FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Oltier

[Frost] Mage Leveling Guide 1 to 100!

Oltier what is this?

WHAT IS THIS?!

Maaaa-maaa-ma-ma-ma-mamaaaadnessssss!

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to fix it ASAP. Updating this topic is on my queue list for a long time now. Unfortunately university doesn't want me to bring it forward. :\

EDIT: I realized that I DID edit the spell ID according to wowDB. However, while the spell description etc has been updated in WoWDB, it still inserted its old name here.

Weird...

I've really enjoyed using this guide while learning my Frost Mage. Thanks! One small detail: I wasn't able to pick up the quests in Slave Pens until level 62.

• Like 1

I've really enjoyed using this guide while learning my Frost Mage. Thanks! One small detail: I wasn't able to pick up the quests in Slave Pens until level 62.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback indeed...
Feedback might help UPDATE the guide after the ability pruning :)

• Like 1

UPDATE: Edited the races section to reflect 6.0.2. changes, the guide is currently under update process, however it is going to take a lot of time to check for every single change! Be patient, please, the guide should be ready by WoD gets released, but I hope for earlier! :)

• Like 1

Played a mage since vanilla.

Your aim in to freeze and shatter in short.

Freeze + cone of cold does tons of damage

Freeze + frozen orb

Glyph of splitting ice is a must have

Freeze + ice nova x 2 is insane

Freeze + frost bomb shatter is insane

And if you pick up and damage trinkets use them before shatter.

Played a mage since vanilla.

Your aim in to freeze and shatter in short.

Freeze + cone of cold does tons of damage

Freeze + frozen orb

Glyph of splitting ice is a must have

Freeze + ice nova x 2 is insane

Freeze + frost bomb shatter is insane

And if you pick up and damage trinkets use them before shatter.

Thanks for the suggestions, the guide is currently under update and all of these were planned to be included! smile.png

Edit: during the leveling we don't suggest using Frost Bomb.

While using Freeze + Frozen orb is nice, it wastes FoF charges, so over all it's a DPS loss.

Freeze + Ice Nova is indeed insane

I guess this is a "normal" leveing guide for beginners, but here is something special for AOE classes. and i think its very easy for mages.

Bombing the ooze camps on timeless isle does take 6-7hours (with heirlooms) for 85-90  - if done on a low population server. I think thats drastically faster than anything else.

I would definetely suggest everyone this method for 85-90 since its by far the fastest, and questing those levels is really frustrating.

Edited by Gameorg

Gemeorg, as of 6.0 Blizzard implemented a system in place that reduces the amount of exp you gain when you kill multiple enemies of the same name within a period of time, exp gains from them drastically drop.

For now, they are removing it

This isn't intended to be an "anti-grind" mechanic. It's intended to be an "anti-exploit" mechanic that programmatically addresses power-leveling abuses, with the aim of letting us reward legitimate players more generously. In the past, we've often had little choice but to drastically reduce the experience awarded by certain respawning bosses or enemies that are locked in combat with other NPCs, because otherwise they'd be abused. That always felt bad to the regular player who was just passing through in the course of questing or exploration and got unexpectedly little or no experience for killing something. The goal was to come up with an approach that would be invisible to most players, but discourage sitting there and repeatedly farming the same mob for long stretches of time in order to gain experience. Alternatives like questing, dungeons, or PvP are all supposed to be more lucrative than that - WoW has never been a game in which mass-killing mobs for experience was the most efficient route.

That said, clearly this implementation is far too strict, and is triggering from a wide variety of normal activity. We're going to disable the functionality entirely and look into a much more narrowly targeted approach if and when we reintroduce it. Apologies for the inconvenience and the lack of response on the issue - we were working on understanding exactly where the algorithm was going awry, and now that we've done so, we'll be taking action in the near future.

However, I am not going to suggest anything that is completely not fun. Standing there randomly aoeing gives you no fun in the game. No wonder people get bored of wow so easily. Also, those who know about this "secret spot" most likely have already leveled up several characters and doesn't require my guide. :)

Added a rough summary of levels 90-100! smile.png

When I know more about the leveling in wod I'll update the guide.

Playing the boosted mage I got from pre-ordering but I don't seem to have some of the spells you've made mention to, i.e.: portal spells etc? Any ideas?

I have respecced many times so no idea what is causing it

Playing the boosted mage I got from pre-ordering but I don't seem to have some of the spells you've made mention to, i.e.: portal spells etc? Any ideas?

I have respecced many times so no idea what is causing it

Go to the Mage tower in stormwind, on the top floor is a portal trainer who you can purchase all the portals from.

• Like 1

At level 65 that you are talking about the quest chain from The Assassin i got to admit that when you finish it you are not being led to Nagrand plus the deleted the last 2 quest of that chain.

At level 65 that you are talking about the quest chain from The Assassin i got to admit that when you finish it you are not being led to Nagrand plus the deleted the last 2 quest of that chain.

Thank you for the report, I am going to give it a look tomorrow and fix it.

Unfortunately, after some hours of research, I cannot find the pointer quest to Nagrand for the Horde, so I have suggested a decent alternative, that I usually take while leveling.

A little tip also for the Riding skills. Write the prices on the guide with the Exalted Reputation. For example with exalted reputation Ogrimmar Artisan Riding at lvl 70 costs 4000g instead of 5000!

• Like 1

Please note, that there have been some changes in WoD, which have not been added to the guide, yet and unfortunately I don't have an ETA about when I will have time for an update.

Hi, just wanted to say this guide has been very helpful for me and was wondering if it will be updated for legion. Also, will it still be centered around frost since it is now a little more inconvenient to respec at max level.

14 hours ago, Jhoira524 said:

Hi, just wanted to say this guide has been very helpful for me and was wondering if it will be updated for legion. Also, will it still be centered around frost since it is now a little more inconvenient to respec at max level.

Hi!

To be frank, I don't know yet. I would like to update it, but nowadays I play much less with WoW than I used to. If not me, than hopefully some other mage will take over this article :)

This guide is amazing, thank you so much for doing it, this is hours and hours of work. 

I'm about to level a mage when the dynamic leveling is implemented in 7.3.5. While a Legion update would be super cool, with the next expansion around the corner it might not be worth it. 

I'd like to use you guide so that each time I get a new spell I can come back and read your descriptions that are more than the tool tip would give me. At level 10 I can say 'Cool, now I know what what water elemental does' and at level 12 when I get frost bolt I can say 'cool, frost bolt is good, but I'll keep my frostfire bolt hand' at level 14 'polymorph is good, just don't use it on something with 10% HP' But I'm not sure what low level changes Legion brought. For example, do I still want to keep my frostfire bold handy? 

If nothing has changed to the low level abilities (when you get them, what they do), cool, just let us know at the top. But if there are some changes, maybe just include a list of what they are at the bottom of the guide.

If this would be a lot of work, I'm happy to work with you while I level my mage and note any changes as I go. I'd Just need to know what info/data you need. 

On 12/14/2017 at 6:17 PM, Dratikus said:

Any chance we can get this updated?

As far as I know, Oltier doesn't play as much WoW as he did when he wrote this, so he probably isn't in a position to update it fully. I might look into correcting an odd thing or two/making a separate post to account for the updates since he wrote it.