required depending on the setup you're facing, rather than just adjusting a talent or two, you get a new hero!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guest Salt said:

Is this a joke? You post here varian before he is on live servers but you wont even do samuro.

This is mainly down to the fact that different writers complete different guides. This means that the writer of the Varian guide may have nothing to do with the Samuro one.

With a revamp coming to many of the guides on our site for HoTS, it means some of the guides are slightly slower to be updated. In honesty, I can only apologise and ask once more for your patience!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

56 minutes ago, Blainie said:

With a revamp coming to many of the guides on our site for HoTS, it means some of the guides are slightly slower to be updated. In honesty, I can only apologise and ask once more for your patience!

Does Varian's guide follow this new model? I noticed the info is more condensed within the main guide page, which is much better than the current format.

Edited by Valhalen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to point out that your choice of Heroic effects the damage bonus from High King's Quest.  With Colossus Smash I was receiving 17 damage per quest at lvl20, with Twin Swords of Fury it's only 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a hard time believing that Johanna is a counter to Varian when his Talent Shield Shatter is possibly the best anti-Johanna tech in the game. Instantly turn off her trait and end her unstoppable... hmmm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guest Dunamis said:

I have a hard time believing that Johanna is a counter to Varian when his Talent Shield Shatter is possibly the best anti-Johanna tech in the game. Instantly turn off her trait and end her unstoppable... hmmm...

Ironically I just won a game versus Johanna because of Shattering Throw. You are absolutely right, of course. 

Thanks for putting it up here! Will be fixed immediately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16.11.2016 at 0:58 AM, Valhalen said:

 

Does Varian's guide follow this new model? I noticed the info is more condensed within the main guide page, which is much better than the current format.

It does, yeah. We're always trying new things to make the site as useful to our readers as possible, so hopefully the new formats will be a big hit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16.11.2016 at 7:59 AM, Guest Whitewingdevil said:

I just wanted to point out that your choice of Heroic effects the damage bonus from High King's Quest.  With Colossus Smash I was receiving 17 damage per quest at lvl20, with Twin Swords of Fury it's only 7.

Thanks for pointing that out :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minor quibble followed by actual topic for discussion: the description of parry talks about the difficulty of using it to block a strong attack and not accidentally blocking a weak one; is this from a previous build of the hero where the ability gave block stacks or something? as is you do not need to worry about "accidentally" blocking a weak attack; as long as they hit during that 1.25 seconds, there's no limit to how many attacks are parried...

 

can we chat a bit about shield wall? It feels completely crazy that a talent this good is basically never picked but, well, here we are!

Obviously Warbringer is ridiculously good; not trying to argue against that. The cooldown reduction though (even after it's nerf) seems extreme. The way things play out, shield wall might as well say "the cooldown on your charge is also increased by 8 seconds." Is it just me or is a *flat* 50% reduction on your most powerful basic ability (which normally has wquite a long CD) kind of unheard of?

 

TLDR; what would it take to make you pick shield wall, either in game or in a patch? I've picked it myself a few times in quick match and it is positively *nuts* but the forever cooldown on your charge really hurts a lot.

I think it would be really fair to reduce the base cooldown and also reduce the reduction on warbringer; something like 12 seconds going to 8 or 10 with warbringer (the stun brings a boatload of value to the talent already so the CD is really just icing on the cake imo)

Edited by Voltorocks
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the slight buff to the Parry level 1 talent, I am seeing more people pick the parry talents until taunt at level 10. Really interesting!

I've also found Colossus Smash to be extremely good against Morales, as with Charge and Smash you can get right in her face.

Great guide overall!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to update the L13 - L16 talent switches with latest patch..... Patch notes comments from Blizzard noted for better counter-play in why you pick Varian in draft.... do you think that this will impact choice whether to draft him or some other hero (e.g. full tank or bruiser) much in ranked play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2017 at 9:31 PM, FuGu said:

I've also found Colossus Smash to be extremely good against Morales, as with Charge and Smash you can get right in her face.

Definitely. Can be insanely useful for shutting her down/focusing her during team fights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2017 at 1:50 PM, Kiarbitrager said:

You need to update the L13 - L16 talent switches with latest patch..... Patch notes comments from Blizzard noted for better counter-play in why you pick Varian in draft.... do you think that this will impact choice whether to draft him or some other hero (e.g. full tank or bruiser) much in ranked play?

The talent changes aren't live yet, so we haven't updated them. As for the drafts, basically we'll see. Personally, no I don't think it will change much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't the Banner of Dalaran be useful for Fury Varian, as it increases the damages of Heroic Strike, which with the Fury procs every 3 attacks? Is that damage increase significant?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the build guide at 'strenghts' section there is still 'banners at level 13'. Please fix in accordance to the talent level switches for the hero in the game. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VitaminC said:

In the build guide at 'strenghts' section there is still 'banners at level 13'. Please fix in accordance to the talent level switches for the hero in the game. Thanks.

Thank you for pointing it out, we'll be fixing it shortly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

why in your guide for Fury Varian, you pick Overpower instead of High King Quest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Guest Smash said:

Hi there,

why in your guide for Fury Varian, you pick Overpower instead of High King Quest?

While High King's QuestHigh King's Quest's rewards are stronger, the quests take way too long to complete, which means your opponents will have a stronger position and could snowball you, as they will be benefitting from T1 talent, while you will be not. OverpowerOverpower on the other hand grants you damage as well - not only it reduces Heroic StrikeHeroic Strike's cooldown, allowing you to benefit from it more often, which obviously means more damage, but it deals more damage as well, resulting in higher damage output from the Heroic StrikeHeroic Strike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I wish the Colossus Smash ult was 0s cd..... it might be nearer to 20s!
-for your next update or whenever you see this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7. 6. 2017 at 5:14 PM, Kiarbitrager said:

While I wish the Colossus Smash ult was 0s cd..... it might be nearer to 20s!
-for your next update or whenever you see this!

Hey, sorry for that. The tooltip bot did something wrong, then once more (which is why it took so long), but has been fixed and now the displayed cooldown should be correct. Thanks for pointing this out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't Varian's High King's Quest be situational, if paired with Fury? This should be even more applicable when the enemy has murky, tlv, or other easily ganked squishy heroes. I understand in some games, it takes time for Varian to gain the attack buffs. However, the damage pay off is much higher than the other two talents. In fact, if Varian has a really good start, he can get 2/3 of his quest off and spend the next 5 minutes rotating for globes, easily landing him a finished quest at the 13 minute mark. This is especially true for Braxis. And once finished, Varian gains so much more survivability by synergy with second wind, ironforge banner, demoralizing shout/frenzy/glory to the alliance that Varian can tank as much as taunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20. 6. 2017 at 3:07 AM, Trensicourt said:

Shouldn't Varian's High King's Quest be situational, if paired with Fury? This should be even more applicable when the enemy has murky, tlv, or other easily ganked squishy heroes. I understand in some games, it takes time for Varian to gain the attack buffs. However, the damage pay off is much higher than the other two talents. In fact, if Varian has a really good start, he can get 2/3 of his quest off and spend the next 5 minutes rotating for globes, easily landing him a finished quest at the 13 minute mark. This is especially true for Braxis. And once finished, Varian gains so much more survivability by synergy with second wind, ironforge banner, demoralizing shout/frenzy/glory to the alliance that Varian can tank as much as taunt.

Yes, it should. Oxygen says High King's QuestHigh King's Quest is "the classic combo for that heroic", so if you are using Twin Blades of FuryTwin Blades of Fury, High King's QuestHigh King's Quest is the way to go. I told Kendric about his, but he is usually reluctant to change ratings, so it will likely take some time to get it changed. Sorry for inconvenience, and thank you for your patience and for pointing this issue out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Stan

      Heroes of the Storm Highlights are back with the 93rd episode of WTF Moments.
      If you have any interesting replays to share, you can submit them here, but don't forget to include a time stamp!
      Previous Episodes
      WTF Moments Episode 92 WTF Moments Episode 91 WTF Moments Episode 90 WTF Moments Episode 89
    • By Stan

      Heroes of the Storm Highlights released the 92nd episode of WTF Moments.
      The latest episode starts with Chromie gameplay, a Zeratul escapist and Kerrigan's Ravage across the map on Cursed Hollow.
      If you have any interesting replays, feel free submit them here.
      Previous Episodes
      WTF Moments Episode 91 WTF Moments Episode 90 WTF Moments Episode 89
    • By Stan

      Every Tuesday, Blizzard updates the collection with new Heroes and a fresh set of cosmetics. Next week, you can buy Malthael, Nazeebo or Tyrael!
      Don't forget to check out the ongoing sale here.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Weekly Collection Update: Oct 24 – 31, 2017

      Next week's Collection Update will begin on Tuesday, October 24! Check out the new list of featured items and Hero discounts below. Upcoming Hero Sales
      Malthael — Sale Price: 375 Gems Nazeebo — Sale Price: 250 Gems Tyrael — Sale Price: 250 Gems The following Skins and Mounts will enter the Featured Item Rotation, and will be unlockable using Gems until next week's Collection Update:
      Upcoming Featured Skins
      Crimson Grave Warden Malthael Weathered Hellflame Nazeebo Legion Mistress Kerrigan Teal Ronin Zeratul Obsidian Sir Murkalot Deputy Valla Aquatic Insectoid Zagara Shogun Artanis Demonic Tyrael Upcoming Featured Mounts
      Crimson Ringmaster's Pride Heart Stone Lucky Rainbow Unicorn Weekly Sale Bundle
      If you’d rather pick up everything at once, we’re also going to add a new Weekly Sale Bundle to the Featured tab in your Collection. This limited-time bundle contains all of the items above at a discounted Gem price, but will only be available until next week’s Collection Update takes place.
    • By Stan

      One shot, one kill! This week's brawl is Ghost Protocol, an all-Nova snipe-battle on the Towers of Doom. Play three games to earn a Hallow's End Loot Chest!
      Brawls will reward Hallow's End Loot Chests until November 17.
      Blizzard (Source)
      Lock and load, Heroes! This week's Heroes Brawl mode is Ghost Protocol, an all-Nova snipe-battle on Towers of Doom. Be sure to practice your aim before heading into battle, because every shot counts in this game mode – Snipe not only instantly kills enemy Heroes, but it also reduces the enemy team’s Core health by 1! Good luck, have fun!

      Rules:
      Every player is locked in as Nova, Default skin vs. Spectres Landing a Snipe on an enemy Hero will instantly kill them All deaths remove one health from the opposing team’s Core All players have full access to Talents and Heroic Abilities Be the first team to bring the enemy’s Core health to zero to secure victory! Rewards:
      Complete three matches of Ghost Protocol to earn a Hallow's End Loot Chest!
    • By Stan

      An informational video to give viewers key details about the 2017 HGC Finals.
      2017 HGC Finals are just one week away and the total prize pool is $1,000,000 USD.
      1st Place: 500,000 USD 2nd Place: 200,000 USD Semifinalist: 75,000 USD During BlizzCon Opening Week, 16 teams will be split into groups of four. The top two teams from each group will advance into a single-elimination bracket that will be played out on stage.
      Blizzard (Source)
      The top Heroes of the Storm talent from North America, Europe, China, and South Korea battled it out every weekend in the first season of our premier league. The HGC Finals is the zenith, the culmination of a year of high-stakes competition. These four regions will be represented by three teams each, and joined by competitors from Latin America; Southeast Asia; Taiwan; and Australia and New Zealand. During BlizzCon Opening Week, all 16 teams will be split into groups of four, where they will play through a seeded dual-tournament stage. The top two teams from each group will enter into a single-elimination bracket that will be played out on stage for the BlizzCon trophy—and the lion's share of the $1,000,000 USD prize pool. Here's a great video to get you started! You can find the full schedule on Heroes Esports.